Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Formula 1

Read 584785 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3427: Jul 24, 2016 07:29:18 pm
      Never boring when one of our own wins.

Get in Lewis ....
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3428: Jul 24, 2016 07:47:16 pm
      The only reason I seem to watch it these days is to watch Hamilton beat Rosberg. I'm bored with the rest in all honesty.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3429: Jul 26, 2016 04:16:21 pm

Absentee: The Hole Left by Michael Schumacher, Two Years Later

A room never feels so empty as when a piece of it goes missing.​

By Sam Smith

IT'S BIRDLIKE. A long, drooping nose and light enough to be pushed around by a child. With the engine off and the car's tiny power-steering rack asleep, the wheel is liquid—you can turn it with a finger, this surreal combination of fluidity and heft. The only way I can describe the sensation is to compare it with what happens when you crack an egg into a mixing bowl and you accidentally drop a small piece of eggshell into the white. You know the slippery friction of the white between your fingers when you're trying to pick up the shell? That's the parked steering feel of a 16-year-old Ferrari Formula 1 car.

How often do you get to discuss something like that? Even at this magazine, it's a rare privilege. Last year, shortly after the second anniversary of the 2013 skiing accident that nearly killed Michael Schumacher, we arranged to photograph one of the man's championship F1 cars. It was a kind of pilgrimage, a quiet homage to an individual who has spent the last two and a half years fighting for his life. I was lucky enough to sit in the car, wedging my hips into its tub in the owner's garage. Maybe it was the color—acres of Rosso Scuderia—and history playing tricks with my head, but I've never felt anything like that wheel.

Schumacher had, of course. The most revolutionary driver of the last two decades spent the red-hot core of his career in a Ferrari. The Italian marque wasn't Schumacher's first F1 drive, but it was the one that mattered. Everyone knows the plot: The German lifted the Scuderia from a laughably uncompetitive era, rebuilt its people—Jackie Stewart once labeled this Schumacher's greatest skill—and redefined racing dominance. From 1994 to 2004, Schumacher became world champion a record seven times. Five of those were with the Prancing Horse and consecutive. He still holds records for F1 poles, wins in a season, and wins in a career. He was criticized for being cold in public, but he turned car feel and team building into war-hammer science, solved the motorsport equation more completely than anyone ever had.

Our photo car helped Schumacher take his third F1 title, and his first for Ferrari. Like all modern open-wheelers, it's most interesting from the rear, where the air exits, math gone organic. The various intersecting lines and shapes make staring into the gearbox like looking up the skirt of a giant squid. Any 2016 F1 car will look similar without a degree in aerodynamics, but the Ferrari's rear wing says "Marlboro" in letters visible from space. Tobacco advertising, that motor sport lifeblood, banned since 2006.

I couldn't help dwelling on the contrast. This is a man who raced against both Ayrton Senna and Lewis Hamilton. Like Hamilton, he drove on more than emotion; like Senna, he could be a petulant twit. At Monaco in 2006, after ripping off a flyer in qualifying, he parked in the middle of the track, apparently to prevent Fernando Alonso from completing what looked like a faster lap. In a controversial decision, stewards labeled the move deliberate. All that matters is the accusation, because no one was surprised. We want our heroes to be ethically clean, but like Pete Rose, Schumacher was a little more complicated.

I'm reminded of Michael Jordan. Another titan in red. Enter an old sport, change it, dominate. Jordan retired three times. He couldn't stay away, and neither could Schumacher—the latter retired twice. Once in 2006, and again in 2012, from Mercedes. Like Jordan, he aged out of his prime but was pulled back to work by the force that produced that prime to begin with. You could see it in his eyes in a press conference, sharp enough to slice the lens from a camera. It was a reminder of the strange paradox of the famous athlete, where their passion is both public and private, personal and not. Also that Thomas Wolfe line about going home again.

Still, can you blame the guy? If you helped set one of the brightest fires a sport had ever seen, wouldn't you want to relight it when the wood turned to ash?

Not that middle age made the man slow. It takes remarkable skill to drive a modern F1 car at speed, let alone weaponize one in traffic; driving for Mercedes, Schumacher did both. But from 2010 to 2012, he was basically an also-ran, limited by multiple factors. Not the least of which was age in a business where youth is currency. Accepting the inevitable, Schumacher bowed out. Then he went skiing, hit his head on a rock, and disappeared.

He turned 47 this year, likely in a bed somewhere in Europe. Waiting to get back to his wife and children in a capacity that doesn't involve perpetual nursing. The family has made little information public. Rumors of his condition are scattered across the Internet, none worth repeating. Maybe Michael Schumacher wasn't the man he could have been, but one way or another, he was here. And we're told that he still is.

Sitting in his place, surrounded by red and carbon fiber, my hand drifted to the wheel. As a species, we aren't given a lot of people who can move the needle. They don't enter our lives predictably, and they rarely exit when we'd like. But most deserve more time than they get.

