Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

(UCL) Liverpool FC vs Debreceni VSC: Pre-Match Thread

Read 10410 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: (UCL) Liverpool FC vs Debreceni VSC: Pre-Match Thread
      Reply #23: Sep 14, 2009 05:26:26 pm
      I won't get back from work until 20:30 so I'm recording it. I'm going to try and avoid the result but I can't see it happening. My little manc brother will probably have it on or blurt it out.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #24: Sep 14, 2009 05:46:13 pm
      No question about it - this is a banana skin of a fixture.

Pretty much a no win situation for us. We're expected to batter them - so never mind drawing or losing, even if we sneak this 1-0 or 2-0 then people will be getting a dig in.

For me, the West Ham fixture at the weekend is far more important.  We should be able to win this game without needing the likes of Gerrard and Torres, as on paper this is the easiest game in our group.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #25: Sep 14, 2009 06:03:02 pm
      Think we should start with our strongest team and hopefully have the game won early so we can then make changes.The only changes he might make is to give Aurellio a start and Mascherano might come back into the team but I would start with the same eleven that started against Burnley.Lets get a good result and then our confidence will grow even more
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #26: Sep 14, 2009 06:05:13 pm
      You know what. I know it's not going to happen but I'd love to see Eccleston on the bench. I seriously think he'd cause them more problems coming off the bench than Babel would.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #27: Sep 14, 2009 06:09:03 pm
      You know what. I know it's not going to happen but I'd love to see Eccleston on the bench. I seriously think he'd cause them more problems coming off the bench than Babel would.
      you have got a point and this is the game were we might be able to afford to have as couple of youngsters on the bench.
      Hobesph
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #28: Sep 14, 2009 06:24:56 pm
      I'd quite like ro see Darby and Spearing get some game time in the second half of the game.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #29: Sep 14, 2009 07:18:35 pm
      I think its a no brainer, we have simply GOT to start with the strongest team and take it from there...... and has'nt Babel been given enough 'Chances'?........
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #30: Sep 14, 2009 07:24:26 pm
      No question about it - this is a banana skin of a fixture.

Pretty much a no win situation for us. We're expected to batter them - so never mind drawing or losing, even if we sneak this 1-0 or 2-0 then people will be getting a dig in.

Couldn't give a sh*t about people getting a dig in or not.

If I was told now that we'd scrape an ugly 1-0, I'd take it without a second thought.

Results are what count, not the performance, that's just a bonus.

For me, the West Ham fixture at the weekend is far more important.  We should be able to win this game without needing the likes of Gerrard and Torres, as on paper this is the easiest game in our group.

League is deffo priority for me, but I can't see Rafa resting either of Gerrard or Torres.

Hope we'll be in a position to sub them after an hour though.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #31: Sep 14, 2009 07:26:38 pm

I'd go along with that.

And if, and it's a big if, we're comfortably in front after 60 minutes I'd like to see Spearing get some more minutes under his belt. I was a bit disappointed to see him left on the bench against Burnley to be honest.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #32: Sep 14, 2009 10:51:31 pm
      This should be easy
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #33: Sep 14, 2009 11:16:43 pm
      Why rock a steady ship as the saying goes, put out the strongest team and go to make a show of them. If we are leading comfortably with 15-20 minutes lest then bring on the young blood to see what they have to offer.

I just feel that if Rafa took this as a guaranteed win then he could end up with egg o nhis face. Keep the strongest team out, they'll feel the confidence and the teamwork benefits going into the next game.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #34: Sep 15, 2009 12:46:22 am
      I don't mind us fans being over confident about this game but I certainly hope our players don't be so.

No doubt some homework will have been done on these, but it's important for us to go out there and have the hunger to get the game won as soon as possible.

European games are always a bit different to league games, so I expect a different tempo to begin with. But when we play football to the best of our ability, nobody can match us.

Hopefully it'll be a comfortable victory for us and we'll be able to give a few important players an early bath. But I'm certainly not taking anything for granted.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #35: Sep 15, 2009 12:58:50 am
      We have a massive game against the Hammers on the weekend in saying that I will take any sort of win over Debrecen even if it is a scrappy 1-0. The league is a priority and we need to keep the players ready and sharp for the crucial games. We should have enough fire power without the likes of Torres and Gerrard needing to do too much to get through this one.

I have a feeling Babel will start, better respond with a hat trick then.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #36: Sep 15, 2009 01:44:30 am

Anyway, 6 games being shown here and not one of them is this f**king match. Bullshit. Anyway, I'll be on here with you lovely people then enjoying a 9-0 roasting.

Was gutted when I read this mate, that it wouldn't be on.

Then delighted when I found out ESPN are showing it live on ESPN HD....good times.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #37: Sep 15, 2009 02:10:46 am
      Ahh bloody hell! I dont have ESPN HD!! Hey Aussie how much extra are they slugging you for the HD package? Might even make a call and get it connected before tommorows game.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #38: Sep 15, 2009 02:18:00 am
      Hey mate, got it free for the first 12 months when I went Legit.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #39: Sep 15, 2009 02:23:52 am
      Let's hope the lads don't get carried away with oppositions like this.

Many times I've seen us struggled to score and beat teams that I've never heard of (for example, Standard Liege) even though we are expected to win it easily.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #40: Sep 15, 2009 02:42:01 am
      Just had a look on the foxtel site F**k it i might upgrade after all its going to cost me an additional $10 a month for ESPNHD and FoxsportsHD. Not very impressed we allready have the platinum package and have had Foxtel for 13 years now first on our street "customer care" my ass.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #41: Sep 15, 2009 12:22:29 pm
      I broke my satellite Aussie, haven't got it since :( Surely some streams will be about...hopefully :-\
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #42: Sep 15, 2009 12:29:41 pm
      Yeah no such luck with the upgrade, it looks like I need to fork out an additional $200 immediately for an "IQ 2" box it wouldnt be installed till next week anyway.

Looks like Im going to have to stream it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #43: Sep 15, 2009 07:32:55 pm
      I'd also start with the same team/formation as Saturday, put them to the sword early on, then blood a young 'un or two and maybe even give thon goat Babel another chance.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #44: Sep 15, 2009 09:01:10 pm
      I'm hoping we're 3 or 4-0 up by half time, would be nice to get the result in the bag early and give the youngsters a run out in the second half. Would be invaluable experience for them. I've gone for 7-0 in the Prediction League  :o
      bgwdivemaster
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 357 posts |
      Reply #45: Sep 15, 2009 09:43:29 pm
      I'm hoping we're 3 or 4-0 up by half time, would be nice to get the result in the bag early and give the youngsters a run out in the second half. Would be invaluable experience for them. I've gone for 7-0 in the Prediction League  :o

Agreed.  Fingers crossed for that early lead to see the young blood give it a go.

Quick Reply