Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

The Steven Gerrard Effect

Read 5913 times
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      The Steven Gerrard Effect
      Oct 07, 2009 03:43:15 pm
      I have been hesitant to post this over the last couple of days, as a result of being accused of being "A secret Manc".  >:(

But, this is something that has really niggled me over the last few weeks. Steven Gerrard: Last year one of the top 5 players in the world, and imo Liverpool's player of the season. This season however his performances have declined rapidly imo. Yes he has struck 3 goals, but one of those was a penalty and the other an absolute fluke vs Hull. Now, I'm not usually a negative fan, but I am willing to stick my neck out on this occasion and say that Steven Gerrard is really losing his effect on this liverpool side and within the next few months, I think fans and critics alike will be saying Stevie is unfortunately "past it".

I know everybody is now going to start the tonguelashing and accuse me of being a Manc, but I am only venting my frustration at what has really been an abismal start to the season by Stevie G.

Thoughts?
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Re: The Steven Gerrard Effect
      Reply #1: Oct 07, 2009 03:54:58 pm
      ƍ'll give my few cents on this.

Gerrard has been consistently performing at the top level since the turn of the century, 10 years of distinguished service he leads the Reds out. Admittedly Gerrard has blomssomed into arguably Liverpool's finest player of all time (alongside with King Kenny). His influence on this game today and on the Reds is second to none, his influence on the team is so great that no captain can come close to matching.

Gerrard has been putting in 8-9/10 performances for nearly every game he plays in, the standard he sets for himself is so high, out of this world and you can see a standout on the pitch. When he isn't doing well, having a off day or is off-form, a slight decline in his performance will result in people sitting up and say 'Take note', is he past it?

When you have set the bar so high for yourself, and have been performing at the highest level it is only fair to say that when a little dip in performance/form, everyone will be pointing fingers at you. The drop gets obvious.

In fact, I have no worries for Steven because he is yet to hit his peak. 29 years old yes, he isn't that fast, with that drive or that flexible as compared when he was 24, but he still has that impact on us. Midfielders only hit their peak at 29-31, so it's fair to say Steven is not past it yet.

After 8 games it is unfair to say that Gerrard is losing his effect. It isn't the case. Just like the whole team it is a bad start to the season and Gerrard is just another bad performer.

I have utmost faith in Gerrard to emerge in the second half, up his standard and drive the Reds to glory.
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #2: Oct 07, 2009 03:58:53 pm
      ƍ'll give my few cents on this.

Gerrard has been consistently performing at the top level since the turn of the century, 10 years of distinguished service he leads the Reds out. Admittedly Gerrard has blomssomed into arguably Liverpool's finest player of all time (alongside with King Kenny). His influence on this game today and on the Reds is second to none, his influence on the team is so great that no captain can come close to matching.

Gerrard has been putting in 8-9/10 performances for nearly every game he plays in, the standard he sets for himself is so high, out of this world and you can see a standout on the pitch. When he isn't doing well, having a off day or is off-form, a slight decline in his performance will result in people sitting up and say 'Take note', is he past it?

When you have set the bar so high for yourself, and have been performing at the highest level it is only fair to say that when a little dip in performance/form, everyone will be pointing fingers at you. The drop gets obvious.

In fact, I have no worries for Steven because he is yet to hit his peak. 29 years old yes, he isn't that fast, with that drive or that flexible as compared when he was 24, but he still has that impact on us. Midfielders only hit their peak at 29-31, so it's fair to say Steven is not past it yet.

After 8 games it is unfair to say that Gerrard is losing his effect. It isn't the case. Just like the whole team it is a bad start to the season and Gerrard is just another bad performer.

I have utmost faith in Gerrard to emerge in the second half, up his standard and drive the Reds to glory.

