Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid)

Read 55700 times
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Re: Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid)
      Reply #368: Jul 03, 2007 07:32:41 pm
      In spain his nickname is "el niño"(the child)
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #369: Jul 03, 2007 07:39:25 pm
      In spain his nickname is "el niño"(the child)

Forgive me, my Spanish is a little rusty, but would I be right in saying that's pronounced el nee-nio?

If it is I feel a song coming on:

'F**k off Mourinho, we've got el niño'
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #370: Jul 03, 2007 09:05:54 pm
      Link - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156273070703-1828.htm

Liverpool Football Club has announced Spanish striker Fernando Torres has passed a medical ahead of his proposed move from Atletico Madrid. 
      The 23-year-old is now expected to officially complete his transfer to Anfield on Wednesday before being unveiled to the media.

A club spokesman said: "The player has passed a medical. All the agreements are now in place and he will put pen to paper on the deal on Wednesday."

The striker has spent the previous 12 years at Atletico Madrid, the club he supported as a boy. The Spanish giants snapped him up at the age of 11 after he netted 55 goals in his first season at amateur side Rayo 13.

Three years after his arrival, Torres was named the best under-14 player in Europe following his performances in the Nike Cup. He signed his first professional contract in 1999 but had to wait until May 27, 2001 to make his debut against Leganes.

Still, at 17 years and 68 days, he was Atletico's youngest ever player. Within a week, he'd scored his first goal in a match against Albacete.

The 2001-02 season saw him net six times in 36 league appearances, helping his side win promotion to La Liga.

Meanwhile, he was still making waves on the international scene.

Torres was top scorer and player of the tournament in the 2001 European Under-16 Championships and 2002 European Under-19 Championships, both of which Spain won.

The frontman bagged 13 goals during his first season in the Spanish top flight, earning him a first under-21 cap for his country.

The 2003-04 campaign proved to be a momentous one for Torres. Not only did he score 19 goals in 35 league appearances, but he was also handed the club captaincy. At 19, he was the youngest skipper in Atletico's long and illustrious history.

On top of all this, the youngster was also called up into the senior Spain squad, making his full debut in a friendly with Portugal on September 6, 2003. The following April he scored his first international goal against Italy. He was then part of the Spain squad which traveled to Euro 2004 in Holland and Belgium.

Torres got his first and only taste of European competition when Atletico entered the Intertoto Cup prior to the 2004-05 campaign. He scored twice in five games but tasted defeat in the final at the hands of Villarreal.

The player nicknamed El Nino (The Kid) because of his youthful appearance was selected for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, where he scored three goals.

The following year, in May 2007, Torres hit the headlines when he revealed the words 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on the inside of his captain's armband during a match between Atletico and Real Sociedad.

If he completes his move to Anfield as expected on Wednesday, he'll leave Atletico with a record of 82 goals in 214 league appearances. 

And a little more about Torres

The Early Years

Born in the Fuenlabrada neighbourhood of Madrid, traditionally Real Madrid territory, Fernando grew up in the red and white of AtlĂ©tico. From the age of six football became really important to the young Fernando thanks to a TV programme called ‘Oliver and Benji’.

It was a cartoon series in which a group of boys start playing football for fun, and end up as professionals. After the show Fernando and his elder brother would go out and play football. He liked to imagine himself as a professional footballer like the kids in the series.

He played in goal until one day he got a couple of teeth knocked out by the ball and decided that his career between the sticks was finished.

By the age of nine he was hooked as an Atlético fan after being taken on a trip to the trophy room at the Vicente Calderón stadium by his grandfather.

Later on, as a tall, thin, 11-year-old, he went for a trial at AtlĂ©tico Madrid. “He showed intelligence, explosive pace and bravery. He did not think football like a child would,” said Manolo Rangel, the coach who became his mentor.

“Training was a game, and the matches were fun, that was the part of my life when I most enjoyed playing football” explained Torres.

He rose through the various youth levels, and in 2001 played for Spain at the under-16 European Championships in England.  He finished the tournament as top scorer and was voted player of the tournament.  At the time, Newcastle United manager Sir Bobby Robson was apparently informed of Torres' talent by a scout.  Robson, however, decided against a move for the Spaniard. Torres quickly proceeded to represent the AtlĂ©tico youth team and was then called up to the first team.

Rise To Fame

He made his first team debut on May 27th 2001 at El CalderĂłn against Leganes, becoming the youngest player ever to have played for the club.  He scored his first goal the following week against Albacete.  The season however was to end on a sour note, as AtlĂ©tico missed out on promotion to the Primera Liga on goal difference.  They were promoted the following season.

The 2002-2003 season saw AtlĂ©tico back in the top division and Fernando made the step up effortlessly.  His first season in the top-flight saw him score 13 goals.  He put in particularly impressive performances against Deportivo La Coruna and Barcelona to make people sit up and take notice of him.  In his second season in the Primera Liga he scored 19 goals and has been AtlĂ©tico Madrid’s top scorer in every season since.

