Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would you sell first (if you had to!)?

Steven Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Momo Sissoko
      11 (47.8%)
      Xabi Alonso
      12 (52.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: Apr 03, 2007 11:06:30 am

Vote: Which midfielder would you sell first?

Read 5765 times
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,375 posts |
      Vote: Which midfielder would you sell first?
      Apr 01, 2007 11:04:38 am
      A lot of talk about our 'abundance' of central midfielders, stories linking Alonso with a return to Spain, stories linking Momo with a move to Spain or Italy, and the constant Gerrard speculation.

Our central midfielders probably have a substantial worth on the transfer market and one could be sold to raise vital funds for a striker purchase

Just interested if we ARE selling a midfielder, which one you would sell first?  I have excluded Mascherano because he is relatively new, and excluded Zenden...the obvious choice (and not worth much either!)

Poll closes early Tuesday....
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2007 11:41:17 am by Jabba »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Vote: Which midfielder would you sell first?
      Reply #1: Apr 01, 2007 12:06:47 pm
      Excluded Mascherano because he is better than our other 2 midfielders Momo & Xabi simple as
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Apr 01, 2007 12:34:50 pm
      I don't think anyone has the guts to sell Stevie. I just did a random vote out of Momo and Xabi, I couldn't let go of any of them. We don't need to sell Xabi or Momo.
      Our midfield isn't the problem.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Apr 01, 2007 03:25:39 pm
      I don't think anyone has the guts to sell Stevie. I just did a random vote out of Momo and Xabi, I couldn't let go of any of them. We don't need to sell Xabi or Momo.
      Our midfield isn't the problem.

Totally agreed. There is no need to sell any of our CM's, apart from Zenden obviously. Rafa's always talking about having different options, and that is exactly what our selection of CM's gives us. I personally believe we are gonna see us playing with a 5 man midfield quite a bit more now with the arrival of Mascherano, either in a 4-2-3-1 like yesterday, or a 3-5-2 formation. If I'm right & we're gonna use 3 CM's in a lot of games, then surely having 4 isn't too many?
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #4: Apr 01, 2007 05:50:42 pm
      Got to be good for Liverpool to have cover for all positons not just midfield,hopefully plenty of fighting to get in the side and good work ethic.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #5: Apr 01, 2007 06:58:02 pm
      I was thinking while I was watching Yesterdays game that Mascherano was looking that good, what future has Momo got at Anfield and how many games will he play?
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #6: Apr 01, 2007 09:28:01 pm
      I was thinking while I was watching Yesterdays game that Mascherano was looking that good, what future has Momo got at Anfield and how many games will he play?
      I think it is what future has Xabi got at the club now? Masch can pass as well as him, can get better tackles in and im not to sure who has the better shooting boots! I dont think rafa will sell momo for his sheer work rate.
      Cy
      Reply #7: Apr 01, 2007 09:43:47 pm
      I wouldnt sell any of them and certainely not our Stevie, but as you wanted to know if we had to, I'll sell Xabi, Mascherano can't fufill his position and MOMO is too important in my mind in term of recuperation. Again I wouldn't sell any, that was just in the situation if I had to....
      ASF
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts |
      • Lets get a kitty
      Reply #8: Apr 01, 2007 09:50:07 pm
      I don't want to sell any of them but I voted Momo as the other two are top world class players who we would struggle to replace.
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #9: Apr 01, 2007 10:07:17 pm
      well after the Arsenal game, i think Mascherano played really well.I'm beggining to doubt if Sissoko will get a chance regularly.But i hope Benitez's policy of rotating players will give Sissoko and Mascherano all chances against the likes of Gerrard and Alonso
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #10: Apr 02, 2007 01:22:25 am
      Totally agreed. There is no need to sell any of our CM's, apart from Zenden obviously. Rafa's always talking about having different options, and that is exactly what our selection of CM's gives us. I personally believe we are gonna see us playing with a 5 man midfield quite a bit more now with the arrival of Mascherano, either in a 4-2-3-1 like yesterday, or a 3-5-2 formation. If I'm right & we're gonna use 3 CM's in a lot of games, then surely having 4 isn't too many?

I think a 5 man midfield sounds just right. Having 3 Central players including Xabi, Momo, and Stevie. We cannot keep Gerrard wide right. He has to be one of the best central midfielders in the world and he can't even get a central midifield starting slot for Liverpool. It really is scandalous.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #11: Apr 02, 2007 01:44:23 am
      I think a 5 man midfield sounds just right. Having 3 Central players including Xabi, Momo, and Stevie. We cannot keep Gerrard wide right. He has to be one of the best central midfielders in the world and he can't even get a central midifield starting slot for Liverpool. It really is scandalous.

