Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Which system do you prefer?

PlayStation 3
      (57.4%)
      XBox 360
      (35.1%)
      Don't like either of 'em
      (7.4%)

PS3 v Xbox 360

Read 50053 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: PS3 v Xbox 360
      Reply #253: Oct 04, 2010 04:40:49 am
      All I can add, is after my PS2 was stolen and then buying a Wii, I'd gone off gaming.  The 360 has reignited my interest, Assassins Creed 2 in particular.  Be the GTA games next, then Red Dead Redemption & Batman: Arkham Asylum interspersed with some FIFA.  Not completely happy with the controller. but I'll get used to it.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Best Console
      Reply #254: Jun 30, 2011 03:18:14 pm
      I have a Wii which I'm gonna get rid of cos it's a bit sh*t.

I am looking to buy either a PS3 or XBox360.

I had an XBox and loved it - some really great games on there.

However, my bro and a few mates have been urging me to buy a PS3, which they insist is a better console, plus I can swap games with them.

I'm not bothered about the motion sensor stuff.

So, in a nutshell, I need some advice - Xbox or PS3.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Best Console
      Reply #255: Jun 30, 2011 03:30:15 pm
      In truth there are few differences between them. Slightly differing hardware but mostly they're capable of the same things. As for their multiplayer services, Xbox Live is subject to a subscription fee, where the PSN isn't. This year's PS3 exclusives look very good whereas Xbox only really has Gears of War to note.

This topic would be full of fanboys anywhere else on the internet so just careful who you take the advice of. Your mates might all be Playstation guys too. I am as well actually, never owned any Xbox, but I'm not so attatched to my PS3 I can't see that the Xbox is also a good console!

In truth it's down to you mate. Look at the prices for the consoles as well as how much memory they have. If my memory serves me right Xbox's are slightly cheaper but I also heard very recently that the PS3 was going to have a price cut, so look into that and see if the price has gone down already, if not it could be worth waiting for that to happen.

Final plus for the PS3 is it also functions as a quality Blu Ray DVD player, so if you don't have one of them already that's pretty useful.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #256: Jun 30, 2011 03:31:09 pm
      Until half an hour ago, it was PS3 hands down but then MGS decided to release the box set for both consoles :P  Seriously though, that was what I based my decision on.

Don't underestimate the sharing of games and playing with your friends.  They're both as much of a muchness, Xbox live is a better gaming experience than PSN, but it costs money.

I've had both and really there's F**k all difference, Xbox is probably slightly better but I prefer the PS3.  Having said that, I'd have absolutely no hesitation in F***ing my PS3 right off if the friends I'd be playing games with are all on Xbox.  Worth rememering some particular titles are only available on PS3/Xbox (eg. Gran Turismo/Halo).

Playing with your friends, having the ability to swap games and bring over your controllers to their houses etc. means that whatever console they have, it's superior to the other IMO.  If you're not interested in swapping games or playing with others, I'd go the Xbox and just deal with the annoying things like the controller battery swapping.  Visually, Xbox is better though but again not to the extent that you should base your call on that if it means you can't interact with friends.

edit: I live in a house where only 2 of us play the console - nothing beats inviting two other mates over and having 2 vs 2 fifa on the same console.  We couldn't do it if we had a PS3 and they had an Xbox.  Also, I've bought games like L.A. Noire when they first came out because I was dying to play it but my other mates weren't so keen.  Similarly, they bought GTA and played it immediately and I was happy to wait a little while to play it.  We only needed to buy 1 game each instead of 2 games each and we both got to play them, couldn't have happened if we had different consoles.  Go with what whoever you intend to be gaming with has, else get an Xbox for single player/online experience.
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2011 03:41:49 pm by vitez »
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #257: Jun 30, 2011 04:43:12 pm
      Yeah I pretty much agree with the consensus so far. They're essentially the same thing with the exception of the PS3's Blu-Ray player. The Xbox 360 Kinekt is better than the PS3 alternative but you say you're not bothered about that anyway. Yes Xbox Live is subscription based but in my experience, it's a higher quality service.
      If it was just you alone then I'd agree that it's probably best to get an Xbox but as your friends have PS3s, you're better off getting one of those so you can play against them online and, as you say, swap games. Most of my mates have an Xbox.The only other consideration then is what you're willing to pay.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #258: Jun 30, 2011 05:11:49 pm
      Money isn't really an issue as I have some coming in from a consultancy job, and I had to make 2 choices.

First choice was to build a gaming PC, then 2nd choice was which console after I decided to go that route.

All in all the PS3 looks the better option for my circumstances, plus the game swapping with mates and free online probably means the price will even out in the long run.

The only other thing I am going to consider is the controllers - I really like the chunky controllers on the original xbox, and the PS3 controllers seem a little fiddly in comparison, still I suppose it's something you just have to get used to.

The reason I like the chunky xbox ones is that playstation controllers tend to give me cramp in my hands after a while, a problem I never had with xbox ones.

Then again, it's probably just me ;D
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #259: Jun 30, 2011 05:15:33 pm
      Agree about the controllers, I have quite large hands and don't get on with the PS3 controllers at all.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #260: Jun 30, 2011 05:15:42 pm
      I've own both and I have to say apart from the security breach on PS Network never had any real problems with it, I play PS3 more than my X-Box, only time I play X-Box is when Halo has a new title out, Games like Gran Tourismo piss all over Gotham racing on x-box so its PS3 for me every time..

Then free internet access and blue ray dvd player built in just adds to why I'd choose ps3 over X-Box every time.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #261: Jun 30, 2011 05:25:24 pm
      I have been a PS gamer since the original PS1, so always loved it. Saying that, i'd have both if i could. I don't get the whole fanboy hate for the other console when in reality they are same sh*t, different smell really.

