Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Chelsea vs Liverpool Pre-match Thread

Read 18207 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Chelsea vs Liverpool Pre-match Thread
      Reply #138: Oct 04, 2009 09:17:30 am
      A win here and we're 1 off the top. I would be disappointed otherwise. Too much riding on this game for a draw, not even considering a loss. Of course there are twists and turns but if we can hit them a blow now, that'll put them into a bit of bother mentally taking into consideration some past results. If we can win, it'll be a massive boost for Rafa and his team.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #139: Oct 04, 2009 09:34:43 am
      If Stevie and Torres are up for it a win must be possible but given our shaky defense lately I think a draw would be ok and still leaves us just 3 points of the top and I would rather keep just of the top until later on in the season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #140: Oct 04, 2009 09:38:24 am
      Yeah that shaky defence has me worried abit too. Drogba in fine form against Carra and Skrtel scares me. He's been all over Carra and Martin since i can remember when they were in top form.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #141: Oct 04, 2009 10:15:59 am
      As I said in the last match thread (vs Fiorentina), this week I dreamed about Liverpool beating Chelsea. I don't know if that's the reason but I'm feeling really confident. 3x0 to us. Come on Reds.

I had a dream albeit different from yours, but the message was nevertheless the same!

I dreamt that I was on the computer, logging into my PL Fantasy League and then I had a check to only find out Torres scored 30 odd points with 4 goals!!

If that happens to be the case tonight then I am well chuffed ;D
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #142: Oct 04, 2009 10:16:55 am
      Offence wins matches and defence wins championships.  I have no doubt in our ability to score against Chelski so Defence has to complement our attack.  Hope that some of our defenders will score today along with our frontline strikers.  Come on Liverpool
      nh2avn
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #143: Oct 04, 2009 10:39:23 am
      Terry Venables compared Torres and Drogba by giving them points. The result was 74-71, so the match Chel - Liv: 1-4.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #144: Oct 04, 2009 10:54:01 am
      A win here and we're 1 off the top. I would be disappointed otherwise. Too much riding on this game for a draw, not even considering a loss. Of course there are twists and turns but if we can hit them a blow now, that'll put them into a bit of bother mentally taking into consideration some past results. If we can win, it'll be a massive boost for Rafa and his team.

Exactly.

This game could well and truly kick start our season. It's the first game of a very trick period so let's start well.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #145: Oct 04, 2009 11:58:06 am
      Yeap, after this a very tricky month so let's do them over today and keep the good prem form going.

Need Benny to start or come on early in the second half to have a real go at their defence.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #146: Oct 04, 2009 12:13:55 pm
      Not looking forward to this game after Tuesdays show. Just got a bad feeling.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1649 
      Reply #147: Oct 04, 2009 12:32:53 pm
      Nervous! Only want a win, draw is useless after the mancs dropped points. Got to be on top of our game today, and need our defence to finally put in a quality performance.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #148: Oct 04, 2009 12:55:54 pm
      We must attack them. Nando and Stevie to hopefully run riot. Will be hard fought, but confident.

Come on lads!
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #149: Oct 04, 2009 12:58:55 pm
      Not looking forward to this game after Tuesdays show. Just got a bad feeling.

With you on this one mate, we need to book our defensive mistakes up because Drogba is on fire at the moment and could cause Carra and Skrtel big problems. The team I would play.

REINA
      JOHNO    CARRA  SKRTEL  AURELIO
                    GERRARD MASCH
      KUYT                                     RIERA
                            YOSSI
                                 NANDO.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #150: Oct 04, 2009 01:01:23 pm
      With you on this one mate, we need to book our defensive mistakes up because Drogba is on fire at the moment and could cause Carra and Skrtel big problems. The team I would play.

REINA
                    GERRARD MASCH
                            YOSSI
                                 NANDO.

I'm actually wondering if that would be the better option rather than dropping Riera/Benayoun and playing Lucas. I reckon Lucas will start, but we'll see.

I'm gonna get pretty nervous about this soon, I can tell.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #151: Oct 04, 2009 01:09:24 pm
      I'm actually wondering if that would be the better option rather than dropping Riera/Benayoun and playing Lucas. I reckon Lucas will start, but we'll see.

I'm gonna get pretty nervous about this soon, I can tell.

