Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today?

Pepe Reina
      (58.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (1.1%)
      Lucas
      (6.2%)
      Glen Johnson
      (16.9%)
      Emiliano Insua
      (1.7%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (15.3%)

Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger

Read 37285 times
      g.adair
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Re: Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger
      Reply #46: Aug 16, 2009 06:14:10 pm
      The game completly changed when benayoun came on ..shud start every game .
      woeful performance but it can only get better two home games next and at least it was'nt 6-1 at home like that shower across the park.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #47: Aug 16, 2009 06:14:19 pm
      Mist the first half were we that bad ?

Were we that bad? It was a disaster. We went back to 3 years ago the way we played with those stray passes, side passes, back passes, long balls, high balls, no urgency at all until the opposition scores, scared to run at defenders, scared to go behind defenders, no creativity etc etc. What's going on Rafa. Looks like the boys had a holiday too long. A weeks deduction of wages for everyone except Glen, Benayoun and Pepe. An overhaul in tactics and mentality is required. Rafa stop being the mr. nice guy start to harass referees to get favourable decisions. We loosing most if not all of theose 50-50 balls tells us that our team is not physically competitive.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #48: Aug 16, 2009 06:14:23 pm
      Next game, Babel cannot start. Benayoun instead.

It gets to the point though with these games where you think what's the point in being negative after you have released your anger.

Spurs are a decent side, tough ground to go too and they take points off the 'top four' a lot. As long as dropping points isn't frequent during the season then this result is hardly catastrophic, and we were pretty unlucky to get a second penalty there. Important now that the lads don't let this result haunt them because only one game has been played!

We'll be back to winning ways next game.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #49: Aug 16, 2009 06:14:37 pm
      Torres, how f**king useless was he?

King and Bassong marked him out of the game. It was difficult because both were strong players as well, the crosses weren't coming in from left right centre, Gerrard was pushed back by Huddlestone and Palacios, and then Kuyt was nowhere to be seen. Add to that Babel.

No space he was given today. I'm not blaming him, the marking was too tight and even no one managed a good shot at goal, besides Stevie G.
      JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #50: Aug 16, 2009 06:14:53 pm
      This performance smacked of how we would play a couple years ago.

Too cautious first half, attack second half. we should be attacking throughout like second half last season.

Does anyone else think Rafa has not handled our pre-season well at all? All the other teams had their first-team play more full games together, and their first-team started playing earlier in the preseason.

Pep Reina man of the match.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #51: Aug 16, 2009 06:15:13 pm
      Mist the first half were we that bad ?

Gareth, the BS were probally better, we were bad. Mainly I feel because, we were getting alot of kicks and knocks, and generally not passing to each other, on defending we had no width, so they ruled the wings. If it was not for Pepe, they could have had 3.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #52: Aug 16, 2009 06:15:39 pm
      I think when Yossi came on he changed the game for the better, he had a good game and looked probably our most likely player to score
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #53: Aug 16, 2009 06:16:40 pm
      I agree croucino people are quick to jump on Babel, Lucas and Voronin's back but Torres was shocking today. He couldnt control the ball if his life depended on it yes he had Bassong and King on his back but failed to do the simple things and what pissed me off was his lying on the ground and carrying on everytime he was brought down. What ever happened to shutting the F**k up getting to your feet and sprinting back to win the ball?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #54: Aug 16, 2009 06:16:49 pm
      Babel had another chance and yet again hasn't taken it I'd prefer Dossena ahead of him at the moment.
      gman08
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #55: Aug 16, 2009 06:17:01 pm
      Horrible performance, only bright sparks were Pepe and Benayoun. Phil Dowd was F***ing bullshit, but that's not an excuse for such a bad performance. Babel and Voronin especially were crap, i reckon they should shape up or ship out.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #56: Aug 16, 2009 06:17:16 pm
      King and Bassong marked him out of the game. It was difficult because both were strong players as well, the crosses weren't coming in from left right centre, Gerrard was pushed back by Huddlestone and Palacios, and then Kuyt was nowhere to be seen. Add to that Babel.

No space he was given today. I'm not blaming him, the marking was too tight and even no one managed a good shot at goal, besides Stevie G.

No, he ran in to dead ends. The only time i saw him pass it to good effect was to Johnson in the 85th as he looked to spread it. Even then he had Dirk and Steven in position to shoot.

He was sh*t - tight marking or no tight marking. Deal with what your faced with, and he spent more time on the floor than Drogba. Did he even get a shot in, besides that sitter of a header?
      ssr.w
      • Forum David Johnson

• 245 posts |
      • Liverbird tattoed in my heart!
      Reply #57: Aug 16, 2009 06:17:27 pm
      Bad Points:
      1. The Ref had a poor match, but however poor the ref is - he can not be blamed for our inept "performance".
      2. Babel is f**king sh*t. Sell him, cut our loses and bring in Silva - FFS.
      3. I thought Torres looked like he couldn't be arsed out there today.
      4. When Tottenham went ahead - there was no urgency to get back into the game and when we found it, it was too late to change the deficit and get something from the match.
      5. Lucas. People may not agree, but this Kid is not the solution to our problems.

Good Points:
      1. Benayoun. When he came on, he changed the game - completely. He ran at defenders and changed the way we went about attacking.
      2. Gerrards off the mark already. 1 to his name.

Anyone else think Gerrard didn't look 100% fit? He looked like he was struggling today. Couldn't get involved at all.

