Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Prematch: Tottenham v Liverpool (Premiership) [16/8/09 - 16:00 kick off]

Read 26804 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Prematch: Tottenham v Liverpool (Premiership) [16/8/09 - 16:00 kick off]
      Reply #23: Aug 09, 2009 01:14:55 pm
      To be honest that's just to keep some moaner happy. I don't see the point in having the date or time because it's not that date or time for the world, it's only that for the people in the UK and as Liverpool fans we should know when we kick off anyway.

Tell me about it! Friggin' English time shits me up the wall ::)

No one mentioned Robbie Keane yet. Remember that bloke?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #24: Aug 09, 2009 01:23:55 pm
      Aquilani playing? I'd be happier with Lucas playing against Spurs tbh. Play Aquilani against a weaker team to get him started
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,043 posts | 3352 
      Reply #25: Aug 09, 2009 01:24:05 pm
      Tell me about it! Friggin' English time shits me up the wall ::)

No one mentioned Robbie Keane yet. Remember that bloke?

And don't forget Crouchy, Crouchy. ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: Aug 09, 2009 01:32:33 pm
      Aquilani playing? I'd be happier with Lucas playing against Spurs tbh. Play Aquilani against a weaker team to get him started

How's the rock your living under, Mags? :D He's out for 1/2 months.

I didnt forget, DLS. Just seemed to be alot of stick in Keane's direction last time out. Going to be sad to see Crouchy in a white shirt for Spurs, he's better than that.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #27: Aug 09, 2009 01:35:11 pm
      Well at least its a step up from Pompey. If he does well at spurs he might stay there for longer than we expect.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #28: Aug 09, 2009 01:49:26 pm
      Well at least its a step up from Pompey. If he does well at spurs he might stay there for longer than we expect.

Well put  :D
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #29: Aug 09, 2009 01:53:54 pm

Aquilani is out for 4-8 weeks Mag.

Toughie this one. I hope none of the international players get a knock. All of the players without internationals really need to put this week to good use.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #30: Aug 09, 2009 05:32:25 pm
      Harry Redknapp will want a flyer and Crouchie would love to net in the opening game.

Its going to be a tough start away from home. Ive gone for a 0 - 1 and hope we get it.

Would have had more confidence for the off, if the pre seasons had gone differently and we didn't have some injuries in the defence.
      Just need to grind out the 3 points for the first few games until momentum sets in.

BTW. Stupid time to set down Internationals!
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #31: Aug 09, 2009 05:51:02 pm
      My team for this:

Reina
      Johnson Carra Agger Insua
      Lucas Mascherano
      Kuyt Gerrard Riera
      Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Degen, Skrtel, Dossena, Benayoun, Babel, N'gog.

Obviously Aurelio, el Zhar and Aqualini are all out for this game.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #32: Aug 09, 2009 06:15:03 pm
      Spurs are not an ideal team to be facing to kick off the brand spanking new season.
      Spurs are more than capable of giving us a game especially at the very beginning of the term- no team wants to lose.
      We are also more than capable of that shaky start to a campaign if memory serves, and with the additional pressures of defensive and some might argue midfield issues, perhaps an even more wobbly start than usual.
      We will have to be careful with this one needing to win it.
      While we undoubtedly have that ability in spades, our players must believe and be fired up ready for that challenge. Benitez will in turn need to astutely man manage and be as tactically aware as he has ever been.
      It would have been great if we didn't have, as I understand it, an international break to get our hairs and thumbs in knots over sweating on the potential injuries that could be inflicted on our key players; but should Cara return to boss the back, Lucas come out from under the shadows of all the "can Liverpool survive without Alonso" hoopla and stake his place in the first team and Gerrard and Torres cement that partnership that may soon go down in Premiership folklore as the "wow, did you ever get the chance to see it" double act, then I'm quietly confident that the rustiness and "lets try this" attitude that Rafa had in pre-season, and which most certainly contributed to what has to be adjudged as a pretty appalling pre-season might just come good after all.
      Spurs with two ex players were always going to be a tough opener, but as far as I can remember, Liverpool do tough pretty well. Heck, to my mind I don't think we know how to do things any other way!
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #33: Aug 09, 2009 06:18:22 pm
      Really can't wait for it all to kick off again. The pre-season was poor by most standards but this is the real deal now and I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't pick up the three points. Spurs are missing almost all of their centre backs and although trips to WHL are usually difficult, I'm expecting a comfortable 2-0 win. However, the first game is all about picking up a win so I'd gladly take a winner going in off Torres's backside in the last minute.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #34: Aug 09, 2009 06:26:57 pm
      Win ugly/pretty I just don't care.  Chelsk  will have a win by then IMO so we need to keep in with the leaders from the start....no risks guys, esp Glenn keep your eyes on the defensive duties and then go forward!!   ;)
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #35: Aug 09, 2009 09:06:47 pm
      Very hard opening game but whoever you play on opening day of season its always a tough game.

