Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Who will shine for Liverpool this season?

Read 7322 times
      MsGerrard
      Who will shine for Liverpool this season?
      Jul 29, 2009 09:56:40 pm
      Diego Cavalieri    

Glen Johnson    

Daniel Agger    

Steven Gerrard    

Fernando Torres

Albert Riera    

Fabio Aurelio

Xabi Alonso    

Yossi Benayoun    

Dirk Kuyt    

Ryan Babel

Javier Mascherano    

Lucas Leiva

Emiliano Insua    

Jamie Carragher

David Ngog    

Pepe Reina

Jay Spearing    

Philipp Degen    

Damien Plessis    

Krisztian Nemeth

Nabil El Zhar

Stephen Darby

Martin Kelly

Ryan Flynn

Steven Irwin

Martin Skrtel

Andrea Dossena

Nathan Eccleston

David Martin

Martin Hansen

Peter Gulacsi

Daniel Pacheco

Mikel San Jose Dominguez

Daniel Sanchez Ayala

This is the squad, I've taken Arbeloa out and I've also taken Itandje out as I don't think he deserves to be there, copied of the Official site....left Alonso in for now  :-\

Name your top five players who you think will be outstanding for the Reds this season

1. Steven Gerrard - Our leader, had an outstanding season last season and I expect him to carry on where he left off, hope to see him lift the Premiership in May 2010.

2. Fernando Torres - Missed a lot of last season due to injury, hopefully he can have a relatively injury free season and top that top scorers list at the end of the season. Would be wonderful to see him hit 30 + goals.

3. Dirk Kuyt - Turned his football around last season, played wonderfully well, I think he will be a key player for the Reds next season.

4. Glen Johnson - He needs to play a massive role this coming season, I have been impressed with what I've seen so far, so he's named in my top 5.

5. Kristian Nemeth - He's my outsider in my top 5, after impressing in pre-season against Singapore, I would love Kristian to get many more chances this season, I hope Rafa gives him that chance, at 22 years of age, this is the season were I feel he'll come into his own.

There were many more I could have chosen, who will play a pivotal role this season, Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, to name a few, it's going to be a very interesting 2009/10 campaign.

Roll on August  :scarf:

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 11:41:33 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Added Squad »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Who will shine for Liverpool this season?
      Reply #1: Jul 29, 2009 10:01:14 pm
      Fernando Torres
      Had a injury ravaged season last year.  Simply has to get more games in this year - and as a result a goal tally like his first season at Liverpool.

Dirk Kuyt
      Seeing him with the captain's armband against Singapore reminded me of the loss of our old '3rd captain' Hyypia.  Kuyt sums up all the professional qualities a player like Hyypia had. I think he will again be Rafa's blue eyed boy.

Yossi Benayoun
      Hopefully he will continue to build upon a brilliant second half of the season.  A genuine goalscorer from midfield. I reckon he will weigh in with more crucial goals.

Lucas Leiva
      Despite a ropey start to last season gradually increased the quality of his performance and finished the season exceptionally well - even against the backdrop of the boo-boys and those looking for someone to blame. Was excellent in our demolition against United and I think next season will be a fine one.

Glen Johnson
      Hopefully he will prove our investment to be a good one.  When he scores a hatful of goals we will all be saying 'Alvaro who?'
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2: Jul 29, 2009 10:03:42 pm
      Torres
      Gerrard
      Benayoun
      Johnson
      Silva :-)
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 11:18:48 pm by MsGerrard »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Jul 29, 2009 10:11:32 pm
      Aside from the obvious the 5 players that I believe if they shine will help land us the title are

1) Babel
      2) Lucas
      3) Riera
      4) Nemeth
      5) Voronin

Nemeth for his potential goals. Lucas because he may have big boots to fill and if he can do a decent job of it could be a hero. Voronin because I believe he has a good football brain just needs the workrate to match. Riera again has bags of potential. Faded last year but at his best and if he added a few more goals could be vital.

Last but not least Babel. Bags of potential. Power pace physique the lot. Needs to believe in himself and to get more games. Should be Torres' back up but might also be vital down the flank. If he hits top form he may not only be a match winner but a championship winner. He pleaded to stay so now its up to him.
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 11:17:28 pm by MsGerrard »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Jul 29, 2009 10:14:19 pm
      Fernando Torres
      Even with an injury plagued season last time he was near the top of the goal scoring charts so injury free he is likely to match/beat his record of 33.