Good post mate, but I just think he's struggling for form at the minute and tbh he has never had as bad a start to a season before. As regards the 8-9/10 rating per match. Well, that has declined rapidly now imo. The chelsea game for instance, I would give him a 6, same with the Villa and Fiorentina games......
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #3: Oct 07, 2009 04:00:10 pm
      Now, I'm not usually a negative fan

And Im Jesus Christ.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Oct 07, 2009 04:03:44 pm
      Well,

First of all, I think Steven Gerrard excelled in the past is due to the presence of Alonso. Whether he's beside or in front of him, Stevie would perform well as we have seen him excel as a right winger in 2004/2005, a centre midfielder beside Alonso is other seasons and in front of Alonso (or just behind the lone striker) in 2007 to 2009. I am not putting down Lucas or Mascherano but IMO, Alonso was in a class of his own. That quality of a range of passing and vision second to none and being able to keep his composure while under pressure most of the time has made Xabi Alonso a pretty reliable man in the centre of the park and players like this don't come often. Alonso lacks the sliding tackle ability but he has quick feet and we have seen that many times. He's also pretty influential in games.

Furthermore, Xabi Alonso plays forward passed be it to the centre, left or right more than Lucas and Mascherano does. I know Xabi Alonso is gone and we should move on, but I just thought this would be a reason, not entirely but one of it that has contributed to our indifferent start to the league. I just feel that with Lucas and Mascherano behind him and they are not Xabi Alonso, Stevie at times had to take the job of putting in that killer ball. Having said that, at times he needed to be drop back and there's a hole between the striker and the centre.

Next, it isn't easy for a human to put on a great performance, week in week out, for 15 years especially once you've hit the late twenties and approaching the early thirties. I know Stevie had his best season in a Red shirt last season and it's pretty a difficult achievement to reach when he isn't getting any younger. As a person gets older, they tend to become less flexible in movements. Stevie is 29, and that's why I don't think he dribbles alot anymore. He used to even burst into the box with pace when he was 18,19,20,21 ... 27.
      I just feel it's unfair to expect a great performance from him every game especially with the fact that he's getting older.

However, I don't think he's past his prime just yet. I believe he can go on for at least another 3 years. We probably just have to be patient and I believe he and the team would start performing once again when Aquilani comes into the side.
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 07, 2009 04:05:15 pm
      I think the criticism that Gerrard has received of late has been totally over the top.  Collectively the team have made a sloppy start to the season but I think Gerrard has been unfairly singled out. I believe the main reason for his and our teams mixed start is simply down to Alonso going to Madrid.
      Look at the amount of assits Alonso produced for Gerrard and Torres last season. They have lost that creativity in midfield. We are having to play a different system now. We can't rely on Gerrard to win every game for us.
      He's been outstanding this last few seasons.

I think to even suggest he's past it is madness.
      I for one still think he is the most complete all round footballer in the world.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #6: Oct 07, 2009 04:34:00 pm
      Firstly, good post there redsonfire.

Personally I think Gerrard has become one of the most influential players in the world. He is what Puyol and Raul are to their respective clubs; a talismatic and enigmatic leader plus a loyal servant to the club. Gerrard I knew has rapidly transformed from a wild tackler into a player full of respect and discipline in his game.

To say that Gerrard has declining in his performance is quite an accusation. Last season we had Alonso covering the midfield area thus we seldom saw Gerrard hovering around trying to pick up passes or initiate them. All he has to do was to provide Torres with equal chance to score or to draw players away from him so that he could score. Gerrard also has been instrumental in every Liverpool attacking flow last season providing Alonso doing all the passings and the commanding in the midfield. With Mascherano along side Alonso, it was fair to say that we had 2 type of players in midfield; one who did all the hard work defending and making sure opponents didn't get the chance to dominate the midfield and other while doing the same thing he also provided the necessary passes and movement for our attackers.

This season with Alonso gone, Lucas has to step in and unfortunately, he's the same player as Mascherano is. Too much defending and don't have the passing flair and great movement. By saying that, instead of helping Torres Gerrard also has to be constantly in the central pitch to pick up passes and initiate move to other players. This for me has restricted his ability to push forward and putting pressure on the opponent. You see, last season, we succeeded most because of Torres-Gerrard partnership but this season we have to break the link just because our midfield couldn't provide the necessary passes and that usual flow needed. If you're saying that Gerrard has lost his mojo because of his dip in form, then you're way off mate. You should take into consideration last season and this season performance and where did he operate last season compared to this season. If you really analyze, you could tell that last season, Gerrard always has been operating up front and rarely hovered in central pitch. This season, it was a different tune. He has and I say HAS to be more central because we got 2 similar midfielder in Masch and Lucas. Being the lesser of them, someone has to provide Lucas with some cover.

