Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Rafa pledges future

Read 1318 times
      babel99
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 141 posts | -24 
      Rafa pledges future
      Jun 10, 2008 08:11:13 pm
      Rafa Benitez insists he will not be saying his goodbyes at Anfield this summer and has pledged long-term commitment to Liverpool.

Rumour has been rife that manager Benitez would consider his options in the close-season after his position on Merseyside was undermined by Liverpool's American co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett in November.

Hicks admitted to holding talks with Jürgen Klinsmann with a view to the German replacing Benitez, who is believed to be a long-term target of Real Madrid, ahead of next season.

Liverpool also failed to reach a major cup final for the first time in Benitez's four-year tenure and the Reds finished a disappointing fourth in the Premier League to stoke speculation that the former Valencia boss is set to quit, but he is adamant he will not be walking away.

"I said at the end of the season I was very happy here and I will say it again," Benitez told the Liverpool Echo. "Now is not the time to be saying goodbye.

Torres target

"The supporters have been absolutely magnificent with me and the staff are working very hard."

And Benitez points to the likes of star striker Fernando Torres, who arrived from Atletico Madrid in a record-breaking deal last July, and youngsters Lucas Leiva and Sebastian Leto as reasons to stay.

"I would not have brought players like Fernando Torres and the young players we have here if I did not have a long term vision for the club," Benitez continued.

"Fernando's agent has asked about my Liverpool future and my answer is that I am 100 per cent committed."

Benitez has also spelt out the need to freshen his Liverpool squad and Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry is a top target, while a move for Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing is rumoured to be in the pipeline.

Crouch exit

However, with the club announcing debts of £33million for the financial year ending 31st July 2007, Benitez confesses the likes of Peter Crouch, Jermaine Pennant and John Arne Riise will have to leave in order to raise funds.

"If we had a lot of money to spend it would obviously be better," Benitez added. "But if we don't it doesn't matter.

"It is not about buying the most expensive players, it is about buying the right ones.

"We have the spine of the team and we can sell some players to get the others we need."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3673573,00.html

Never really thought he would leave anyway. He has a goal to achieve and he isn't the type of person to quit. He'll make sure he gets us the title before he goes.
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Re: Rafa pledges future
      Reply #1: Jun 10, 2008 09:09:57 pm
      Whilst it is reassuring that he wants to stay you can't help but think that the leeches have tied both hands behind his back in the transfer market.

Rafa will never achieve Premier League success without proper finacial backing.I just can't see us making any progress without a significant cash injection.

Until that time the Premier Leage title will remain a pipe dream.

I don't mean to sound negative but we have to face the reality that Utd and Chelsea will continue to spend and spend big.

Cheers Rafa , in you we will always trust.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #2: Jun 10, 2008 10:30:30 pm
      Whilst it is reassuring that he wants to stay you can't help but think that the leeches have tied both hands behind his back in the transfer market.

Rafa will never achieve Premier League success without proper finacial backing.I just can't see us making any progress without a significant cash injection.

Until that time the Premier Leage title will remain a pipe dream.

I don't mean to sound negative but we have to face the reality that Utd and Chelsea will continue to spend and spend big.

Cheers Rafa , in you we will always trust.

Great post mate, reflects what a lot of us feel.

What a natural fit to our squad Villa he would be, how nice it would to keep Xabi... unfortunately neither will be in our squad (probably) come the start of the season - sign of the sad times.

solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #3: Jun 10, 2008 10:42:49 pm
      http://www.footballfancast.com/blog/liverpool/is-it-not-time-liverpool-and-rafa-were-given-a-break/4020

Football FanCast guest columnist Ross Kay cannot understand the constant media intrusion on Liverpool football club and feels that it is time that Rafa Benitez was given a break.

If there is one thing that you can guarantee about the British media is that they like a pop at Liverpool. Every given day there is something new, whether it player unrest or regurgitated stuff about problems between Hicks or Gillett, they simply can't get enough, as they endeavour to fill their column inches.

The latest stories that seem to be doing the rounds, is the constant speculation about our transfer policy and the apparent constraints that Rafa finds himself under.

Where do they get these assumptions from? Liverpool are in some debt so they put two and two together. I seem to think that Manchester United are a lot worse than we are and they don't seem to struggle pulling out large wads each summer, so why should we be any different? Maybe the hacks should concentrate on providing some decent football coverage, rather than constantly spending their efforts and time trying to rock the foundations of our great football club.

I don't know what other Liverpool fans are feeling about the club at the moment, but I am extremely positive about the way things are progressing and glad to see that we are looking to rid the club of a great deal amount of deadwood. The media presume this to be something of a cost cutting exercise, but I believe that our squad has been too big for a long time and glad to see Rafa is knocking it down to a manageable size. Jose Mourinho believed that you should only have a squad of around 25 and as much as I detest the man, he is dead right as it makes the club more competitive within.

So what is the media's obsession with our football club and why are they constantly looking to pick holes in us. Have they a got vendetta with Rafa Benitez and are looking to chip away at the man in any shape or form - or are they simply looking to drive a three way wedge between him, the board and us supporters. I for one am finding it extremely tiresome and it has done little but put a huge amount of unwanted pressure on Rafa' shoulders. Every single game next season will be scrutinised and god forbid we have a bad start; the press will be baying for his blood. It is not right and I refute those who feel it is part of the game, it is simply unfair and I for one believe it's time we were given a break and they moved on.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _____

True that! The media needs to leave us alone.

Quick Reply