Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today?

Yossi Benayoun
      30 (33.3%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      19 (21.1%)
      Albert Riera
      4 (4.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      25 (27.8%)
      Emiliano Insua
      3 (3.3%)
      Steven Gerrard
      6 (6.7%)
      Ryan Babel
      3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 89

(UCL) Liverpool FC 1 - 0 Debreceni VSC - Post Match Joyish

Read 17645 times
      RedRyan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Re: (UCL) Liverpool FC 1 - 0 Debreceni VSC - Post Match Joyish
      Reply #46: Sep 16, 2009 10:14:00 pm
      The crowd had nothing to shout or sing about. The game was very dull and lifeless.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #47: Sep 16, 2009 10:15:34 pm
      The crowd had nothing to shout or sing about. The game was very dull and lifeless.

That's no excuse. If the crowd gets behind the team then it's likely to be lifeless! If there's life in the crowd then there's more chance of there being life on the pitch.
      RedRyan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #48: Sep 16, 2009 10:20:19 pm
      That's no excuse. If the crowd gets behind the team then it's likely to be lifeless! If there's life in the crowd then there's more chance of there being life on the pitch.

But its natural instinct that when your team is playing poorly and are struggling over a very average side, then your going to become aggitated and frustrated, in no mood to sing or chant, its just way it is, at any club or stadium.

Now if it was 0-0 or 1-0 to us, and we were actually playing well then thats when the crowd can get behind the team to push them forward for the next goal.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #49: Sep 16, 2009 10:41:28 pm

I usually go against this sort of statement but on this occasion - and having been in the Kop tonight myself - I agree.

Terribly frustrating show of football from the reds for large parts of the game. And there was a good bit of singing from the beginning but the groans and moans, which were justified more often than not, soon took over. And in any case, we all know that there's a problem with a lot of people raising their voices at Anfield if we're not playing an 'exclusive' fixture. So any of the usual spectators who can't be arsed singing at the match aren't gonna suddenly wake up and realise what they're there for when we resemble a team with no idea.

And I feel that's what we looked like for large parts of the game. It seemed to me that the final ball was usually turning into a pass of hope.

There was of course a few individual performances that deserve praise. Yossi looked up for it again and Lucas showed grit and determination to help the team win - or at least keep hold of the ball.

I don't know. I'll have to watch it again to reflect on it properly, but at the time, we didn't really click tonight.

But a win's a win no matter what the performance so that's something that's keeping me smiling.

leeper1892
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 99 posts | -2 
      Reply #50: Sep 16, 2009 10:42:21 pm
      what an awful match. i dont really think any of the team stood out. i really thought the passing was poor and we were not clinical up front. pepe had to make a few smart saves. johnson might as well have been sitting next to me, carra and skrtel werent bad, insua wasnt great. yossi and stevie were decent, lucas and riera drifted in and out, kuyt ran socks off, and torres either looks tired or unfit. would like to have seen a bit longer for babel. just a thought, why not give spearing or ngog, or voronin a go tonight. this is the sort of game they would work there socks off, at anfield! it would have given the 2 strikers the chance to prove they can hit the back of the net.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #51: Sep 16, 2009 10:43:52 pm
      I usually go against this sort of statement but on this occasion - and having been in the Kop tonight myself - I agree.

I blame you :P

:laugh:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #52: Sep 16, 2009 10:46:49 pm
      Pretty poor performances all round tonight. It seems it depended where you were sitting in the ground, as to who your MOTM was, going by all the previous coments. I gave it to Dirk as his usual persistant effort saw him able to pounce on the rebound from Torres shot. Otherwise he made as many errors as everyone else. Need to step it up for the hammers at the week end though. Anyway 3 points because we were better than them, even if we were well below our best.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #53: Sep 16, 2009 10:49:03 pm
      Lucas MOM for me.

He played well, I've bashed him and bashed him but I think he deserves the praise tonight.  'Waiting for the I told you so'.  ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #54: Sep 16, 2009 10:52:03 pm

;D

Trust me. I did try as always mate.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #55: Sep 16, 2009 10:57:17 pm
      Bookies had us 1to 10 and Debrecini @25/1.The question is how difficult is it to get fully psyched up for a game like this ?Not making excuses for such a laclustre performance.We obviously should have done better.Decent performance from Lucas (was one of his biggest critics)growing in stature imo.And its starting to be the norm to congratulate Yossi on another excellent job tonight.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #56: Sep 16, 2009 10:57:44 pm
      Lucas MOM for me.