That's why Rafa bought Aquilani because he realized that now Alonso's gone, he needed somebody with Alonso's mould that could maintain that typical Liverpool approach and freeing Gerrard into upfront. He knew and always knew how potent Gerrard is when given the ball. And providing him with a player of Aquilani caliber is essential because now the link between Torres and Gerrard now can be re-establish once more. Last season it always Gerrard to Torres to back of the net but now it's Gerrard to someone then Torres. Benayoun could be the answer right now but could he link with Torres? I don't think so. I always imagine Benayoun as the one who can break through tough defense but not who can be Torres main striking partner. So by end of this October we could see Liverpool playing their usual game with Aquilani giving the extra support in midfield while Gerrard continues to wreck havoc alongside Torres.

A fluke against Hull? I think Lampard is the master of flukes. How many of his goal came from deflection?
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #7: Oct 07, 2009 04:48:08 pm
      He is not as influentual to us as he used to be. Thankfully the team isn't as reliable on him as we used to be. We have Torres, benayoun and sometimes even kuyt and Johnson to save us games. Gerrards form has been down, but so has everyone elses. He is the captain though, he has to bear responsibility that if the team is playing bad, they will look to him to produce, and he just has this season. I think rafa's tactics are to blame as well, nobody is getting any service. Its too early to say anything though, we'll wait till aqua gets fit and see how it goes.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 2843 
      Reply #8: Oct 07, 2009 04:52:22 pm
      He needs to improve yes, but at the end of the day the lad's only human.

He's still one of the world's best (if not the best) and even if he isn't performing at 100% he still has an influence on the team. We don't rely on him as much as before but that's not tos ay Gerrard is on the decline but more the fact we've got other players who can step up when it matters the most.

He'll be integral to Liverpool's success in the next four years, for sure.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Oct 07, 2009 05:02:22 pm
      I think he just needs to find his form, as they say form is temporary class is permanent and when you take into consideration Gerrard did not get much of a pre-season behind him and he's playing alongside other players who are struggling for form and he himself has not found his best form as yet, but as the season progress's I'm sure we'll get to see what Steven Gerrard is all about as he never fails to deliver.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #10: Oct 07, 2009 05:27:21 pm
      Ah-em, er, the season is only 8 games in, there are a few players not playing like they were last season, YET.

Ive noticed the team as a whole hasn't hit the heights of last season, YET.

I don't hold with this 'he's not playing well' so we'll drop him, why not look at Gerrard from another angle, he has played so well over the last 10 yrs that when plays like an ordinary guy he becomes just another player, one that most teams would have in their team even playing like an ordinary mortal...
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #11: Oct 07, 2009 05:41:48 pm
      Every one has its ups and downs and so does Gerrard. Just don't make a fuss about it.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #12: Oct 07, 2009 06:37:49 pm
      Hmmm bit harsh on steven this,F**k me how many times has the lad dragged liverpool football club(and i mean the entire club not just the team)up and up literally on his own............i think he,s allowed a few mediocre games now and then ....for gods sake without gerrard there would have been no istanbul 2005 fa cup victory 2006 champs league final 2007......

sorry fella but just think youve got this arse about tit..............
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #13: Oct 07, 2009 07:09:16 pm
      I don't think it would be a bad idea to drop him back into central midfield and run a few games for us from there just perhaps to get him back on the pace and either play dirk, yossi or babel as second striker and see how that pans out.