Going for a 2-1 victory and get revenge for the defeat of last season.

Just hope all come back fit from the stupid internationals this week.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #36: Aug 09, 2009 09:24:14 pm
      Looking for a good, strong start and a good foundation for the season so i'll go for 2-0 to the Redmen with Torres and Lucas getting the goals.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 09, 2009 09:34:21 pm
      I have no problem with a draw at Spurs. Last season we're beaten away, somehow, I still don't know how it happened.
      Considering it's the first game of the season, with 2 main central defenders injured, with a new right back still settling in and Torres+Gerrard who still have not found their feeling as a pair, I would settle for a draw and be not ambitious. Of course I would get a win but still, don't hang our expectation too high just yet. :)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #38: Aug 09, 2009 09:59:50 pm
      Because this is a competitive league match, I expect all of the selected squad to step up a gear. Tactically Rafa has to unleash the caution ( as at the end of last season). I'm going for a 2-0 win, with Benny and Kuyt scoring.
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2009 10:21:07 pm by Venison 86 »
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #39: Aug 09, 2009 10:04:49 pm
      Reina

Johnson-----Carragher-----Kelly-----Insua

Mascherano------Lucas

Kuyt-----Gerrard-----Babel

Torres

That's my team.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #40: Aug 09, 2009 10:07:02 pm
      Agger or Skrtel at least one of them will be fit. Wouldnt you start one of them ?
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #41: Aug 09, 2009 10:18:18 pm
      Reina

Johnson-----Carragher-----Kelly-----Insua

Mascherano------Lucas

Kuyt-----Gerrard-----Babel

Torres

That's my team.

Well that would be a suitable team, I would only interchange Carragher to the left side. So there's a bit more strength with Insua and Carragher and Kelly and Johnson. As oppose to 2 young players alongside each other.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,043 posts | 3352 
      Reply #42: Aug 09, 2009 10:19:54 pm
      Agger or Skrtel at least one of them will be fit. Wouldnt you start one of them ?

Skrtel hasn't played since the 22nd of July and Agger the 26th. I doubt either would be match fit.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #43: Aug 09, 2009 10:25:22 pm
      He should sit them down and play the DVD of last season's corresponding fixture. If we play like that again we won't be beaten. We'll stroll it. We should have had seven there last year, and the jammy cu*ts f***in beat us. At least there's no shitanta, sorry, setanta to jinx us this year.
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2009 10:27:30 pm by Venison 86 »
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      Reply #44: Aug 09, 2009 10:31:36 pm
      Skrtel hasn't played since the 22nd of July and Agger the 26th. I doubt either would be match fit.

Oh well i still have faith in Kelly he is rock solid in my eyes.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,043 posts | 3352 
      Reply #45: Aug 09, 2009 10:34:42 pm
      Oh well i still have faith in Kelly he is rock solid in my eyes.

Against possibly the best strike force in the league? Spurs have everything covered in their forward line.

Height in Crouch
      Natural goalscorer in Defoe
      Clever thinker in Keane
      And the sh*t one in the Russian bloke :laugh:

This is no game to hand a young centre half his league debut in. Spurs would make mince meat of him.

Quick Reply