Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Who will shine for Liverpool this season?

Read 7325 times
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Re: Who will shine for Liverpool this season?
      Reply #46: Aug 04, 2009 12:13:48 am
      Stevie G- is always inspiring those around him, I can see both himself and Torres being a thorn in side of defenders up and down the land.

Torres- with his pace and touch he has to be one of the most dangerous strikers in the league, but with Gerrard in and around Torres to give killer balls these two will be untouchable.

Lucas Leiva - the most improved player last season and this coming season I expect with Alonso gone we will see an even better Lucas sending passes short and long, he's always had this ability and in his first few years he gave us glimpses of how good he will be, expect even bigger performances from the boy from Brazil.

Pepe Riena - All good teams need someone they can trust between the sticks, this guy dominates the 18 yard box and with his quickness of though was often down as the provider of important goals. If he has a weakness it's in the crowded pen area where occasionally he comes and misses, he'll have an outstanding season of that I'm sure....

Dirk Kuyt - this guy is one outstanding team player that every team needs if they want to win anything, he came good after Christmas like a lot of others did, I expect we shall see an even better Dirk this coming season...
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Who will shine in the 2009/10 season
      Reply #47: Aug 14, 2009 01:42:38 pm
      Let’s just say this is not a discussion of the obvious candidates such as Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Jamie Carragher or Pepe Reina.  Indeed it’s not for any of the players who are first on the team sheet when fit.

This is your prediction of who will establish themselves or step up their consistency to become truly world class or will come from the fringes and make themselves a first choice selection to start the match.  Will Skrtel or Agger throw off their injury problems and become the automatic partner or indeed replacement for Jamie?  Can Glen Johnson live up to Rafa’s expectations and make the right back secure whilst providing a fruitful attacking option?  Will Dossena shock everyone and demonstrate why he was bought in the first place or will he slip off to Napoli?  Will it matter if Insua has a blinder of a season and gives Fabio a run for his money when he regains his fitness?

I can go on with this considering whether Riera will gain the consistency that would move him from a good player in fits and spurts to a great player or whether Babel is ever going to fulfil the ‘potential’ we all think he’s got or should have.  What I would like to hear is who you think will come through and establish themselves in the coming season as an Anfield favourite.  Or put another way, will Alberto have us asking Xabi Who before the end of the season?

My choice is Nabil El Zhar.  I thought he looked good whenever he came on last season and with a little more first team experience could develop into a great player.  So Nabil is my choice.  However, as a guy who has a shirt with Morientes on the back, what do I know.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Re: Who will shine in the 2009/10 season
      Reply #48: Aug 14, 2009 02:12:12 pm
      I think Insua will become our first choice left back eventually. He was fantastic last season!

Also i think Glen Johnson will fit into the team very well and become part of the core of the team.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Who will shine in the 2009/10 season
      Reply #49: Aug 14, 2009 02:37:47 pm
      My choice is Insua but close to him is Lucas.

Both young guns that are ready to shine when they hit their targets.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #50: Aug 14, 2009 03:07:54 pm
      Ryan Babbel: Will be pushed to his striking position for some games an prove that he is a striker rather than a winger - Thierry Henry style really

Usual suspects: because they are the usual suspects.

Aquallani: He will have the liberty to move along with MS Gerrard

Lucas Leiva: scouter says his power level is over 9000! OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #51: Aug 14, 2009 03:34:58 pm
      Whats the go with this scouter sh*te?

Am i missing something?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #52: Aug 14, 2009 03:36:43 pm
      Dadorious i am just as confused as you are.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #53: Aug 14, 2009 03:36:49 pm
      Lucas Leiva: scouter says his power level is over 9000! OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9,000?  That's impossible!  ;)

Torres, Gerrard, Babel, & Insua for me.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #54: Aug 14, 2009 04:22:30 pm
      What is scouter?
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #55: Aug 14, 2009 08:01:26 pm

I've just googled it and I still don't understand it.

Ryan Babbel: Will be pushed to his striking position for some games an prove that he is a striker rather than a winger - Thierry Henry style really

A brave prediction given his spectacular air shot in front of an open goal last season.

9,000?  That's impossible!  ;)

Torres, Gerrard, Babel, & Insua for me.