Stevie is a force to be reckoned with and where better to be the main cog in the machine than in the middle of the park.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #14: Oct 07, 2009 07:16:13 pm
      I have been hesitant to post this over the last couple of days, as a result of being accused of being "A secret Manc".  >:(

But, this is something that has really niggled me over the last few weeks. Steven Gerrard: Last year one of the top 5 players in the world, and imo Liverpool's player of the season. This season however his performances have declined rapidly imo. Yes he has struck 3 goals, but one of those was a penalty and the other an absolute fluke vs Hull. Now, I'm not usually a negative fan, but I am willing to stick my neck out on this occasion and say that Steven Gerrard is really losing his effect on this liverpool side and within the next few months, I think fans and critics alike will be saying Stevie is unfortunately "past it".

I know everybody is now going to start the tonguelashing and accuse me of being a Manc, but I am only venting my frustration at what has really been an abismal start to the season by Stevie G.

Thoughts?

I think it's quite early to be predicting that Stevie's losing his influence on the side, and definitely too early to be saying he's past it. We've had a bit of a bad patch in general, aside from the couple of games where we have scored freely, and I'm confident the team, including Gerrard, will kick it up a gear and have all their critics eating their words. Whether we are still in with a shot in May or not.

It could also be said that instead of Gerrard sticking out so much and dragging us out of the sh*t, we've had other players step up to the plate and grab winners without having that 'Roy of the Rovers' label.

You Manc b*stard. ;)
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #15: Oct 07, 2009 07:19:02 pm
      this is out of hand now.who out of the liverpool team did play well against Chelsea?the team hasn't had a sustained run of form yet this season so....lets blame Gerrard for not scoring and creating all of liverpools goals!!get a life.
      we shouldn't be so dependant on him anyway.we have eleven players out there and its a team game.
      oh and if you really are a manc you should remember yourself booing Ryan giggs at the same point of his career and look at him now,arguably on of uniteds most important players.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #16: Oct 07, 2009 07:50:25 pm
      I think we'll see a return to the Steven Gerrard of old once Aquilani has settled into the side.

Being captain he's naturally shouldered the burden left by the departure of Xabi and is trying his utmost to drag the team forwards and he's struggling immensely, a top 5 in the world midfielder he may be but he's not Superman. I think he's beating himself up under the weight of expectation levelled at this team, we were tipped by almost everybody prior to the season starting to run away with the EPL title.

I have no doubt at all that Aquilani will settle in next to Masch very quickly and once that happens expect to see Steven Gerrard back to his attacking best. Guaranteed.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #17: Oct 07, 2009 08:08:52 pm
      lets blame Gerrard for not scoring and creating all of liverpools goals!!get a life.

well said, but.....who would you all blame if gerrard was injured?? Torres, Carra, Masch???

We are just in a blip at the beginning of this season, just like we were in 84-85, going from top 5 in September to 3rd from bottom by the end of October. Things will defininitly pick up as Agger & Aqua come back from injuries.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Oct 07, 2009 08:50:40 pm
      I've said this in another thread and I will say it again, our midfield has been pretty poor this season, there is not one midfielder that has gave a breath taking performance in any game barring Yossi and we have missed Alonso's range of passing and vision any team in the world would he is without doubt one of the best passers of a football  in the modern game. Now its easy to jump up and be critical of Gerrard and Torres for our performances and not getting us goals, but what you have to bear in mind in the two most pivotal games where we have lost Chelsea and Fiorentina most notably our midfield simply did not create enough chances for us to win the games.

Now people will say we had 3 good chances against Chelsea, I would argue how often do you see a %100 conversion rate in football ?, so therefore we did not create enough chances to win the game, now I'm not saying we were sh*t against Chelsea our midfield did a good job of stopping Chelsea play through them but offered us very little in terms of creativity. In both games against Chelsea and Fiorentina for large periods of the games both Gerrard and Torres were Isolated and were having to come deep to get involved in the game. If our midfield are not performing and creating chances for our front two to put away then they will struggle, any forward in the world would, as a forward is only as good as the service he recieves.

So in conclusion until the likes of Kuyt, Riera, Masch & Lucas get there arses into gear and start offering us some real creativity and industry against the better teams, our forwards are going to struggle to make any real impact in them games and Gerrard and Torres can not be held fully accountable for that as for the games against the lesser clubs where chances are in abundance, barring Villa and Tottenham, they have been banging them away.

