Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Formula 1

Read 584704 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,653 posts | 3885 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3519: Nov 02, 2016 11:37:54 am
      I was going to ask racerx34 the same question. He seems well clued up on this. I love Hammy but thought he might of served some type of penalty on the first lap..

Wasn't Hamilton's 'advantage' neutralised by the safety car? In fairness to Lewis he was comfortably ahead and not under any significant pressure like Verstappen. There was no challenge for his position unlike Max's third place by Vettel. Also - didn't Rosberg technically gain an advantage by going off road on the first corner when successfully defending his 2nd place?

Definitely a grey area. Racer???

Massive track position gained by "playstationing" the first two corners.
      I've seen it mentioned by quite a few people that "he didn't gain an advantage".
      Misses the point for me. He didn't lose out either, which he would have done had he attempted the corner or if there had have been a gravel trap. Track limits should apply and he should have been penalised.

VSC used as an excuse not to by the stewards at the time I think.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #3520: Nov 13, 2016 11:41:55 am
      I'm not a super fan of Hamilton but I hope he wins today and Rosberg gets the engine trouble 'curse' if only to take it down to the last race.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Reply #3521: Nov 13, 2016 11:49:31 am
      I'm not a super fan of Hamilton but I hope he wins today and Rosberg gets the engine trouble 'curse' if only to take it down to the last race.

I've got a sneaky feeling Verstappen or Riccardo may piss on Rosberg's hope this afternoon...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,326 posts | 4959 
      Reply #3522: Nov 13, 2016 11:54:11 am
      I've got a sneaky feeling Verstappen or Riccardo may piss on Rosberg's hope this afternoon...

Maybe even Kimi?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Reply #3523: Nov 13, 2016 12:23:14 pm

True, Kimi is in form & sitting 3rd behind Lewis? Max is behind Rosberg & I'm sure that will be in the back of Rosberg's mind...

I'm hoping it rains just to add a little spice as we know Rosberg ain't that good in the wet...
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3524: Nov 13, 2016 12:41:41 pm
      It's so annoying to think that car issues could cost Hamilton the title rather than Rosberg being a better driver over the season. I'm hoping the other cars get stuck into Rosberg today but I'm not expecting anything.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3525: Nov 13, 2016 01:30:44 pm
      Looking at the weather it could play into Hamiltons hands. 

What I've liked about the last few races though is Lewis' calm, sometimes he can get a bit desperate to get through the field and take risky decisions when things don't go his way but he's done just what he needed and left it to Nico to chase him.

If it is a wet race I'm not sure Nico has the composure to do what's necessary and just finish the race.  I don't mind who ends up as Champion, I quite like Nico mainly because I liked his Dad when he raced and it would be nice to see him win it as it'll make Lewis more determined next season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3526: Nov 13, 2016 02:17:35 pm

Same here. For all the work he has done for Mercedes the least Nico would deserve is a world title with them but as long as it happens in Abu Dhabi I'm more than happy.

Pissing it down at Interlagos. I hope we get a full race today. This circuit in the wet - I don't think there's a more treacherous race track to drive on.

Anyone remember 2003? Sheer carnage. Wet/dry race but for turn three (coming out of the Senna S) when a burst drain meant that cars slid off into the barriers there. And then when the rest of the track had dried that turn was still coursing with water meaning cars were racing on wet tyres for a track that was 95 per cent dry! Alonso was lucky to get out of a huge smash and Fisichella won in the Jordan (only after it was contested) which was their last victory in the sport. What a race!

edit: Found a small highlights reel from that race. Something to whet your appetite for the race later this afternoon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iikUvXPKjE
      « Last Edit: Nov 13, 2016 02:36:52 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3527: Nov 13, 2016 02:38:05 pm
      Same here. For all the work he has done for Mercedes the least Nico would deserve is a world title with them but as long as it happens in Abu Dhabi I'm more than happy.

Pissing it down at Interlagos. I hope we get a full race today. This circuit in the wet - I don't think there's a more treacherous race track to drive on.

Anyone remember 2003? Sheer carnage. Wet/dry race but for turn three (coming out of the Senna S) when a burst drain meant that cars slid off into the barriers there. And then when the rest of the track had dried that turn was still coursing with water meaning cars were racing on wet tyres for a track that was 95 per cent dry! Alonso was lucky to get out of a huge smash and Fisichella won in the Jordan (only after it was contested) which was their last victory in the sport. What a race!

I remember it mate.  It was like a river running across the track.

I love those type of races though, the unpredicatbility is what makes the sport worth watching.  F***ing hate procession racing where they finish in virtually the same order they start in.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3528: Nov 13, 2016 02:56:28 pm
      I remember it mate.  It was like a river running across the track.

I love those type of races though, the unpredicatbility is what makes the sport worth watching.  F***ing hate procession racing where they finish in virtually the same order they start in.

Me too. There's nothing that much more exciting than a wet race especially if the conditions are changing from dry to wet and wet to dry.