Steven Gerrard
      Aside from Alonso he was our best player last season and with the court case now out the way and fully off his mind I think the drive and passion for the league to come to Anfield will see him have another great season.

Dirk Kuyt
      Without doubt has earnt his right to be a key player and I think he is part of the spine and the way he played against Singapore I think is a sign of things to come from him next season.

Lucas Leiva
      Ever since he arrived at the club I have fully supported him it was great to see that towards the end of the season he was starting to show what he can do and that he can become an important player, especially if Xabi does leave. Going to have a very good season I reckon.

Yossi Benayoun
      He is our wizard, he can turn a game in an instant and is really hard to tackle. Chips in with his fair share of goals, never lets his spirits down when things aren't going his way and gives his all for the team like Kuyt. Expect he will continue last seasons great form into next.

On a side note, MsG could you maybe edit your initial post that started this topic off and put out of the current squad because already someone has put in Silva. Liverpool players only, not players we hope to be at Liverpool is how it should be IMO.
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 11:20:31 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: corrected spelling »
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #5: Jul 29, 2009 10:20:42 pm
      Pepe Reina

Always solid, our clean sheet man is sure to maintain his staggering consistency despite the changes being made in front of him. With still many years of top-class European and (hopefully) English football to come, Reina is set to challenge the greats of Liverpool and world goalkeeping.

Fernando Torres

The menacing and prolific striker, named by many as the best in the world, had his injury problems last year. Hopefully the 2009-2010 season will be an injury-free one for Torres. If it is, Torres is sure to top the goalscoring charts in every competition. I predict him to easily top 40 goals next season.

Steven Gerrard

Now, more than ever, Steven Gerrard is in the peak of his legendary career. The forthcoming season could well see the Gerrard-Torres partnership lift the career of Steven Gerrard into the stratosphere. More goals, more assists. And a great role model for the youth coming through.

Glen Johnson

Certain to be desperate to justify his price tag in his first season with The Reds, Johnson has shown (in the glimpses we have caught of him in a red shirt) that he is hungry to impress and already an accomplished player at Premier League level. Now, at a club with the stature of Liverpool, what could be the best years of his life are about to unfold in front of him. Good luck Glen! :)

Jamie Carragher

Now the elder statesman of the Anfield defence, Carragher has heard grumblings from some about his form and future at the club. The fire in his Liverpudlian belly is far from out though, and Carra can be expected to come back twice as determined, twice as fit, twice as strong and twice as hungry for more success, in particular the 'missing medal' - A Premier League Winner's Medal.

I back him, and I back the others, to bring home that title. And when they do, they'll have to keep it for ten years to make sure it only has the DNA of Liverpool Football Club on it.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 29, 2009 10:25:51 pm
      1 Reina - Best goalie in prem and he gets better each season
      2 Agger -  He can defend but also can create from the back and can pop up with the odd goal
      3 Masch - Can just protect the back four but also gives Gerrard and co the freedom to cause damage while he can just sweep up behind them.
      4 Benayoun - If he can carry on like he did at the end of last season he will be vital to our success
      5 Torres - A fit Torres will only put the fear into all defenders this year and plenty of goals to will come his way

Sorry Stevie but you are always vital in any Liverpool team so you were not forgotten.
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 11:24:46 pm by MsGerrard »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Jul 29, 2009 10:28:17 pm
      Steven Gerrard - Always does, always will do.

Fernando Torres - I don't need to say much about Nando, he's been magnificent since arriving at Anfield. If he keeps fit for more of the season then last then I expect goals amongst goals.

Dirk Kuyt - It's unbelievable the extent to which he has improved since joining Liverpool, and he's developed into one of our best players I feel. He's always ready for the fight and I think he's going to have enough very good season.

Glen Johnson - I think he's going to be a great addition for our right hand side. I felt that quite often Alvaro didn't quite know what to do when in attacking positions but Johnson is comfortable anywhere. I think he's going to get some good assists and maybe even some goals to go with it.

Daniel Agger - He's a brilliant player. One of the best footballing centre halves there are. I think if he can stay fit and avoid injury problems that plagued him last year then we will begin to see some impressive form from Daniel.

A few more who I'm hoping are going to shine:

Albert Riera - I thought he had an okay 1st season here, but I've been really impressed with him at times. Especially since the end of the season, I think he's really improving and if we don't land someone like Silva I believe Riera can be a great player for us next season.

