Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Playstation Network

Read 30499 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Playstation Network
      Reply #46: Apr 27, 2011 04:53:34 pm
      Quite disappointed to be honest but I, too, still love my PS3.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #47: Apr 28, 2011 06:10:52 am
      From what I've read, Sony may compensate for this downtime through a massive update which will include cross-game chat. Don't quote me on it though...
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #48: Apr 28, 2011 06:41:19 am
      From what I've read, Sony may compensate for this downtime through a massive update which will include cross-game chat. Don't quote me on it though...

Sorry. Just did ;)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #49: Apr 28, 2011 07:22:36 am
      I got an email from Sony this morning regarding the security compromise.

Absolutely ridicolous in my eyes that a company of Sony's size and reputation is faced with security issues on a global scale.

Lucky i never used my credit card for anything but I did use my full name address and contact details.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #50: Apr 28, 2011 12:42:21 pm
      Anybody know when it'll be back up?
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #51: Apr 28, 2011 01:13:30 pm
      You should all change your passwords asap. Also, if you use the same password for the e-mail used for PSN, change that too. And even then, watch out. They don't need your creditcard info to make money off of you.

That said, I think this was more a retalliation than someone trying to make money. You might all have heard about Geohot,  who supposedly is one of the PS3 hackers. Recently a U.S. court allowed Sony to obtain all IP adresses of users who visited Geohot's site since january 2009. However, Youtube, Google, and Twitter are also fully cooperating. So they're also after all indivduals who are in any way connected with the hack. They're going to know whoever watched videos about the hack, commented about the hack, blogged about the hack, tweeted about the hack etc. Think everybody knows that the hacker communtiy generally isn't happy about breaches of privacy, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Sony a taste of their own medicine. That's the rumour anyway.
      « Last Edit: Apr 28, 2011 01:21:18 pm by Dexter »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #52: Apr 28, 2011 01:18:55 pm
      My password is different to everything else I've signed up for, thankfully, as a result of the good old mutual 'lend me your account and give us the games you've purchased' activity that goes with PS3 ownership. 

I'm offline in the house for now anyway but my debit card details floating about may be a problem.

It's ridiculous what they've done, but does the inner-geek in anyone else desperately want to know how they managed to bring Sony to it's knees?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #53: Apr 28, 2011 01:20:06 pm
      Had to laugh at this article some tit wrote for Xbox360 Magazine :

'Sony finished by 2012?'
      http://www.360magazine.co.uk/comment/sony-finished-by-2012/

I think the comments following the article pretty much sum it up. What a pr**k, ;D
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #54: Apr 28, 2011 01:32:38 pm
      Going to be another 6 days 'at least' before the network is back up :-(
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #55: Apr 28, 2011 01:35:14 pm
      This is a massive blow though. This will damage their image, PSN had a hard time competing with Xbox Live to begin with. With that many members and with such discrete information PSN should be better protected than any bank out there. But I don't think on it's own this will have alot of consequences, if it happens again though...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #56: Apr 28, 2011 05:37:27 pm
      Wow i like the fact i paid a load of money for a PS3 that i can't even use properly! Pricks, get it fixed and tighten up the security on your damn network!!
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #57: Apr 28, 2011 07:47:46 pm
      Must've invested at least £2,500 in PS3 merchandise since March 2007. Deserve better than this.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #58: Apr 28, 2011 07:57:27 pm
      First PSN is sh*t, and now it's been hacked and our info is out there for whoever did this to see?

Well in Sony. Bill Gates is laughing his nerdy dick off right now. More moolah for him.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,640 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #59: Apr 28, 2011 08:03:04 pm
      Having not yet played my new console due to the update I can't download I'm seriously considering bringing it back for an X Box
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #60: Apr 28, 2011 08:53:00 pm
      Got told today, it's a 19yr old kid,
      He apparently made a hacker for COD, so SONY did something to him, can't remember, think it was sued or cancelled his account or whatever
      So he's just like, F**k you then, and hacked their server into meltdown

Kinda worried though, my card details were saved on there except for the security number
      BUT I can remember me un-saving them at some point but i'm unsure if I actually did or not :P
      AND i've tried to log onto HSBC online banking, and it won't let me to 'protect my security'
      So I can't even check my statement, might have to go to a HSBC cash machine
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #61: May 01, 2011 10:29:21 pm
      Some PlayStation Network And Qriocity Services To Be Available This Week

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

This morning, a press conference took place in Tokyo, Japan and the following press release is now being distributed worldwide.