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: Oct 07, 2009 10:01:52 pm
      I've said this in another thread and I will say it again, our midfield has been pretty poor this season, there is not one midfielder that has gave a breath taking performance in any game barring Yossi and we have missed Alonso's range of passing and vision any team in the world would he is without doubt one of the best passers of a football  in the modern game. Now its easy to jump up and be critical of Gerrard and Torres for our performances and not getting us goals, but what you have to bear in mind in the two most pivotal games where we have lost Chelsea and Fiorentina most notably our midfield simply did not create enough chances for us to win the games.

Now people will say we had 3 good chances against Chelsea, I would argue how often do you see a %100 conversion rate in football ?, so therefore we did not create enough chances to win the game, now I'm not saying we were sh*t against Chelsea our midfield did a good job of stopping Chelsea play through them but offered us very little in terms of creativity. In both games against Chelsea and Fiorentina for large periods of the games both Gerrard and Torres were Isolated and were having to come deep to get involved in the game. If our midfield are not performing and creating chances for our front two to put away then they will struggle, any forward in the world would, as a forward is only as good as the service he recieves.

So in conclusion until the likes of Kuyt, Riera, Masch & Lucas get there arses into gear and start offering us some real creativity and industry against the better teams, our forwards are going to struggle to make any real impact in them games and Gerrard and Torres can not be held fully accountable for that as for the games against the lesser clubs where chances are in abundance, barring Villa and Tottenham, they have been banging them away.

Spot on for me that mate.

SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #20: Oct 07, 2009 10:32:44 pm

likewise
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Oct 07, 2009 10:47:28 pm
      He may not have had the best start to this season but he's still the most influential player in the team.

Give him a break will you, he'll know himself that he's not playing to the best of his strengths, but mark my words he'll come good.

....and that goal against Hull was absolutely bloody brilliant.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,852 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #22: Oct 07, 2009 10:57:03 pm
      It goes without saying that our midfield ,noticably Stevie G hasn't started well this season ,I also think everyone is entitled to a bad patch sometime in their life/career, Stevie G is the ultimate player and professional and i have no doubts that he will raise his game . Obviously after playing the midfield general with Xabi for a few years he has to change his style to accomodate the present team around him ...he will be back to himself i'm sure
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #23: Oct 08, 2009 11:24:32 am
      I think fans and critics alike will be saying Stevie is unfortunately "past it".

......accuse me of being a Manc, but I am only venting my frustration at what has really been an abismal start to the season by Stevie G.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?.....okay...... I don't think "fans" will be saying Stevie is past it. Well not Liverpool fans anyhow.

Stevie has scored three and 'set-up' another four goals in eight games; to suggest that he has had an "abysmal" (proper spelling btw) start to the season is, quite frankly, the biggest pile of sh*te I've ever read. It actually hurts me to give any sort of credence to the initial post by replying. This will be my last post on the subject.
      JerilKuruvila
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #24: Oct 08, 2009 11:49:14 am
      Stevie G....The Force....
      The Best Midfielder in world.....And Of course the Best Captain :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #25: Oct 08, 2009 01:08:05 pm
      I cannot believe that any Liverpool fan thinks Stevie G is past it,i still believe he is the best midfielder in the world and will prove the doubters wrong.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #26: Oct 08, 2009 01:23:37 pm
      Of course he's still the best midfielder in the world, he's just having a bad patch, even Steven Gerrard goes through bad patches you know.
      Every footballer is always going to have some critics, it's just part and parcel of the job.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #27: Oct 08, 2009 02:12:40 pm
      I just think he needs to run abit more. His defensive efforts have deteriorated and it really kills me when we're losing or struggling, he just expects the ball to come to him.

His attitude has been almost one of, 'I'm too good to do it myself'. It's a very big call and i know he doesn't see himself bigger than the club but he really needs to find some grit. We all know he is a wanted man on the pitch, stop him and our attack does seem to falter but he hasn't done anything about it as yet.