Ryan Babel - Everyone says he's got potential, and he certainly has. It's time though that he turns that 'potential' into some real class performances out on the pitch. I'm desperate for him to do well here and it'll certainly be interesting - the left wing position next season. Riera will be wanting to further impress whilst this may well be Babel's last chance. He's said himself how much he's ready to prove his worth and I just hope he will.

If Alonso leaves/we don't find a replacement, Lucas Leiva- I'll be honest, at first, I thought he was sh*te. Then I thought he was crap. Then I thought he was okay... then crap again. A bit of a rollercoaster ride with Lucas during his first season, but much like Kuyt, what an improvement! I've been extremely impressed with him lately and I think he's actually ready now to play regularly for us. He's shown what he's capable of.

Edit: How did I forget Pepe! Just shows the calibre of our players I guess. Very difficult to pick!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Jul 29, 2009 10:46:50 pm
      Steven Gerrard - What more can you say?

Fernando Torres - He had a lot of injuries last season and will have a lot to prove to himself, which is going to put the shits up a lot of defenders in the Prem.

Dirk Kuyt - His performance against Singapore personified the fighting spirit and work rate we've come to know and love. He'll come into his own this season.

Yossi Benayoun - He improved consistently throughout last season and I can see him being an outstanding member of the team next season. The right wing is his and Kuyt's. Definitely not a problem position for us.

Glen Johnson - He has a price tag which means he is up against it from the off. The pressure will be on but I can see Glen coming straight through it and making people forget about his transfer fee.

Also fair to mention Pepe and Agger. Pepe will get the Golden Gloves. And Agger will be keen to go the whole season actually getting a game! ;)
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #9: Jul 29, 2009 10:59:48 pm
      Torres - I can see no reason why he wont build on a fantastic start to his Liverpool carrear. People always talk about needing a 20+ goals striker and in him have one. Golden Boot, Ballon D'or - Both?! Why not...

Yossi - Towards the end of last season this guy went from strength to strength. Coming on from the bench he gave us something different and his workrate is phenomenal. Not scared to run at defenders, shoot or go wide - someone I genuinely believe the youngsters looking to breakthrough should watch!

Skrtel - Solid! I'm sure the guy was born 2000 years too late - should come on the pitch with an axe... Its that classic no nonsense defending I like, when in doubt hoof it out. Also from goal kicks he will header it back in to the opposition half, none of this messing about getting caught in possession.

Riera - showed some amazing footwork in his first few outings, little tricks that got defenders worried. In a world cup season he will be constantly looking to impress, especially in Europe.

Nemeth / Pacheco / El Zhar / N'Gog - One of these will defiantly produce some magic - but I cant be sure who. Its a question of who Rafa chooses or who wants it most. All have ability, all have potential and all will get a chance (either in the Prem, League Cup, Latter stages of the Champ League Group Games). If one steps up to the plate and gets the crowd going they could make it difficult for Rafa to drop them.  

Gerrard will be crucial getting us to #19, as will Reina and Carra...

For the last 3 seasons I believed we could win back what is rightfully ours - this season I know we can!
      « Last Edit: Jul 29, 2009 11:31:20 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected spelling »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #10: Jul 29, 2009 11:13:57 pm
      Reina - is fantastic and his ability between the sticks will make sure we win more points. Can always be depended on and any mistake our defenders may make, he'll clean up

Insua - is more than capable of making the left back position his own this year and will continue to flourish to being one of the best prospects in world football.

Skrtel - outstanding player who'll turn a few heads this year. Will turn any doubters he has into firm believers.

Gerrard - will do as he always does and will again dominate the Premiership.

Torres - if he can keep away from injuries, then there's no reason why he can't bag himself another 30 goals, if not more.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #11: Jul 29, 2009 11:35:55 pm
      Apart from the obvious.......

I really think that:

BABEL - will come good, he knows that the rest of his career lies on next season and has looked rather sharp pre-season.

LUCAS - To carry on his end of season form into this season would be of great asset to the squad, regardless of if Xabi goes or stays, I think that he knows that he can push for a starting spot

INSUA - A quality crosser of the ball from the left, which means that whoever plays in front of him (be it Babel, Riera, Benny or Silva :p) wont have to worry about constantly beating his man. With Aurelio out, the spot is between him and Johnson.

DEGEN - Not been mentioned much, but from what I've seen in pre-season he has lots of pace and good feet - this could finally mean we have strength in depth in the full back positions.

