Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Formula 1

Read 574821 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Formula 1
      Reply #4531: Sep 02, 2018 04:19:08 pm
      The annoying thing is though Vettel tries it on every time when basically Lewis clearly the better driver every time  when racing in equal cars. Vettel proves time and time again when pressured by Hammy he can't hack it, finally proving to me I make Hamilton the best driver of all time ( IMO )

Schumacher may of won more but that's down to having a dominant car for so long. What I would give to watch Hammy, Schumacher & Senna all race together in a same car.

I'd have thought after Singapore last year Vettel would have really sharpened up his act in that department but it seems he hasn't. Which is a shame for someone who's speed and competitiveness can be utterly devastating.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4532: Sep 02, 2018 04:31:10 pm
      I think Lewis really has the edge on Vettel now he will always give way to him because he cant afford to lose any more points like today
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4533: Sep 03, 2018 12:53:45 pm
      Vandoorne dropped by McLaren for next year. Feel for him in that he was never in an easy situation given the sh*te he had to drive. Never really got the chance to show the talent he has.

But Lando Norris will partner Carlos Sainz next year. A great prospect who I'm really looking forward to seeing how he gets on. Was an absolute star in his one and only season in f3 last year and is currently running second in the F2 standings. Hard not to feel a little bit worried for Carlos and Lando given how McLaren has more or less wrecked/finished the careers of many individuals these last few seasons.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2018 12:58:23 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #4534: Sep 04, 2018 08:06:26 pm
      Quote from Keith Singleton
      The annoying thing is though Vettel tries it on every time when basically Lewis clearly the better driver every time  when racing in equal cars. Vettel proves time and time again when pressured by Hammy he can't hack it, finally proving to me I make Hamilton the best driver of all time ( IMO )

Schumacher may of won more but that's down to having a dominant car for so long.

And Hamilton hasn't?

He's not the best driver of all time, far from it. The best drivers are the earliest drivers who put their lives on the line every time they went out, and still won races.

Ronnie Petersen lost everything 40 years ago at Monza. This year, another Swede went off at exactly the same spot, armed with head protection, wheel protection, every available gadget and device to prevent serious injury, and sure enough he walked away from the shunt without a scratch. They have life very easy today by comparison.

When Hamilton hit Raikkonen in Silverstone, Raikkonen got the maximum penalty for it at Hamilton's home track. When Vettel hit Hamilton at Monza, Hamilton got off scot free, and as he has the best car, won there yet again as expected, to extend his lead. So it's Mercedes 5th win there in a row.

As usual, Ferrari are favourites in Singapore, if they can do the job this time, before the last European race of the season in Sochi.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4535: Sep 04, 2018 09:50:24 pm
      Well. Vettel has thrown it away there.
      First Germany. Now Monza.
      Ferrari should have won both.
      Ferrari were the strongest team at both.
      Vettel bottled both of them.

Love or hate Hamilton he knows how to exert pressure on his rivals.
      Alonso left McLaren. Rosberg quit the sport. Vettel cracked.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4536: Sep 05, 2018 12:15:59 am

Not forgetting his overly optimistic move on Bottas in Azerbaijan that probably cost him a win there as well. He's had the faster car over Lewis for the majority of the season and also blew it last season at Singapore so if he doesn't win the title this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Ferrari hierarchy start getting a bit short with him.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4537: Sep 05, 2018 12:29:19 am
      Not forgetting his overly optimistic move on Bottas in Azerbaijan that probably cost him a win there as well. He's had the faster car over Lewis for the majority of the season and also blew it last season at Singapore so if he doesn't win the title this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Ferrari hierarchy start getting a bit short with him.

For all the criticism of Kimi he's been the calming influence within the team.
      If he can carry recent form for the rest of the season then Ferrari have serious questions to ask.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4538: Sep 05, 2018 12:39:12 am

Fergie of F1.. Is Lewis..
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2689 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4539: Sep 05, 2018 01:38:41 am
      And Hamilton hasn't?

He's not the best driver of all time, far from it. The best drivers are the earliest drivers who put their lives on the line every time they went out, and still won races.

It's of my opinion he is. The drivers your referring to from the past couldn't go the speeds that today's F1 can thus meaning more skill is involved. I think Senna would go close though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4540: Sep 05, 2018 03:02:54 am

He's just so damn quick, consistent and faultless. He has an intensity like no other driver.

That said, Jenson Button was one who never seem flustered in his presence. Now of course, Lewis is the better driver but no one can underestimate just what a sterling job he did as Lewis's team mate in the three years they were together especially in 2011 when Jenson finished runner up to Vettel. I honestly believe that if Button was driving the Red Bull that Vettel drove that year then he would have won the title - his consistency was fantastic (performing at a higher level than his 2009 title year) and 2011 possibly contained his two finest victories, beating Vettel on the last lap in that epic Canadian GP and then beating Vettel and Fernando in a straight fight at Suzuka. Probably the season where Button drove to his highest level. By comparison it was probably Lewis's worst season in f1, only seeing flashes of his brilliance in the odd race. These days we seem to be seeing it every weekend.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4541: Sep 05, 2018 09:57:40 am
      It's of my opinion he is. The drivers your referring to from the past couldn't go the speeds that today's F1 can thus meaning more skill is involved. I think Senna would go close though.