The way I see it is that if Gerrard plays in the hole he will be man marked by Essien and Gerrard goes missing when being man marked. Drop Gerrard into the middle where Essien would need to come further forward to mark him and the defence would be exposed to the threat of Yossi's speed and flair.

As much as Lucas has improved this season we need seasoned midfielders to try and dominate the midfield. Johnson will have Malouda in his back pocket and Kuyt has the engine to keep Ashley Cole from over lapping Malouda.

Torres will need to be at the top of his game if he wants to continue his goal scoring run. If he scores in the 1st half I can only see his confidence growing, on the other hand if he is getting kicked everywhere fromn Carvalho then he can't let it get him down and must laugh it off and make a show of him.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #152: Oct 04, 2009 01:11:36 pm
      Torres will need to be at the top of his game if he wants to continue his goal scoring run. If he scores in the 1st half I can only see his confidence growing, on the other hand if he is getting kicked everywhere fromn Carvalho then he can't let it get him down and must laugh it off and make a show of him.

That there is vital.

No giving up today, from anyone.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #153: Oct 04, 2009 01:16:36 pm
      That there is vital.

No giving up today, from anyone.

On paper this is the hardest league game of the season and we can seriously shut up the critics who say we miss Alonso.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #154: Oct 04, 2009 01:19:27 pm
      I'm not completely sure of what result to expect from this match seeing it's our first biggest test in the League so far.

No word on Aquilani?  I have a sneeky feeling Rafa's got a trick up his sleeve.  ;)
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 191 
      Reply #155: Oct 04, 2009 01:24:24 pm
      Not happy with the draw. Sunderland were playing some good stuff, really deserved to win. Were they singing YNWA?

I think i heard YNWA too!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #156: Oct 04, 2009 01:29:52 pm

REINA
                    GERRARD MASCH
                            YOSSI
                                 NANDO.
      Have to agree with this as well. Lucas isn't stong enough and will put more pressure on our back four, who need that like a hole in the head at the moment. We need to get at them from the off and put them on the back foot. Keep a high tempo and get them unsettled as their confidence can't be great at the mo. Need to get our passing going but not too much sideways and back We need to get early balls and support up front. We can do this and build on it for the rest of the season. 1 - 3 the red men. :aaliverpool2xt1:
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #157: Oct 04, 2009 01:49:52 pm
      I am not going into this game overly confident after the way we played in Florence yet the fact we played so poorly could spark a reaction from the players as i am sure Benitez had words after that showing on Tuesday.

Our defence looks shaky and Drogba is in good form so I think we will have done quite well to keep a clean sheet today. Offcourse with us having scored so many goals this term, we could definatley get a couple which could turn this into a bit of a game, regardless of the fact that this fixture has been almost traditionally cagey over the past few years.

We should look to have shots from distance early on in the game to test thier stand in keeper. If he has a shaky start we could capitalise through the course of the game. I would stick with Insua at left back as I believe Aurelio needs a few games under his belt untill he starts performing like he can. I would like to see Mascherano back in the team but would not be suprised if he and Lucas  both played with Gerrard in the hole. Hopefully Glen Johnson will show the rent boys what they are missing out on by letting him go. Keep Cashley Cole and Malouda quiet.

Rafa to get the best of Ancelotti :)
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #158: Oct 04, 2009 02:06:30 pm
      C weome on boys, show all these 'so called' experts the real Liverpool, Im right up for this one today, its such an important game to win this as Utd dropped points we can virtually erase any points we've dropped and it will also give us a proper boost. Its probably going to be counter attack today, letting them come at us and hitting them fast on the break, but we've got to be rock solid back there today.
      But im very confident if we play to our strengths we can get a win there today, and im looking for a big performance from Stevie . Yossi could be so important today too. Its the sort of tight game he can be the key in, i fancy him to get a goal.
      SO COME ON REDMEN :drinking: :kop5cf8koxp6: ge right into them :boxing:
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #159: Oct 04, 2009 02:13:58 pm
      Need Agger to put in an appearance and a 30 yard street banger!
      markbfm
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #160: Oct 04, 2009 02:21:14 pm
      Need Agger to put in an appearance and a 30 yard street banger!

F***ing hey!

Quick Reply