DIRK - Well impressed with his form preseason..... looks sharper, fitter and stronger, with new found pace and crossing ability, definitely one to watch, could well be there with Gerrard and Carra for inspirational ability and influence within the team
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #12: Jul 29, 2009 11:43:14 pm
      GERRARD..I think now we will really see GREATNESS. I think all the pieces have come to together. The timing is perfect. I think we will watch him transform into THE best player in the world this season. He will finally get to that elite status.

I am so psyched for the start of the season. This has been the first off season which I really followed the transfers, signings, injuries, off field business.  Until I had to boycott Cohen and W.S.D.

None of my friends here in the States understand why I follow LFC or EPL. or "European Football".  I dont understand how people "Dont" follow it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Jul 29, 2009 11:47:45 pm
      ^^^ What about your other players to shine then Yank_lfc_fan besides Gerrard?
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #14: Jul 30, 2009 12:03:49 am
      Aside from the obvious the 5 players that I believe if they shine will help land us the title are

1) Babel
      2) Lucas
      3) Riera
      4) Nemeth
      5) Voronin

Nemeth for his potential goals. Lucas because he may have big boots to fill and if he can do a decent job of it could be a hero. Voronin because I believe he has a good football brain just needs the workrate to match. Riera again has bags of potential. Faded last year but at his best and if he added a few more goals could be vital.

Last but not least Babel. Bags of potential. Power pace physique the lot. Needs to believe in himself and to get more games. Should be Torres' back up but might also be vital down the flank. If he hits top form he may not only be a match winner but a championship winner. He pleaded to stay so now its up to him.

Top post.

Brian, the names you mentioned there will be key as if these boys do one better than they did last season, I can see us landing No.19....

Big season for Babel, Lucas and Voronin..... they know if they don't shine this season, they will be offloaded.
      Plus with the world cup looming, every player fighting for a place in the finals squad will need to up their  game this season. We have players in our squad who have the potential to be class. This season will be big for the so called fringe players.
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2009 12:07:08 am by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected spelling. »
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #15: Jul 30, 2009 12:18:44 am
      ^^^ What about your other players to shine then Yank_lfc_fan besides Gerrard?
      I want to see Torres shine along with Alonso, Kuyt and Benayoun and Carragher. Its not that I'm intentionally forgetting or Ignoring other players. I just think that Gerrard will far exceed expectations and become the top player in the league. Greatness is just a matter of timing. He is in position to guarantee himself "Legend" status this season.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #16: Jul 30, 2009 12:50:24 am
      1 GERRARD - Is standing on the brink of legend status (IMO already there) but needs to lift the title if that is to be recognized in years to come. I really believe his own personal desire to see his boyhood club lift the title will almost be like having an extra man on the field, he is going to have a stellar year i think.

2 TORRES - Barring injuries, he is becoming more and more lethal as time goes by, and he is still young. With Ronaldo gone, the league is looking for a new face to promote as the man of the league. That spot is Nando's by may next year. And hell, if Ronaldo had still been here, it still would have been Nando's ;)

3 KUYT - Was an absolute gem of a player last season, really gave us an extra dimension in attack. A player bought as a striker converted to and then making his own the right side, well done. He has looked in pre-season like the season never finished, real sharp and i expect him to be a real asset this season. On the shortlist to get onto my new away kit when i order it also :D Im just hanging out for new signings before i finalise...

4 ALONSO - Okay, am being very optimistic here, and am going on my glass half full philosophy. Being if he stays, i think Alonso will be immense for us. With it being a world cup year, any notion of being sulky over not being in Madrid will be quelled by the fact he would want a spot in South Africa, and the fact he has never said he would be unhappy staying in Mersy. I feel he will be a vital cog in the Red Machine marching to number 19

5 NEMETH - Jumping on the bandwagon a bit, but ive always liked the lad. And after seeing his play over the first games of the pre season, and then those goals against singapore which was quality finishing, im picking him as my pick to step up. Only just shading Pacheco for the spot in my mind, really would like to see both have a run but im backing Nemeth to break out, show that cocky Marcheda down in manure what a real super-reserve looks like ;)

Many more i could have picked, Johnson, Benayoun, Agger, Riera, Babel etc but these are the five ill really be hoping to have stellar years :)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #17: Jul 30, 2009 02:31:27 am
      Steven Gerrard
      Fernando Torres
      Dirk Kuyt
      Xabi Alonso
      Yossi Benayoun
      only 5 :( or I'd put Daniel Agger, Jamie Carragher and Pepe Reina too.

