Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Formula 1

Read 575641 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4324: May 13, 2018 02:40:15 pm
      Spinning & facing cars coming at you 100mph not ideal that..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4325: May 22, 2018 03:46:20 pm
      Good article by Richard Williams in The Guardian regarding Williams' plight. Interesting that he notes how Adrian Newey was wanting a slice of the Williams pie back in the 90s but was denied by Frank and Patrick Head. Something I never knew about and one that now looks like one of the worst decisions in sporting history! And here was I thinking that Ron Dennis's frosty relationship with Newey at McLaren was regrettable!

https://twitter.com/rwilliams1947/status/998820087103676416

Half of Williams problems would be solved if they had a decent driver pairing. You can throw all the money in the world at the problem by installing extravagant pay drivers but for as long as those pay drivers have neither the quality or the experience to develop a car then the whole thing is absolutely pointless and Williams are proving that this season. It's so counterproductive. Having one pay driver is fine as long as the other lead driver has considerable experience and knowledge in f1 like Massa was for them. And that was a Felipe Massa who was long past his best.
      « Last Edit: May 22, 2018 04:02:03 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4326: May 22, 2018 04:11:22 pm
      Good article by Richard Williams in The Guardian regarding Williams' plight. Interesting that he notes how Adrian Newey was wanting a slice of the Williams pie back in the 90s but was denied by Frank and Patrick Head. Something I never knew about and one that now looks like one of the worst decisions in sporting history! And here was I thinking that Ron Dennis's frosty relationship with Newey at McLaren was regrettable!

https://twitter.com/rwilliams1947/status/998820087103676416

Half of Williams problems would be solved if they had a decent driver pairing. You can throw all the money in the world at the problem by installing extravagant pay drivers but for as long as those pay drivers have neither the quality or the experience to develop a car then the whole thing is absolutely pointless and Williams are proving that this season. It's so counterproductive. Having one pay driver is fine as long as the other lead driver has considerable experience and knowledge in f1 like Massa was for them. And that was a Felipe Massa who was long past his best.

It's sad to see what's happening at Williams at the moment and like you say if they had one experienced driver alongside one of the current young lads I'm convinced they would be a bit bette off.

Still very much in danger of being left behind in F1 though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4327: May 22, 2018 04:25:26 pm
      It's sad to see what's happening at Williams at the moment and like you say if they had one experienced driver alongside one of the current young lads I'm convinced they would be a bit bette off.

Still very much in danger of being left behind in F1 though.

There's been talk in recent weeks of them moving towards a technical partnership with Mercedes not too dissimilar to the Haas-Ferrari one. That would be an equally sad state of affairs that would tell us as much about the state of f1 as it would for Williams themselves. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

I've always thought it would be fantastic if they could forge an exclusive technical partnership with a major manufacturer like they did with BMW in 2000 and McLaren once had with Mercedes (and of course failed miserably with Honda!). But of course, the prospect of new manufacturers coming into the sport is dependent upon how accessible and cost effective the sport will be after the big regulation overhaul in 2021, something that you feel Ferrari and Mercedes will do their best to thwart. I think that would be the most likely path for them to get back to the front of the grid.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4328: May 24, 2018 02:58:14 pm
      https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/999636122434265090

Nice touch by Bottas there in tribute to Mika for this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix. One of my favourite drivers ever was Hakkinen.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4329: May 24, 2018 03:02:15 pm
      https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/999636122434265090

Nice touch by Bottas there in tribute to Mika for this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix. One of my favourite drivers ever was Hakkinen.

Looks great.

Max going well in FP2 here.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4330: May 24, 2018 03:08:01 pm
      Looks great.

Max going well in FP2 here.

I think the Ferrari's may be holding something back but at this stage it looks like it's going to be a close battle for pole on Saturday afternoon. Mercedes might find it hard to get involved!

Monte Carlo as ever looking stunning! Would absolutely love to take a trip to this special weekend.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4331: May 24, 2018 03:11:52 pm
      I think the Ferrari's may be holding something back but at this stage it looks like it's going to be a close battle for pole on Saturday afternoon. Mercedes might find it hard to get involved!

Monte Carlo as ever looking stunning! Would absolutely love to take a trip to this special weekend.

