Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Is the Arab prince the answer?

Read 8935 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Oct 09, 2009 07:33:00 pm
      With the story coming out this week that Arab Prince, Faisal Bin Abdulaah al Saud, reportedly on the verge of buying George Gillette's 50% stake in the club I'm left to wonder am I the only one who isn't jumping for joy about it? I can fully understand everyones desire to see the back of the Americans, even 50%of them for the moment, but I cant get overly happy about another foreign investor coming in. Ill explain why

When the Americans bought the club everyone was delighted. Anyone who says they weren't is a liar. We thought at last we have people with the money to compete for the best players and build a new stadium. Star spangled banners waved in the kop. Good times were here! Except they weren't. No need for me to go into it we all know what happened next.

Perhaps its because of this that I'm dubious about the Arab prince. But I'm left wondering firstly, why are we so overjoyed by the rumour when our record with foreign investors is terrible. Also his advisers have said he's a no go on the deal unless the clubs debt becomes more manageable. Didn't Gillette just tell us this week were in the healthiest position of all the major clubs in the world? Either he was lying or the Prince doesn't know a good deal when he sees one!!

And if we are so badly in debt why ids the prince sniffing around in the first place? Does he see a buy now sell in 2 years for mega profit situation? And if so what does he plan in between?    As I said I'm cautious about any deals and that's probably down to our 2 current owners, there lies and there letdowns!!
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Re: Is the Arab prince the answer?
      Reply #1: Oct 09, 2009 08:44:41 pm
      If I thought it would help I would kiss a frog if hit had money to invest.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #2: Oct 09, 2009 09:08:33 pm
      Firstly, I was never over the moon about G&H coming in.  I had only just got round to believing Moores' story about DIC being the right owners for us, when the spin came out that G&H were perfect for us after all.

I didn't do the homework on the Yanks (unfortunately, neither did Moores or Parry) but I still wondered how a couple of blokes from a country where footy is about 27th choice, behind lacrosse, could be right for us.  What could they possibly know about owning a footy team?

I admit, I wanted to believe that they would build the stadium, something Hicks had a history of doing with great success, and that we could build a team around the revenue that would bring.  Obviously, my lack of homework meant that I failed to see these two tossers didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together.

Even then, in all the crap that has gone on, I have still questioned whether or not DIC (or whoever else) would be the right move.  As much as I want G&H out of our club, I don't want to leap out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Who is to say that the next owner would have any more respect for us fans?  Or any more understanding of the traditions of 'the Liverpool way'?   The capital or backing to build that F***ing stadium?  The knowledge of football to stick by and back a manager instead of sacking them every two minutes ( you listening Roman?)

So NO, brian, you're not the only one who has reservations about anyone new coming in.  You know what they say - "once bitten, twice shy."

All I can say, and hope to God that I'm right, is that anyone else cannot possibly as bad for LFC as the current owners?  Can they?
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #3: Oct 09, 2009 10:08:03 pm

Well he is hardly worse than 2 fat retarded americans.... :laugh: :laugh:
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #4: Oct 09, 2009 10:12:35 pm
      Good thread Brian mate.

Who knows if it would be a good thing? Only hindsight will tell us, but surely we can't be any worse off. Maybe he'll want to put money in, but if he's already complaining about the debt before he's even part of the club then that can't be good.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 09, 2009 10:19:17 pm
      Good thread Brian mate.

Who knows if it would be a good thing? Only hindsight will tell us, but surely we can't be any worse off. Maybe he'll want to put money in, but if he's already complaining about the debt before he's even part of the club then that can't be good.

I'd like to say that the reason he is worried about the debt is because he has to pay it off if he buys us so who can blame him I would be worried too if I was buying Liverpool from those two pricks..
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #6: Oct 09, 2009 10:21:41 pm
      Know what you mean mate, but with pockets as deep as his it'd be like moving into a new house and finding out the previous owners hadn't paid their paper bill.
      toradel
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 09, 2009 10:26:13 pm
      I want the prince to take over... Arabs are so rich that splash cash like water, if he buys the club am sure he's gonna give rafa what ever money he wants to invest on the team... He's the prince of saudi so he must be very very rich... I just wish he buys the whole club... With what we already have in our team an da saudi's investment our team is just gonna get better and better...
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #8: Oct 09, 2009 10:32:44 pm
      never mind an arab prince,     we need aladin with his f***in magic lamp.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #9: Oct 09, 2009 10:57:42 pm
      Anything is an improvement from them two clowns.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #10: Oct 09, 2009 11:03:06 pm
      I may be wrong ( quite often am ) but the arabs with their vast wealth have tried everything to enjoy themselves and spend their cash like we use petrol ,the serious type of wealth these guys have to compete with each other is mind boggling ..think Liverpool deserves some arab petty cash personally and kicks the yanks out ...things couldn't get any worse
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #11: Oct 09, 2009 11:13:58 pm

Didn't Gillette just tell us this week were in the healthiest position of all the major clubs in the world?

