Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Will we win the league this season

Read 51306 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Will we win the league this season
      Reply #69: Aug 05, 2009 10:42:28 pm
      IBut I hope to be proved wrong that’s the impression im getting though

No offence at all mate, but we all hope you're proved wrong. ;)
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #70: Aug 05, 2009 10:55:49 pm
      We are Liverpool FC supporters and born to believe that we can conquer all. It is in our blood. Rafa is our conqueror and will lead us to our destiny. Is the league title this coming season part of that destiny? ... I believe the answer is YES! YNWA
      MsGerrard
      Reply #71: Aug 05, 2009 11:37:10 pm
      Most of us start the season off by thinking we will everything in sight, and that's of course what it should be like, you have to think you are going to win everything, otherwise there is no point in entering any competition if you don't believe you will win.

We had a wonderful opportunity to clinch number 19 last season, unfortunately we just missed out, BUT this time is ours, it's time for Liverpool to dominate the League again, we haven't challenged for the League for years properly, so last year was so refreshing to be right in it till the end.

We have the bit between our teeth, we can smell victory, it was within touching distance last season, and I believe we will top the tree come May next year.

We need to start on a very positive note, not get down in the dumps if things don't go to plan, as long as Rafa gives the lads freedom to go for the win and play like we did in the latter part of last season, there's no reason why we can't do it.

We all start off on an equal footing, but we will soon sort the Men from the boys.

Go for it Liverpool, it's yours for the taking.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,224 posts | 1646 
      Reply #72: Aug 06, 2009 10:03:48 am
      We need better luck with injuries this season than last season, although last season has probably given the rest of the squad the belief that they can perform when Stevie and/or Nando are out, which can only be a good thing and lessen the responsibility on them two player's shoulders.Pushed all the way last season, but that dip in January is what ultimately cost us, despite all those draws if we had if we had turned only 2 of them into wins then we would have taken the league.

Also think that both Johnson and Aquilani will both turn out into cracking players, but despite the signings of them we are still in the position we were at the start of the window, requiring a back up striker, although I can see Voro taking that role, he's had a decent pre-season (Where have we heard that before?!) and N'Gog is also capable of coming in. Still in need of a player for the left, although if Babel and Riera both up their game then that problem could be sorted. In need of another CB also, unless Rafa plans on giving one of the youngsters a go there.

So all in all, if our squad players up it this season and can perform when called on and really give Rafa a headache about who should start, then we could have a cracking season, and hopefully the experience of last season will help us be better prepared for it this season. Win the league at Anfield against Chelsea? I like that idea.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2009 12:49:23 pm by MsGerrard »
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #73: Aug 06, 2009 10:29:02 am
      No offence at all mate, but we all hope you're proved wrong. ;)

hell things maybe looking up already with this new signing and hope we get a couple more
      UKMaverick
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #74: Aug 06, 2009 12:46:10 pm
      Apologies to UKMaverick we all need the title.

No apologies needed bro :)

Aquilani is a useful signing if we can keep him fit, im already feeling a bit more optomistic ;)
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #75: Aug 06, 2009 01:04:28 pm
      We need to stay positive Rafa is going with proven class international players in the transfer market. they have a better chance of making it in the EPL. the second tier strikers have to step up there game like Babel, Ngog, Voronin for us to be # 1. injuries are such an important element. cant depend on Torres and Gerrard  to play all 38 games. so that's why its important for the second stringers to improve on last year. in Rafa we trust.
      « Last Edit: Aug 06, 2009 04:58:43 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Players names have capital letters at the start. »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #76: Aug 09, 2009 05:14:23 pm
      Ive just watched the Charity Shield.

I never watch the Mankers or Chavs if I can help it but wanted to take a look at the opposition.

We've NOTHING to worry about.

Best Chance for years to us to take the Premiership.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #77: Aug 09, 2009 05:23:24 pm
      I think we have all the chances in the world to win this but all in the hands of our players, will they rise to the challenge? If we could overcome the draws we got against lesser teams, i reckon we will bag this 19th title.

Off topic: Served you right Slur Ferguscum! One title went down the drain!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #78: Aug 09, 2009 05:25:43 pm
      Man united looked dangerous in the first half but then played like 5yr olds in the 2nd. Cech and Foster were both dreadful but defiantly two horse race between us and the chavs. If we can win against the lesser teams number 19 should be ours.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #79: Aug 09, 2009 05:36:13 pm
      Well, Xabi's departure is a real loss but I'm sure Rafa knows what he's doing.

I know people say that we are a two-man team because Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres get lotsa goals for us and are easily two of our best players. We've won games without either one of them or both last season and it shows we can step it up without our influential skipper and goal machine. What I want is both of them to stay fit all season because that would be a great boost and help to the team.

