Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Alberto Aquilani Player Thread

Read 493540 times
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Re: Alberto Aquilani Playerio Threadio
      Reply #1449: Feb 21, 2010 02:13:18 pm
      on the bench again today, getting fed up with this
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1450: Feb 21, 2010 02:24:10 pm
      on the bench again today, getting fed up with this

He was woeful against Unirea. God awful. In a massive game, we're playing our usual set up and it's worked more often than not for us.

Does he deserve to be in the first XI right now? Definitely not, in my opinion.

But this should be in the match thread, anyway.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #1451: Feb 21, 2010 02:33:38 pm

Aquilani had a shocker against Urziceni, and that wasn't because he was misplacing passes or whatever, but he hid from the ball, he didn't drop into spaces like Alonso or Gerrard would have. He looked completely wasted in that position, against a team he should have been bossing.

I think it's time to move Gerrard back into midfield and let Aquilani play off the striker.

That would seem to be the case in the Urziceni game it's surprising that the switch wasn't made there because the lad didn't look suited to the roll he was assigned.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #1452: Feb 21, 2010 11:25:58 pm
      He doesnt deserve a place in the team so i dont know why your getting fed up.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1453: Feb 21, 2010 11:46:57 pm
      He doesnt deserve a place in the team so I dont know why your getting fed up.

Fair point that. People crying over someone who has done next to nothing in his brief appearances so far. Example of a fair comparison Pacheco, very little time on the field but helped create a goal the othe night.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #1454: Feb 21, 2010 11:52:06 pm
      Patience is key
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      Reply #1455: Feb 22, 2010 12:01:00 am

Correct. But at the same time some are demanding this lad play when he has yet to prove hes worthy of a regular place
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #1456: Feb 22, 2010 12:09:47 am
      Correct. But at the same time some are demanding this lad play when he has yet to prove hes worthy of a regular place

People need to realise... Every player takes time to settle down.. He has only played few games... come through a bad injury.... adapting to a new league.. new country...new colleagues/boss/coaches/club... He is a human...

Good example... It took ladyboy Ronaldo bit of time to settle down at United.. and he had no bad injury when he arrived at the club...

We have seen glimpes of him so far.. but we wont see the real Aquliani until next season..
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      Reply #1457: Feb 22, 2010 12:15:12 am
      People need to realise... Every player takes time to settle down.. He has only played few games... come through a bad injury.... adapting to a new league.. new country...new colleagues/boss/coaches/club... He is a human...

Good example... It took ladyboy Ronaldo bit of time to settle down at United.. and he had no bad injury when he arrived at the club...

We have seen glimpes of him so far.. but we wont see the real Aquliani until next season..

Ive no doubt hes good and will prove it however until he does it whilst on the pitch its very unfair to say he should be in ahead of Lucas
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #1458: Feb 22, 2010 01:05:27 am
      Lucas deserves to be in the line up ahead of Aquliani... so far this season..
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #1459: Feb 22, 2010 09:10:09 am
      The lad needs to bulk up a bit because he looks to light weight for the English league. His attacking abilities are spot on it just seems that the game is going at a speed he is not used to and he seems to rush his decisions in making a pass or taking a shot.

I don't see him as a player that can play in the midfield along side Masch as his tackle is awful. I don't think he has managed one whilst playing in the side. His best position would probably be where Gerard is playing right now behind the striker. He seemed to link up well with Kuyt and probably had his best game for us against Spurs at home this season.

Maybe this is not the season we will see the best out of Alberto Aquilani maybe next season where he has had a few games in pre season under his belt is where we will see the best of him.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1460: Feb 22, 2010 12:14:28 pm
      The lad needs to bulk up a bit because he looks to light weight for the English league

From what I've seen, I agree. He doesn't have to be Schwarzenegger, but at the moment he just looks so weak.

It seems like when he has to pass further than 10-15 yards, the ball struggles to make it. :D

Technically he seems sound, just needs time and patience to adapt to the pace and strength of the league. Lucas was able to adapt to the physical side, I don't see why Alberto won't be able to.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #1461: Feb 22, 2010 12:52:59 pm
      Just hope rafa doesnt do a keane with him.
      Next season we will see the real aquilani i have no doubt,so far what ive seen of him he will come good.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1462: Feb 22, 2010 01:14:29 pm
      I think his weak ankle may have something to do with it. If i were him, i'd be paranoid every tackle i make would mean i'd be out for another month.

Then again, may be a puff and just weak
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1463: Feb 22, 2010 03:42:37 pm
      If he is 100% and flying will be very interesting does Rafa play him because he seems on intent on playing 2 defensive midfielders.
      Chach
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #1464: Feb 23, 2010 01:02:19 pm
      Why doesnt rafa play him in a more advance role rather then defensive, his best performances for the reds have come from playing behind the striker
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #1465: Feb 23, 2010 06:26:09 pm
      I fully expect a goal and nothing less from this lad on Thursday against Urine.
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #1466: Feb 23, 2010 10:14:02 pm
      Why doesnt rafa play him in a more advance role rather then defensive, his best performances for the reds have come from playing behind the striker

Is what I've been wondering. He should defiantly be in with a shout over the next three or four games.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1467: Feb 24, 2010 09:40:52 am
      He was woeful against Unirea. God awful. In a massive game, we're playing our usual set up and it's worked more often than not for us.

Does he deserve to be in the first XI right now? Definitely not, in my opinion.

But this should be in the match thread, anyway.

He has hid from the ball on many occasions. It was the first thing I noticed about him. He more or less follows the ball but stays in a position where you can't pass to him.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #1468: Feb 24, 2010 11:47:06 am
      He has hid from the ball on many occasions. It was the first thing I noticed about him. He more or less follows the ball but stays in a position where you can't pass to him.

Funny how opinions can be SO different!!I thought he readily got into space to make himself available.Alberto needs time imo.I remember reading a very frank and honest interview Dossena gave on the massive difference in the EPL and how difficult it can be to adjust.This boy has CLASS and time WILL prove that.Of that I am sure.  
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2010 09:26:21 pm by MsGerrard »
      Chach
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #1469: Feb 24, 2010 12:41:32 pm
      He should be played in a more advanced role, becasue hes the type of player that wants time on the ball and playing him in an attacking midfielder role is perfect for hime. Plus when he does breaks forward and has the ball in possession he needs to be more confidents and should shoot more often, he seems to nervous to shoot from outside the box

Also have the reds actually lost a game when aquilani has started, I think we've won them all
      yoyo-yoyo
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts | -1 
      Reply #1470: Feb 24, 2010 02:07:19 pm
       we wont see the real Aquilani till next season.
      IMHO he was a gamble that unfortunately hasnt paid off.........Jury still out
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #1471: Feb 25, 2010 07:49:11 am
      Funny how opinions can be SO different!!I thought he readily got into space to make himself available.Alberto needs time imo.I remember reading a very frank and honest interview Dossena gave on the massive difference in the EPL and how difficult it can be to adjust.This boy has CLASS and time WILL prove that.Of that I am sure. 
      You're right and I think most people are realistic enough to appreciate the difference between the leagues and the difficulties players face when trying to adapt.
      That said, we can only judge him on how he is doing now, not with blind faith that he will flourish later on. So far, I have been totally underwhelmed by Aquilani and although I wouldn't go as far as to say that we're carrying him, I think his contribution has been pretty minimal so far.
      Hopefully he will come good and be a star for us next season but it's the hear and now that we need to be concerned with.

Quick Reply