So you'd drop Mascherano?!?!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #12: Apr 02, 2007 04:54:46 am
      wouldn't  sell any of them..with this cash we are about to get we are remaining a club that doesn't have to sell its best players...think about it this way...if any of them played for any other clubs we'd be posting how much we'd love to have them in the LFC strip....our central mid is great and the arse game gave our flank players a chance to finally shine...strikers and fullbacks and we are there
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,881 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Apr 02, 2007 07:49:56 am
      wouldn't sell any of them either....we're going to play 60+ games every season ;D...so we need all of them for sure...that way there are more possibilites, no? ;)
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #14: Apr 02, 2007 10:45:48 am
      I don't think it's a case of which CM to get rid of I think its more who wants to stay and will be happy to be part of Rafa's rotation policy, as if as expected he picks up a quality winger then there would be no need whatsoever to play Gerrard on the right meaning he would start in his preferred central position. Now rightly or wrongly I would say Gerrard is an automatic first choice for centre midfield that would leave three players for one position and I cant see any of them being happy about that, out of the three though I think Xabi is the one who may leave he hasn't had a good season by his own high standards and I think he may also have itchy feet for a move back to Spain, this he will always deny though as you always have to be seen to be saying the right things. What happens in our possible attempts to sign a forward may have a huge bearing on Xabi staying or going, I think the possibility of us signing Villa is not clear as Chelsea are now said to be interested and lets face it they would pay £100m for Dean Windass if they where told he was good, we on the other hand would not.
      Samuel Eto’o as a target looks more realistic to me and I see Xabi being included as a lever to broker the deal, a move I think he would jump at, I personally though would be sorry to see any of our CM’s go and I hope we sign Villa and Eto’o and no one has to leave just to help any deal go through.
      « Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007 10:46:34 am by Glenbuck »
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #15: Apr 02, 2007 10:59:19 am
      I don't think it's a case of which CM to get rid of I think its more who wants to stay and will be happy to be part of Rafa's rotation policy.

I think thats the problem we might have, all our central midfielders are top quality. We looked alot better with Mascherano in there, thats why I can see Momo missing out. I cant see how we can keep them all happy, they are all good enough to be starting week in week out for a top side. I've always thought Alonso was class, but I've alway wondered how long he would stay, before he wanted to move back to Spain, I just thought he was very young when he came over and he knows he would be able to choose what club he wanted to join if he went home. I do hope I'm wrong but I can see Alonso going back to Spain sooner rather than later.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: Apr 02, 2007 11:00:40 am
      Let's assume we play 60 games next season, and also let's assume we play half of them with a 4 man midfield, and half with 5 (a realistic assumption IMO). That means there's 150 spaces in central midfield over the course of the season, surely that's enough to keep all 4 happy?

A new winger won't mean Gerrard will never play on the right either. Rightly or wrongly, Rafa feels that is the best option sometimes, usually when we need someone with better defensive skills out there. Whoever we bring in, I'm sure they will be brought here for their ability to take on a man, get a cross in, and score a few too. This will still leave Gerrard as his preferred option when he wants more protection for the full back.

All in all I feel there will be enough opportunities for all 4 through the season, and we will need all of them to push for the title.
      « Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007 11:01:20 am by EddieC »
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #17: Apr 02, 2007 11:06:51 am
      I think we've got to get away completely from playing midfielders out of position. Gerrard playing on the right is a waste for me. And 99% of the time I think 4-4-2 is the formation that suits best. I've said before that I think we need to sign a left back, 2 wingers and a goal scorer to take us forward and challenge for the League. In doing this I only see 2 places for our 4 central midfielders to fit into.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #18: Apr 02, 2007 11:24:17 am
      Well next season if pennant can carry his form into it, surely Rafa will have to move Stevie back to CM.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #19: Apr 02, 2007 11:30:23 am
      I think we've got to get away completely from playing midfielders out of position. Gerrard playing on the right is a waste for me. And 99% of the time I think 4-4-2 is the formation that suits best. I've said before that I think we need to sign a left back, 2 wingers and a goal scorer to take us forward and challenge for the League. In doing this I only see 2 places for our 4 central midfielders to fit into.

To be honest, I would agree with you. But on this subject, wht I think should happen & what I think will happen are different. Rafa has always preferred a 4-2-3-1 formation throughout his career, unfortunately it didn't really work when he first came here. IMO Mascherano wasn't brought here to replace any of our current CM's, but to give us a better option when playing a 5 man midfield.

