Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Football and footballers

Read 2373 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Football and footballers
      Aug 11, 2012 03:54:29 pm
      Need to have a look at themselves.

Over the past 2 weeks Ive been glued to nearly every sport at the olympics. The comittment and effort made by the huge majority of the olympians must be admired, especially of those who are not professional sports people.

Today I turned on the Brazil v Mexico game. After about 10 minutes I had to switch it off, turned on the hockey.

The amount of times players waved a pretend card to the ref, and the Brazil manager also done it, was ridiculous. Too add to my anger at this was the fact that not 1 tackle resembled anything near a yellow card offence. Add in the bit of diving and faining injury and its becoming a joke of a game that is becoming very difficult for me to sit through (Liverpool aside).

FIFA, UEFA, FA, players, managers, junior coaches need to sit back and take stock. Sort your game out and do it fast. Get it back to what it used to be. A mans game where you took a tackle and got on with it, and if the chance arose you'd get a tackle back twice as hard on your opponent. Stop acting like faries for fook sake
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8607 
      Re: Football and footballers
      Reply #1: Aug 11, 2012 04:02:34 pm
      Need to have a look at themselves.

Kenwyne Jones comments on Twitter the other week come to mind here!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #2: Aug 11, 2012 04:03:51 pm
      Kenwyne Jones comments on Twitter the other week come to mind here!

Im not on twitter mate what was he saying?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8607 
      Reply #3: Aug 11, 2012 04:06:24 pm
      Im not on twitter mate what was he saying?

In an exchange with a Stoke fan, who was calling him lazy, basically said whether you buy your season ticket or not, I still get paid.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      Reply #4: Aug 11, 2012 04:11:23 pm
      In an exchange with a Stoke fan, who was calling him lazy, basically said whether you buy your season ticket or not, I still get paid.

Prat. If I was his manager Id make him pay for that fans season ticket and remind him what he started from. gobs***e
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #5: Aug 11, 2012 04:23:37 pm
      Saw this link on twitter earlier.  Not sure on copyright infringement rules as it's an extract from a book so I've just posted the link.  It's quite long but it's a good read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/10/secret-footballer-undercover-premier-league?CMP=twt_gu

Gives a bit of an insight into top footballers lives.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #6: Aug 12, 2012 05:26:18 am
      Saw this link on twitter earlier.  Not sure on copyright infringement rules as it's an extract from a book so I've just posted the link.  It's quite long but it's a good read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/10/secret-footballer-undercover-premier-league?CMP=twt_gu

Gives a bit of an insight into top footballers lives.

An interesting read for sure. I do agree with the theme of the article but on the other hand they don't particularly act any different from the young rich and famous from other generations (authors in 1920 Paris, psychoanalysists during the boom around that time, even going on with gladiators and sophists in antiquity...etc) You give young people wealth and status and this is how they usually behave, doesn't matter if they are intellectuals or not. Not saying it's right but its not irregular behaviour. Not all but I wager over 90% of people would act the same if they were millionaire idols in their early 20's.

Football is, lamentably, big business now. The old adage that it's the taking part that counts is blatantly not true, us as fans don't even agree with that and this is taken to extremes. Other sports just don't have that level of investment and business in them and are more akin to football in its amateur days. It's something you have to reluctantly accept I guess. I've become a bit sick of all the bull that surrounds the game of football (the petty politicking etc...The Suarez affair was so tiring though I backed the guy to the hills and still feel an injustice about the whole thing), I can't help occasionally indulging myself in commenting on off the field matters but I am endeavouring  to try and keep my involvement to just watching our beloved club on the field and enjoying watching them play, the whole thing seems less frustrating that way. Not wanting to sound sycophantic but the main reason I come on this forum still is because I enjoy reading and conversing with some of the people on here, not to hear all the latest off-field sh*te surrounding the game and our club.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #7: Aug 13, 2012 02:41:44 pm
      The amount of times players waved a pretend card to the ref, and the Brazil manager also done it, was ridiculous

I know, it was pathetic. Mano Menezes (the manager) was the worst. Romário (a legend, best finisher I've ever watched) was commenting the game in one of the Brazilian tv channels showing the Olympics and he made very harsh critics to the team and the manager. At one point he said "it is not the referee who scored twice against us, it's not the referee who is missing a lot of goals for us, Mano Menezes should stop complaining and actually see what he is doing wrong" (or something like that).
      Bier
      Reply #8: Aug 14, 2012 05:42:21 pm

Quick Reply