Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Old Pictures of Liverpool

Read 37638 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Old Pictures of Liverpool
      Reply #46: Oct 12, 2009 02:03:33 am
      Anybody else think that some of the pictues are breath taking to look at and wish that they could of been around to see things like the over head railway?

Here is a picture of Speke Hall in all it's glory. I am from Speke and thought that this place deserves a mention.

Spot on mate. I would have loved to see proper old school Liverpool. Imagine trecking to work down the docks on that overhead railway in the morning.

I remember when I was a kid going to the museum in town and there was this little section in there where it was made to look like you were stepping back in time to an old cobblestone road somewhere in old Liverpool. The floor was cobblestone. And there was a big red button on one of the imaged walls, if you pressed it, all the images on the walls would come to life. It was just the sound of the street and for an adult, it probably didn't look anything exciting. Or sound exciting. But for a kid, it was amazing.

If you check out the proper video for You'll Never Walk Alone, you'll probably get the idea of what I mean. Not much wealth at all but a very strong sense of community.

As for Speke Hall. I haven't been there for years!! Is it still haunted?

Best add a pic for all the yapping I've done, hadn't I.

The old bridge in Noggsy before it was knocked down and replaced by that big steel thing.

The old steam train that used to travel along the Rallagh (Railway) through Norris Green. Amazing picture I reckon.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #47: Oct 12, 2009 04:02:59 pm

As for Speke Hall. I haven't been there for years!! Is it still haunted?

It's still the same Speke Hall but its haunted now by the planes taking off and landing at the airport which is in the adjacent field I swear its gonna fall down one day with the noise-it really is deafening.
      The council had a cunning plan when the airport was being extended  and they wanted to use the land that Speke Hall occupied they intended dismantling the Hall and reassembling it at another location, it doesn't bear thinking about. Apart from the noise it is a lovely spot and the wildlife around there is amazing you get foxes,squirrels,storks,kestrels and loads of ducks. I fish the nearby pond and used to live in Speke for years but didn't know there was ever a pond there.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #48: Oct 29, 2009 12:51:36 pm
      Has anyone got a picture of the area where Liverpool One is before Liverpool One was built?

Best I can find Ross......... I can remember years ago (1970) working in Telegraph house in South John St, before the Crown Courts were built, there used to be a street there with a cracking little chippy cum cafe were we used to get our dinners on a Saturday.... bit different now eh?........

Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #49: Oct 29, 2009 01:03:27 pm
      Liverpool city center after the May Blitz...........

Castle Street with the Queen Victoria Monument that now stands outside the QEII Law Courts.........

el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #50: Oct 29, 2009 01:06:02 pm
      The Liverpool Liners,supplement in the Echo on Tuesday some great pics of a bygone era.
      Aidan Denny
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts |
      Reply #51: Oct 29, 2009 01:38:13 pm
      here is my home town, im proud to be a huytoner

Here y'go Robby, top end of Derby Rd, towards the station and where the Telephone Exchange is now...

St Michaels Church (which is actually mentioned in the Domesday Book......

The Bluebell pub........

el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      Reply #52: Oct 29, 2009 01:43:19 pm
      Very nice Aidy.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #53: Feb 16, 2011 07:47:38 pm
      Bump!!

Get on the old Kop from outside. And look out for the Bubble Bus Stops!

Various old Liverpool pictures
      MsGerrard
      Reply #54: Feb 16, 2011 08:27:42 pm
      Great bump Kenny, and great video, bought back lots of memories.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #55: Feb 16, 2011 09:46:44 pm
      Make no mistake Liverpool is a beautiful city. Let nobody tell you any different
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #56: Feb 16, 2011 09:59:16 pm
      Kenny, what a fab video, absolutely loved that.  Brought back so many happy memories, had tears in my eyes thinking back to growing up in Liverpool, loved every minute of it.

Blackers ( I had a Saturday job in there !!)  3 and 4 star petrol (think it said 33p  :o)  Sammy Lee looking about 18, the old Crosville buses, love it.  ;D

You cheered me up on a gloomy day  ;)
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #57: Feb 17, 2011 08:04:25 am
      Great vid that Kenny. Brought back emotions of some great times in my life and some not so great times.

Was brill to see though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #58: Feb 17, 2011 12:46:48 pm
      Great pics those. Love the old school buildings.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #59: Feb 17, 2011 04:20:55 pm
      Good one Kenny took me back some of them, some were wayback and a real eye opener.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #60: Feb 17, 2011 05:13:10 pm
      70s old enough?

Lime street looking towards Georges hall

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #61: Feb 17, 2011 05:21:48 pm
      70s old enough?

Lime street looking towards Georges hall

Can't believe how quiet Lime St is there, it's totally manic today and you take your life in your hands setting foot on the road.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      Reply #62: Feb 17, 2011 07:54:38 pm
      Spot on tube bump KK even Mill Road ozy where the batez was born in 58 sound.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #63: Feb 18, 2011 06:49:33 pm
      Good stuff El B!

Anyone else care to share some pics??
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #64: Feb 18, 2011 09:10:49 pm
      Some new houses going up in Anfield now and the new College has been open for a while. Breck road is still one of the 8 wonders of the world an education everytime i go there each week.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #65: Feb 18, 2011 09:25:19 pm
      Some new houses going up in Anfield now and the new College has been open for a while. Breck road is still one of the 8 wonders of the world an education everytime i go there each week.

How come you go there every week? Sad to see a lot of the old alehouses closing down Breck Rd.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #66: Feb 18, 2011 11:02:38 pm
      How come you go there every week? Sad to see a lot of the old alehouses closing down Breck Rd.

There not you know mate.

Still got the George at the junction of Belmont and Breck, the something or other can't remember the name of it now a little further down. The Cabbage has gone and from what I'm hearing it's gonna be a Tesco. Got the Willow and the Stadium on the corner. Then the Elm and the Winny a little further down getting towards Townsend Lane. Not to sure about the top half up by the Asda and that. Still got the Brunnel up there though as well.

Speaking of Breck Rd, anybody see the Community Centre on Breck on Newsnight the other day. Me arl work place so I was proper chuffed. Some yank saying how everybody should have to work for their benefits (which to some extent I agree with). Obviously had to pick Liverpool for his ideas though eh? I know everybody on there so was interesting but even still, it should be a must watch. Especially for those from Liverpool. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yrnwz/Newsnight_15_02_2011/ from about 17 mins in.

Gone well off topic here though.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #67: Feb 19, 2011 12:22:04 am
      Yeah I seen that before I was hitting the sack. Was interesting to hear what he had to say.

As for the pubs, apart from the George, the rest are either on Townsed, shut or up the other end like the Brunnel mate.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #68: Feb 19, 2011 12:46:11 am
      Yeah I seen that before I was hitting the sack. Was interesting to hear what he had to say.

As for the pubs, apart from the George, the rest are either on Townsed, shut or up the other end like the Brunnel mate.

That one a little further down from the George is back open mate. Can't for the life of me think of what it's called. Went F***ing past it an all today.

Got the Old Barn an all which is just off Breck. Haven't been in there for years though.

Quick Reply