However, it is Steven Gerrard we're talking about. He will definitely come good and TheFella, you'll feel mightily thick for doubting a legend. He isn't Paul Scholes, yet ;)
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #28: Oct 08, 2009 02:19:17 pm
      I just think he needs to run abit more. His defensive efforts have deteriorated and it really kills me when we're losing or struggling, he just expects the ball to come to him.

His attitude has been almost one of, 'I'm too good to do it myself'. It's a very big call and I know he doesn't see himself bigger than the club but he really needs to find some grit. We all know he is a wanted man on the pitch, stop him and our attack does seem to falter but he hasn't done anything about it as yet.

However, it is Steven Gerrard we're talking about. He will definitely come good and TheFella, you'll feel mightily thick for doubting a legend. He isn't Paul Scholes, yet ;)

Not the best English midfielder of his generation you mean? ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #29: Oct 08, 2009 02:22:42 pm

I read 'Not the best English midfielder of his generation' and straight away knew your not talking about Gerrard.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Oct 08, 2009 02:24:31 pm

Have to disagree with that to be honest.

I'm saying this as a fan of football and not a Liverpool fan through red tinted glasses

But Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes in their prime, Steven Gerrard is the winner he has many more attributes to his game than Scholes ever did.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #31: Oct 08, 2009 02:38:17 pm
      Thoughts?.....okay...... I don't think "fans" will be saying Stevie is past it. Well not Liverpool fans anyhow.

Stevie has scored three and 'set-up' another four goals in eight games; to suggest that he has had an "abysmal" (proper spelling btw) start to the season is, quite frankly, the biggest pile of sh*te I've ever read. It actually hurts me to give any sort of credence to the initial post by replying. This will be my last post on the subject.
      The people who give Gerrard stick are all the same cynical,bitter, other club types who if the chance to sign the same player came up they would be cheering him week in week out.Whoever captains LFC will come in for the same kind of jealous critcism and it's almost a habit now but does it bother us? does it sh*te!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #32: Oct 08, 2009 02:47:08 pm
      Steven Gerrard is no doubt one of the best English player in the last decade or so. He's very influential and inspiring as well and I know he will perform but it's just a matter of time.

I've stated in my previous post why I think he hasn't been on top of his game but I don't buy the fact - he's "past it". Saying he's past it is just too harsh from any Liverpool fan especially since what he done for us, his boyhood club.

Like crouchinho stated, I also think Steven Gerrard needs to run abit more. At times he is seen to just wait for the ball to come to him. But believe me, Stevie will hit top gear sooner rather than later.
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #33: Oct 08, 2009 02:52:05 pm
      Have to disagree with that to be honest.

I'm saying this as a fan of football and not a Liverpool fan through red tinted glasses

But Steven Gerrard and Paul Scholes in their prime, Steven Gerrard is the winner he has many more attributes to his game than Scholes ever did.

Only messing, Gerrard just about shades it me thinks.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #34: Oct 08, 2009 02:59:55 pm
      Damn you secret manc b***ard :D

Most definetely not past it though, I have had enough spiel's about this so i aint going into it again. But he will come good, no worries there
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #35: Oct 08, 2009 03:17:45 pm
      Nobody's complaining about Fat Frank. I don't even recall he's being up to scratch this season. Compared to Gerrard I think he's far more crappier this season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #36: Oct 08, 2009 03:19:03 pm
      Lampard hasn't hit the back of the net this season except for a penalty.

I believe Steven Gerrard will get back to his best when Aquilani comes into the side.
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #37: Oct 08, 2009 03:26:33 pm
      I really cant entertain this post.. it is October, early October at that, he hasn't hit second gear yet... the team has started slow, but were still more than in it, patience is a virtue.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #38: Oct 08, 2009 03:28:16 pm
      Fatty definitely has been below Gerrard, major point that. Yet no one has really mentioned that anywhere have they? Gerrard still has a couple fantastic strikes to his credit, and was more seen in the game Sunday than fatty was.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #39: Oct 08, 2009 03:38:42 pm
      Steven Gerrard is, and will be for the next five years, the best all round player in the Premiership. If Aquilani turns out to be the sensation we all expect, then this predicament will become a distant memory. It's not Gerrard's form that's dipping, it's the form of the team that has dipped, football is an eleven man game.