I levered myself out of the car and looked around. The Ferrari seemed smaller than it had been, crouching in the corner of a vast concrete floor. As we turned out the lights and packed to go home, the car shrank into the shadows. Walking out, the door shut behind me with a hollow click. A room never feels so empty as when a piece of it goes missing.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a29240/smithology-july-2016/

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #3430: Jul 29, 2016 02:02:19 pm
      German GP practice sessions today. I kind of get the feeling Hamilton is just looking after his engine and just concentrating on car set up.
      Interesting commentary saying nobody in the crowd cheers for Rosberg but they do for Vettel and Max.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,214 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3431: Jul 29, 2016 03:13:27 pm

Interesting commentary saying nobody in the crowd cheers for Rosberg but they do for Vettel and Max.

Really, I missed that  :-\ let's hope we see plenty of it on Sunday  :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3432: Jul 29, 2016 06:30:44 pm
      German GP practice sessions today. I kind of get the feeling Hamilton is just looking after his engine and just concentrating on car set up.

Didn't Hamilton come out a couple of years back and say 'Nico's not German - he grew up in Monte Carlo' or something along those lines? He's spent a very small proportion of his life in Germany, born there to a German mother but that's about it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,214 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3433: Jul 31, 2016 02:37:22 pm
      I've said it time and time again  ;D Rosberg simply hasn't got the bottle that Hammy has  :lmao: When push comes to shove he's not got what it takes. Hammy a class act and always exciting to watch.  :)
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #3434: Jul 31, 2016 02:59:52 pm
      63 point swing to Hamilton and proves his point if his Car finishes the Race he will win it or at least be ahead if Nico.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3435: Jul 31, 2016 04:38:41 pm
      Faultless performance by Lewis in the race today. Dominating with such a level of ease and control at the moment and fully deserving of his 19 point lead. Won 6 of the last 7 races. It makes his horror show in Azerbaijan even more confusing to understand. 

5 second penalty for Rosberg - was it harsh? It was a lot less obvious than the clanger he dropped against Lewis on the last lap in Austria a few weeks back but for the love of God - why is he refusing to turn in during these incidents? He's going straight on like a dodgem and I can only think the incident in Austria qualified his penalty for this one in the minds of the stewards. My only guess is that it's the best weapon in wheel to wheel racing he has. He can't squeeze the driver out of the racing line so he'll basically punt/t bone them out the way.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3436: Jul 31, 2016 05:00:10 pm
      Faultless performance by Lewis in the race today. Dominating with such a level of ease and control at the moment and fully deserving of his 19 point lead. Won 6 of the last 7 races. It makes his horror show in Azerbaijan even more confusing to understand. 

5 second penalty for Rosberg - was it harsh? It was a lot less obvious than the clanger he dropped against Lewis on the last lap in Austria a few weeks back but for the love of God - why is he refusing to turn in during these incidents? He's going straight on like a dodgem and I can only think the incident in Austria qualified his penalty for this one in the minds of the stewards. My only guess is that it's the best weapon in wheel to wheel racing he has. He can't squeeze the driver out of the racing line so he'll basically punt/t bone them out the way.

I'm not surprised Rosberg got the 5 second penalty. The replay clearly shows that yet again he carries on driving straight ahead and only turns once the other driver is near enough off the track. If he bothered to turn into the corner then there wouldn't have been an issue.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3437: Aug 16, 2016 02:01:56 pm
      Daniel Ricciardo.
      Track Limits.
      Radio U Turn.

The usual stuff then for the break.

https://motorsport.ie/2016/08/12/f1-in-defence-of-the-honey-badger-danielricciardo-redbullracing/
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #3438: Aug 28, 2016 01:10:27 pm
      Safety car already a chaotic mess on the first few laps.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Reply #3439: Aug 28, 2016 01:18:48 pm
      Safety car already a chaotic mess on the first few laps.

How's Lewis getting on?..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Reply #3440: Aug 28, 2016 01:23:15 pm

Wow...5th
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #3441: Aug 28, 2016 01:28:29 pm
      Race stopped another crash crazy race
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3442: Aug 28, 2016 01:32:17 pm
      Incident packed start to this race! 1998 and 2001 were pretty tough Belgian Grand Prixs to get underway if I recall! The 2001 Belgian Grand Prix had quite a similar crash to Magnusson when Luciano Burti buried his Prost car into the tyres at Blanchimont. Nearly killed him that one and took quite a while to retrieve him.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Reply #3443: Aug 28, 2016 02:00:02 pm
      Lewis up to 3rd...
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3444: Aug 28, 2016 02:06:32 pm

9th after pitting.
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #3445: Aug 28, 2016 02:49:18 pm
      Nico Rosberg wins
      Riccardo
      Lewis Hamilton
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #3446: Aug 28, 2016 02:50:16 pm
      Brilliant drive by Lewis started at the back of the field 👏👏
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,418 posts | 8648 
      Reply #3447: Aug 28, 2016 02:53:14 pm
      Brilliant drive by Lewis started at the back of the field 👏👏

He had to have a finish placing to remain in the lead, from what I was listening to on the sports news last night.

If so, great drive by Hamilton
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3448: Aug 28, 2016 03:02:05 pm
      Great drives from both Hamilton and Alonso today.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #3449: Aug 28, 2016 03:39:25 pm
      Lewis also enquired about the state of the Driver after that crash . 9 points clear with all penalties taken . I don't like Rosberg I find him a bit creepy but I don't like him being booed on the podium.

Quick Reply