As its been said already, blu-ray player and free internet probably tip it to PS3. But just go with what feels right. I wouldn't decry either purchase, both will end up being lots of fun anyways.

If you have a nice HDTV set up and like movies i'd really push the PS3 though. Watching movies in blu-ray is brilliant.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #262: Jun 30, 2011 05:39:25 pm
      PS3 is the best console but when you factor in online security issues obviously that narrows the gap.

The best console of all time is still the N64 for my money. Zelda Occarina Of Time is still the best game I've ever played and regardless of how much better the graphics have become or the processors in other consoles, nothing beats the ingenuity and playability of that game for my money.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #263: Jun 30, 2011 05:46:27 pm
      The best console of all time is still the N64 for my money. Zelda Occarina Of Time is still the best game I've ever played and regardless of how much better the graphics have become or the processors in other consoles, nothing beats the ingenuity and playability of that game for my money.
      Goldeneye 64 was the best FPS and best multiplayer game at the time as well. I clearly remember staying up all night playing that with a couple of mates. The proximity mines were great fun ;D.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #264: Jun 30, 2011 05:47:21 pm
      Goldeneye 64 was the best FPS and best multiplayer game at the time as well. I clearly remember staying up all night playing that with a couple of mates. The proximity mines were great fun ;D.

Yeah I used to put my health right down to give people a chance. :P

Mario Kart 64 as well, it was just a great console. That and Champ Manager ruled my life at that time.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #265: Jun 30, 2011 05:48:33 pm
      It's a matter of personal preference, IMO.

I like how the Ps3 and Dualshock 3 look. Their game boxes also look much nicer :P compared to the green ones of Xbox. Don't fancy the Xbox's controller either.

Xbox may get Halo but PS3 has Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet!

Always been a PS person also. Have owned a PS One, PS2 and now a PS3.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #266: Jun 30, 2011 05:51:45 pm
      PS3 took a while to get going but now there are some real quality releases on the console. We had Gran Turismo 5 which is just for every car/racer lover on this world and then we get something like the Uncharted games. Trust me Uncharted 2 is the best game I have ever played and I was never an action/adventure games fan before that. Uncharted 2 blew me away and this year Uncharted 3 will be released. So PS3 for me personally. Lot's of other great features being added to the PS3 as time goes on as well.

Best games console ever for me though was the Sega Mega Drive. It was unbelievable. Super Monaco Grand Prix and Micro Machines 2 are two very special games for me that never got old.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #267: Jun 30, 2011 05:55:25 pm
      PS3 took a while to get going but now there are some real quality releases on the console. We had Gran Turismo 5 which is just for every car/racer lover on this world and then we get something like the Uncharted games. Trust me Uncharted 2 is the best game I have ever played and I was never an action/adventure games fan before that. Uncharted 2 blew me away and this year Uncharted 3 will be released. So PS3 for me personally. Lot's of other great features being added to the PS3 as time goes on as well.

Best games console ever for me though was the Sega Mega Drive. It was unbelievable. Super Monaco Grand Prix and Micro Machines 2 are two very special games for me that never got old.

Spot on on Unchartered, that and L.A. Noire took the PS3 to a new level.

The only reason the PS3 doesn't sh*t all over the XBox is because games designers/developers are not making the most of the technology and power they have available. Thank god Naughty Dog and Team Bondi decided to buck that trend and show some of what the console CAN do.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,472 posts | 2861 
      Reply #268: Jun 30, 2011 05:56:12 pm
      As an entertainment system I think PS3 wins due to the blu-ray player.

But for just gameplay (like online service etc.) I think the Xbox is better.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #269: Jun 30, 2011 05:57:42 pm
      I have always been a PS3 head so i cant really comment on the XBOX i never had one. The downside on the PS3 is the controller, too small for my shovel hands. None of my mates have an XBOX so i'd never buy one for that reason alone.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #270: Jun 30, 2011 05:58:48 pm
      Their game boxes also look much nicer :P compared to the green ones of Xbox.

Worst reasoning ever, ;D

Xbox may get Halo but PS3 has Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet!

Don't forget Gears of War, awesome games.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #271: Jun 30, 2011 06:07:46 pm
      Spot on on Unchartered, that and L.A. Noire took the PS3 to a new level.

The only reason the PS3 doesn't sh*t all over the XBox is because games designers/developers are not making the most of the technology and power they have available. Thank god Naughty Dog and Team Bondi decided to buck that trend and show some of what the console CAN do.

LA Noire is a game I'm going to have to get this summer. Looks great.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #272: Jun 30, 2011 06:13:58 pm
      Already have a thread for this lads.

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=18946.0
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #273: Jun 30, 2011 06:18:50 pm

Merged.

Also merged the newly merged thread with a previous PS3 v Xbox 360 thread.

No point clowning around with two threads that are very similar.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #274: Jun 30, 2011 06:25:19 pm
      Sorry Res - had a look but couldn't find it.

Must be going blind in my old age ;)

I think I'm gonna go with PS3 - but I'll spend some time over the next week or 2 seeing if I can get to grips with the controller.
      It might just be a matter of holding it differently, and not being as grippy as you can be with the xbox chunky ones.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #275: Jul 03, 2011 08:55:19 am
      You can get a PS3 controller which mirrors the XBOX controller, even with the positioning of the analog sticks. Only similarity with the PS3 controller are the action buttons.

I would provide you a link, but I've got to go somewhere now. Google it...

EDIT: Here it is - http://gizmodo.com/5563483/power-a-makes-a-wireless-xbox-360-controller-for-the-ps3

Quick Reply