We would also like to once again thank you for your patience.

SOME PLAYSTATION NETWORK AND QRIOCITY SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK

Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally; System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information.

Tokyo, May 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company’s data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system. Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

• Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
          • This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
          • Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
          • Access to account management and password reset
          • Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
          • PlayStation®Home
          • Friends List
          • Chat Functionality

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
          • Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
          • Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
          • Implementation of additional firewalls

The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months. In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

The company is conducting a thorough and on-going investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.

“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services.”

Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program

While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
          • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
          • Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.

For more information about the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services intrusion and restoration, please visit http://blog.us.playstation.com or http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

About Sony Corporation

Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $78 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2010. Sony Global Web Site: http://www.sony.net/

About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes and markets the PlayStation® game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system and the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) system. PlayStation has revolutionized home entertainment by introducing advanced 3D graphic processing, and PlayStation 2 further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3 is an advanced computer system, incorporating the state-of-the-art Cell processor with super computer like power. SCEI, along with its subsidiary divisions Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and Sony Computer Entertainment Korea Inc. develops, publishes, markets and distributes software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI is an independent business unit of the Sony Group.

Looks like we'll back up and running soon chaps and chapesses.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #62: May 02, 2011 01:04:22 am
      What exactly is Playstation Plus? ;D

And seems we need to change our password when it comes back online .. I wonder if that's possible to be done online?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #63: May 02, 2011 01:13:57 am
      Free sh*t? Hells yeah ;D

Being that im not regularly online, this honestly hasn't bothered me :D Only had one day i thought about playing some Red Dead Redemption online and couldn't.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #64: May 02, 2011 10:19:39 am
      Luckily for me, the PSN downtime came at just the right time. 2 really busy weeks with assignments and that, and i was fortunate enough not to have any PSN temptation.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #65: May 03, 2011 12:01:25 pm
      PlayStation Network Security Update

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

On Tuesday, April 26 we shared that some information that was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. Once again, we’d like to apologize to the many users who were inconvenienced and worried abut this situation.

We want to state this again given the increase in speculation about credit card information being used fraudulently. One report indicated that a group tried to sell millions of credit card numbers back to Sony. To my knowledge there is no truth to this report of a list, or that Sony was offered an opportunity to purchase the list.

One other point to clarify is from this weekend’s press conference. While the passwords that were stored were not “encrypted,” they were transformed using a cryptographic hash function. There is a difference between these two types of security measures which is why we said the passwords had not been encrypted. But I want to be very clear that the passwords were not stored in our database in cleartext form. For a description of the difference between encryption and hashing, follow this link.

To reiterate a few other security measures for your information: Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well. To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports.

We continue to work with law enforcement and forensic experts to identify the criminals behind the attack. Once again, we apologize for causing users concern over this matter.

Our objective is to increase security so our customers can safely and confidently play games and use our network and media services. We will continue to provide updates as we have them.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,640 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #66: May 03, 2011 12:08:53 pm
      Not bothered now.

Borrowed a few games from my brother in law.
      Currently playing Bad Company.
      Getting my fix of old school off line gaming.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #67: May 03, 2011 12:10:06 pm
      Luckily for me ... my PS3 is in Malaysia. Not really, would prefer to have it here.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #68: May 03, 2011 04:53:12 pm
      Getting my fix of old school off line gaming.

What the F**k is offline gaming? :D

I've been boosting my Fifa Character in the meantime. Surprisingly Netflix still fully functions. It hasn't been SO bad :)

Quick Reply