Such was the reputation he built up, that other clubs started to show an interest in the youngster.  Torres has admitted that he turned down the chance to join Chelsea after the end of the 2005-06 season of La Liga.

National Team

In November 2001, Torres played in the Under-17 World Cup in Trinidad and Tobago. In July 2002, he played in the Under-19 European Championships in Norway, a tournament Spain won. Torres was both top scorer and Player of the Tournament. He made his debut for the Under-21 national team in 2003. On September 6, 2003, Torres progressed to make his debut for the senior national team against Portugal. His first goal for Spain came against Italy on April 28, 2004.

He played for Spain at the Euro 2004 Championships, which saw Spain eliminated in the group stages by Portugal and eventual winners Greece.

At his first ever appearance in a World Cup finals at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, Torres scored the final goal in a 4-0 victory over Ukraine with a volley. In the second group match, Torres scored twice against Tunisia, in the 76th minute for Spain to take a 2-1 lead, and then again from a penalty kick in the 90th minute, to complete Spain’s comeback from 1-0 down to 3-1 winners. 

In Spain's third group match against Saudi Arabia, he came on as a substitute for JosĂ© Antonio Reyes in the 70th minute. Torres became the first player in the tournament to score three goals.  Torres started the round of 16 match against France, but after initially taking the lead, Spain went on to lose 3-1 and were knocked out of the tournament.

The Spanish national team coach, Luis Aragonés, commented that Torres "never scores two goals the same," referring to his versatility and remarkable keenness on the pitch.

Torres was dropped from the team for a friendly versus Romania in November 2006, but returned to the national side for the friendly against England in February 2007, a 1-0 win for Spain.

Technical Skills

Torres is a quick, skilful, powerful centre forward, who is unlike most Spanish strikers.  He is often compared to Nicolas Anelka and Thierry Henry. Above all he is a goal scorer.  He can lead the attack on his own, but is also adept at working with a partner.  He is good in the air and scores goals from many areas.

However, Luis AragonĂ©s, the Spain head coach, said recently that Torres “still has a poor first touch and doesn’t finish well.” Despite fitting the profile other major clubs are looking for, he has often been second on many lists of potential targets for major European clubs.

But Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has been determined I his pursuit of the player this summer.

Did You Know?

Torres is nicknamed ‘El Niño’ (The Kid) because of his youthful face.
      He is the youngest player to have captained Atlético Madrid (aged 19).

Particulars

Name:  Fernando JosĂ© Torres Sanz
      Date of birth:   20th March 1984 (Madrid)
      Nationality: Spanish
      Height:  1.86m
      Weight:  78kg
      Position:  Striker

Season-by-Season Club Career: League Appearances (& Goals)

2002-2003              AtlĂ©tico Madrid               29   (13)
      2003-2004              AtlĂ©tico Madrid               35   (19)
      2004-2005              AtlĂ©tico Madrid               38   (16) 
      2005-2006              AtlĂ©tico Madrid               36   (13)
      2006-2007              AtlĂ©tico Madrid               35   (14)
      badgirl
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #371: Jul 03, 2007 09:06:19 pm
      torres is the best player!ÂĄ! and atletico de madrid his team for ever. fernando will be atletico forever despite he play in liverpool

torres eres lo mejor!!ÂĄÂĄ
      ojala vuelvas pronto al atleti
      THE MESSIAH
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 471 posts | 20 
      • "and on the seventh day.....there shall be Kenny"
      Reply #372: Jul 03, 2007 09:07:45 pm
      I'm really not knocking this transfer, I like most of you was getting really frustrated when there was no news of impending signings, but I must admit that now the deed has almost been done. I am growing increasingly nervous about are new aquasition. Its just that La LIga is so different from the Premiership. Getting the sh*t kicked out of you by the likes of Bolton or Sunderland, on a bitterly cold Boxing Day takes some getting used to. Please be to God that I will look back on my trepidation come next May, and laugh at my childish nervousness.

Viva Torres ;)
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #373: Jul 03, 2007 09:10:30 pm
      I'm really not knocking this transfer, I like most of you was getting really frustrated when there was no news of impending signings, but I must admit that now the deed has almost been done. I am growing increasingly nervous about are new aquasition. Its just that La LIga is so different from the Premiership. Getting the sh*t kicked out of you by the likes of Bolton or Sunderland, on a bitterly cold Boxing Day takes some getting used to. Please be to God that I will look back on my trepidation come next May, and laugh at my childish nervousness.

Viva Torres ;)

I understand your fears of Torres playing Bolton etc, but please remember we have Crouch, Kuyt and Voronin.
      Rafa will pick his best options in each fixture.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #374: Jul 03, 2007 09:57:27 pm
      Forgive me, my Spanish is a little rusty, but would I be right in saying that's pronounced el nee-nio?

