Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Sol Campbell quits Notts County after 1 game.

Read 1973 times
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Sol Campbell quits Notts County after 1 game.
      Sep 23, 2009 09:58:45 am
      Bit strange this one if you ask me.

Campbell quits County
      Sky Sports News understands Sol Campbell has walked away from League Two club Notts County after just one game.

The centre-back made the surprise decision to sign a five-year contract at Meadow Lane in the summer after his contract expired at Portsmouth.

But reports on Wednesday morning suggested Campbell had walked away from County, who have the 35-year-old's ex-England boss Sven Goran Eriksson as director of football.

That speculation has now been confirmed, with the 73-time England cap saying his goodbyes to his short-term team-mates after training on Tuesday.

Campbell struggled on his debut for County as Ian McParland's side lost to Morecambe on Saturday and it is understood he asked to be released from his deal after that match.
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11750_5577521,00.html
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Sol Campbell quits Notts County after 1 game.
      Reply #1: Sep 23, 2009 10:00:28 am
      That is weird.

I'll be interested to hear more about this.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Sep 23, 2009 10:51:53 am
      Saw this on the news this morning, a bit weird to say the least, to sign a five year contract and then walk away after one game seems very odd.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,379 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Sep 23, 2009 01:31:14 pm
      What a knob

Smells like he thought he'd pick up a nice wage playing at a handy level only to decide A) its not as handy as he thought or B) Its too handy and I dont want to play in hese grounds every week

County should sue him for breach of contract
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #4: Sep 23, 2009 01:49:06 pm
      I just don't get it.  I just don't understand Sol Campbell.

I remember we were heavily linked with him in the Houllier years.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,520 posts | 8685 
      Reply #5: Sep 23, 2009 03:18:23 pm
      I just don't get it.  I just don't understand Sol Campbell.

I remember we were heavily linked with him in the Houllier years.

Apparently in a prepared statement that was read on SSN he claims he is looking to play at a higher level that might lead him to being recalled for England.

Deluded tit if you ask me!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #6: Sep 23, 2009 03:20:12 pm
      Apparently in a prepared statement that was read on SSN he claims he is looking to play at a higher level that might lead him to being recalled for England.

Deluded tit if you ask me!

:lmao:  This should be in the jokes thread.
      PhilV
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #7: Sep 23, 2009 03:51:24 pm
      haha what the hell. something fishy is going on, sign a five year contract, quit after ONE game AND by mutual consent with the club too, what the hell!??
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #8: Sep 23, 2009 03:53:36 pm
      Very strange indeed.

And he posed for a team photo hours before deciding to leave the club as well.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #9: Sep 23, 2009 05:08:13 pm
      Gets more and more confusing this one. The bold part is what makes me think something went on.

County disappointed with Sol
      Notts County executive chairman Peter Trembling has spoken of his disappointment at Sol Campbell's decision to leave the club.

The former England international has decided to leave Meadow Lane after playing only one game for the Magpies, having signed a five-year-deal with the League Two club.

But the 35-year-old centre-back was not happy in the fourth tier of English football and Trembling said the club no longer wanted him to stay.

"We're disappointed Sol has decided, from yesterday, he wants to end his contract," he told Sky Sports News.

"It's one of those things, he joined five weeks ago on a five-year contract as part of the long-term project, but ultimately he's come to the point, having been here five weeks, where he has decided it's not for him.

"Sometimes decisions are made, people make wrong decisions and Sol has decided this is not where he wants to be now.

"We're not going to kick up a fuss about it. If he wants to go, he needs to go and we genuinely wish him all the best."

Asked about the reasons Campbell gave for leaving, Trembling added: "Not an awful lot, just that this was not working out for him.

"I spoke to his representative this morning (Wednesday) and he has just decided it's not working out and he wants to move on. Perhaps things are not happening as quickly as he thought they might, but this is a five-year project, not a five-week project.

"We can't just become a Premier League club overnight. That is how it is. If he doesn't want to play here, we don't want him."

The Football League have also confirmed that Campbell will not be able to sign for another club until January following his departure from Meadow Lane
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11750_5578148,00.html/news]
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #10: Sep 23, 2009 05:27:52 pm
      His boyfriend must have dumped him.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #11: Sep 23, 2009 06:25:43 pm
      This one has publicity stunt written all over it. If any other player at any other club ended a 5-year contract after 5 weeks it would end up in court and million pound fines. But Notts county haven't said boo. Sol obviously signed a deal that was meant to help attract other "top" players Notts county and since that hasn't happened he's jumping ship. I wouldn't be suprised if Sven was involved in a similar deal. At least thats what it looks like.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #12: Sep 23, 2009 06:44:06 pm
      This one has publicity stunt written all over it. If any other player at any other club ended a 5-year contract after 5 weeks it would end up in court and million pound fines. But Notts county haven't said boo. Sol obviously signed a deal that was meant to help attract other "top" players Notts county and since that hasn't happened he's jumping ship. I wouldn't be suprised if Sven was involved in a similar deal. At least thats what it looks like.

You may be right but if as the statement says at the end, he can't sign for another club until January 2010 its not going to do his career or world cup prospects any good is it  ?
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #13: Sep 23, 2009 06:53:45 pm
      World cup Prospect's Frizby 5.???
      Still Newcastle will be on the look out for a ropey old centre half
      MsGerrard
      Reply #14: Sep 23, 2009 08:15:13 pm
      world cup prospects any good is it  ?

:laugh: You really think he'd even stand a chance of being picked  ::)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Sep 23, 2009 08:16:52 pm
      He does though.

PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #16: Sep 23, 2009 08:22:44 pm
      You cannot play an awful lot of football hanging from a lampost for months on end. Vilified by the masses and confused in ones own head.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Sep 23, 2009 09:52:07 pm
      Why quit after 1 game for god sake.

Reckon he will retire to be honest, especially seeing as he can't join a new team until January.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #18: Sep 23, 2009 09:56:33 pm
      Very strange.

Bit harsh on County as well. They were all made up with him signing. Shitting on them from a height there. :-\
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #19: Sep 23, 2009 10:00:18 pm
      Defo something wrong there but is it just a publicity thing.He might quit the game now,hope so he is finished anyway.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #20: Sep 24, 2009 11:37:54 pm
      interesting...and a shame for notts county...i imagine campbell realised he'd made a rash move once he got onto the pitch and realised how generally sh*te the whole ambience of league 2 is...i mean, come on, he must have just thought "what the hell have i done? i can't play in this dross" or similar.

of course, he should have thought of that before signing on but he probably had a vision of himself being man-of-the-match every game as county cruise to promotion but he now realises he's going to get kicked and elbowed to pieces every game and his extra class won't count for much.

shame all round but when all is said and done, we all make mistakes in life and we have the right to backtrack if we can. i don't wish him amything bad as long as notts county are not damaged because of his actions.

Quick Reply