What we want Court is your prediction for someone different from the usual suspects to come through and shine and why.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #56: Aug 14, 2009 08:27:20 pm
      All the lads stepped up on their game and shone last season (personally I still ain't sure about Riera). So I'm looking more towards Kriszian Nemeth (who will become a big star), Glen Johnson & Daniel Pacheco (a wonderful footballing brain, this kid) to add that something extra and, with the right breaks, shine bright.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #57: Aug 14, 2009 08:33:24 pm
      Lucas - Because I said he would come good... And well I'm always right ;)

Gerrard/Torres combo - Best in world football

Johnson - Think he'll be brilliant after seeing him in pre-season

Aquilani - If he stays fit, I see him scoring quite a few

Kuyt - Will score the big goals in the big games as always
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #58: Aug 14, 2009 11:09:25 pm
      Gerrard:

Obviously. The man just gets better and better with each season and he's tasted the euphoria of a real title challenge now. He'll be doing all that's possible within himself to win the league. He's a winner.

Insua:

Really believe he's gone from a boy to a man now. Composed, tough and adventurous. I think he'll take advantage of that left back spot.

Kuyt:

Anyone can prove his work rate. It's as clear as anything. But what I think has improved with Kuyt is his determination with how he goes about his football. There was times in the past where I'd watch him run about a lot but the determination with the ball was too relaxed. Now he looks like he's in the zone. I think he'll be a huge player for us this season.

Ngog:

My wild card. I reckon he'll surprise one or two people with the impact he can have from the bench. If he concentrates on his control of the ball and doesn't run with his head down, he'll certainly shine. I've got no doubt he can cause danger with his presence.

Carragher:

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. But you don't need to teach Carragher anything. For me, this is Carragher's last real season in charge at the back. The time is nearly here for him to be 'rotated'. Does any red anywhere think he's gonna take that lying down? I didn't think so. Add to that, that he's also a winner like Gerrard is. He'll want that title this season and he'll be trying his hardest ever to give it to us.

Five players. And still a few to spare.

Let's remember that.....
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #59: Aug 16, 2009 02:30:33 pm
      For me it's:

Voronin

Since we haven't signed a back up striker a lot of responsibility will go to Voronin in that department. I don't think he's that bad to be honest, I'm actually confident he will chip in with a few goals this season.

Lucas

Impressed in pre season, still needs to improve a lot but I am confident he will improve. I'm sure he knows how important this coming season is for his career here. Expect him to hit the ground running this afternoon.

Insua

Showed his promise at times last season and I believe this will be the first season of regular first team football for the lad. Talented full back and I can see him becoming one of the best left backs around in the next few years.

Ngog

There's something about him I like. He seems different to pevious young French failures here. He's tall and quick and that can only help. Another one along with Voronin who will chip in with some goals

Riera

I think after the experience of a whole season in the Premier League, we will see huge improvements in Albert. He started well but faded at the end of the season. However he had a good Confed. Cup and I think he'll be firing this season. Will be crucial as he is our only natural winger.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #60: Sep 07, 2009 12:35:04 am
      I know this is who'll shine for the season, but over the opening month I'd say the top five to shine have been

Reina
      Johnson
      Insua
      Lucas
      Torres

(in that order)

Reina - fantastic.
      Johnson - proving he is fantastic at going forward.
      Insua - hasn't really done a thing wrong other than not knowing what to do when it comes to crossing.
      Lucas - probably been our best midfielder by some way.
      Torres - while not exactly playing to the standard he can, has still bagged himself 3 goals in 4 games. If he keeps that ratio up for 40 games, he'll end with 30 and we'll all say that's a pretty good season.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #61: Sep 07, 2009 12:46:56 am

Aquilani - If he stays fit, I see him scoring quite a few, ive saw this man play, he is on par, if not a better attacking option from midfield which will balance us better and shake up our league challenge.       

Johnson - Think he'll be brilliant after seeing him in pre-season

Kuyt - Will score the big goals in the big games as always, what a worker, a slow start by him, he can only get better

Torres. he could just win us some trophies this season, i think he will end up as prem top scorer no problems. and he will probably get european player of the year.

I think there could be a little surprise here, gerrard has started slow but he always comes good, pacheco could be a surprise hit given a chance or even ngog (really not sure about him though), voranin seems athletic (probably better than keane up to now, no saying much though)..... i will go for the easy one though and say Gerrard.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #62: Sep 07, 2009 01:38:21 am
      Stevie

Fernando

Riera

Dirk

Pacheco.

Quick Reply