Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Formula 1

Read 572074 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4439: Jul 08, 2018 06:09:35 pm
      Wouldn't of happened if it was the other Merc  ;D The door would of been firmly shut.  ;)

I was shouting at Bottas to stay left and let Vettel go on the outside. Unfortunately not! I think that's the difference between Bottas and the likes of Lewis, Seb, Danny Ric - a bit too passive and not as alert on the racecraft side of things as they are.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4440: Jul 08, 2018 06:59:28 pm

Ferrari have hit Mercedes in consecutive races now time for the conspiracy theorists to come out and play

Hmmm, perhaps you have a point based on what I've just read.  ;D

Hammy accused Ferrari of using "tactics" after he was hit by Raikkonen. Toto Wolff states the collision was either deliberate or incompetent.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4441: Jul 08, 2018 08:13:20 pm
      you could ask the question did Ferrari benefit from Vetel hitting Bottas ..yes they did and did Ferrari benefit from Kimi hitting Hamilton well judging by the way Hamilton came through the field the yes I am sure Hamilton would have been far closer to winning and Bottas would may well have had a different stratergy
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4442: Jul 08, 2018 10:21:48 pm
      you could ask the question did Ferrari benefit from Vetel hitting Bottas ..yes they did and did Ferrari benefit from Kimi hitting Hamilton well judging by the way Hamilton came through the field the yes I am sure Hamilton would have been far closer to winning and Bottas would may well have had a different stratergy

I don't think it was deliberate and it certainly never crossed my mind until someone mentioned it. Kimi's never been that sort of driver and looking at the replay it's not as if he plows straight into Lewis with next to little effort to brake. He couldn't do much once his front tyre locked up.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4443: Jul 08, 2018 10:52:24 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      I was shouting at Bottas to stay left and let Vettel go on the outside. Unfortunately not! I think that's the difference between Bottas and the likes of Lewis, Seb, Danny Ric - a bit too passive and not as alert on the racecraft side of things as they are.

He did what you said and held him back. Bottas resisted two attempts by Vettel to pass him. By the third, his tyres were gone, and he had no choice but to let  those behind him by, one lap after another.

Raikkonen got the maximum penalty for the first lap collision. Wrongly imo. The stewards should realise that first lap collisions are often unavoidable, but given that it was Hamilton's home race, I suppose they had to be seen to do something.

Nice imo, to see a different winner at Silverstone for a change. But I think Vettel should have kept his emotions to himself, as Hamilton will be favourite to win in Monza later in the season. I expect him to step it up a notch, once everyone heads to Spa.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4444: Jul 08, 2018 11:18:39 pm
      He did what you said and held him back. Bottas resisted two attempts by Vettel to pass him. By the third, his tyres were gone, and he had no choice but to let  those behind him by, one lap after another.

Raikkonen got the maximum penalty for the first lap collision. Wrongly imo. The stewards should realise that first lap collisions are often unavoidable, but given that it was Hamilton's home race, I suppose they had to be seen to do something.

Nice imo, to see a different winner at Silverstone for a change. But I think Vettel should have kept his emotions to himself, as Hamilton will be favourite to win in Monza later in the season. I expect him to step it up a notch, once everyone heads to Spa.

Did I say anywhere that I was discussing the laps before Vettel overtook him? No. Bottas didn't act decisively in that Vettel overtake - the very least you should do is let them do it the long way, round the outside. Granted, he would have taken him at one point but he could have kept him back a lap longer or so. Instead of trying to look smart, you should focus on the actual comment instead of what was not said.

As for Kimi's penalty, well to suggest it was only given because it was Hamilton's home GP is ridiculous. Got to say though, for someone who endlessly witters on about the sport 'not being the same' it's astonishing that you keep coming back to it.
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2018 11:28:12 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #4445: Jul 09, 2018 12:17:41 am
      We've seen many similar collisions in the past with less, or no punishments, that have ended drivers races altogether. Indeed it's only a few weeks since there was another Ferrari-Mercedes collision in France, and the penalty was not as severe. They're racing incidents, not avoidable collisions. But Hamilton was at home this time, so I guess the full penalty had to be issued.

