Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

New Liverpool sponsor - 20M a year Standard Chartered deal (2009)

Read 48301 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: New Liverpool sponsor - 20M a year Standard Chartered deal
      Reply #184: Sep 17, 2009 12:36:06 pm
      Pointless fact, but this will be the first sponsor we've had in donkey's years that didn't start with the letter 'C'.

After Crown Paints, Candy and Carlsberg, I was wondering what would come next! :D

Still reckon 'Poundstretcher' would have been the best in terms of irony though.

Surprised no one has highlighted the magnitude of this fact. I think it's very pointfull (?).
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #185: Sep 17, 2009 12:39:15 pm
      Maybe they'll agree to pointfully change their name to Chartered Standard?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #186: Sep 18, 2009 10:05:48 pm
      No doubt were used to the Carlsberg Logo and a lot of those Kits and Jerseys looked real nice. But, the Standard Chartered name and Logo isnt that bad. It's PLAIN.  Its real plain and nothing jumps out, but its not ugly and its not going to make the players look like clowns.

I think the boys at Standard know what they are doing and I dont think they plan on spending this amount of money and not try to add some color or a little redesign for the new shirts.  I'm certain when the new Kits are announced they are going to look good. I hope.
      djandyl
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Reply #187: Sep 18, 2009 10:43:38 pm
      We sure do!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #188: Oct 01, 2009 11:52:35 pm
      How Liverpool won bank sponsor deal
      By Bill Wilson Business reporter, BBC News

The commercial marriage between Liverpool FC and its shirt sponsor, Danish brewer Carlsberg, has been one of the most enduring in sport, having been first signed in 1992.

So it came as something of a surprise when the Anfield club announced that from next season, 2010/11, global bank Standard Chartered would be taking over the role.

The record sponsorship deal for the club will see the bank pay £20m a season to appear on the front of shirts worn by star players such as Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

The deal came as a leaked club investment prospectus showed that earlier this year, Liverpool had forecast earnings of £14.2m a season if it had retained Carlsberg as sponsor.

So the new deal with Standard Chartered, which comes into force on 1 July 2010, represents a healthy increase in commercial revenues for the Premier League club.

The driving force behind it was commercial director Ian Ayre, who joined the club two years ago to beef up its sponsorship and merchandising revenues.

"Renewal of a deal is always important - but it is much easier to renew a partnership than to change one," said Mr Ayre, referring to the sponsor switch.

"We were very optimistic in Liverpool, even though the credit crunch had affected the number of potential partners out there," he told the BBC at a Sports Marketing 360 event.

"Last year we made the conscious decision to prepare for a longer period than usual when it came to selling our [sponsorship] property.

"We were also very selective when we went to the market - that is a changing approach, not just in our sport but in others.

"And when we started consultations with Standard Chartered, it was not about us, it was about them - what could we do to give them best value to drive customers to them over four years?"

Mr Ayre, who was previously chief executive of Total Sports Asia in Malaysia, has been tasked by the club with developing the LFC brand internationally, particularly in Asia.

So the deal is a particularly good fit for both parties, with the bank having a high profile and thousands of employees in the region - which helps Liverpool's profile and potential commercial opportunities.

Meanwhile, Standard Chartered will hope to make inroads and sell its products to the millions of LFC fans in Asia and around the world.

"We drew them in and got them excited about what we had to offer," said Liverpool born-and-bred Mr Ayre.

"Before we did the deal, we had sessions with them and they started making various suggestions, saying, 'We can do this' - they were very engaged."

Mr Ayre also said that before going to the market with its sponsorship opportunity, Liverpool had spent a lot of time and money and research.

"The days of a generic shirt sponsorship promotion are gone," said Mr Ayre, a former chief executive and chairman of Huddersfield Town FC.

"Brands want to see how you can help them access what is relevant to them in different parts of the world."

He said that football clubs such as Liverpool also now worked more closely with commercial partners in achieving mutual benefits.

"For our summer tour tour in Asia - a big market for some of our partners - we spent a lot of time planning and discussing what our partners wanted to achieve on top of branding and media exposure," he said.

"In Singapore and Thailand, we sold 150,000 tickets and every ticket was bought in an store owned by [Liverpool's kit maker] Adidas or a bar where Carlsberg was represented. It achieved real footfall for our partners.

"It also gave us a chance to gather information about who the consumer is, the chance to capture their data, and go for further engagement with them."

And new sponsors Standard Chartered have an equally clear vision about what the deal means for them.

"We see many opportunities to continue growing our business, particularly as Asia, Africa and the Middle East are emerging from the global downturn more quickly than the West," said group chief executive Peter Sands.

"This sponsorship will drive a step change in brand recognition in our key markets and will provide an additional catalyst for our business growth."

The bank believes the deal will help it drive business growth through access to new customer groups, new marketing channels and through Liverpool-branded products and services.

In addition, there is the "special experiences" aspect of a partnership with a world-famous club such as Liverpool.

The bank will be able to offer unique experiences for both its clients and staff, such as access to Liverpool tours and players.