Agree on the Ferraris.

Daniel just went fastest. 1.11.8
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4332: May 24, 2018 03:18:02 pm
      the only problem with this race is its not a race start at the front and keep going as you cant overtake. Spectacular views but not of Cars racing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4333: May 24, 2018 03:18:28 pm
      Agree on the Ferraris.

Daniel just went fastest. 1.11.8

I like the look of the Renault/McLaren battle. Not much separating all 4 cars there.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4334: May 24, 2018 03:30:15 pm
      the only problem with this race is its not a race start at the front and keep going as you cant overtake. Spectacular views but not of Cars racing.

Been like that for decades hasn't it but I think the extremities of the course means that it will always produce a corker every now and again when drivers just can't help but stay out of trouble. I remember the 2004 race - absolutely brilliant! So many drivers tripping up that day including Montoya and Schumacher coming together in the tunnel all culminating in Jarno Trulli winning his one and only race. Button really pressurised Jarno that day and even if it is impossible to overtake the hope is there that the pressure from the car behind may force a race ending mistake!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2693 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4335: May 24, 2018 06:06:50 pm
      I fancy Daniel for pole this weekend. He's always been fast round here.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4336: May 26, 2018 09:58:11 am
      Historic GP from Monaco on C4 now
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2693 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4337: May 26, 2018 01:55:26 pm
      Prediction! Like already said Daniel on pole. Race day Daniel for the win. Hammy takes second and Vettel 3rd. Max will have a DNF
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4338: May 27, 2018 01:10:33 pm
      Ahh Monaco! The perfect pick me up after last night! Let's hope it's a cracker. Lights out in an hour.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2693 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4339: May 27, 2018 01:12:55 pm
      Ahh Monaco! The perfect pick me up after last night! Let's hope it's a cracker. Lights out in an hour.

Trap to line win for Daneil. Only way I can now see Hammy getting second  is with the pit stops, hopefully..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4340: May 27, 2018 01:30:40 pm
      Trap to line win for Daneil. Only way I can now see Hammy getting second  is with the pit stops, hopefully..

Hard to see how anyone can beat Danny today. He's put in a masterclass all weekend so far.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2693 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4341: May 27, 2018 01:45:58 pm
      Hard to see how anyone can beat Danny today. He's put in a masterclass all weekend so far.

Always seem to do it round here though Frankly. Obviously make up of the car suits red bull over anyone else due to their being so many corners. I like Smiler (Daniel ) though.  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2693 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4342: May 27, 2018 03:04:49 pm
      Prediction! Like already said Daniel on pole. Race day Daniel for the win. Hammy takes second and Vettel 3rd. Max will have a DNF

Never predicted these tyre problems Frankly  :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4343: May 27, 2018 03:08:06 pm
      Never predicted these tyre problems Frankly  :D

This is bubbling under very nicely! Could Bottas steal an unlikely victory if the leaders tyres don't last?! Can Ricciardo continue round his problems? When will Vettel launch an attack - that's if he can! So many questions! What can Lewis do - he was 10 seconds behind Vettel not long ago!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2693 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4344: May 27, 2018 03:18:11 pm
      This is bubbling under very nicely! Could Bottas steal an unlikely victory if the leaders tyres don't last?! Can Ricciardo continue round his problems? When will Vettel launch an attack - that's if he can! So many questions! What can Lewis do - he was 10 seconds behind Vettel not long ago!

Bottas in best position but not good enough to overtake round here, he's to conservative with his driving for me. Great battle though.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4345: May 27, 2018 03:46:26 pm
      Such a boring race..
      & safety car..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4346: May 27, 2018 04:00:09 pm
      Bottas in best position but not good enough to overtake round here, he's to conservative with his driving for me. Great battle though.

Turns out none of what I questioned materialised apart from Ricciardo driving around his problem which was superb although in fairness if you are to drive around a car problem Monaco is the place to do it. If it was any other Grand Prix under those racing circumstances I'm sure the result would have been very different. Regardless only Danny deserved this one. LeClerc could have chosen to slam into Hartley earlier and preferably leaving half his car out there as we would have got a proper safety car!

Quick Reply