Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Do foreign players understand home based competitions

Read 2040 times
      artc
      • Forum Dean Saunders
      • Started Topic

• 62 posts |
      Do foreign players understand home based competitions
      Jan 03, 2010 11:04:41 am
      I write this because it appears to me that after yesterdays FA cup display that foreign players have no concept of what tradition means to UK supporters, i point to the Carling Cup and the FA cup and to some degree the Premiership. We can not lay yesterdays poor performance at Rafa's door, you would have thought that the team had just been beamed in from another planet, they couldn't pass, they couldn't keep hold of the ball, they had no awareness where any players were, Gerrard stepping over the ball twice and giving possession to Reading because they were the only players near him. I can understand the mindset of these players, they only understand the European comps, because that's what they were brought up on and i can also understand what the home grown players feel when 3/4 of the the team can't be bothered, you could see the difference with Darby, the lad had a very good game yesterday, do we have an answer to this ? other than to play 11 British players, now there's a thought !!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Do foreign players understand home based competitions
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2010 11:06:37 am
      I'm sure some of them do, well most of them saying that the Spanish have the Copa Del Ray (or something like that) and most other countries have a domestic cup. Also the ones like Nando and Reina will have a deeper understanding about the FA cup in particular and all it's history.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2010 11:22:11 am
      Think this is harsh.

I thought all our English players were below par yesterday.

Gerrard stepping over the ball twice and giving possession away has nothing to do with Foreign players not understanding domestic cups, and more to do with him having his head up his arse.
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2010 11:23:28 am
      They played just as sh*t in Europe as they did out of it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2010 11:45:20 am
      Doesnt give a flying sh*te where your from and what the competition is the name of the game is to win and failing that at least play in a way that you look like your attempting to win.

3 scousers there yesterday. 2 done little more then hoof the ball around the pitch and the other strolled around still in a sulk over the season so far
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Jan 03, 2010 11:53:40 am
      10 of 11 players that crossed the white line yesterday were not good enough in my opinion, you can't blame that on not understanding the cup.

When you look at how we are playing there is a lack of passion, determination to go on and win games, its like the fire in the belly of our players have been extinguished.

I've never witnessed any Liverpool side in history give the ball away needlessly so many times in one game, it was a pathetic showing by all to be honest, but the bottom line is they get paid massive amounts of money to play football for Liverpool FC if that and the pride of wearing the Red Shirt can not motivate them to turn in performances worthy of their wages perhaps there footballing careers should lie elsewhere.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,499 posts | 2869 
      Reply #6: Jan 03, 2010 11:54:16 am
      The foreigners and English players are all playing equally sh*t in Europe, the league and the domestic cup competitions.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #7: Jan 03, 2010 09:16:07 pm
      They played just as sh*t in Europe as they did out of it.
      Worse in Europe if you as me
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #8: Jan 03, 2010 09:25:48 pm
      Que? 
      Wat  ? 
      Quoi ? 

Say again?
      clogger
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -2 
      Reply #9: Jan 04, 2010 02:28:13 am
      Heady tennis anyone. Shall we See how far we can hoof it..... it's just not the domestic cups where these players don't give 100% its everywhere and it's not jut commitment, it's lack of ability. 5 year plan is turning into a joke and I'm not laughing....
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2010 03:16:21 am by clogger »
      Dangerous Dave
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 04, 2010 03:16:36 am
      Bottom line is that local or foreign, these footballers are paid professionals. It doesnt matter if they are playing a training match or a cup final. They are paid to do their job, not use their discretion as to whether it is a big match or not.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #11: Jan 04, 2010 06:02:13 am

Houllier saying that!
      clogger
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -2 
      Reply #12: Jan 04, 2010 06:52:17 pm
      Heady tennis anyone. Shall we See how far we can hoof it..... it's just not the domestic cups where these players don't give 100% its everywhere and it's not jut commitment, it's lack of ability. 5 year plan is turning into a joke and I'm not laughing....

Quick Reply