Other positives of the deal for Standard Chartered include conveying its confidence in itself, both internally for staff consumption and to the wider financial world.

"We are proud to be associated with football - a sport with a global following of one billion people - and a consistent world-class club like Liverpool," said Mr Sands.

It is understood Standard Chartered initially decided to sponsor a football team and only then - after speaking to a number of clubs - decided to go with Liverpool.

Among the reasons, apart from its strong history and trophy record, was the huge potential fan base it offered to the bank.

One estimate has put the LFC following at as high as 130 million fans across 16 major markets - including China (58m), India (6m), Thailand (5m), Malaysia (2m), Japan (2m) and South Africa (6m), all of countries of interest to the bank.

But Mr Ayre is not swayed by such figures, which, if correct, would also offer huge commercial opportunities for the football club.

"For me, it is about data capture," he says. "Some clubs talk about having so many millions of fans around the world.

"But I don't subscribe to that thinking. Until you have got the names of these fans, know who they are and what they want, then it is very difficult.

"It is not so difficult when it comes to Merseyside and the UK, but in the wider context, it is a global challenge."

Meanwhile, it appears that Carlsberg, so long synonymous with the Liverpool shirt, is not totally out of the picture, with discussions continuing about how the relationship will look after this season.

"Both parties see lots of opportunities to continue together," said Mr Ayre.

"I would be very disappointed if Liverpool and Carlsberg did not stay together in some form."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8282125.stm
      weshall_kop
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 300 posts | 13 
      Reply #189: Oct 05, 2009 04:30:23 am
      Sorry guys, but come next season our tops will look roughly like:

I think out of all the shits there i think this is the best one ever... at lest imo
      TheRedsFan
      • Forum David Johnson

• 219 posts |
      • Nunca Caminaras Solo...Te Amo Liverpool
      Reply #190: Oct 05, 2009 04:34:21 am
      No doubt were used to the Carlsberg Logo and a lot of those Kits and Jerseys looked real nice. But, the Standard Chartered name and Logo isnt that bad. It's PLAIN.  Its real plain and nothing jumps out, but its not ugly and its not going to make the players look like clowns.

I think the boys at Standard know what they are doing and I dont think they plan on spending this amount of money and not try to add some color or a little redesign for the new shirts.  I'm certain when the new Kits are announced they are going to look good. I hope.

I agree, we all got use to Carlsberg...it has been Liverpool's sponsor ever since am a fan but its for the best
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #191: May 19, 2010 06:13:30 pm
      I agree, we all got use to Carlsberg...it has been Liverpool's sponsor ever since am a fan but its for the best

I'm thinking a deal with Tampax may have been more apt considering the bad period we're going through ;D
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #192: May 19, 2010 06:22:09 pm
      May have to agree with you on that one, especially with all the BAD BLOOD between us and those pair of cu*ts !
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #193: Aug 06, 2012 09:09:32 pm
      Standard Chartered bank 'in $250bn scheme with Iran'
      Standard Chartered bank illegally "schemed" with Iran to launder as much as $250bn (£161bn) for nearly a decade, a US regulator says.

The New York State Department of Financial Services said that the bank hid 60,000 secret transactions for "Iranian financial institutions" that were subject to US economic sanctions.

It labelled UK-based Standard Chartered a "rogue institution".

The bank has been threatened with having its US banking licence revoked.

The allegations are far larger than those involving HSBC, which was recently accused by the US Senate of failing to prevent money laundering from countries around the world including Mexico and Iran. It has set aside $700m to deal with any fines and penalties arising from those allegations.

The bank is ordered to appear before the regulator soon to "explain these apparent violations of law" from 2001 to 2010.

The regulator also said that it would hold a formal hearing over the "assessment of monetary penalties".

Other schemes found
      The regulator also said it had uncovered evidence with respect to what are apparently similar schemes to conduct business with other countries under sanctions - Libya, Burma and Sudan.

"Investigation of these additional matters is ongoing," it added.

The regulator said that its nine-month probe, which involved looking through more than 30,000 pages of documents, including internal Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) emails, showed that the bank reaped "hundreds of millions of dollars in fees".

"SCB's actions left the US financial system vulnerable to terrorists, weapons dealers, drug kingpins and corrupt regimes, and deprived law enforcement investigators of crucial information used to track all manner of criminal activity," it said.

'Staggering cover-up'
      The bank was also accused of falsifying SWIFT wire payment directions by stripping the message of unwanted data that showed the clients were Iranian, replacing it with false entries.

Senior management were also said to have codified their illegal procedures in formal operating manuals, including one labelled "Quality Operating Procedure Iranian Bank Processing".

"It provided step-by-step wire stripping instructions for any payment messages containing information that would identify Iranian clients," the complaint said.

In numerous emails going back as far as 1995, the bank's lawyers advised on ways to go about circumventing US sanctions.

In March 2001, Standard Chartered's legal advisor counselled that "our payment instructions [for Iranian clients] should not identify the client or the purpose of the payment".

By 2006, there were concerns raised about the bank's conduct in its New York branch.