Man United have been really weaken when they sold Cristiano Ronaldo and did not buy Carlos Tevez, and replacing them with Antonio Valencia and Michael Owen. Both of them came on as subs just now and didn't really do much. They did play well in the first have, though. Arsenal only added Thomas Vermaelen and have sold both Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor. I wouldn't worry too much about yet but Andrey Arshavin looks like their most dangerous player now. Chelsea, well they have a big squad consisting of big players. Didn't look the usual Chelsea in the first half but stepped it up in the second. Even though Man City added many names to their squad in the summer, I believe it's difficult for them to find form and balance. Owners will get a fit if Mark Hughes does not deliver.

I'd say Man United and Chelsea are our main rivals. Chelsea looked real strong and Man United, they're always our rivals. If we can get maximum points our 26 matches against the "lesser" teams excluding Villa, Everton and Tottenham, I believe number 19 will return.
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #80: Aug 09, 2009 05:48:14 pm
      Heart says yes head says no , we just haven't got all the pieces in place , I know there's still 3 weeks to go till the window shuts but I can't see that there will be any more big deals being done , I heard from a good source they had chief scout at old Trafford watching valencia last week , keeping my fingers crossed it's to tap silva, mata  or villa up ,I still think Chelsea and man utd have more quality than us , the signing of Glen Johnson was a good addition but i dont think it's enough to take us that final step , Rafa's budget is a lot less than we need or he thinks the likes San Jose , nemeth, pacheco are ready to make there mark we'll have to wait and see.

gman08
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #81: Aug 09, 2009 06:08:27 pm
      I reckon we still need to sign at least 1 or 2 good players. We need quality in depth.

The youngsters are great, but experience is important especially when playing bigger teams.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #82: Aug 09, 2009 08:30:35 pm
      I wouldn't be so quick to say we're definitely going to win the league in evidence of the Charity Shield.  Have you been watching our pre-season?  ::)

As I've said before, I reckon it will be very tight between us, Chelsea and United...and I'd even say Arsenal who have been written off by many, are dark horses.  I'm quietly confident though that we're just as good as any team in the league and if our main players can stay fit then there's no reason why we won't win the league.  I would say though that United and Chelsea have better strength in depth but man for man first XI, I think we have the strongest team, even without Alonso.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #83: Aug 09, 2009 08:41:25 pm
      If we don't have injuries to key players like last year i think we can win the league but that is were our strenghth in our squad sometimes lacks to Man U and Chelsea.

Will be a lot closer this year as there are more teams that might be able to take points off the top 4 of last year which will make it a lot more interesting.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #84: Aug 09, 2009 09:47:24 pm

Will be a lot closer this year as there are more teams that might be able to take points off the top 4 of last year which will make it a lot more interesting.
      That's a very valid point mate as some of the "chasing" clubs will have strengthened by the time the transfer window closes.After Xabi's unfortunate departure,Rafa quickly used the cash to secure Aquilani,so hopefully even more goals from midfield next season.I'm also convinced that Rafa will have identified the areas in the squad that need improving.With the current squad,the best manager and backroom staff in the world and with the best fans in the world, will we win it? Heart says yes, head says yes also.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #85: Aug 09, 2009 09:53:16 pm
      Obviously i think we'll win the league but it's foolish to discount the opposition.

Chelski are playing well under Ancelotti and will be their usual dangerous selves.

ManUre might not have Ronaldo and Tevez but they have the experience and will still be our biggest threat i think. As much as we hate it, Michael Owen is fit and scoring goals and as long as he gets the service he will score.

Arsenal will be the surprise package, they have Arshavin, Fabregas and Bendtner with awesome young players like Wilshire and Vela breaking through and when Arsenal play flowing football they're brilliant (remember Arshavin's 4 goal extravaganza last season?) so i'd be surprised if they weren't there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

It'll be our year i'm sure but we can't get complacent, even as fans.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #86: Aug 10, 2009 02:30:23 am
      Totally agree with you Big Red. Have to stay composed. Missing Aquilani for the first few weeks is disapointing. Hope we can cope. If we made 1 more quality signing id feel more confident. Great chance to win the league
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #87: Aug 10, 2009 02:52:36 am
      Hate to say it...but I just don't see us winning the league as of sunday, 8th aug. If we get a striker, if agger and skrtel get fit very soon, aqulini settles quickly and riera and babel show real, consistent form then we can win it. But I am more concerned than last season.
      Enough of the 'pessimitic or optomistic' responses as well! All are intitled to an opinion without having been labled in some faux intellectual agruement. That's so condescending.
      From what I have seen in pre season (yes I know its ONLY preseason)...the chavs have looked really good and man nure have looked like the building blocks of a solid team.
      Think we will come 2nd to the chavs...behind by 6 points more if we do not improve our team
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #88: Aug 10, 2009 03:43:09 am
      In 38 matches last season we only lost 2 but drew 11.  The winners lost 4 but drew 6. 

