Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Help needed for publishing an on or off line brochure

Read 2845 times
      LFCexiled
      Help needed for publishing an on or off line brochure
      Jun 12, 2012 12:37:55 am
      Any of you techy types know how I can create a brochure from 100 odd pages to put into an email? I can create a PDF but it's 22mb and I need to make it small enough and in the easiest accessible format possible, some people don't have a PDF reader installed and I can't think what the best format would be to get to the most people without issue.

I can't really attach several different formats and I've looked into online brochure hosting but they all seem to charge and I can't afford that.

Banging my head now so any help would be appreciated, thanks.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Help needed for publishing an on or off line brochure
      Reply #1: Jun 12, 2012 10:32:36 am
      Unless someone can suggest an alternative, I would say that pdf is actually the best format to go for. It's not only widespread but if the recipient hasn't got a reader, they can download one quickly and easily for free. I get a lot of mail from both within this company and outside and the attachements tend to be in pdf format.

Perhaps your email could contain a link to the Acrobat download page?
      « Last Edit: Jun 12, 2012 11:09:15 am by Reprobate »
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2: Jun 12, 2012 11:05:48 am
      Unless someone can suggest an alternative, I would say that pdf is actually the best format to go for. It's not only widespread but if you recipient hasn't got a reader, they can download one quickly and easily for free. I get a lot of mail from both within this company and outside and the attachements tend to be in pdf format.

Perhaps your email could contain a link to the Acrobat download page?

Cheers Rep. That's where I am today, I was up till half 3 this morning downloading programs, installing .nets, flash variants and all sorts trying to find the best way.

The result is I'm going to attach the 22mb pdf and as you say and link to pdf reader for those who aren't up to date, the problem with that is people will just say they can't be arsed messing around but my other solution is Googles Picasa which allows you to upload 1GB of photos into an album and when the user clicks the link they click the first photo then F11 and it goes full page and they can view it one page at a time.

Hopefully someone will find this of some help even if it's just sharing photo's online for far away family and friends, your album can be made private to owners of the link so it's safe also.

Thanks again mate. ;)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #3: Jun 12, 2012 11:08:49 am
      my other solution is Googles Picasa which allows you to upload 1GB of photos into an album and when the user clicks the link they click the first photo then F11 and it goes full page and they can view it one page at a time.

Hopefully someone will find this of some help even if it's just sharing photo's online for far away family and friends, your album can be made private to owners of the link so it's safe also.

Good tip, cheers. I'd heard the name but never looked at it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,634 posts | 3861 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Jun 12, 2012 11:13:02 am
      If you are using Google Picasa then you can have all the pictures you want in one folder and then just create a collage.
      Normally I create a word document for mine with photos and text and then convert to pdf because:
      1) The file is smaller
      2) It's stops someone editing it
      LFCexiled
      Reply #5: Jun 12, 2012 01:34:36 pm
      If you are using Google Picasa then you can have all the pictures you want in one folder and then just create a collage.
      Normally I create a word document for mine with photos and text and then convert to pdf because:
      1) The file is smaller
      2) It's stops someone editing it

I can't really collage the photo's as they have information on that the viewer needs to see in detail to order items so they need to be in a full page slide show kinda thing, picasa does it and they only need to click a couple of buttons. If they can't click a couple of buttons or open a PDF then they'll probably be too stupid to pay for the items ordered so F**k em.

Customer service is also something we strive for. ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,634 posts | 3861 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Jun 12, 2012 01:44:52 pm
      I can't really collage the photo's as they have information on that the viewer needs to see in detail to order items so they need to be in a full page slide show kinda thing, picasa does it and they only need to click a couple of buttons. If they can't click a couple of buttons or open a PDF then they'll probably be too stupid to pay for the items ordered so F**k em.

Customer service is also something we strive for. ;D

Make sure your images are jpg and not bmp and then create what you want in Word and convert it to pdf.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7: Jun 12, 2012 02:01:12 pm
      Make sure your images are jpg and not bmp and then create what you want in Word and convert it to pdf.

I've already done it, I got a great little program that's free called 'light image resizer' which I originally had to reduce photo's so as I could email them to family in 1024x768 size so they could still print them out but it also takes your photo's and turns them into a PDF with one click, you can also reduce the size of the output PDF, mine was originally 55MB and without a discernable reduction in image quality I got it down to 22mb.

In best Bo' Selecta voice "check it ouuut".

Proper Bo, I tells thee.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/VSO-Image-Resizer.shtml
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,634 posts | 3861 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Jun 12, 2012 02:15:16 pm
      I've already done it, I got a great little program that's free called 'light image resizer' which I originally had to reduce photo's so as I could email them to family in 1024x768 size so they could still print them out but it also takes your photo's and turns them into a PDF with one click, you can also reduce the size of the output PDF, mine was originally 55MB and without a discernable reduction in image quality I got it down to 22mb.

In best Bo' Selecta voice "check it ouuut".

Proper Bo, I tells thee.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/VSO-Image-Resizer.shtml

Very nice.
      I'm going to stick with Primo purely because I have a good system going now.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #9: Jun 12, 2012 02:45:57 pm
      Try this mate http://www.cvisiontech.com/pdf/pdf-compression/how-do-i-save-a-pdf-in-a-smaller-format.html?lang=eng

Just click on the "try online" button to see what difference it makes.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #10: Jun 12, 2012 04:53:25 pm

Cheers S@int, tried a few times but the upload just keeps failing, eventually got to 1 second remaining and it just loops in an error.

Quick Reply