Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Post Match: Fiorentina 2 Liverpool 0

Read 30785 times
      djandyl
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Re: Post Match: Fiorentina 2 Liverpool 0
      Reply #69: Sep 29, 2009 10:15:20 pm
      How frustrating!! It happens too much, we have some class results and start showing consistency and this happens.
      I'm really depressed now!! Think I'll go and watch Saturdays highlights to sort meself out!?!?!

Boo hoo  :f_wah:
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #70: Sep 29, 2009 10:15:41 pm
      Just got back from my ECDL course. I missed it but my mate said i was better of missing it.

As its only the second game it gives us time to recover and we will do.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #71: Sep 29, 2009 10:16:08 pm
      Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I missed the match and judging  by some of the posts it wasn't good.

Were the Fiorentina goals set pieces?  
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #72: Sep 29, 2009 10:21:45 pm
      Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I missed the match and judging  by some of the posts it wasn't good.

Were the Fiorentina goals set pieces? 
      No neither were from set pieces, we have started letting goals in from open play now
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #73: Sep 29, 2009 10:23:46 pm
      A shocking first 45 minutes cost us there. What was wrong with the lads? No midfield at all, which Rafa should have reacted quicker to.

If we play like that for 15 minutes on Sunday we are f**ked! Couldn't pass couldn't get a tackle in couldn't do anything. Second half was much better but would leave ye going back to my first question..what was wrong with them first half

By the way those of you predicting 4 nils or 4 1s tonight must feel like right idiots
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #74: Sep 29, 2009 10:25:50 pm
      I thought everything was going to be alright when Vronin came on to sort things out. :f_whistle:
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #75: Sep 29, 2009 10:27:30 pm
      does anyone else feel carraghers making too many mistakes?
      me missed mascherano today, aurelio should be on the left he cant cope with the centre like masch can
      wonder if aquilani will make a difference when he's fit?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #76: Sep 29, 2009 10:29:49 pm
      We lost one game and it's all 'Mascherano and Alonso missing'.  F**k off Strachan you gnome.

At half-time Richard Keys was almost buzzing.

We lost that with a sh*t first-half performance, personally thought Yossi had an absolute sh*te game, no real chances to speak of.

Second-half was a little bit better, Kuyt should of buried when he got into the box instead of trying to head square. Lucas's header was unlucky.

That jotevic apart from scoring two goals went down after every F***ing challenge, the diving little c**t and we should of had a penalty when Torres went over.

Move on and heads up for our next game against the cockney rent-boys.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #77: Sep 29, 2009 10:30:41 pm
      Really poor.

Pissed! had a hectic day and now this?

Solution: Beat Lyon at home and away.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #78: Sep 29, 2009 10:31:57 pm
      does anyone else feel carraghers making too many mistakes?

Feel that about the rest of our defence to be honest like.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #79: Sep 29, 2009 10:32:37 pm
      I cannot believe Gerrard was played up front when in the middle we have seen what happens this season without Stevie back there, unbelievable. I just cannot understand why things were not changed out on the pitch when we seen we were being killed through the middle, one more thing, we had the chances to come back but again we didn't take them.
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #80: Sep 29, 2009 10:41:13 pm
      Feel that about the rest of our defence to be honest like.

i rate skrtel mind. insuas fault for 1st goal though. the defense stay in a line for a reason :|
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #81: Sep 29, 2009 10:44:14 pm
      Did Aurelio not play in centre mid at one point towards the end of last season and have a good solid game?

If i am right in thinking this then i cant see there being any reason for Rafa playing him there today being a gamble :-\
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #82: Sep 29, 2009 10:44:27 pm
      i rate skrtel mind. insuas fault for 1st goal though. the defense stay in a line for a reason :|

Both him and Johnson were at fault for the first.
      sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #83: Sep 29, 2009 10:47:38 pm
      Did Aurelio not play in centre mid at one point towards the end of last season and have a good solid game?

If I am right in thinking this then I cant see there being any reason for Rafa playing him there today being a gamble :-\

yeah but do you really want him to partner up with lucas? hes not the most experinced midfielder, if you want lucas to play good you want a solid through and through centre mid next to him not an emergency centre mid
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #84: Sep 29, 2009 10:48:50 pm
      First half, we were dreadful. Hardly saw and kept the ball. The first Fiorentina goal looked offside but there's no point harping on that.

Second half, we improved. A much better performance but we couldn't get a goal in.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #85: Sep 29, 2009 10:51:50 pm
      Aurelio played in mid-field against Portsmouth away last season and was v competent!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #86: Sep 29, 2009 10:52:30 pm
      yeah but do you really want him to partner up with lucas? hes not the most experinced midfielder, if you want lucas to play good you want a solid through and through centre mid next to him not an emergency centre mid

I wasn't saying play him there as a permanent fixture but maybe Rafa thought it would be best for Gerrard to be in the attacking role for this game because they have been so strong at the back so far this season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #87: Sep 29, 2009 10:53:05 pm
      Hamann. Love that guy.

Still talks about Liverpool as 'we'.

He is boss.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #88: Sep 29, 2009 10:53:15 pm
      Hey guys i missed the game but listened on the radio (Talksport), I heard that both Skrtel and Carra werent up to much today in particular their distribution of the ball, apparently Fiorentina were inviting us onto them, but the two CBs were hoofing it forward, is that the case? Also they were raving about Jovetic, was he really any good?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #89: Sep 29, 2009 10:53:41 pm
      Like I've already said, we went into that game being casual and with a lack of determination and desire.

They got onto this and the notion of playing the mighty LFC gradually started to fade and we allowed them to play through us.

In my view, Rafa got it wrong by not changing the midfield in the first half. Lucas and Aurelio simply couldn't cope and it left us wide open in defence when we were constantly under pressure. But the lack of leadership in defence didn't help things either.

Ideally, we should be going out to win in every game we play in. A high tempo and an urgency to switch the play. But that didn't happen tonight. All over the midfield there was four or five players for them constantly waiting to pick up the ball. And when they did, they only had one thing in mind and that was to drive forward.

But what did we do? We stayed static. And because of this we played it backwards or sideways. Or just hoofed it up.

We should have got into them tonight from the off and we should have wanted those three points. Because they wouldn't have been able to handle it. But we let them in, gave them confidence and we paid for it.

A very bad night at the office. It's no good trying to pick things up half way through the game. We've got to be committed if we want to win things this season. No matter who's picked to play.

It's alright saying we can do better against the chavs at the weekend. But if the players think this, then there's something truly wrong.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #90: Sep 29, 2009 11:01:28 pm
      Calmed down a bit now.

1st half was as shocking as i've seen from us in Europe for a while but the 2nd half was more promising.

I'm not going to wax lyrical about how things might've been different if Masch had played but in all honesty i think it wouldn't have been much different even if he had, it was just one of those nights. The most alarming thing about Masch being out was just how glaringly obvious our lack of squad depth is when we have to play Aurelio in centre midfield.

Chelsea will be a test but it'll also be a game played at a much higher tempo than tonights was which will be better for us but we need to be 100% on the money as Chelsea are a much bigger ask than Fiorentina were.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #91: Sep 29, 2009 11:03:21 pm
      No neither were from set pieces, we have started letting goals in from open play now
      Ugh!  I guess I didn't miss a thing.

Curious, how did Carra and Skrtel play?

Quick Reply