Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Formula 1

Read 575678 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4508: Aug 26, 2018 01:11:31 pm
      The two McLaren and Williams on the back two rows today.

Sad times for those teams. Grew up with them in F1 and it's not great to see them struggle.

Yeah. Tragic isn't it. I'd love to see us return to the days of Ferrari, McLaren and Williams as the top three teams on the grid like it was. Like Shabs I feel more for Williams because I think it's harder for them as shown by their complete inability to attract driving talent. With McLaren at least they can still get someone as good as Sainz in to replace Alonso next year and in Vandoorne or Stroll they've got two excellent youngsters. For McLaren it might take another two-three years before they are properly competitive again. Zak Brown announced recently that they're breaking up that 'matrix management' system which was introduced 15 years ago or so (the one which led to Newey leaving the team) as they've finally decided it is unworkable, hence the sackings of various personnel.
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2018 01:17:38 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4509: Aug 26, 2018 02:01:34 pm
      The run onto the straight past Eau Rouge - who will be in front and can they break the tow?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4510: Aug 26, 2018 02:15:54 pm
      Hammy jump start there ?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4511: Aug 26, 2018 02:20:18 pm

Didn't catch that myself. Any investigations?

Now - Lewis failed to break the tow at the top of Eau Rouge. Can Seb break the tow on the restart? And those Force Indias looked mighty at the start. Lewis will have to be very very careful up against them.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4512: Aug 26, 2018 02:22:30 pm
      Ferrari look fast today
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4513: Aug 26, 2018 02:23:57 pm
      Didn't catch that myself. Any investigations?

Doesnt look like it.  :f_whistle:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4514: Aug 26, 2018 02:32:27 pm
      Lovely move that by Bottas. Along with Becketts complex at Silverstone there's no better sight in f1 than a car navigating Eau Rouge like that. Thrilling!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4515: Aug 26, 2018 02:40:26 pm
      Lovely move that by Bottas. Along with Becketts complex at Silverstone there's no better sight in f1 than a car navigating Eau Rouge like that. Thrilling!

I swear was just thinking the same thing,  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4516: Aug 26, 2018 03:11:23 pm
      Vettel looks to have settled this. Excellent driving and use of tyres early on in his tyre stints. Not much in it and maybe a tenth or so extra for Vettel over the course of the lap.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4517: Aug 26, 2018 03:14:53 pm
      Vettel looks to have settled this. Excellent driving and use of tyres early on in his tyre stints. Not much in it and maybe a tenth or so extra for Vettel over the course of the lap.

Ferrari certainly faster than the Mercs today.  :(
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4518: Aug 26, 2018 03:17:06 pm
      Hamilton is either playing a blinder holding off until the last 5 or 6 laps or the Ferrari is simply too quick which is worrying.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4519: Aug 26, 2018 03:38:53 pm
      Ferrari certainly faster than the Mercs today.  :(

The Ferrari this season has been much faster, especially in the straights..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4520: Aug 26, 2018 03:49:38 pm
      Hamilton probably turned the wick down on his engine. 15 years ago he would have been told to keep the pressure on, keeping the gap around 3 seconds till the very end in the hope that Vettel would scrub his tyres or be forced into an error. Big fault of f1 today. Don't think Vettel was going to be overtaken in any circumstance once he got ahead though. Drove a perfect race. At full racing speed, Mercedes seemed equal to Ferrari on the fast straight sectors. I think it could be very close in Monza next week.

52nd win for Vettel. Surpasses Prost's 51 GP victories. I remember when Schumacher surpassed that record to become the most successful f1 driver of all time back in 2001. That was at Spa as well and in a Ferrari! (It was that race where Luciano Burti had a massive crash with Eddie Irvine and nearly died. First time I felt scared watching f1)

For context that Hamilton and Vettel are now both past Prost's record perhaps says more about how much more reliable the cars are and how much longer the season is now than they were back in Prost's day. Given those very favourable circumstances that Vettel and Hamilton have both benefitted from, it makes Prost's numbers even more extraordinary in my opinion.
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2018 04:02:38 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4521: Aug 26, 2018 04:15:03 pm
      The Ferrari this season has been much faster, especially in the straights..

The do edge it at moment   :(
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4522: Aug 26, 2018 04:15:36 pm
      Hamilton is either playing a blinder holding off until the last 5 or 6 laps or the Ferrari is simply too quick which is worrying.