Red Bull's are always handy in the wet so I expect them to feature and cause mayhem for Lewis and Nico. Then again, in my opinion, there ain't much better than Lewis in the wet. I'm sure Alonso will do something given the uneven conditions...just because he's Alonso.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3529: Nov 13, 2016 03:51:08 pm
      Me too. There's nothing that much more exciting than a wet race especially if the conditions are changing from dry to wet and wet to dry.

Red Bull's are always handy in the wet so I expect them to feature and cause mayhem for Lewis and Nico. Then again, in my opinion, there ain't much better than Lewis in the wet. I'm sure Alonso will do something given the uneven conditions...just because he's Alonso.

Both Lewis and Jenson in the wet but I think Jenson's too far back to influence anything.  Although Hungary a few years ago begs to differ  ;D

So long as Nico has a bit of a panic at the start and leaves the door open for the Red Bulls and Ferraris, then starts taking unnecessary risks trying to claw his way back I'll be happy  :D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3530: Nov 13, 2016 03:59:30 pm
      Plenty of rain and Button in 17th, lets see if he can work some magic and get in/near the points. Going to miss that guy when he leaves.

Looking forward to seeing how crazy Alonso is going to get too :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3531: Nov 13, 2016 04:29:54 pm
      How the hell can these lot drive at that speed in these conditions.  Absolutely bonkers!!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3532: Nov 13, 2016 04:41:09 pm
      This decision to go for Inters is bizarre. Not so much for those near the back of the grid but  for those 13+ it's crazy!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3533: Nov 13, 2016 04:51:24 pm
      Don't know what race control are doing. Racing when they shouldn't be racing and not racing when they should have been racing.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3534: Nov 13, 2016 04:54:25 pm
      I'm a good 6 or 7 minutes behind (just seen the Raikkonen crash). This race has been nothing but a F***ing joke. Crashes happening left, right and centre yet numerous teams bring their drivers in for intermediates. Do they want them to die or something?! Completely irresponsible behaviour IMO.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3535: Nov 13, 2016 05:06:03 pm
      I'm a good 6 or 7 minutes behind (just seen the Raikkonen crash). This race has been nothing but a f**king joke. Crashes happening left, right and centre yet numerous teams bring their drivers in for intermediates. Do they want them to die or something?! Completely irresponsible behaviour IMO.

Ericsson's standstill in the middle of the pit lane entrance was sheer terrifying. I genuinely don't know how or why he ended up there considering he was drifting on the opposite armco barrier. I can only think he stupidly made an attempt to get the car back into the pit lane. Why they didn't stop the race when he crashed is mind boggling considering the amount of debris on the track. Stop the race and allow the track to be cleared (and the weather possibly) and Raikkonen wouldn't have fishtailed it into the barrier. One for the shoulders of race control this one. Farcical.

edit: Oh for goodness sake. Verstappen somehow held his car after the back stepped out at the exact moment Raikkonen went into the barrier almost careering into the Finn at great speed. Terrifying from the on board footage!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3536: Nov 13, 2016 05:24:45 pm
      edit: Oh for goodness sake. Verstappen somehow held his car after the back stepped out at the exact moment Raikkonen went into the barrier almost careering into the Finn at great speed. Terrifying from the on board footage!

Scary stuff mate.

I'm not sure this is going to go the distance, they're saying now there's even heavier rain on the way.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Reply #3537: Nov 13, 2016 05:38:56 pm
      Race the cars... Track will clear once cars start..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3538: Nov 13, 2016 05:40:38 pm
      Scary stuff mate.

I'm not sure this is going to go the distance, they're saying now there's even heavier rain on the way.

Why bother getting underway in the first place? Hamilton doesn't know why. The crowd don't know - they're booing and they're leaving the race.

Race control all over the place, inconsistent. I understand the need to put the safety ahead of everything else so why tempt us all with this carrot and stick act?

Time to retire Charlie?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Reply #3539: Nov 13, 2016 05:42:54 pm
      Why bother getting underway in the first place? Hamilton doesn't know why. The crowd don't know - they're booing and they're leaving the race.

Race control all over the place. Time to retire Charlie?

Charlie has his safety hat on & as the commentator said... Jules Bianchi...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3540: Nov 13, 2016 05:44:45 pm
      Charlie has his safety hat on & as the commentator said... Jules Bianchi...

Just edited before your comment there. It's not the fact that they aren't racing that's the problem - it's the indecision by making them go out on a procession and then bringing them back in that's bound to piss off the fans. Why doesn't race control just make decision straight down the line and say 'we're not going racing for the next hour or so'. One minute they say 'we're good for a standing start' the next moment they're saying 'we're not happy for cars to race in these conditions'.

Very good comment made by Brundle - how good are these Pirelli wet tyres?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,476 posts | 4594 
      Reply #3541: Nov 13, 2016 05:52:29 pm
      Yay! Restart in 10 mins...

Quick Reply