The chief executive for the Americas sent an email to London saying the programme needs to "evaluate if its returns and strategic benefits are... still commensurate with the potential to cause very serious or even catastrophic reputational damage to the group".

But those warnings were ignored by senior management in London in what the regulator called a "staggering cover-up".

'Obvious contempt'
      Iran has been subject to US economic sanctions since 1979, and the laws were toughened by Executive Orders signed by President Bill Clinton in 1995 over US dollar transactions with Iran.

The US-dollar transactions in question originated and terminated in European banks in the UK and the Middle East, and were cleared through its New York branch, the complaint said.

Among the violations of the law, the bank is accused of:

falsifying business records
      failing to maintain accurate books and records
      failing to report misconduct to the regulator in a timely manner
      evading Federal sanctions
      In the 27-page complaint, the New York State Department of Financial Services said that Standard Chartered showed "obvious contempt for US banking regulations" and pointed to an email reply from a bank executive director to a New York branch officer.

"Who are you [Americans] to tell us, the rest of the world, that we're not going to deal with Iranians," the complaint quotes the director as saying.

Standard Chartered said: "The group is conducting a review of its historical US sanctions compliance and is discussing that review with US enforcement agencies and regulators.

"The group cannot predict when this review and these discussions will be completed or what the outcome will be."

Who is Standard Chartered?

Standard Chartered is headquartered in London and its chief executive and chairman are based in the UK capital
      Its roots are in Asia; the Chartered Bank was founded by Royal Charter and opened in Bombay, Calcutta and Shanghai in 1858
      Standard Chartered Bank was formed in 1969 through the merger of Standard Bank of British South Africa and the Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China
      It currently makes two-thirds of its profit in Asia; only 10% of its operating profit last year came from the Americas and Europe
      It currently has 1,700 offices in 70 territories
      The bank made a pre-tax profit of $6.8bn in 2011
      The bank's New York office was first granted its foreign-branch bank licence in 1976

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19155577

Still got yours? I have!

Bit two faced with the Luis affair.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #194: Aug 06, 2012 09:12:04 pm
      That's what was being mentioned early on twitter by Jim Broadman.

I hope this doesn't effect us financially or image wise
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #195: Aug 06, 2012 09:14:35 pm
      That's what was being mentioned early on twitter by Jim Broadman.

I hope this doesn't effect us financially or image wise

Could be worse, we could be called racist rather than dealing with Iran.

Should we be associated with them, that is a question.

Not good for our image, now is it.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #196: Aug 06, 2012 09:17:05 pm
      How much do we actually get off Standard Chartered? I know it's 20mill if we make CL, but without that what is it worth?

With regards to the above news, it makes them very hypocritical over the Suarez affair and I'd hope we push for some kind of statement. Even if just for a bit of revenge!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #197: Aug 06, 2012 09:17:18 pm
      Could be worse, we could be called racist rather than dealing with Iran.

Should we be associated with them, that is a question.

Not good for our image, now is it.

Very good point ! I'm sure the fans wouldn't want anything to do with them

What about our American Owners ? I'm sure a blind eye will be turned for the dollar
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #198: Aug 06, 2012 09:18:16 pm
      How much do we actually get off Standard Chartered? I know it's 20mill if we make CL, but without that what is it worth?

With regards to the above news, it makes them very hypocritical over the Suarez affair and I'd hope we push for some kind of statement. Even if just for a bit of revenge!

I think it was an £80 mil contract over 4 years so £20mil a year - could be wrong
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #199: Aug 06, 2012 09:18:35 pm
      Very good point ! I'm sure the fans wouldn't want anything to do with them

What about our American Owners ? I'm sure a blind eye will be turned for the dollar

;D as if they were English that a blind eye would not be turned for a pound.
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #200: Aug 06, 2012 09:21:14 pm
      The American Legal and Political system...champions of honesty and integrity...allegedly
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #201: Aug 06, 2012 09:23:05 pm
      The American Legal and Political system...champions of honesty and integrity...allegedly

Don't blame us we learned it all from you guys  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #202: Aug 06, 2012 09:23:06 pm

;D as if they were English that a blind eye would not be turned for a pound.

Moores wouldnt have touched them nor Robinson before him.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #203: Aug 06, 2012 09:31:12 pm
      I would have thought any involvement in Iran of all places was not the smartest thing to do. I doubt that FSG are at all pleased to see this and will watch it very carefully.
      The mere word Iran sends some folk nuts.
      I doubt very much the Standard Chartered are any different than any other banks.Does anyone have any idea who banks in Switzerland they will take anyones money ....no questions asked.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #204: Aug 06, 2012 09:43:49 pm

Don't blame us we learned it all from you guys  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Yeah, but you've ran with it and took' it to another level. ;) :)
      luckofirish8
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 454 posts | 20 
      Reply #205: Aug 06, 2012 10:09:43 pm
      Yeah, but you've ran with it and took' it to another level. ;) :)

That is want we do best...ramp things up a bit.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #206: Aug 06, 2012 11:31:42 pm
      I better get me black "standards corrupted" shirt out the wardrobe again!

Didn't think i'd be needing that again! ;D

Quick Reply