I could go into a five paragraph ramble but i'm fu**ed after my night shift. So i'm going to concentrate it into one sentence.

"You are only as good as the players around you".

And to be totally honest, this season so far, the players have not been up to an acceptable standard.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #40: Oct 08, 2009 03:42:09 pm
      I can tell you names who flunked below Gerrard. Remember Nani on how he's going to be the next Ronaldo after that ladyboy left? Well, I don't see him. Ashley Young for Villa, Tim Cahill and that Afro guy for bitters, Ireland for Man City. Didn't see them performing that good either. At least Gerrard scored 3 goals and like I said before he has to carry both midfield and attacking duties at the same time. Why all of the sudden complaining about his form? Well Capello for starters never left him out of England. It's like Gerrard is Mr. England right now. Tell me, can you see Frankie 200 pounds playing other than central midfield area?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #41: Oct 08, 2009 03:50:24 pm
      I would only be worried if the whole team is performing well except for Gerrard.
      However, this isn't the case. Everyone is not performing at their best yet. Stevie is just another player having a bad patch. Form is temporary and class is permament, he'll be back when the team gets settled down.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #42: Oct 08, 2009 04:01:27 pm
      You shouldn't expect Gerrard to be on top of his form everytime he plays. Ask any other great players like Zidane or Maradonna, they too had their bad days. I don't see any decrease in performance. All I can see was a player, a captain and a team player who working his sock off to cover and to make things happens.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #43: Oct 08, 2009 04:07:07 pm
      Anyone who thinks Steven Gerrard is past it at the age of 29 seriously needs their head examined.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Ā© Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #44: Oct 08, 2009 04:08:19 pm
      Anyone who thinks Steven Gerrard is past it at the age of 29 seriously needs their head examined. is a Manc.

Tidied that up a little bit.

;)
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #45: Oct 08, 2009 04:13:14 pm

Ha ha spot on! :D
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #46: Oct 08, 2009 04:17:46 pm
      It's been considered by a lot of neutral fans, But I do think a large number of Liverpool fans in general are biased towards their players and are perhaps blinded by nostalgia or love for a player.
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #47: Oct 08, 2009 04:21:27 pm
      It's been considered by a lot of neutral fans, But I do think a large number of Liverpool fans in general are biased towards their players and are perhaps blinded by nostalgia or love for a player.

I genuinely don't know anyone, even a manc, that would consider him past it. Frankly I think that argument is insane.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #48: Oct 08, 2009 04:24:34 pm
      I do think a large number of Liverpool fans in general are biased towards their players

Well, this is a Liverpool forum and we are Liverpool fans?

Then which Man United player would you consider as being 'past their prime'?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #49: Oct 08, 2009 04:29:28 pm

I have to say this mate, the only thing that has blinded me with regards to Gerrard, is his brilliance. That's not biased by the way, that's just fact. Ask any fan of any team in the world if they'd love to have Gerrard in their team, and they'd all say yes, that's excluding the jealous fuckers who'd say no, just because they know he'd never leave this club, ever.

Where's bigger than Liverpool? Nowhere. And that's a fact too.  ;D
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #50: Oct 08, 2009 04:32:01 pm
      Well, this is a Liverpool forum and we are Liverpool fans?

Then which Man United player would you consider as being 'past their prime'?

Gary Neville
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #51: Oct 08, 2009 04:36:46 pm
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #52: Oct 08, 2009 04:41:54 pm
      Ask any fan of any team in the world if they'd love to have Gerrard in their team, and they'd all say yes

I'm sure most if not all manager want him in their team too. What I'm trying to say is, Steven Gerrard is probably one of the best players in the world in this last decade and even if I wasn't a Liverpool fan, I'd say the same.
      TheFella
      • Forum Gary McAllister
      • Started Topic

• 90 posts | -2 
      Reply #53: Oct 08, 2009 04:53:44 pm

You don't really have a clue. Scholes has been great this season. The only bad game he has had this season was against Sunderland, where he was sh*t. Do yourself a favour and don't comment on things you don't have the slightest clue of.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #54: Oct 08, 2009 04:56:59 pm
      This is old news but I think at least people could see the greatness in Steven Gerrard. I only take the part of Gerrard.
      How similar are Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard?
      Itā€™s hard not to be impressed by Steven Gerrard. He gives his 110% on the pitch every game, no matter what the occasion and quite remarkably, has trascended to a level of playing where he just bangs out games at high consistency, without any hint of a drop in form.