'fu*k off Mourinho, we've got el niño'

;D you've always been a legend Eddie!

I logged on just to tell you that :)
      LFC FOR ME
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #375: Jul 03, 2007 10:02:14 pm
      I like the fact weve finally signed but torres but on sky sports you can see the OPTA statistics on torres against Kuyt, Crouch, Bellamy and Fowler and hes got worse record for goals per games played ratio last season than any of them.  thats a slight worry. although he probably played more than fowler and bellamy.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #376: Jul 03, 2007 10:25:58 pm

'fu*k off Mourinho, we've got el niño'
      yes, inn english pronounced el nee-nio.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #377: Jul 03, 2007 10:52:20 pm
      all i have to say is that he has great ability maybe not as many goals as he should get but i think at liverpool he will become a better player at atletico he had a different coach nearly every season and a different strike partner when he wasn't playing alone.
      i wish him all the best a will back him 100% and not be quick to make a negative judgment.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #378: Jul 04, 2007 12:25:06 am
      badgirl eres española?
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #379: Jul 04, 2007 07:52:30 am
      YAY!! ;D

I am so happy! The deal is basically done, I think he's putting pen to paper today! Last night my bf was in work (in Asda) and on his break he was telling me what they were saying on SSN (cos shitfaces Virgin took it away  >:() and he was like "Torres should be signed by the morning" but I had to come on my laptop onto Sky Sports website as soon as I woke up just to check!! ÂŁ26.5m (??) is a lot of money though  :o I hope he gives us his money's worth hehe.

I think this means Bellers out.. And on that note I'm quite disappointed we only got ÂŁ4m for Garcia, I know he's been injured, but I thought we would've got a bit more.. oh well!
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2007 07:54:33 am by Nicola, Reason: Realised \'YAY\' was a stupid post! »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,821 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #380: Jul 04, 2007 07:52:45 am
      I like the fact weve finally signed but torres but on sky sports you can see the OPTA statistics on torres against Kuyt, Crouch, Bellamy and Fowler and hes got worse record for goals per games played ratio last season than any of them.  thats a slight worry. although he probably played more than fowler and bellamy.

Personally, I can't wait to see him in a Red Shirt, cracking the back of the net but I saw this article and I thought I'd throw it in the mix as I can now see where Eddie C is coming from ;).

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=475036&lid=1490&clid=14&channel=&title=Torres+aims+to+fire+for+Reds

Torres aims to fire for Reds 

With Fernando Torres moving to Anfield, Liverpool’s Spanish revolution is set to gain momentum. However, the gifted international will be under pressure to provide a genuine cutting edge to the Reds’ play, something that has been missing since the departure of Michael Owen.

Last season, Torres netted 14 times in La Liga for Atletico Madrid at a rate of one every 221.2 minutes on average. That 14 goal haul is superior to any of Liverpool’s current forward line last season, however, in terms of minutes per goal, Peter Crouch, Dirk Kuyt and Robbie Fowler (albeit with just three goals) all bettered Torres’ rate last season in the Premiership.

In terms of chance conversion, Crouch, Kuyt and Fowler again posted superior figures to those of the Spanish superstar. While both Crouch and Craig Bellamy were more accurate in front of goal than Torres, who hit the target with 50.6% of his attempts last season.

Player                       Torres   Bellamy     Crouch    Fowler     Kuyt
      Team                       AtlĂ©tico Liverpool   Liverpool  Liverpool  Liverpool
      Appearances             36        27            32          16           34
      Minutes On Pitch       3,097   1,920       1,513      601          2,579
      Goal Attempts 

Goals                       14        7               9             3           12
      Shots On Target       45       27             35             9          33
      Shots Off Target       44       20             21            9           43
      Shooting Accuracy  50.6%  57.4%       62.5%       50.0%    43.4%
      Chance Conversion  15.7%  14.9%       16.1%      16.7%     15.8%
      Mins Per Goal         221.2    274.3        168.1        200.3     214.9
      Passing 

Goal Assists                5            2             6               2          4

Discipline           
      Yellow Cards              4            2             2               1          0
      Red Cards                 1             0             0               0          0

However, despite his somewhat unfavourable comparison with the current pool of Anfield strikers last season, Torres will move to Merseyside confident that his goals can lead Liverpool to a long-awaited Premiership title.

