Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Let's bash Lucas thread

Read 8498 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Let's bash Lucas thread
      Reply #69: Aug 27, 2009 02:16:44 pm
      Back on topic. Let's look at the situation here shall we? The situation of Lucas Leiva. Now i don't really give a F**k that he won the  Bola de Ouro, that means nothing to me. That was in the past, the same past that people keep bringing up whenever i mention that person ( you know, the one that begins with an A and ends with an O). What is of importance is what Lucas can bring to the team now. He is under massive pressure at the moment, the pressure of replacing A#*+@o.

Now whether people like it or not these are the facts, Gerrard and Torres are having to drop deeper and deeper to get into the game and are not linking as high up the pitch as they were last season. The chances of Torres/Gerrard doing major damage from 20-25 yards out are significantly greater than 30-35 yards out. The reason they are having to drop deeper looking for the ball is that they are not getting the passes threaded through to them like they were last season. Fact. Now i am not bashing Lucas here, but he is a man now, not a boy. Players either thrive under pressure or they wilt, unfortunately this can't be instilled into a player, you've either got it (Gerrard) or you haven't (Babel).

Defensively this season he has been very good and his attitude cannot be faulted, but he has to up his offensive game. Either that or drop Gerrard back into the middle, after all he is the best central midfielder in the world. At least until Aquilani is fit. I just feel Lucas has been thrown in at the deep end, and he's struggling to tread water.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #70: Aug 27, 2009 02:26:37 pm
      Back on topic. Let's look at the situation here shall we? The situation of Lucas Leiva. Now I don't really give a f**k that he won the  Bola de Ouro, that means nothing to me. That was in the past, the same past that people keep bringing up whenever I mention that person ( you know, the one that begins with an A and ends with an O). What is of importance is what Lucas can bring to the team now. He is under massive pressure at the moment, the pressure of replacing A#*+@o.

Now whether people like it or not these are the facts, Gerrard and Torres are having to drop deeper and deeper to get into the game and are not linking as high up the pitch as they were last season. The chances of Torres/Gerrard doing major damage from 20-25 yards out are significantly greater than 30-35 yards out. The reason they are having to drop deeper looking for the ball is that they are not getting the passes threaded through to them like they were last season. Fact. Now I am not bashing Lucas here, but he is a man now, not a boy. Players either thrive under pressure or they wilt, unfortunately this can't be instilled into a player, you've either got it (Gerrard) or you haven't (Babel).

Defensively this season he has been very good and his attitude cannot be faulted, but he has to up his offensive game. Either that or drop Gerrard back into the middle, after all he is the best central midfielder in the world. At least until Aquilani is fit. I just feel Lucas has been thrown in at the deep end, and he's struggling to tread water.

Top post mate and criticism of Lucas as you say does not need to be considered bashing him, like yourself I have criticised Lucas but also praised other parts of his game.  Again I am in agreement about the supply line from midfield and our forwards coming deep to receive the ball. Obviously other fans are going to have conflicting opinions on what Lucas brings to the team. My opinion is we have a replaced a world class player with an Inferior one at this time and I'm %100 behind your shout to drop Gerrard centrally until Aquilani is fit as right now we need to start getting things right on the pitch, it's a long season yes and all teams will drop points, but as in any other season it will be the team that drops the least that will will ultimately lift the trophy.
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #71: Aug 27, 2009 02:35:53 pm
      People like Reslivo, JD and Eem have provided stats for my stance of the argument, if I was to repeat them then I would be a hypocrite wouldn't I?

Oh you can prove anything with stat 75% of people know that ;D
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #72: Aug 27, 2009 03:11:46 pm
      Lets face it.  Lucas didn't have a great game on Monday, but to think he is going to step into Alonso's roll is crazy.  he is very young and they are big shoes to fill.  Alonso was also at the top of his game last year.  plus other more senior and far more experienced team members had a bad game on Monday.  Lucas had been playing well, so to demonise him for one bad game after a good end to last season, a good pre-season and a reasonable start to the first two games is really harsh.   The team as a whole did not click.  we don't looked balanced yet and a few changes, such as Aquilani, Agger and i also think Riera back on the left will give us more balance and creativity.  remember we did not lose for over 18 months at home and Lucas played in many of those games.
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #73: Aug 27, 2009 03:23:33 pm
      I'm not a big fan of Lucas, but I think the past few games Liverpool has failed collectively as a team. I wish it was as easy as just pointing the finger at one, or even two players.
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #74: Aug 27, 2009 05:16:36 pm
      Yes but people like to use Lucas as a scapegoat and view him as an easy target because he is unproven. His mistake was no where near like Gerrard's yet I have seen no one slating Gerrard.

yes stevie had a bad game

the thing is it was a one off for stevie....for as long as ive been watching him lucas has been consistently bad
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #75: Aug 27, 2009 06:10:29 pm
      Back on topic. Let's look at the situation here shall we? The situation of Lucas Leiva. Now i don't really give a F**k that he won the  Bola de Ouro, that means nothing to me. That was in the past, the same past that people keep bringing up whenever i mention that person ( you know, the one that begins with an A and ends with an O). What is of importance is what Lucas can bring to the team now. He is under massive pressure at the moment, the pressure of replacing A#*+@o.

Now whether people like it or not these are the facts, Gerrard and Torres are having to drop deeper and deeper to get into the game and are not linking as high up the pitch as they were last season. The chances of Torres/Gerrard doing major damage from 20-25 yards out are significantly greater than 30-35 yards out. The reason they are having to drop deeper looking for the ball is that they are not getting the passes threaded through to them like they were last season. Fact. Now i am not bashing Lucas here, but he is a man now, not a boy. Players either thrive under pressure or they wilt, unfortunately this can't be instilled into a player, you've either got it (Gerrard) or you haven't (Babel).

Torres hasn't dropped back at all though, he's sitting about 1m in front of the defensive line which means he receives the ball with his back to the goal and that is why defenders have been able to close him down so easily.
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #76: Aug 27, 2009 06:17:56 pm
      The reason we are seeing less of Torres is the ball is to slow coming forward from midfield when it does the opposition has regrouped thus he has less space to run into. Lucas needs to pass the ball forward quicker if we are to see the best of Torres and Gerrard.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #77: Aug 27, 2009 06:22:06 pm
      IMO, i think its partly Kuyt and whoever plays on the left. They just don't seem to be bursting forward as much. I made note of it in 2 match threads that they're sitting on the halfway line even as the ball is moving towards the box. Just glad we signed Johnson and Emiliano likes to get forward.
      corballyred
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #78: Aug 27, 2009 06:24:23 pm
      Ya good to see our full backs getting forward because our midfield seems to be the most unadventerous in the premiership so far.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #79: Aug 27, 2009 06:26:24 pm
      Seeing as we've stopped talking about Lucas - Topic Locked.

Posts in the 'other thread' deemed to be bashing will be moved in to here.

Quick Reply