You said that Bottas is "too passive and not as alert" as other drivers. I said that he did what he could to hold Vettel back. It's not Monaco where you can shut the door for lap after lap, when a faster car is chasing you down.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4446: Jul 09, 2018 07:25:39 am
      Well  if Ferrari can use their cars like dodgems then so can the Mercs. In two weeks time Bottas will inadvertently take Vettel off the track..... OPPS! ME BAD. Slapped with a 20 second penalty because we know Mercs get bigger penalties than Ferrari but that's ok coz Vettel has a puncture and only finishes 5th that will do me.  :lmao:

Any takers?  :couch:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4447: Jul 09, 2018 04:37:40 pm
      Well  if Ferrari can use their cars like dodgems then so can the Mercs. In two weeks time Bottas will inadvertently take Vettel off the track..... OPPS! ME BAD. Slapped with a 20 second penalty because we know Mercs get bigger penalties than Ferrari but that's ok coz Vettel has a puncture and only finishes 5th that will do me.  :lmao:

Any takers?  :couch:

If Hamilton had got off the line anyway decent then nothing happens.
      Vettel beat him off the line, as did his teammate, and he ended up on the outside of a Ferrari as a result.
      sh*t happens. Make better starts.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4448: Jul 09, 2018 04:44:24 pm
      If Hamilton had got off the line anyway decent then nothing happens.

Sh*t happens. Make better starts.

Very true mate.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4449: Jul 21, 2018 04:51:39 pm
      Disastrous for Hamilton. Heaven for Vettel.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4450: Jul 21, 2018 05:56:38 pm
      Disastrous for Hamilton. Heaven for Vettel.

2nd reliability problems since the new update.  :(
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4451: Jul 22, 2018 03:25:52 pm
       :clap: :celebrate: :action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-031: :cool-smiley-027: :hug: :drinking: :clap:

Vettel out
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4452: Jul 22, 2018 03:26:58 pm
      Bring it home Lewis..
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4453: Jul 22, 2018 03:32:01 pm

It's coming home!   ;) ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4454: Jul 22, 2018 03:48:08 pm
      One of the most enjoyable wins I've ever seen.  ;D Vettel said last week at Silverstone we beat them on their own track. Well Karma was sweet today. Hope Hammy says we beat Vettel in his own town.  :lmao:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4455: Jul 22, 2018 04:18:41 pm
      I am minded of Vettel's out burst "we beat them at their home GP" Karma is a very powerful force for good isn't it.
      Remarkable drive by Lewis he was perfect from the first lap to the last, he did what he had to do to get into contention and when the chance came boy did he take it brilliant GP
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #4456: Jul 22, 2018 04:22:19 pm
      Great drive Lewis rubbed Vettel's nose in it      :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4457: Jul 22, 2018 05:16:52 pm
      Absolutely thrilling race! One of the most enjoyable I've seen in a long long time. Felt badly for Vettel when he slid off into the tyres - but what an iconic moment it could be?! Long long time since I remember the lead driver dropping it in that fashion. His steering wheel took a fair battering as well it must be said!! Delighted for Lewis though. Not been an easy few weeks for him but that was absolutely stupendous in the end by him and everything came together nicely for him. Played it nicely, especially his speed in comparison to his rivals when the rain started to fall, made possible by a superb and durable first stint. Played it very nicely indeed! The chaos that comes when a little sprinkle of rain happens upon the race track never fails to enthrall!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4458: Jul 22, 2018 05:44:51 pm
      Hamilton being investigated by stewards after aborting a pit stop and crossing back onto the race track, which in the rules is not allowed.

This will be bad for f1 if they take it away from him a few hours after the race finish. If you are to punish him hit a grid penalty onto the next race or something but deciding races long after everyone has gone home continues to be something f1 chiefs just don't get.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4459: Jul 22, 2018 05:53:49 pm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4460: Jul 22, 2018 05:56:22 pm
      Hamilton being investigated by stewards after aborting a pit stop and crossing back onto the race track, which in the rules is not allowed.

This will be bad for f1 if they take it away from him a few hours after the race finish. If you are to punish him hit a grid penalty onto the next race or something but deciding races long after everyone has gone home continues to be something f1 chiefs just don't get.
      Don't be putting the shitters on me now Franky  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4461: Jul 22, 2018 06:02:20 pm
      Don't be putting the shitters on me now Franky  ;D

Really good point made in the article by Keith Collantine above:

"I’ve had a look at the other instances of drivers being investigated for crossing the white line at pit entry I’ve been able to find between 2011 and 2017. There are 22 of them.

Of those, four attracted penalties:

Felipe Massa, 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix
      Carlos Sainz Jnr, 2015 Russian Grand Prix
      Kimi Raikkonen, 2016 European Grand Prix
      Pascal Wehrlein, 2017 Spanish Grand Prix

In each of those cases, drivers had been specifically warned in the Event Notes not to cross the pit entry line. In the case of this weekend, there is no such warning in the Event Notes.

Based on that I wouldn’t be surprised to see no penalty issued."

So given the FIA's past precedents you shouldn't be having the shitters. Then again, this is the FIA - consistency in applying the rules is hardly their forte.

Quick Reply