Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Agger In New Injury Scare/Rafa Backing Defence

Read 3124 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,414 posts | 8643 
      Agger In New Injury Scare/Rafa Backing Defence
      Oct 08, 2009 08:50:39 pm
      New injury scare for Daniel Agger as Rafa Benitez backs Liverpool FC defence
      Oct 8 2009  by Dominic King, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ today backed Martin Skrtel and Jamie Carragher to prove the doubters wrong – as Daniel Agger was at the centre of a new injury scare.

Both defenders have found their form called into question during the opening months of the season after Liverpool have conceded an unusually high amount of goals.

The only time the Reds have kept a clean sheet with them in the middle was in the 4-0 drubbing of Burnley in September, but Benitez is confident that is about to change.

He has taken heart from the pair’s battling efforts in the 2-0 defeat at Chelsea last Sunday and expects their normal miserly service to be resumed after the international break.

“If you analyse the performance of the centre- backs, it was clear to see they were much better and that was the positive thing to take from the game,” said Benitez.

“Skrtel is a really good player and ‘Carra’ was doing better again; maybe you could say something about the second goal but the signs, for me, were much better.

“It was a difficult game for the central defenders to play and you know that when you come up against the top sides you must keep it tight.

“We paid for one mistake (in midfield) but, in the main, I was very pleased with the performances of Skrtel and ‘Carra’ and they were doing the right things.”

Skrtel is currently away with Slovakia for their World Cup qualifiers against Slovenia and Poland and Agger is in Denmark ahead of the crucial Group One clash with Sweden.

Whether Agger plays, though, remains to be seen, as he was ordered to sit out training yesterday in Copenhagen by Denmark’s medical staff as a precaution.

The last thing Benitez wants from this latest gap in the fixture list is for any of his senior squad members to return from international duty with any fitness issues.

Liverpool have crucial games against Sunderland, Lyon and Manchester United coming up straight after the break and those eight days could define the campaign.

But while the stakes are going to be high, Benitez is expecting a positive response after the reverse at Stamford Bridge.

The Reds’ boss has taken encouragement from certain aspects of that performance.

“It was very difficult after the game as you know the time will be slow during an international break when you have lost,” said Benitez.

“We have got an important week coming up when the international players come back but I have taken positives.

“By the end we had control of the game and Chelsea were playing on the counterattack.

“We showed a lot of character in the last 20 minutes and that was a positive.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/10/08/new-injury-scare-for-daniel-agger-as-rafa-benitez-backs-liverpool-fc-defence-100252-24880023/2/
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Re: Agger In New Injury Scare/Rafa Backing Defence
      Reply #1: Oct 08, 2009 08:54:49 pm
      And I repeat damn internationals, might as well take a golf club and beat Liverpool players about and call it an international.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #2: Oct 08, 2009 09:26:15 pm
      let's hope it is nothing serious, we need a fit Agger pushing for a first-team place
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #3: Oct 08, 2009 10:03:15 pm
      Why is he even there?  He's not played this season apart from a run out for 60 odd minutes in the ressies.  Really hope he is ok.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Oct 08, 2009 10:11:58 pm
      Why is he even there?  He's not played this season apart from a run out for 60 odd minutes in the ressies.  Really hope he is ok.

Exactly what I was thinking.

And it would have been nice if Dominic (the everton reporter for the Echo by the way - not sure why he's reporting on us lately?) had been specific about the nature of the precaution? I presume it's his back?
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #5: Oct 08, 2009 10:35:22 pm
      And it would have been nice if Dominic (the everton reporter for the Echo by the way - not sure why he's reporting on us lately?) had been specific about the nature of the precaution? I presume it's his back?

This their first training session? It doesn't say he's aggravated it. How he is there and they are considering playing him in a full international after 60 minutes in the reserves is absolutely beyond me.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #6: Oct 08, 2009 11:36:04 pm
      And I repeat damn internationals, might as well take a golf club and beat Liverpool players about and call it an international.
      Quoted for truth.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,124 posts | 3370 
      Reply #7: Oct 09, 2009 12:14:49 am
      Sell the crock.

Bit of a worry though all these injuries, though he shouldn't of bee with Denmark. Should of been home resting for Liverpool. Ah well injuries are part of the game and it just looks like Dan is having some serious bad luck at the moment with them.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Oct 09, 2009 12:28:16 am
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,124 posts | 3370 
      Reply #9: Oct 09, 2009 12:33:47 am
      Sell them an all.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #10: Oct 09, 2009 12:36:02 am

Fella on the left looks like Lucas. ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Oct 09, 2009 06:10:38 am
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #12: Oct 09, 2009 07:04:29 am
      I still don't believe in this duo, Agger should be back. Carragher was really not good last time, and it's for the best of the team to reconsider playing him..
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #13: Oct 09, 2009 08:54:43 am
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Oct 09, 2009 09:06:23 am

Don't give Bellamy another excuse.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #15: Oct 09, 2009 09:50:09 am
      Don't give Bellamy another excuse.

Come on, we'll win the league then!
      Remember what happened between John Arne Riise and Craig Bellamy? They both scored at the Nou Camp after that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,677 posts | 6973 
      Reply #16: Oct 09, 2009 10:17:02 am

Exactly.  He is in way ready to play for his country.

This whole farce of internationals is an absolute joke.  Pisses me off in a big way.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #17: Oct 09, 2009 10:25:20 am
      Come on, we'll win the league then!
      Remember what happened between John Arne Riise and Craig Bellamy? They both scored at the Nou Camp after that.

Ah, touche good sir. Very good point! Should give Voronin and Babel a wack with the thing.

Torres and now Dagger. We were doing fantastic with injuries, just had people coming back and then this happens. Who gives a toss about the World Cup compared to club football, I certainly don't. I love watching it, but if i had to choose i would not hesitate in going for Liverpool any day of the week.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,867 posts | 6802 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Oct 09, 2009 11:17:55 am
      The article has the big headline saying "Agger in new injury scare" but only has one line on it, the rest is about Benitez backing the Defence....why bother mentioning Agger at all ???
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,414 posts | 8643 
      Reply #19: Oct 09, 2009 12:25:13 pm
      Exactly what I was thinking.

He's just got the job, James Pearce was just filling in. From what I've heard, Dominic is actually a red!

Quick Reply