Defensively we were strong, to have only been beaten twice, but the area of improvement needs to be scoring the critical goal required to turn the draws into wins.  Much was made last season of Uniteds fortunate fate in how they were lucky in racking up a bucket full of 1-0 wins. 

This season United wont have the Ronaldo factor, perhaps the main factor in how they were able to pinch those vital 1-0 wins. I would expect United to therefore score less than 90 points this year as some of those wins turn into frustrating draws, the likes of what we have endured last season.

For me, Chelsea are the worry, because once Hiddink arrived, and switched to a system of playing both Anelka and Drogba together, rather than the conservative method of one or the other, they looked much more dangerous up front. It seems that Ancelotti has quickly adopted the same approach and with Chelsea's midfield threat of Lampard, and Essien being back in the fold they will be hard to stop.

Our problem, is that even if we did buy a striker as cover for Torres, I doubt Benitez would play the two of them together. You then have the Peter Crouch, or Robbie Keane problem all over again. Frustrated players not getting a regular start, under constant pressure to come on in the 70th minute and deliver, or be heavily criticised.

After that Middlesborough loss we seemed to come out there and play without fear, when everything seemed lost, we found our mojo. Defensively we may have looked shaky for brief periods, where we had Torres, Benayoun, Kuyt, Gerrard all joining in the assault on goal.  If we are to continue down that that path, and play aggressively, risking the occasional shortage at the back then the rewards will be reaped, and we can win the title.
      In other words, its more about our style, and intent, and less about who is on the pitch. Playing an attacking style, like we did after Middlesborough, Torres, Gerrard, Kuyt and Benayoun are all quite capable of getting the job done up front, and if they play that attacking style they are equally as capable as anything Chelsea or United have going forward. 
      matze1979
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #89: Aug 10, 2009 06:38:26 am
      Heart says yes head says no , we just haven't got all the pieces in place , I know there's still 3 weeks to go till the window shuts but I can't see that there will be any more big deals being done , I heard from a good source they had chief scout at old Trafford watching valencia last week , keeping my fingers crossed it's to tap silva, mata  or villa up ,I still think Chelsea and man utd have more quality than us , the signing of Glen Johnson was a good addition but I dont think it's enough to take us that final step , Rafa's budget is a lot less than we need or he thinks the likes San Jose , nemeth, pacheco are ready to make there mark we'll have to wait and see.  

100% agree, but I´m full of hope.
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2009 07:35:37 am by ayrton77, Reason: Fixed quote »
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #90: Aug 10, 2009 08:09:39 am
      I think that no matter who we else buy this season ( meaning possible realistic transfers) it's still not going to fill that void that Xabi left , and we are definitely wakened from last season whether we like it or not some 3 key players have left ( Arbeloa , Xabi and Sami ) . Sami provided a good solid back up  now I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY regretting the fact we let him go considering the situation we are in right now . And Arby was really good for us too last season . I know we've got Johnson but Arby could've played left back until Fabio comes back (Insua is still quite young to start games week in week out ) . And the only real useful signing who will make an immediate impact is Johnson . Aqullaini will miss the first two months of the season which means that Lucas will get a starting place , I'm not bashing the lad or anything but I just feel he isn't starting material just as of now and he hasn't the creativity , he's trying very hard and I respect him for that . But we will be a different team from last season and a weakened team that too . And judging by our pre season results we look like a team who has been broken up we have to learn to glue ourselves back to together before the start of the season .  

As for out league title chances ...yes we have  good chance to win it , but I just have this gut feeling about the start of the season  . The scums are also weakened by injures too so they won't be a problem the team who I see a real threat is Chelsea they were very good in pre season and look good as a team ...so I feel they'll start with a bang and then go down form there .

But I believe in this squad we have ...

I feel that the begging will be shaky for us but when we bond more as a new team and more players come back from injury I feel by the end of May we will be crowned champions of England and Europe  .

YNWA
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #91: Aug 10, 2009 08:23:16 am
      (RAFA  TO DISCUSS TRANSFER BUDGET WITH YANKS ) this should all be sorted out  apr/ may time , we are just under a week away from the start of the season and R afa hasn't got a clue what he's working with , why does everything work at a snails pace at this club I thought things would improve now that coco the clown had gone , is there anyone based at melwood representing the two yank pricks that own this club .

Quick Reply