Senna v Schumacher v Hamilton would be fireworks.
      Mind you I don't think we truly got to see Senna v Schumacher tragically.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2689 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4542: Sep 05, 2018 10:02:15 am
      Senna v Schumacher v Hamilton would be fireworks.
      Mind you I don't think we truly got to see Senna v Schumacher tragically.

All three in a Merc or Red car.  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4543: Sep 05, 2018 12:39:57 pm

Just for the sheer madness of it all put them all in the same car.
      Ferrari would probably explode under the pressure cooker of it all, so Mercedes.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4544: Sep 05, 2018 02:18:09 pm
      As much as the early era drivers were very very brave they couldn't  get near to today's drivers who are just so better prepared in every possibly way. They are so much fitter so much more knowledgeable about their Cars performance and able to work right on the limit for the entire GP.
      These modern F1 drivers are complete drivers and athletes all rolled into one mentally and physically so far ahead of the pipe and a pint after the race era.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4545: Sep 06, 2018 12:39:27 am
      Just for the sheer madness of it all put them all in the same car.
      Ferrari would probably explode under the pressure cooker of it all, so Mercedes.

Has to be a Ferrari! Add to the drama of it all if they struggle to contain the three!

My money would be on Schumi!

As much as the early era drivers were very very brave they couldn't  get near to today's drivers who are just so better prepared in every possibly way. They are so much fitter so much more knowledgeable about their Cars performance and able to work right on the limit for the entire GP.
      These modern F1 drivers are complete drivers and athletes all rolled into one mentally and physically so far ahead of the pipe and a pint after the race era.

Far too easy to dismiss drivers of the current era. As you note, they are super human. Unbelievably fit with incredible minds that have to process a constant stream of data.

That said the bravery and instinct of the legends who drove in bygone eras, especially the 60s and 70s was something else. I can't imagine what sort of mentality was required to step foot in one of those machines. There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity and that line was no thinner than in this sport during that era.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4546: Sep 06, 2018 10:01:11 am

If you wanted to watch it all end in spectacular failure, while Mercedes or Williams, depending on the era,
      mopped up all the Championships. Wow history repeats itself. :D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #4547: Sep 07, 2018 07:32:23 pm
      Quote from Keith Singleton
      The drivers your referring to from the past couldn't go the speeds that today's F1 can.

They could and they would, if the FIA let the teams express themselves. Instead everything has to be carefully controlled. Testing, tyres, engines, gearboxes, fuel consumption, penalties for unavoidable reasons, etc, etc... Even overtaking is more controlled by DRS systems than driver ability.

Today's cars would be lapping Monza in less than 60 seconds and completing the race there in less than an hour if the authorities were not obsessed with finding new ways to slow the cars down every year.

Putting Halos on cars, is like ordering professional boxers to wear helmets, in case they might get seriously injured in a bout. They could justify it on health and safety grounds sure, but doing so would change the fundamental nature of the sport, and it would be less appealing to the public. That's what Formula 1 is doing atm.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4548: Sep 15, 2018 03:02:15 pm
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2018 03:10:04 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4549: Sep 15, 2018 03:17:53 pm

Incredible from Lewis...

Ferrari must be thinking WTF.... Not even in the front 2..

Can see... Max, Vettle & Kimi collision turn 1 😀
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4550: Sep 15, 2018 03:28:56 pm
      Incredible from Lewis...

Ferrari must be thinking WTF.... Not even in the front 2..

Can see... Max, Vettle & Kimi collision turn 1 😀

Stuff like that does Keith's argument of Lewis being possibly the greatest of them all no harm at all. Ferrari have a fine car, the best on the grid, but not for the first time this season they've been left with no response against the brilliance of Lewis.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4551: Sep 15, 2018 04:40:22 pm
      Lewis dragged that Car round that circuit as if his life depended on it what a driver that lad is. Imagine how Bottas feels seeing the same car as he is in 3/4 sec. faster on a lap. Anyone fancy Max having a bit of a confrontation with Vettel on the first lap.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,853 posts | 2689 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4552: Sep 15, 2018 08:02:33 pm
      Stuff like that does Keith's argument of Lewis being possibly the greatest of them all no harm at all. Ferrari have a fine car, the best on the grid, but not for the first time this season they've been left with no response against the brilliance of Lewis.

Did you see Hammy before getting out of his car? Shaking his head in disbelief. Out performing the red car (  ;D ) again which we know current faster than the Merc must have Ferrari thinking would they try and get Hammy at any cost??

There's something ( hidden  :roll:  ) about me that would like to see Hammy in a Ferrari just to put Vettel in his place.  :D Could you see Vettel being classed as a No2 if Hammy was there.  :lmao:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4553: Sep 15, 2018 08:24:37 pm
      Back to Mercedes country now.
      Said Ferrari & Seb had to win Spa and Monza.
      They haven't.
      Hamilton on another level to Vettel right now and the power advantage no use this weekend.
      All about chassis here and Mercedes and Red Bull showing up Ferrari today.

Quick Reply