Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Home-grown rule introduced - How will it affect us?

Read 5179 times
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Re: Home-grown rule introduced - How will it affect us?
      Reply #23: Sep 15, 2009 02:32:11 pm
      liverpool as with all clubs will definately be affected the bbc said we had 90% ex pats. should have been spread over a few years say five. the big four might be a thing of the past. good for the long term of british football. now we have to decide who to offload and who to bring up. start to bring home grown players into the first team on a gradual basis. players like spearing, darby
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #24: Sep 15, 2009 02:34:46 pm
      for me this does not change much the present situation , clubs will continue to rigister player 16/17 olds just the same ,and those who are still with the club when they are 21 are all eligible to be in the squad , the main differenc is that clubs have to name in thier 25 at least 8 who (coming from any country ) but have been with any english or welsh club in the last 3 years , for example if a club signs a 17 year old player from say  'malta" and immediately loan him for 3 years to , say Darlington(last team in the  league 2 table) when he is 20 he will have   trained and reigistered for 3 years in england or wales , then this player is counted as a HOME GROWN , and can be introduecd in any english or welsh squad
      Am i right in saying this ?
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #25: Sep 15, 2009 03:45:52 pm
      This wont assist the home nation at all in my opinion.

A) All clubs will be going for foreign youngsters (no change there then)

B) It will heavily inflate the cost of homegrown talent (no change there either!!! :p)

C) You'll start having players who arent English by birth or by parent being classed as homegrown.

Point C could possibly lead to foreign players being eligible for England (ridiculous). For example, Juan Pedro "Johnny" Foreigner signs for Liverpool at 15 and is trained here until 18, in that time he represents his home nation of Whereyafrom at U-18 and U-21 level, then he turns 20, having been in Britain for 5 years (making him a British citizen, and is chosen to play for England.

You then have Juan Pedro Foreigner from Whereyafrom playing for England.

International football loses all credibility and goes to the dogs.

UEFA/FIFA need to put a ban on the movement of players under the age of 16 or better still 18.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #26: Sep 15, 2009 03:48:20 pm
      They say money is ruining football, but this isn't helping, because the precious few good English players will now cost 4 times as much as they are truly worth. Morons.

Who would ours be?
      Gerrard
      Carragher
      Johnson
      Insua
      Spearing
      Darby
      Pacheco
      Ayala (Next season him and Pacheco will count)

I think David Martin is an option as well. Also it will depend on January and next summer. Not unthinkable that Rafa will bring in some english players. The sales of Anderson, Hobbs and Hammil look a bit unsmart now though? No?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #27: Sep 15, 2009 04:04:53 pm
      I guess Chelsea are buggered then. No signings for 2 years, and this ::)
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #28: Sep 15, 2009 04:16:03 pm
      These are the same rules that apply for the champion's league now but that squad will have to last for the season,you may get a chance to change squad in january due to the transfer window.

These rules i think are operated in the spanish league now
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #29: Sep 15, 2009 04:32:43 pm
      I guess Chelsea are buggered then. No signings for 2 years, and this ::)

;D never thought about that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #30: Sep 15, 2009 09:51:23 pm
      Think we are one of the lucky teams and wont really be affected. Chelsea on the other hand, reckon they're screwed :laugh:
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #31: Sep 16, 2009 12:35:29 am
      A team can have 17 players that are above 21 and not home grown. the remaining 8 of the 25 must be home grown and under 21. It doesn't really change anything.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #32: Sep 16, 2009 03:27:20 am
      First off, I think this will just make the bigger clubs scour Europe for talent even more so because, 1) In order to have a team for the future, the best bet is to get as many youngsters in as possible so that at least a couple make it to the first team, 2) Even if they don't make it to the first team they can be sold on to other English clubs at extremely inflated values.

Also, I'm worried because Nemeth, one of our brightest prospects is now on loan and from my understanding and from what Scudamore has stated, a player needs to have trained at a club for 3 years before the age of 21.

I honestly can't understand what the Premier League are doing here, they spend almost two decades creating the undisputed best league in the world, containing the best players, and now are going to lower the overall standard apparently in the interests of the national side. I don't know how others feel but in my opinion the English squad is at least equal to the world's greatest national teams. The problem is that the players have so far underperformed on the international stage. Had England won the 2006 World Cup I don't think this decision would have been made.
      king-nando
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 148 posts |
      Reply #33: Sep 16, 2009 12:02:02 pm
      A team can have 17 players that are above 21 and not home grown. the remaining 8 of the 25 must be home grown and under 21. It doesn't really change anything.

the 8 dont have to be under 21 they just have to have been at an english or welsh club for 3 years before they turn 21.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #34: Sep 16, 2009 12:48:11 pm
      Home-grown rule introduced
      Finances
      "They will all have to annually submit accounts and future financial information," said Scudamore.

