Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Formula 1

Read 575502 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4025: Jul 29, 2017 02:07:54 pm
      Pole for Vettel. Pretty comfortable for him in the end. Hamilton gonna need some help from his team mate tomorrow. Not a great last quali session that from him.

Decent effort by McLaren to bag 8th and 9th, to be moved up to 7th and 8th on account of Hulk's grid penalty.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4026: Jul 29, 2017 03:15:16 pm

Nope.
      Short, twisty, track.
      Fast Silverstone suited Mercs.
      Slower Hungaroring suits Ferrari.

Hopefully a sign of a kickback for the Reds.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4027: Jul 29, 2017 03:33:08 pm
      Nope.
      Short, twisty, track.
      Fast Silverstone suited Mercs.
      Slower Hungaroring suits Ferrari.

Hopefully a sign of a kickback for the Reds.

Wishful thinking my side racer  :( Ferrari were exceptional today and look like taking the honours tomorrow based on today's evidence. It's good viewing though as do we really want to see the Mercs running away with it every week.  ;D

Was really good to see McLaren making progress though.  :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4028: Jul 30, 2017 01:22:19 am
      Wishful thinking my side racer  :( Ferrari were exceptional today and look like taking the honours tomorrow based on today's evidence. It's good viewing though as do we really want to see the Mercs running away with it every week.  ;D

Was really good to see McLaren making progress though.  :)

Do we F**k!
      Great to see the Macs seemingly heading the right way.
      No Alonso wins, but certainly an improvement.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4029: Jul 30, 2017 02:17:37 pm
      Boy this is exciting' come on Hammy  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4030: Jul 30, 2017 02:24:31 pm
      I cannot seriously believe that Mercedes will tell their number 1 driver to move back over for Bottas. At this stage of the race and the championship...what the F**k are they smoking on that Merc pit wall? No. Nope - it's not happening. Surely..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4031: Jul 30, 2017 02:47:01 pm
      Wow - Hanilton allows Bottas back through at the end. Sporting it was and brilliant for inter team relationship, but suicidal in the championship sense. Ferrari would never have done that - they know how to protect their title challenge.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4032: Jul 30, 2017 02:52:43 pm
      Great drive from Fernando today - showing what a master he is AND that the McLaren chassis is a handy piece of kit - so just highlighting how atrocious Honda have been even more.

Vandoorne got 10th but I am thinking less and less of his ability. Silly pit error that was cost him and the team more points. I think for someone with great potential they have to show flashes of an ability that can occasionally match Fernando on certain days and he hasn't come close this season. McLaren could do better.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4033: Jul 30, 2017 02:53:44 pm
      I cannot seriously believe that Mercedes will tell their number 1 driver to move back over for Bottas. At this stage of the race and the championship...what the f**k are they smoking on that Merc pit wall? No. Nope - it's not happening. Surely..

Right call by Merc, plenty to play for yet & I'm sure Bittas will do the same at some point.

Shame lewus could not reign in Kimi & Seb, great race..

Alonso 6th & loving the deck chair painting of the spaniard ;D

& a nice touch by the gush of wind lifting up the pit girls skirt up on the podiums :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4034: Jul 30, 2017 03:11:48 pm
      Right call by Merc, plenty to play for yet & I'm sure Bittas will do the same at some point.

Shame lewus could not reign in Kimi & Seb, great race..

Alonso 6th & loving the deck chair painting of the spaniard ;D

& a nice touch by the gush of wind lifting up the pit girls skirt up on the podiums :)

:D There's always some with a watchful eye!

For sure, if it was agreed by Lewis that he would hand it back over (and it does seem that way) then that's fine but the mistake comes earlier in the race. The moment Lewis was right behind Valtteri's gearbox after the round of pit stops I would moved Bottas over straight away. Lewis was the faster car as shown by how much closer he got to Kimi's gearbox compared to Bottas and could have got even closer had they been swapped over immediately rather than waiting 10 laps or so.

There is a lack of ruthlessness on the Mercedes pit wall that could cost them the drivers championship. Compare that to Ferrari today when Kimi had the much faster pace due to Seb's problems and should have won and you realise just how big a gulf there is. It may rile people up the wrong way what with past incidents regarding Alonso/Massa and Schumacher/Barrichello but there is no doubt that it maximises their potential to win the championship and they make Mercedes look soft in comparison.

Two cars for each team and only one knows how to use the second car to protect and enhance their title credentials. One thing's for sure - if it was Ross Brawn on the Merc pit wall then Lewis would have been told to keep the third place. When you have those points in your hand you HAVE to cash them in regardless.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4035: Jul 30, 2017 03:25:47 pm
      Wow - Hanilton allows Bottas back through at the end. Sporting it was and brilliant for inter team relationship, but suicidal in the championship sense. Ferrari would never have done that - they know how to protect their title challenge.