More that latter one thinks.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #4523: Aug 31, 2018 07:32:33 pm
      As is usually the case, Hamilton got pole and led out of the first corner. By the time they got to Les Combes, Vettel was ahead and that was effectively race over, as Hamilton not for the first time at Spa, or indeed this season, gradually packed it up. He often does once the race isn't going his way. Last year there, Vettel was behind Hamilton but stayed with him most of the race, with an inferior car.

The safety first cowards had a great day hailing the Halo crap on the cars because of the first corner incident, the first such incident in 6 years. While nobody wants to see a driver suffer serious injury, Formula 1 comes with a certain amount of risk, that every driver accepts when they step into the car. La Source saw one of the most spectacular incidents in 98 in the rain. They didn't need Halos that day to be able to walk away and restart the race. And they probably wouldn't have had to this time either. We can have a start where it's everyone for themselves into Turn 1, or we can have a rolling start with zero risk. But that's not F1. It's standing start open cockpit racing at 300kph. Accidents and incidents are inevitable.

The most dangerous incident of the weekend came in the F2 race, with a driver struggling to get out of the unsafe car in time from a bad mechanical failure at Blanchimont, partly because of the Halo. While it took considerably longer for the marshalls to get there and deal with it. That wasn't tweeted by all the risk averse drivers and authorities gushing about the Halo, but it could have been far more serious. Despite having the same risks as other formulas, GP3 drivers managed to get round the circuit at the weekend safely, without needing it on their cars, as everyone else has for the previous 35 years the current Spa layout has been in use.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4524: Sep 02, 2018 02:26:52 pm
      I kid you not!! If Vettel was a footballer he would be a bigger diver than Ashley Young. The c**t always asking for something he doesn't deserve  :f_steam:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4525: Sep 02, 2018 03:32:35 pm
      Lewis Hamilton has just performed out of his skin to win the Italian GP and the Italians don't like it one bit which makes it even sweeter
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4526: Sep 02, 2018 03:36:48 pm
      I kid you not!! If Vettel was a footballer he would be a bigger diver than Ashley Young. The c**t always asking for something he doesn't deserve  :f_steam:

Devastating error by Vettel (yet again) at the start of the Grand Prix there. It's moments like those that make the gap between Seb and Lewis quite clear in my opinion. Poor move on Lewis that bordered on stupid given that he couldn't afford to make a mistake. Astonishes me re watching that replay and seeing him slicing across the track and into Lewis. Not dirty driving, just stupid and pointless.

Phenomenal race. Ferocious speed and battle between Kimi and Lewis. Gutted for Kimi - would have made my day if he had won this but Lewis's class shows once again. Superb drive by both drivers but Kimi couldn't do much with those tyres AND that he had to spend a critical portion of the lap scrubbing the life out of them just to get ahead of Lewis and then having to push to try and get ahead of Bottas who held him up. Ferrari - broken by Lewis today.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4527: Sep 02, 2018 03:41:54 pm
      Italians doing what they do best ...lack class
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4528: Sep 02, 2018 03:58:51 pm
      Devastating error by Vettel (yet again) at the start of the Grand Prix there. It's moments like those that make the gap between Seb and Lewis quite clear in my opinion. Poor move on Lewis that bordered on stupid given that he couldn't afford to make a mistake. Astonishes me re watching that replay and seeing him slicing across the track and into Lewis. Not dirty driving, just stupid and pointless.

Phenomenal race. Ferocious speed and battle between Kimi and Lewis. Gutted for Kimi - would have made my day if he had won this but Lewis's class shows once again. Superb drive by both drivers but Kimi couldn't do much with those tyres AND that he had to spend a critical portion of the lap scrubbing the life out of them just to get ahead of Lewis and then having to push to try and get ahead of Bottas who held him up. Ferrari - broken by Lewis today.

The annoying thing is though Vettel tries it on every time when basically Lewis clearly the better driver every time  when racing in equal cars. Vettel proves time and time again when pressured by Hammy he can't hack it, finally proving to me I make Hamilton the best driver of all time ( IMO )

Schumacher may of won more but that's down to having a dominant car for so long. What I would give to watch Hammy, Schumacher & Senna all race together in a same car.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4529: Sep 02, 2018 04:01:30 pm
      Italians doing what they do best ...lack class

Not seen any race comments after racing but would love Hammy to say we beat them on  their own track.  :lmao: Would be karma for what Vettel said at Silverstone.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4530: Sep 02, 2018 04:09:16 pm
      Vettel must have known Hamilton would be all over him as being in third he was going to have a great slip stream from both Ferraris.
      So let him go on the first lap wait for the DRS go past him go past Kimi and then use Kimi as a road block. Hamilton demonstrated his class today he was just perfect

Quick Reply