Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Best left back?

Read 1875 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Best left back?
      Aug 01, 2009 03:36:18 pm
      Same as the best keeper and right back threads.

It's a little trickier though as some of our best left backs recently have not been natural left backs such as Arby, Carra. But from those who are this is the list I've compiled;

Aurelio?
      Riise?
      Staunton?
      Bjornebye?
      Dicks?
      Burrows?
      Beglin?
      Nicol?
      A. Kennedy?
      J. Jones?
      Lindsay?
      Byrne?
      Moran?

From what I've seen it's a toss up between Stig or Stan. I'm gonna go with Stig because I really loved watching those days in the 90s in the 3-5-2 with the wingbacks.

I know a lot of people will pick Gerry Byrne simply because of the 65 cup final when he played almost the entire match with a broken collar bone. But I think the best we've had is probably Barney Rubble aka Alan Kennedy. I'm sure a few would want Nicol in the list as well, so he can be counted even if he's already in the running for the best right back.
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2010 07:16:02 pm by dunlop liddell shankly »
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Best left back?
      Reply #1: Aug 01, 2009 04:00:49 pm
      I would have to say riise, now when he first arrived he looked like a very useful, young, enthusiastic star of tomorrow and he sure didn't let us down! He was consistently blessed with a lethal strike and sometimes he would go off trying to score when he could have done with getting back to defend! I still believe that had he been less of an attacking player we would not have gone out looking for aurellio, which would have mean we would not have been blessed with his outstanding ability either.  I miss seeing riise actually, he is a player you could watch all day and still be amazed when he does exactally the same on another day, kind of like carra or kuyt where they just do their job with a touch of class!   
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #2: Aug 01, 2009 04:14:36 pm
      Best left back for me Alan Kennedy, used to  love watching him play. Joey Jones before my time. Riise was class until he started to go off the boil towards the end
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #3: Aug 01, 2009 04:21:18 pm
      Alec Lindsay was my hero as a kid. I was once in the Anfield road for a night match(reserves) he hit a shot from outside the box which sailed over the bar and promptly hit a bloke who was carrying some cups of tea.He hit him dead centre in the side of the head and he went down like a bag of sh*te. He went of the rails a bit and finished his #Anfield career to soon but a great left back and scored one of the best goals in a cup final only to be disallowed for offside even though he wasnt.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #4: Aug 01, 2009 10:19:58 pm
      Alec Lindsay was my hero as a kid. I was once in the Anfield road for a night match(reserves) he hit a shot from outside the box which sailed over the bar and promptly hit a bloke who was carrying some cups of tea.He hit him dead centre in the side of the head and he went down like a bag of sh*te. He went of the rails a bit and finished his #Anfield career to soon but a great left back and scored one of the best goals in a cup final only to be disallowed for offside even though he wasnt.
      Alec Lindsay was indeed a great left back and was another who could pass the ball with precision.He was bought from Bury by Shanks and was originally a half back or inside forward.He did his customary spell in the reserves and was converted to full back by Shanks,another masterstroke.His nickname used to be Marty Feldman as known by the  Anfield faithful.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #5: Aug 01, 2009 11:03:37 pm
      I would have to say in my time it has to be Riise for me.

The lad on his day was world class. I've missed those belters and free kicks that could knock a wall down :(
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Aug 02, 2009 04:42:21 am
      Aurelio or Riise are the options i have. Aurelio is a better defender but his injuries set him back - after 2 or 3 games though, he is back at being a top class left back.

Riise, he had goals in him but this hid the fact he was edgy in defence.

Tough choice but i'll go for Riise only because he could score goals no one else could and he proved it over a longer period than Aurelio.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #7: Aug 02, 2009 05:49:15 am
      Djimi Traore.
      Bowlesy88
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 200 posts |
      Reply #8: Aug 02, 2009 01:54:31 pm
      riise for me, such a powerful player, despite that own goal, i always think it was a shame he went
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #9: Aug 02, 2009 02:51:45 pm
      riise but if I had grew up in the 70's and 80'S I would say Alan Kennedy
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #10: Aug 02, 2009 04:23:06 pm
      Again we've had a few absolute gems at left back. My first instinct was to plump for Alec Lindsay (LB when i started following the Reds), just ahead of 'Barney' but you know what? -  i was letting head rule heart. In the end i went with my 'heart' - one of my all time favourite Redmen - Joey Jones.

Joey was hard as F**k and would have kicked the stars out of the sky for the Reds. A proper, no nonsense full-back; even if wingers could have passed him, they didn't - they were too F***ing scared to. ;D
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 02, 2009 09:03:29 pm
      Alan Kennedy for me, Always steady, good defending and also a great supporting fullback
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #12: Aug 02, 2009 11:05:31 pm

;D, u been on the guiness lad?

Quick Reply