Seriously I'm not at all surprised what Hammy did and was man of his word going off what team radio were saying. Unlike Vettel when team mate Raikkonen was faster but nothing said. Politics of being No 1 in Ferrari i suppose  :-\

Versappen proving yet again he's a potential world champion once he gets a motor that's on level terms with Merc & Ferrari. He reminds me so much of Hammy and is very exciting to watch.
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2017 03:31:21 pm by Keith Singleton »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4036: Jul 30, 2017 03:28:16 pm
      https://twitter.com/thebuxtonblog/status/891665089719222272

F***ing tired of the Haas pair of sub par wankers that driver for that team. All Grosjean does is moan moan moan as he did at the start of the race (forgetting just what a danger to the rest of the grid he was and can still be) and Magnusson is reckless and bang average with it as well. And both of them kept their seat for next year while fine talents like LeClerc and co remain unused. Tw*ts. F**k that team.

https://twitter.com/djmattyg007/status/891665314504515584

'Suck my balls honey'  :o
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2017 03:55:35 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4037: Jul 30, 2017 06:52:05 pm

Just finished watching the Ch4 coverage and I'm amazed Mercedes carried though with this especially since Bottas didnt seem to have the pace after letting Lewis through and also with Max so close it could have ended up much worse.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4038: Jul 30, 2017 08:48:18 pm
      Just finished watching the Ch4 coverage and I'm amazed Mercedes carried though with this especially since Bottas didnt seem to have the pace after letting Lewis through and also with Max so close it could have ended up much worse.

Yeah I still cannot understand it. While Ferrari have made it explicitly clear who is the number 1 and what driver will get favourable strategy Mercedes are, in my mind, f**king about with a delusion carried over from the previous few years where there was no outside challenge to the Hamilton/Rosberg. Given what Toto Wolff said after the race he still thinks this is the case. If he thinks Mercedes can get away with still deciding who's gonna win the title from their team while Ferrari are throwing all their weight behind Seb, then he's a bigger lightweight than I thought he was. He is no Ross Brawn. Not by a long shot.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4039: Jul 30, 2017 09:00:31 pm
      Yeah I still cannot understand it. While Ferrari have made it explicitly clear who is the number 1 and what driver will get favourable strategy Mercedes are, in my mind, f**king about with a delusion carried over from the previous few years where there was no outside challenge to the Hamilton/Rosberg. Given what Toto Wolff said after the race he still thinks this is the case. If he thinks Mercedes can get away with still deciding who's gonna win the title from their team while Ferrari are throwing all their weight behind Seb, then he's a bigger lightweight than I thought he was. He is no Ross Brawn. Not by a long shot.

I'm all for teams trying to let their guys race but after Valtteri let Lewis through it was clear the latter had the better pace.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4040: Jul 30, 2017 09:44:33 pm
      Hammy couldn't really go back on his word now could he?  Considering Hammy named arrogant by some?  :f_whistle: he's done his reparation no harm, not that there was anything wrong with it in the first place. Much as I'd like the extra points I'm glad he honoured his word. Could of seen the press/media having a field day if he ran out for 3rd.

We go into the break with the German in front  :f_whistle: but still see Hammy as firm favourite to win another Championship barring engine problems.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4041: Aug 27, 2017 02:32:47 pm
      Super ride from Hammy, go on my son  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4042: Aug 27, 2017 03:29:24 pm
      Super ride from Hammy, go on my son  ;D

He's been excellent all weekend.

Max will be getting very frustrated with these DNF's.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4043: Aug 27, 2017 03:38:49 pm
      He's been excellent all weekend.

Max will be getting very frustrated with these DNF's.

Wish it was Vettel  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4044: Aug 27, 2017 03:40:39 pm

Nah, the closeness of the pair of them is really exciting this season.

I like Lewis but honestly could take or leave him winning the championship.

Vettell in a Ferrari on the other hand. That would be a nice change.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4045: Aug 27, 2017 07:08:49 pm
      Liverpool win, Hamilton takes the victory to keep the title fight close. Perfect day.

Want to see this one go right to the very end. Would love to see Hamilton win a 4th but as Si said - Vettel in a Ferrari? Hard to deny it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4046: Aug 27, 2017 07:44:54 pm
      Liverpool win, Hamilton takes the victory to keep the title fight close. Perfect day.

Want to see this one go right to the very end. Would love to see Hamilton win a 4th but as Si said - Vettel in a Ferrari? Hard to deny it.

Aren't you forgetting United won as well.   :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4047: Aug 28, 2017 05:03:22 pm
      Aren't you forgetting United won as well.   :D

Knew I was forgetting something... :f_tongueincheek:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131488/honda-found-no-problem-with-alonso-engine

Honda implying that Alonso retired with no problem. Can't say I blame him but on the other hand one could say that it's this kind of temperament that has resulted in him remaining just a 2x world champion.

Quick Reply