Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Formula 1

Read 575199 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,861 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #3979: Jul 09, 2017 01:14:40 pm

Well whether I'm right or wrong what a call.  ;D
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3980: Jul 09, 2017 01:15:49 pm
      What a w**ker Kvyat is! My bold prediction got messed up after not even a lap :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,861 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3981: Jul 09, 2017 01:35:32 pm

No penalty, think we have just witnessed the best start ever in a formula 1 race. Well done Bottas  :clap: :clap:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3982: Jul 09, 2017 02:31:22 pm
      Faultless drive from Bottas all weekend. Well deserved...and a PERFECT start from him. I wouldn't have expected anything less from a cool headed Finn! Could Hamilton have gone to the inside on Ricciardo in that attempt two laps before the end? Need to see a replay. Another professional display from Danny Ricciardo despite faster cars behind him though!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3983: Jul 09, 2017 03:19:15 pm
      What a w**ker Kvyat is! My bold prediction got messed up after not even a lap :lmao:

Kvyat gets this sticker for his efforts.

https://twitter.com/xMattyG/status/884022818735783936
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3984: Jul 11, 2017 05:48:05 pm
      BRDC and Silverstone chiefs have activated a break clause that could see the end of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone after 2019. An annual 5% rise in hosting costs from when they signed the deal in 2010 was not sustainable in their eyes.

BRDC are getting criticism for having agreed such a deal back then but to be honest it was the only viable deal that could be struck which ensured that the British Grand Prix could continue. As ever, the blame has to be put on Ecclestone for running a greed culture that has seen more and more brilliant circuits priced out of hosting an f1 event. And also shame on the UK Government for doing nothing to support the race while it continues to fund . It's the only race on the calendar that doesn't receive government funding which is a disgrace when you consider how much the British motor racing industry has contributed to the British economy and all the incredible engineering successes it has achieved.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3985: Jul 12, 2017 10:49:24 am
      BRDC and Silverstone chiefs have activated a break clause that could see the end of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone after 2019. An annual 5% rise in hosting costs from when they signed the deal in 2010 was not sustainable in their eyes.

BRDC are getting criticism for having agreed such a deal back then but to be honest it was the only viable deal that could be struck which ensured that the British Grand Prix could continue. As ever, the blame has to be put on Ecclestone for running a greed culture that has seen more and more brilliant circuits priced out of hosting an f1 event. And also shame on the UK Government for doing nothing to support the race while it continues to fund . It's the only race on the calendar that doesn't receive government funding which is a disgrace when you consider how much the British motor racing industry has contributed to the British economy and all the incredible engineering successes it has achieved.

Plenty of people slating Silverstone, but they've turned increasing losses in the last 2 years.
      Hard to see what other options they have. 2 - 4 million running.
      At that rate it'll be 6, 8, 10 million losses to the end of the contract year on year.
      Easily 30 million loss. How can they sustain that?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3986: Jul 12, 2017 10:53:00 am
      Plenty of people slating Silverstone, but they've turned increasing losses in the last 2 years.
      Hard to see what other options they have. 2 - 4 million running.
      At that rate it'll be 6, 8, 10 million losses to the end of the contract year on year.
      Easily 30 million loss. How can they sustain that?

Agree.

I didn't realise that Silverstone was the only Grand Prix not helped by their Government.

As far as I'm aware, and you'd know better than me, Silverstone  is the only viable circuit to host a British Grand Prix and would be damaging to the sport to lose this one.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3987: Jul 12, 2017 11:00:48 am
      Agree.

I didn't realise that Silverstone was the only Grand Prix not helped by their Government.

As far as I'm aware, and you'd know better than me, Silverstone  is the only viable circuit to host a British Grand Prix and would be damaging to the sport to lose this one.

If it's not in Silverstone it won't be at any circuit in the UK.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3988: Jul 12, 2017 11:04:11 am
      If it's not in Silverstone it won't be at any circuit in the UK.

Yea, that's what I thought.

We've all talked in here before about how F1 needs the traditional circuits like Silverstone, Monza, Montreal etc to flourish but it seems more and more they are being squeezed out.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3989: Jul 12, 2017 08:46:48 pm
      Yea, that's what I thought.

We've all talked in here before about how F1 needs the traditional circuits like Silverstone, Monza, Montreal etc to flourish but it seems more and more they are being squeezed out.

Just can't get through a year without one of the legendary Grand Prixs being under threat it seems with the exception of Monaco.

