Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Got a Mac? Got a virus?

Read 2409 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,257 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Got a Mac? Got a virus?
      Apr 05, 2012 05:14:37 pm
      I've got a PC so I've probably got something lurking, but now it seems the Mac is falling ill too.

Half a million Mac computers 'infected with malware'

More than half a million Apple computers have been infected with the Flashback Trojan, according to a Russian anti-virus firm.

An investigation by Dr Web suggests that about 600,000 Macs have installed the malware - potentially allowing them to be hijacked and used as a "botnet".

It says that more than half that number are based in the US.

Apple has released a security update, but users who have not installed the patch remain exposed.

Flashback was first detected last September when anti-virus researchers flagged up software masquerading itself as a Flash Player update. Once downloaded it deactivated some of the computer's security software.

Later versions of the malware exploited weaknesses in the Java programming language to allow the code to be installed from bogus sites without the user's permission.

Remote control
      Dr Web said that once the Trojan was installed it sent a message to the intruder's control server with a unique ID to identify the infected machine.

"By introducing the code criminals are potentially able to control the machine," the firm's chief executive Boris Sharov told the BBC.

"We stress the word potential as we have never seen any malicious activity since we hijacked the botnet to take it out of criminals' hands. However, we know people create viruses to get money.

"The largest amounts of bots - based on the IP addresses we identified - are in the US, Canada, UK and Australia, so it appears to have targeted English-speaking people."

Dr Web also notes that 274 of the infected computers it detected appeared to be located in Cupertino, California - home to Apple's headquarters.

Update wait
      Java's developer, Oracle, issued a fix to the vulnerability on 14 February, but this did not work on Macintoshes as Apple manages Java updates to its computers.

Apple released its own "security update" on Wednesday - more than eight weeks later. It can be triggered by clicking on the software update icon in the computer's system preferences panel.

The security firm F-Secure has also posted detailed instructions about how to confirm if a machine is infected and how to remove the Trojan.

Although Apple's system software limits the actions its computers can take without requesting their users' permission, some security analysts suggest this latest incident highlights the fact that the machines are not invulnerable.

"People used to say that Apple computers, unlike Windows PCs, can't ever be infected - but it's a myth," said Timur Tsoriev, an analyst at Kaspersky Lab.

Apple could not provide a statement at this time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422

Just FYI, good luck guys.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Got a Mac? Got a virus?
      Reply #1: Apr 05, 2012 11:02:14 pm
      I got a virus after having a Big Mac before, though :P
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #2: Apr 06, 2012 07:39:14 pm
      Oh, That Is AWESOME!!!!

Remember when all the Macholes would preach about never getting viruses and never having a need to run an a AV program?

Well, have fun trying to get all your personal financial Information back from Russian hackers.   

Hmmm. I think I'll check my AV program....OK. Good to go, thanks Avast!

Ha...I love Karma.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3: Apr 07, 2012 04:02:55 am
      Macs never get infected for the same reason that no one ever invades New Zealand. What's the F***ing point.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4: Apr 07, 2012 11:34:02 am
      Macs never get infected for the same reason that no one ever invades New Zealand. What's the f**king point.

Well I think the point is there is a point in infecting them now. :D

Makes me laugh at all the bozo's who said macs never get viruses. Silly buggers!
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #5: Apr 07, 2012 01:16:21 pm
      I'm a Mac and I'm a PC and since it's likely you don't know enough about computers anyway, we're functionally the exact same.

I should write the ads.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6: Apr 09, 2012 04:09:32 pm
      Macs never get infected for the same reason that no one ever invades New Zealand. What's the F***ing point.

Millions of reasons if you like lamb. :P
      guyfawks
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      • Keep trying, you'll get there in the end
      Reply #7: Apr 11, 2012 11:24:56 pm
      I just loaded osx 10 leopard onto my pc....

ha ha

who needs a snobby mac to get them lovely music apps
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6975 
      Reply #8: Apr 11, 2012 11:29:16 pm
      Seems some PC users having a go at us Mac users.

Not nice.

lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #9: Apr 11, 2012 11:39:51 pm
      PC's have one thing in common with Everton - they're always broke ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Apr 12, 2012 03:05:54 am
      My computer company provides me with free software updates that block viruses.

Over to you, $100+ spending PC users...

:)
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,616 posts | 1513 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #11: Apr 12, 2012 04:41:32 pm
      My computer company provides me with free software updates that block viruses.

Over to you, $100+ spending PC users...

:)
      I use free software from the internet and in all my years using computers have never had a virus, people who pay money to companies for PC protection are being robbed.. :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #12: Apr 13, 2012 04:04:37 pm
      I have used computers for well over 20 years, had loads of b***ard trojans/virus/worms/malware in that time. Never could resist the "click me" in files I downloaded (I download a lot!) Never had a problem with a virus when I have used paid for protection, had them all with free anti-virus protection.

For idiots like me it's better to be safe than sorry, most can manage equally well with Avg/avast etc.

Just changed from Kaspersky back to Norton internet security (just because it was cheaper when I needed to renew), cost me £10 for 3 computers for 1 year, some people think it is worth it..... others don't. Depends more on how you use your computer to me. Think people had more of a point a few years ago when some Security Suites slowed down your computer, these days they don't.

Visit dodgy sites, download dodgy stuff and maybe it is worth it, just visit the BBC website etc and it is probably not.   

Always fancied a Mac, but never had the courage to go down that route. Maybe one day.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Apr 18, 2012 09:28:14 am
      It's 10 pounds for protection?

It's $120+ here. F***ing hell.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #14: Apr 18, 2012 09:56:44 am
      It's 10 pounds for protection?

It's $120+ here. F***ing hell.

Was actually £8.99 for 3 computers for one year mate. Got it off Amazon, do they not have Amazon over there?

Delivery Method:  FREE Super Saver Delivery 
      Items:    £8.99 
      Postage & Packing:    £0.00 
         ------ 
      Order Total:    £8.99 

Delivery estimate: 27 Mar 2012 - 29 Mar 2012  1 "Norton Internet Security 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)"
      CD-ROM; £8.99
      In stock

Just buy the 2011 version and it updates to the full 2012 version (same with Kaspersky)

Quick Reply