Either he was lying or the Prince doesn't know a good deal when he sees one!!

Ever heard Jimmy Nails Aint No Doubt?
      Change Gender.

Hes Lying.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #12: Oct 09, 2009 11:38:14 pm
      Know what you mean mate, but with pockets as deep as his it'd be like moving into a new house and finding out the previous owners hadn't paid their paper bill.
      Well taking all things into consideration if he was looking at buying Liverpool we would cost at least 750 Million for total control... Then we want to build a stadium and make big signings.... So if he really wants to make Liverpool successful he will have to have about 2 Billion ready to splash:/
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #13: Oct 10, 2009 12:52:44 am
      Steady on lads, what I read into this is the Prince is doing what any good businessman would do.You buy a business but you expect the incumbent to clear his debts. Remember the bulk of the debt is down to Kop Holdings Ltd., a company jointly owned by the 2 gobsh*tes.If Gillette wants to sell his share(which he is now entitled to do) then from the money he receives, he has by law to clear his portion of the Kop Holdings Ltd., debt to the banks.So if this happens our debt would principally be halved.Then if the prince decided to push through the building of a new stadium, let's say £300 million, then Hicks would first of all have to repay his 50% of the current debt (approx £225 million), but would also have to raise personnaly £150 miilion for the stadium.So does anybody see him ventuaring £375 million of his own money to stay with a 50% stake in LFC,whose total value with new stadium is valued at £1 billion.The man's a carpet bagger so no f*cking way, He'll bail out sooner for a less risky £1-200 million profit for doing f*ck all.Bring on the Arabs.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #14: Oct 10, 2009 02:00:00 am
      Nothing can be worse than it is now. We need just to look at the blue side of Manchester and the sort of cash they're whipping around, to have an idea of what we will be in for if the Arabs come on board.

Personally, i would love to have any new owners, and the Prince of Saudi Arabia won't do any harm. I see it as a win-win for both us and the Saudi Prince: We'll have a fortune to spend, and he'll definitely make a profit in due season and grow a reputation in England aswell. 
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #15: Oct 10, 2009 11:57:12 am
      Better having a dude with three wives than two fat wankers that probably have none!
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #16: Oct 10, 2009 01:35:40 pm
      Anything has to be better than those two pr*cks from over the pond,and unlike G+H i think they will respect our traditions.Arabs are a secretive bunch as it is,you couldnt imagine them publicly slating Rafa or claiming outragous things like weve spent just as much as the chavs or scum.
      But the biggest advantage of all would be the new stadium,which we all know is a massive priority if we are to keep up with the other teams round us.
      If eventually this guy gets full control of the club, the stadium would surelly be built quikly.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #17: Oct 10, 2009 02:32:09 pm
      Like many of you i am also skeptical about the prince, especially with all his indecisions to buy us over the debts, makes it seem more of a short term financial investment maybe?

On the other hand though, he might be one of the smart ones in this world and actually looking to take over a club and run it in a sustainable mannor, running it on profits made through the club itself rather than 100's of millions worth of outside loans.

However the situation we find our self in now isnt the greatest one...(to say the least!) so hopefully getting at least one of the yanks out there might finally be a bit of boardroom harmony
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #18: Oct 10, 2009 04:09:53 pm
      Could be that the prince in stating his reservations about the debt issue is cranking up the bargaining side of the deal.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #19: Oct 10, 2009 04:10:37 pm
      If he is true to his commitments and passion then he is likely to speak with the SofS and Share Liverpool.
      If they are brought onside he could be in with a chance of acceptance.

I still cant get used to see him touching the This Is Anfield sign or walking the hallowed turf with "Gretel".

Shankly would turn in his .................

macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #20: Oct 10, 2009 05:07:22 pm
      Firstly, I would welcome anyone who can run Liverpool as Liverpool are; a club with honour and history. But unless there is no groundbreaking for the new stadium, I guess I'll reserve my expectations.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #21: Oct 10, 2009 09:42:23 pm
      I'll believe it when I see it...............
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #22: Oct 10, 2009 09:50:04 pm
      This question can not be answered now, even if and hopefully when we see them sign on some form of a dotted line i will still be reserving judgement for a year.
      I remember sitting in a bar back home in Australia, me local pub, after a hard day on the farm. Me dad, me and a couple locals (miss that place, real close knit country pub) and the story about H&G taking over Liverpool was on the sports news on the TV. The pictures of them holding up the scarf, all that sh*te. Mate of ours Paul taps me on the shoulder, knowing im a Liverpool fan and says, "Dave, what do ya reckon about that?" My response? "f***in' fantastic mate, we have needed someone to come in for years now with some cash, these guys will be fantastic for us"
      How F***ing stupid does that sound now, feel ashamed for ever thinking it ::) So that is why i will not begin to comment on any new owners until i see production from them.

Quick Reply