What with an f1 demonstration down Whitehall and Trafalgar Square tonight there's been plenty of speculation regarding a Grand Prix in London with a lot of talk about a possible race being held around Docklands. To be honest with you I couldn't think of a worse place to have a British Grand Prix. Awful prospect.

It has to be a place that captures the spirit of British motor racing and no place does that better than Silverstone. Not some corporate hugging rubbish that races around the suits of Canary Wharf.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3990: Jul 12, 2017 08:54:04 pm
      Just can't get through a year without one of the legendary Grand Prixs being under threat it seems with the exception of Monaco.

What with an f1 demonstration down Whitehall and Trafalgar Square tonight there's been plenty of speculation regarding a Grand Prix in London with a lot of talk about a possible race being held around Docklands. To be honest with you I couldn't think of a worse place to have a British Grand Prix. Awful prospect.

It has to be a place that captures the spirit of British motor racing and no place does that better than Silverstone. Not some corporate hugging rubbish that races around the suits of Canary Wharf.

Agree.

While I like many of the new circuits and countries that have been added to the calender we need to preserve the 'classics' like Spa, Monza, Montreal, Silverstone etc.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3991: Jul 12, 2017 10:07:21 pm
      https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/885236272335376384

More encouraging signs over the prospect of a Kubica return. Could it happen??
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3992: Jul 12, 2017 10:08:31 pm

This would be epic.
      Movie worthy.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3993: Jul 12, 2017 10:12:35 pm

I think it will and Jolyon Palmers lack of form will have Renault keen to make a change I feel.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3994: Jul 12, 2017 10:14:32 pm
      I think it will and Jolyon Palmers lack of form will have Renault keen to make a change I feel.

Yeah. But damn, I'd love to see Kubica back.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #3995: Jul 12, 2017 10:16:40 pm

Walked past that earlier today, was a massive event and a clear indication of Liberty Media trying to draw in new fans. To be fair it looked pretty cool and I would have liked to have stuck around for the demonstration later on. It's interesting seeing the cars up close on London streets but I have to agree a street race here would be absolute sh*te. Hopefully the wrangling over the Silverstone contract is mainly focused on that barmy clause Bernie put in about the fee hike each year, and it can get sorted in time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3996: Jul 12, 2017 10:17:49 pm
      He's only 32. I genuinely thought he was older which highlights just how young he was and how his prime was still very much ahead of him when he had that horrible rally crash.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #3997: Jul 12, 2017 10:31:46 pm
      Yeah. But damn, I'd love to see Kubica back.

Me too.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3998: Jul 13, 2017 12:19:31 am
      So, Hamilton chose not to turn up. Everyone else managed to apart from him as he needed to "recharge his batteries" before Silverstone...arrogant pr**k. Didn't go down well with the people that turned out, as well as with some of the other drivers. Yet he will moan if they don't show him enough support at Silverstone.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #3999: Jul 13, 2017 12:32:55 am
      So, Hamilton chose not to turn up. Everyone else managed to apart from him as he needed to "recharge his batteries" before Silverstone...arrogant pr**k. Didn't go down well with the people that turned out, as well as with some of the other drivers. Yet he will moan if they don't show him enough support at Silverstone.

Storm in a teacup. He's done enough promo events in the past to last a lifetime and the way I see it if he wants to have a few days rest that he thinks will better serve him in the title fight then so be it. It's disappointing for some no doubt, especially young fans there, and that is the most regrettable thing for sure. But for a sport where a lot criticise the drivers for being in a constant PR mode and then when one driver says no to a PR event everyone is up in arms. Besides if F1 wants to 'engage' with fans they could start by reducing ticket prices and by not putting the Grand Prixs behind paywalls on tv. That would be a start rather than sending a Red Bull up Whitehall in first gear.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017 12:46:33 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,861 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4000: Jul 13, 2017 10:06:21 am
      Looking forward to seeing Hammy defend his crown. It's certainly no big deal to miss the odd! promotion event. He more than makes up for it before & after on the track as there's no other driver that responds to the crowds better than Hammy. He's always first to say what a great crowd/ fans they're

I would go as far to say Hammy has more fans than anyone else, my opinion of course. He certainly doesn't come accoss as arrogant, leave that accolade for the Germans  ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4001: Jul 13, 2017 05:45:15 pm
      He certainly doesn't come accoss as arrogant

You are kidding right?

Quick Reply