It's impossible to say what our best team, formation or tactics are, because it depends entirely on the opposition. For example, I'm not a big fan of Gerrard on the right, it's not his best position, but I do accept that against certain opposition it will be better for the team if he plays there. Similarly I'm more of a fan of 4-4-2, but I do agree there's times we need to change that formation, especially to the 3-4-3 we've used well against smaller teams this season. Rafa makes a lot of changes from week to week, some of them I agree with, some of them I don't. But I do agree with his philosophy that you change your team & tactics depending on the opposition. Otherwise you end up with a manager like Sven, who says 'This is my team and I'm not changing it unless we get injuries' and we all know how far that got him.
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #20: Apr 02, 2007 11:33:55 am
      and we all know how far that got him.
      Faria Allens office! ;D
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #21: Apr 02, 2007 11:41:15 am
      When Gerrard is played on the right side he is hardly a typical winger he has a free roll to move around he does not patrol up and down the touchline and has a tendency to move central and when he does come inside he leaves the full back exposed, I think he is played there because he is one of the best crosses of the ball at the club but I also think Pennant can be and if we did buy another winger who could cross surely Gerrard would never need to play there again he is much more effective in the midfield battleground than being used as a makeshift winger
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #22: Apr 02, 2007 12:18:36 pm
      I do think that formations this year have been dictated by the poor form of some of our players. If both Pennent and Gonzarlaz had shown the form of the previous seasons, the form on which they were bought I think there would of been alot more games when it was a simple 4-4-2 formation. I did think that was they way we were going when we bought the two wingers. But I do think they will get another season to prove them selves but I also expect Rafa to bring another 2 wingers in to put pressure on the Lads to perform. Only time will tell! ;)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #23: Apr 03, 2007 12:03:05 pm

I haven't seen him play much. But come on lets look at the logic here. Who is better, Stevie or Mascherano?
      I'll let you do the math.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #24: Apr 03, 2007 12:15:23 pm
      I haven't seen him play much. But come on lets look at the logic here. Who is better, Stevie or Mascherano?
      I'll let you do the math.

How can you compare an attacking midfielder to a defensive midfielder? it's a no brainer!
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #25: Apr 04, 2007 09:37:30 am
      i wouldnt like to sell any of them but if i had 2 choose i would get rid of Momo
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #26: Apr 04, 2007 10:14:04 am
      We have to wait for Momo. I think He got a lot of trouble and probably Rafa land him in Juventus FC. This notice I read on "Gazzetta dello Sport" yesterday. Then we have to see what Rafa want to do with his interest in E'to and you know that Barcelona strongly want Xabi. Too many questions !!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #27: Apr 07, 2007 10:46:10 am
      I hate these kind of questions because I am a loyal RED. 95+% of anyone who has pulled on the famous RED SHIRT can jusify their choice in the line up for one reason or another but the quesion is "Which midfielder would you sell first?"
      If Momo can pass a ball or shoot like Alonso can and Alonso can work as hard as Sissoko does then the answer is simple...

Zenden.

If anyone votes for  :angel: Stevie :angel:  :o :o I want them banned from the forum and extradited to Pluto  :action-smiley-065:  :D
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2007 10:51:35 am by RED1028 »
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #28: Apr 07, 2007 11:46:53 am
      we should keep all three!!!!!!!!!!!
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #29: Apr 08, 2007 04:47:57 pm
      xabi

keep them all though
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #30: Apr 08, 2007 10:42:55 pm
      momo or kewell
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,881 posts | 6815 
      Reply #31: Apr 10, 2007 12:28:40 pm

If Momo can pass a ball or shoot like Alonso can and Alonso can work as hard as Sissoko does then the answer is simple...

Zenden.

:laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014: :laughing-smiley-014:    now that's funny

kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #32: Apr 10, 2007 12:34:20 pm
      ZENDEN you are the weakest link goodbye!!
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #33: Apr 10, 2007 06:56:14 pm
      Sell Kewell keep the rest
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34: Apr 15, 2007 09:12:24 pm
      Is Kewell still a Liverpool player? Wasn't he from another era? Or maybe it was a myth that we once had a great Aussie winger....oh wait we did...Craig Johnston....can't even remember this Kewell fella in a Liverpool shirt....
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,881 posts | 6815 
      Reply #35: Apr 15, 2007 09:44:26 pm
      Is Kewell still a Liverpool player? Wasn't he from another era? Or maybe it was a myth that we once had a great Aussie winger....oh wait we did...Craig Johnston....can't even remember this Kewell fella in a Liverpool shirt....

Lester76, you will remember him when he scores the winner against the Chavs to put us into the final against AC Milan ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #36: Apr 15, 2007 11:08:20 pm
      Maybe thats if he hasn't walked off the pitch injured again  :laugh:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,881 posts | 6815 
      Reply #37: Apr 15, 2007 11:14:17 pm
      we hope not :(

Quick Reply