I maybe on my own here; but get rid of Lucas and Babel and bring in Silva and somebody who is actually half decent FFS.

Lucas had a decent game but we need someone better and strenger as well, and about SteveG he shown in the 2nd spurs goal when the ball hits the wall he was talking with his mates instead of look where the ball is and he was walking!!! don't get me wrong i love SG but this time he was in another place...

we deserve to lose playing that way..
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #58: Aug 16, 2009 06:17:35 pm
      Alright. Lets get that out of the way now. Lets put this stupid performance and bad luck behind us. 12th now? Well that only means it's all up from here.

From now on, Benayoun should start on the left, on the right, in the middle, in goal, wherever he feels like starting, he should. Babel is this (|  |) close to gone in my eyes.

It's also good to see BOTH wing backs playing magnificently. IMO, wingbacks Men of the Match, followed by Pepe, Lucas and then Masch. The rest were all pretty poor except for Benayoun after he came on.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #59: Aug 16, 2009 06:18:23 pm
      We should not blame the referee. He may have had his retarded moments but we wouldn't be talking about Phil Dowd if we had turned up. We only have ourselves to blame.

We do not have a player who controls the pace of the game anymore or that spark of creativity.Another thing I am not too happy about is our strenght in depth. Imagine if Yossi and Riera started, our substitutes would look like Cavallier, Babel, Voronin, Spearing, Ayala, Kelly and Dossena.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #60: Aug 16, 2009 06:18:36 pm
      Gerrard can be faulted today too. Yes, he scored his penalty but he certainly didn't help matters with Torres with pretty poor support.

Anyway, I've had enough of being negative. We're Liverpool, we only lose a few times a season and this is one of those few.

Bring on the next game I say.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #61: Aug 16, 2009 06:19:16 pm

Torres spend half the game on the ground licking his wounds, he wasn't really fighting through it which is what we are use to. For me Torres didn't really look up to competing today with King and Bassong. We are use to him beating 2 or 3 men at a time but he wasn't even holding the ball up well enough to bring in the other players, the attack simply died when it got to him.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #62: Aug 16, 2009 06:19:20 pm
      Know what? If you can't laugh, what can you do?

We were pathetic in the first, and that's what undone us. We're still in pre-season form, but we ALL know that once we get going, we can and WILL demolish other teams 5-0 or 6-0.

Forget this match, there's still 111 points left to play for ;).
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #63: Aug 16, 2009 06:19:32 pm
      Gareth, the BS were probally better, we were bad. Mainly I feel because, we were getting alot of kicks and knocks, and generally not passing to each other, on defending we had no width, so they ruled the wings. If it was not for Pepe, they could have had 3.
      Cheer's mate I will have to watch it later.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #64: Aug 16, 2009 06:19:41 pm
      Towards the latter part of the season I thought Benayoun was one of our best players. I am not sure why he is not included in the starting eleven, unless he is carrying an injury. He certainly added a spark to our movement forward when he came on, as did Gerrard when he dropped a bit further back into midfield second half.
      Voronim was shoved over in pretty reckless and obvious fashion, so not sure what the ref interpreted that as, the only unusual thing was that he was shoved in the side and not in the back, perhaps confusing the ref into thinking it was a shoulder barge. (Penalty nonetheless)

The clash between Cara and Skrtel seemed to affect us right thru the game, and the defence is looking short now, after being our strength last season. Torres definately looked to be injured, another worry along with Gerrard not being 100%.  Voronim and Babel are struggling, and when you look at an average club like Spurs having two better strikers on the bench than those two it is a worry.
      Liked the efforts of Johnson, Pepe and Benayoun. Early days as yet so lets see how we bounce back.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #65: Aug 16, 2009 06:19:54 pm
      this might be a bit harsh to some but i was disappointed in skrtel coming off. i can see how his jaw must have been hurting but i can say for sure nobody from the shankly/paisley era would have dreamt of coming off for that. for all his tough guy appearance i think he's a bit of a baby.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #66: Aug 16, 2009 06:20:06 pm
      The game completly changed when benayoun came on ..shud start every game .
      woeful performance but it can only get better two home games next and at least it was'nt 6-1 at home like that shower across the park.

Only one thing though, does he have enough energy to play like he did against Spurs today if he has started from minute 1.

Yeah thankfully we weren't beaten by 6 goals. Hopefully we're getting better, much better in the next few games.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #67: Aug 16, 2009 06:20:23 pm
      No, he ran in to dead ends. The only time I saw him pass it to good effect was to Johnson in the 85th as he looked to spread it. Even then he had Dirk and Steven in position to shoot.

He was sh*t - tight marking or no tight marking. Deal with what your faced with, and he spent more time on the floor than Drogba. Did he even get a shot in, besides that sitter of a header?

Well, still don't agree with you. Once Spurs got it up 2-1 then I felt that they were putting more men in their box. They wanted to defend their lead but all these just cut off the supplies to Torres.

No doubt that he has spent a lot of time on the floor but I've seen determination from him. Not going to blame him for not winning, but in fact going to blame the team as a whole and especially Babel. The first half we were complete crap, nowhere near our standard at all. We were playing park footy and that was it.

Babel did nothing decent today.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #68: Aug 16, 2009 06:20:46 pm
      Babel had another chance and yet again hasn't taken it I'd prefer Dossena ahead of him at the moment.
      Dossena??, my F***ing granny could run the wing better than him

Quick Reply