I really hope he fires for us....despite what the above article says, I hope he scores 20 plus and really shows how much this club means to him and in the end all the money we splashed out on him, is really worth it.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2007 09:26:18 am by AussieRed »
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #381: Jul 04, 2007 09:08:29 am
      I'm in two minds about this transfer. I'm excited because of his reputation of being truly world class and the fact not only have we finally signed someone in this transfer window, it appears to be rafas first choice. also on the few occasions i've seen him play, he has looked a threat.

however his goal ratio is not impressive, people will say hes coming to a better team so should score more goals here, this does stand to reason and i hope its true, yet normally spanish strikers score less goals in prem than in la liga so when you weigh up the two, he should have a similar record here as at athletico.

i will give my full support to torres and hope he proves my doubts wrong
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #382: Jul 04, 2007 09:18:50 am
      I'm in two minds about this transfer. I'm excited because of his reputation of being truly world class and the fact not only have we finally signed someone in this transfer window, it appears to be rafas first choice. also on the few occasions I've seen him play, he has looked a threat.

however his goal ratio is not impressive, people will say hes coming to a better team so should score more goals here, this does stand to reason and I hope its true, yet normally spanish strikers score less goals in prem than in la liga so when you weigh up the two, he should have a similar record here as at athletico.

I will give my full support to torres and hope he proves my doubts wrong

I can't think of loads of Spanish strikers that have played in the Prem to prove this point. Only ones that spring to mind are Morientes, Reyes, who only played upfront occasionally, and Kepa Blanco at West Ham.
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #383: Jul 04, 2007 09:50:44 am
      hasn't anyone noticed that when the scum were after torres he was this almighty figure in European football now that we've signed him people are making judgment about his quality and price tag. i haven't heard anyone in the media slating Nani although I've watched him on numerous occasions and have not been impressed i hope that torres proves all the doubters wrong.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #384: Jul 04, 2007 10:02:48 am
      hasn't anyone noticed that when the scum were after torres he was this almighty figure in European football now that we've signed him people are making judgment about his quality and price tag. I haven't heard anyone in the media slating Nani although I've watched him on numerous occasions and have not been impressed I hope that torres proves all the doubters wrong.
      So do I, I hope he proves ME wrong for the sake of the club I really really really do.
      Well the deal is done Im not going to say anything else about this subject. I still have my doubts but now Torres is here I will support him with all my heart. EddieC I will be in the kop against Chelsea we can sing that song together mate see you there..
      Im going round all day now singing that in my head ;D..

F**k off moriniho we go el ninio lmao classic
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #385: Jul 04, 2007 10:08:22 am
      Just heard on the radio there will be a news conference a 3pm today.
      lobolopezglg
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      • Torres, atlĂ©tico forever!!
      Reply #386: Jul 04, 2007 10:48:20 am
      torres is the best player!ÂĄ! and atletico de madrid his team for ever. fernando will be atletico forever despite he play in liverpool

torres eres lo mejor!!ÂĄÂĄ
      ojala vuelvas pronto al atleti

Totalmente de acuerdo contigo Badgirl. Gracias Torres, muchas gracias.  :'( Vuelve pronto... y mientras, gana Copas de Europa con el Liverpool para quitarle tĂ­tulos al Real Madrid.

Felicidades Reds!!

Totally agree with you Badgirl. Thanks Torres, thanks a lot. Return soon
 and while, you must win European Cups with the Reds to clear titles to Real Madrid  >:D

Congratulations Reds!  ;)
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #387: Jul 04, 2007 10:53:21 am
      Well looks like the speculation was right, he's gonna wear no.9

From liverpoolfc.tv

Fernando Torres has spoken of his pride after being told he will be handed the number nine shirt vacated by Robbie Fowler when he completes his move from Atletico Madrid later today. 
      Torres, who will put pen to paper on the deal this afternoon, claimed it would be an honour to wear the number once owned by Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush.

"The fact that Liverpool are giving me the number nine jersey just goes to show the confidence they have placed in me, when considering those who have worn that shirt before me," he said.

The 23-year-old admitted he was sad to be leaving the club he supported as a boy but revealed it was an opportunity too good to turn down.

"Liverpool is one of the best, if not the best, clubs in Europe," he added.

Torres was back in his homeland saying goodbye to fans this morning and is due to fly into Liverpool later today to complete the deal. He'll then he unveiled to the media.

Stay logged on to Liverpoolfc.tv for the first interview this afternoon.

LINK
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #388: Jul 04, 2007 10:55:06 am
      23 year old?! I thought he was 19?!?! ???

Sky Sports story about the press conference if you want it: http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=475093&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Liverpool+to+unveil+Torres

Is the press conference on Sky Sports? I will be down my bfs at 3pm!! :P
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #389: Jul 04, 2007 11:03:09 am
      Surely we can move this to The Kop now!

Deal done ;)
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2007 11:10:23 am by EddieC, Reason: Changed to lower case. »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #390: Jul 04, 2007 11:19:36 am
      Surely we can move this to The Kop now!

Deal done ;)

This thread's about his transfer, so it belongs here, but will probably get locked this afternoon after the press conference.

Quick Reply