He played well, I've bashed him and bashed him but I think he deserves the praise tonight.  'Waiting for the I told you so'.  ;)

*Mags circles to Jaws music*
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #57: Sep 16, 2009 10:58:06 pm
      It was an uninspiring performance to be honest but the points are in the bag and there were one or two optimistic signs in particular the mazy run by Yossi on the 65th minute if he would have slotted that goal and the keeper only fumbled it away, it would have been goal of the century. When Rafa brought Babel on I thought he'd made a mistake with the numbers but the lad never put a foot wrong and for the short time he was on the field his input was impressive.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #58: Sep 16, 2009 10:59:09 pm
      ;D

Trust me. I did try as always mate.

Told you what the atmosphere was going to be like tonight, didn't I.

The Main Stand only really joined in when a few chants got going in the kop.

I spent most of the game yawning!!

We seemed to be stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear and couldn't be arsed stepping it up.

Every pass by Gerrard was overhit, Torres did well in patches, same as Riera.

For me Skrtel was MOTM, did everything that was needed at the back and pretty much won every header.

We won, which is the most important thing, but need to start putting in a few good performances in the next couple of games.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #59: Sep 16, 2009 10:59:59 pm
      Start slow and grow as the competition progresses. Cup isnt handed out tonight
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #60: Sep 16, 2009 11:01:40 pm
      Bookies had us 1to 10 and Debrecini @25/1.The question is how difficult is it to get fully psyched up for a game like this ?Not making excuses for such a laclustre performance.We obviously should have done better.Decent performance from Lucas (was one of his biggest critics)growing in stature imo.And its starting to be the norm to congratulate Yossi on another excellent job tonight.

I agree with those sentiments. It can be easy to fall into 2 minds on whether they will sit back in damage control or actually try and do something and some of the lads thought it was the first. Complacency just did it's job from there on.

As you say though, no excuses for some of the stuff on display.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #61: Sep 16, 2009 11:04:24 pm
      Start slow and grow as the competition progresses. Cup isnt handed out tonight

Agree mate, but I think the below-par performance hasn't helped.

Another night we could of snotted them four or five nil.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #62: Sep 16, 2009 11:06:15 pm
      As everyone has said it was a flat performance but 3 points so it'll so.  I think the team dropped tempo in 2nd half cos oppostion weren't that good but I'm sure the lack of atmousphere must have contributed.  Can't believe there were that many unsold seats...it just wasn't the usual european night at Anfield. Yossi and Lucas + Babel were impressive - aside from a few miss kicks I thought Stevie was fine - he can't play to perfection every game.  Both Manure and the Chavs were poor in their opening games too!  ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #63: Sep 16, 2009 11:07:52 pm
      Agree mate, but I think the below-par performance hasn't helped.

Another night we could of snotted them four or five nil.

Yep could have done a Besiktas and then have every tom dick and harry blow us up as the best side ever. 1 nil means 3 points and the weaknesses aren't hidden.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #64: Sep 16, 2009 11:08:29 pm
      Just home from the game. The Mighty Reds go marching on in Europe eh? ;)

I'll give it to Lucas. MOM that is.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #65: Sep 16, 2009 11:26:07 pm
      Very average performance, but got the win.

Lucas was superb won all of his challenges and showed good strenght too. MOTM by a mile.

Kuyt's determination to follow through won the game for us. Well in.
      Milan_Marinkovich
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts |
      • Love The Reds whatever happens!!!
      Reply #66: Sep 16, 2009 11:33:53 pm
      I have just finished watching the highlights since there wasn't any TV channel in my country that televised a live coverage of the match and so I'll have to wait till tomorrow night to see the whole match on LFC TV via SportKlub channel.

Definitely was not as easy game as it was initially expected and maybe Rafa should have rested a few players instead of lining up the entire starting XI from only three days ago 'cause some of the lads were probably a bit tired.

Anyway the most important is that we've got all three points as well as the clean sheet having been kept  :)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #67: Sep 16, 2009 11:45:43 pm
      sh*t performance. Good result.

I can't pick a man of the match because I thought they were all poor.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #68: Sep 17, 2009 12:03:55 am
      Torres was given little service.

Quick Reply