He is the Liverpool captain, a Scouser by heart and soul and a product of the Liverpool academy. Despite the chances and temptations of greener pastures in London, Gerrard has stuck to his roots (for whatever reasons) and since winning the Champions League has refused to look back at what he left behind.

He has critics - heā€™s not so great as to avoid any criticism - but no one can deny the drive and quality he brings to the game. There are always questions about his ability to change the game or have any meaningful impact, whether he can show up in the big gamesā€¦these questions are always answered with a match-turning goal or a superhuman performance, and the critics are silenced once again.

Under Rafael Benitez Gerrard has been pushed out to the right wing, from where he doesnā€™t do as much damage as before, but donā€™t let that fool you - he is the one Liverpool player ANY club in the world would snap up in a heartbeat - and that is praise enough for one of the top midfielders in the world.

Gerrard is tactically astute, can cross and play on the wings, can trackback, defend and tackles well, has a vicious shot and quality finishing to go with it, can play the Hollywood passes as well as the simple ones and is, perhaps, one of the most complete players in the business.
      http://soccerlens.com/wayne-rooney-vs-steven-gerrard/1555/
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: Oct 08, 2009 05:00:22 pm
      You don't really have a clue. Scholes has been great this season. The only bad game he has had this season was against Sunderland, where he was sh*t. Do yourself a favour and don't comment on things you don't have the slightest clue of.

Look Scholes obviously ain't the player he was a few years ago. Your saying I don't have a clue! I'm not the one who started a thread saying Steven Gerrard is past it!
      Do yourself a favour and don't start threads on things you don't have the slightest clue of.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #56: Oct 08, 2009 05:25:11 pm

Apologies that he isn't a Manc, too.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #57: Oct 09, 2009 02:14:27 am
      stats over a season really are hard evidence if a player is is starting to slow up.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #58: Oct 09, 2009 04:45:26 am
      Good post mate, but I just think he's struggling for form at the minute and tbh he has never had as bad a start to a season before. As regards the 8-9/10 rating per match. Well, that has declined rapidly now imo. The chelsea game for instance, I would give him a 6, same with the Villa and Fiorentina games......

He also is playing out of position compared to the position he excelled in last year, behind Torres.
      walkergirl
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #59: Oct 09, 2009 12:48:02 pm
      Show us you haven't forgotten which is your place in the team, do so!!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #60: Oct 09, 2009 04:29:15 pm
      What about Steven Gerrard Effect? If I put my foot up your a**e that should leave an effect. I'm with Zidane and if he said Gerrard is the best, he is the BEST!
      Zidane hails Gerrard as best in the world
      ā€¢ French master compares Liverpool captain to Makelele
      ā€¢ 'He gives the players around him belief. You can't learn that'
      Zinedine Zidane believes Liverpool's Steven Gerrard is currently the best player in the world, eclipsing Lionel Messi of Barcelona and Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo. The former France and Real Madrid midfielder saw Gerrard score twice against his old club in the Champions League during the week and said teams need players like Gerrard to be the "engine room" for the flair players to thrive, comparing the Liverpool captain to his former team-mate Claude Makelele.

"Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of [Lionel] Messi and Ronaldo but, yes, I think he just might be," Zidane said. "If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team.

"When we were winning league titles and European Cups at Real, I always said Claude Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself, [Luis] Figo or RaĆŗl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard.

"He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that ā€“ players like him are just born with that presence.
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/13/zinedine-zidane-steven-gerrard-liverpool
      See the bold line?

Quick Reply