Hoping players like Ryan Babel, Lucas and Krisztian Nemeth would come out and show what our future would be too :)
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #18: Jul 30, 2009 04:34:36 am
      I would like to keep names like Torres,Gerrard,Carra,Pepe out of this list as these guys will never fail to perform as long as they have got that red shirt on.Lets see the 5s apart from these who will win us the 19th

1.Babel:While watching a few of the games in 'Rafa's greatest games' series,I was left wondering is it the same player we have got in our squad.He made all the right noises by saying he is ready to fight for his place here and don't want to leave until he makes his mark here.Just goes to show he know he owes something to the staff and fans here unlike a few others who have got absolutely no reason to be unsettled but still can't seem to commit themselves.You have said the right things la,now its time to put those words into actions.Grab all opportunities you get and fulfill your potential.
      2.Johnson:Arbeloa would get into a great goal-scoring position but would never shoot or would spoil a great attacking move.It was at those times I wish we had a complete full-back who could attack as well as he could defend and did Rafa not brought one here.He is potentially the best RB in EPL and would definitely fulfill his potential here and become one of Europe's top stars.Torres would have a field day with the kind of crosses he would sending over and the man doesn't mind taking a crack at the goal himself.
      3.Agger:Along with Johnson would be so crucial in breaking down defences at Anfield.It was massively disappointed to see him out injured and then getting involved in all the transfer speculation but he made a great decision by staying put and this season we will see the best of him.A rock at the back and a threat going forward.
      4.Benayoun:He has entered the age where a footballer hits his peak and looking at the pre-season games,he looks set to start off from where he left.Looking forward to seeing him come on and provide us with that little piece of magic when nothing else seems to be working.
      5.Insua:Already showed us what he is made up of by taking on the best offensive team in PL and producing a superb performance.Has a great footballing brain already and would only get better as the season goes on.I genuinely believe with the signing of Johnson and emergence of Insua we have now got the best back 4 in England if not the world.The first gem out of Rafa's youth factory who would reinforce that future is indeed bright.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #19: Jul 30, 2009 08:26:31 am
      Steven Gerrard - Really no explanation needed. He is our captain, and our most influential player. When we need someone to stand up and be counted, Stevie G is always on hand.

Fernando Torres - If he can stay fit, I'm sure he'll score 30+ goals this season. Even if he struggles with injuries (like he did this season, in case you forgot), he'll still come out with an impressive goal tally.

Lucas Leiva - Has gotten better and better since the turn of the year, and now with his increasing strength, and hopefully confidence, I think he'll do well this season

Dirk Kuyt - Always produces in the big games, always gives his all and I think he's going to be instrumental this season.

Jamie Carragher - No change there, then. He had a nearly faultless season last season, and he's capable of recreating that. Just need to cut out the Oggies..

Then obviously the likes of Reina, Benayoun, Insua, Masch etc.. Everyone is going to shine and we'll piss out number 19.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #20: Jul 30, 2009 09:04:33 am
      Gerrard - the leader who wants No.19 even more than the fans

Torres - the worlds number one striker

Kuyt - Rafa's workhorse - never gives up, doesn't tire easily

Agger - the long awaited replacement for 'Jockey' Hansen

Alonso - because after the hassle in the summer, he needs to !!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: Jul 30, 2009 09:29:40 am
       I expect the following five players to shine this season
         1 Gerrard-no explanation required.
         2/Torres- as above.
         3/Lucas Leiva-I expect him to repay the faith RAFA has in him and have an excellent season.
         4/Insua- I think he will make the left back position his own and consolidate the form of last season.
         5/Nemeth to be the dark horse and take the E.P.L. by storm.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #22: Jul 30, 2009 10:22:11 am
      1. Gerrard to lead us to Number 19.

2. Torres to win The Golden Boot on our way to winning Number 19.

3.  Dirk Kuyt...to keep up his fantastic ethic and work rate.

4.  Babel,  I'm hoping this is his year to make a real name for himself and to be our X Factor...conjuring stuff up out of nothing, showing us that all his attributes have finally come together and he has transformed from the rough diamond that we have seen into a finely polished gem.

5.  Jamie C.  This guy is a legend and will always give 150%. I still think he'll be our first choice CB this season, leading from the back as usual. He'll leave it up to Skrtel and Agger to fight between themselves for the other CB spot.

Quick Reply