"At all times the board of the Premier League will be applying a test which basically says this: can the club fulfil its fixtures, pay off its creditors when they are due and also to meet obligations to the Premier League's contracts and partners?

"If the board believe a club is at risk of not meeting those obligations, it has to then step in and agree a budget for the running of that club. Any transfers can be embargoed.
      "It's absolutely crucial that these clubs are run as ongoing viable concerns. These financial rules apply immediately.

"This is tied in, and we passed the rule during the summer, to a 'fit and proper person test'. At our club meeting last week, the clubs absolutely endorsed our position of not linking expenditure to income."
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5560131,00.html

I have a couple of questions about this:

1. What the F**k is Scuadmore (A Jockey) doing in charge of the FA?.......... what does he know about football?.....

2. The real worrying thing about this announcement for me is the financial element, where the FA can step in a regulate a clubs budget?......

It seems to me that it is giving the FA carte blanche to step into and meddle with a clubs affairs if they don't like what a club is doing?...... and the real kicker for me is the bit about 'not meeting the FA's requirements'.......... this could mean the FA acting in its own best interests and NOT the interests of the club involved?........

Or am I talking out of my arse?  :f_doh:
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Sep 16, 2009 01:05:19 pm
      Rafa or Wenger do seem to be fans of these new regulations. I'm also suprised that the FA would bring in regulations that would possibly weakened there clubs on the European stage. These rules would be grand if they are brought in European wide but they have not been.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #36: Sep 16, 2009 03:23:01 pm

I have a couple of questions about this:

1. What the f**k is Scuadmore (A Jockey) doing in charge of the FA?.......... what does he know about football?.....

2. The real worrying thing about this announcement for me is the financial element, where the FA can step in a regulate a clubs budget?......

It seems to me that it is giving the FA carte blanche to step into and meddle with a clubs affairs if they don't like what a club is doing?...... and the real kicker for me is the bit about 'not meeting the FA's requirements'.......... this could mean the FA acting in its own best interests and NOT the interests of the club involved?........

Or am I talking out of my arse?  :f_doh:

Spot on ;D. You are talking out of your arse.

Richard Scudamore is not a jockey his second cousin Peter Scudamore is.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #37: Sep 16, 2009 06:06:28 pm
      Came up on SSN that we have 9 home grown players, Chelsea have 8 and didn't see the Mancs or Arsenals.

Villa piss on all of us though with 24.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #38: Sep 16, 2009 06:22:47 pm
      I think this could push for Carlton Cole to join us

Imagine if Chelsea didnt have enough home grown players, and they couldnt sign anyone, what would they do?
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #39: Sep 16, 2009 06:57:43 pm
      The only thing that this rule changes DRASTICALLY is the price for english , welsh and  young players who have been in england  or wales for more than 3 years . Naturally going up up and up (the price I mean )
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #40: Sep 16, 2009 07:26:47 pm
      Really don't think we have anything to worry about here.

Currently we have enough players who fall into this catagory, and with the amount of youngsters that Rafa has brought into the Academy the last few seasons, I'm sure we'll be set for the next 10-15 years.

Besides, with Dalglish in charge of our youth policy, I'm certain it's only going to get better, not worse! ;)
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #41: Sep 16, 2009 09:43:41 pm
      Villa piss on all of us though with 24.

But how many of those players would get into a top 4 team. 1 is the answer.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #42: Sep 16, 2009 09:49:28 pm
      What would your CURRENT squad of 25-30 be then? Or does it have to be 25?
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #43: Sep 17, 2009 04:07:05 am

Not really worried both that, Rafa's net spend is something like -£14 million for this year, perhaps the FA will be a little more generous with the club's money than the two tw*ts who own the club  ;)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #44: Sep 17, 2009 05:00:36 am
      In the short term out of the top 4 we will probably not suit us.  This is good  for utd as this is the single factor that they have done so well in Europe since the rule was introduced.  Before the rule came in effect they never got close to the final for a decade!

They have Ferdinand, Brown, Neville, Scoles, Giggs, Carrick, Fletcher, Rooney, and now Owen to choose from not mentioning Hargreaves and probably more.   We have Carragher, Johnson, Gerrard and Insua then we have to make shift.  In a few seasons maybe some of our potential may materialise.  But till then we only have a 21 man squad.  So we really need to do something about it.

Chelsea will have 8 good players.  With Arsenal they probably have most of their squad to choose. 

Quick Reply