Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Pre Match: Sunderland v Liverpool (Premier League 17/10/09 3pm)

Read 17651 times
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Re: Liverpool pull out of Sunderland game
      Reply #92: Oct 16, 2009 06:45:07 pm

Sorry Court. Move if necessary :f_doh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,520 posts | 8685 
      Re: Gerrrard and Torres OUT for Sunderland Match!
      Reply #93: Oct 16, 2009 06:46:09 pm
      The greek is out for up to four months too.........

Apparently it's only 10 days now according to Rafa, check the locked thread!
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Re: Gerrrard and Torres OUT for Sunderland Match!
      Reply #94: Oct 16, 2009 06:47:54 pm
      The greek is out for up to four months too.........
      He is out for a week to 10 days.http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166099091016-1341.htm
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Re: Pre Match: Sunderland v Liverpool (Premier League 17/10/09 3pm)
      Reply #95: Oct 16, 2009 06:58:04 pm
      We should still beat Sunderland even without Gerrard and Torres, Sunderland will think it's their birthday but at the end of the game they'll no it was no such thing.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #96: Oct 16, 2009 06:59:50 pm
      Saw this posted over on RAWK by Garsonite. Hope it's ok to post it here. Thought it was hilarious.

Liverpool pull out of Sunderland game

Merseysiders forced to concede defeat in Premier League encounter.

Rafael Benitez has pulled his Liverpool side out of their Premier League clash with Sunderland tomorrow as both players of his two-man team were ruled out with injury.

Following the International fixtures, Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard have both returned back to Melwood unfit to play in the game against Steve Bruce's side.

While Rafael Benitez curses his misfortune, Bruce is happy to claim his first big four scalp, even through default: "Obviously it would have been better to win fairly, but we're happy to take it anyway."

Benitez said at his press conference: "It is obviously very dissapointing. We won without a team against Manchester United at home last season, but as I've been told many times, you can't win without a team. We have no players, so I might as well sit at home and watch TV Burp."

Haha!

Some poor Mancs will be rubbing their hands after reading that.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #97: Oct 16, 2009 07:14:21 pm
      On second thoughts it looks like everyone, me included, forgot about Voronin.

Will Rafa have faith in awarding him a starting place tomorrow?
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #98: Oct 16, 2009 07:19:52 pm
      On second thoughts it looks like everyone, me included, forgot about Voronin.

Will Rafa have faith in awarding him a starting place tomorrow?

I'd have no problem with him getting a chance tomorrow. He's impressed me this season whenever he's come on.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #99: Oct 16, 2009 07:28:47 pm
      Why are we worried about Sunderland more than Chelsea (me included), tbh Stevie hasn't been magical to date and nando wasn't against the chavs.  If we keep the Jones/Bent duo quiet ( and maybe Zenden won't play the full 90) keep a clean sheet and nick a goal I'd be delighted! We just haven't strenghtened enough from a position of strength last season and the rest of the PL have it seems  ???
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #100: Oct 16, 2009 08:40:29 pm
      Well tomorrow we will see how strong the squad actually is. I hope we come away with the three points, its time for Lucas, Kuyt ect to show there strong side, i can see it being a fair old battle but hopefully we can do it and move our season on
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #101: Oct 16, 2009 08:50:26 pm
      Im beginning to wonder if Rafa is playing mind games about Torres being out too! Just seen the pics of the lads training on the offal and Torres seems to be taking a full part in the session. Here's hoping anyway!!
      « Last Edit: Oct 16, 2009 09:05:43 pm by Fern-Ando Torres »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #102: Oct 16, 2009 09:07:30 pm
      ^^ Hope that's a sign we'll see him on the bench at least.  If the game's even with 20 minutes to go a fresh Torres off the bench could be a big factor.

Still, going on what we know at the moment, both him and Gerrard not playing is a big blow. Whatever anyone says about Gerrard's play this season, he can still do the magical & unthinkable at any time. And this just means longer before we see that Gerrard & Torres partnership getting going again.
      So a big loss, and i for one really am steamed up at the international set up. What was the F***ing point? Both teams qualified! Mostly at Del Bosque though, still played him even though a problem was already known. Count ya self lucky i aint anywhere near ya Vicente, because i would be wanting a fiery word with you :f_steam:

So with that this match becomes even more important. Although it already was, now we also have to deal with that weight of expectation to prove we can play without "Liverpool's only 2 players" as the press will be breathing down waiting for a failure to splash on the sports pages. Even a 1-0 win we would probably be accused of not being able to play without them ::)

Hoping to see Babel given a chance up front, he has been looking for a chance and now is the time to give him a go. If he can't do anything against a team, no dis-respect intended, like Sunderland, then well i think he would really be in for some close inspection. Agree with the calls for the likes of Pacheco as well, a good chance to give some youngsters a run. Maybe Spearing on the bench as well?

Really excited for this one as I always am for a Liverpool game, but also nervous. Big, big test this. We need the 3 points lads, come on. Our season is at a turning point, let's show the anti-red pundits that we will not go quietly into the night, we are here to stay.

YNWA
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #103: Oct 16, 2009 09:08:17 pm
      I can see this going pear shaped, only because it's against Bruce and he seems to be a boggie manager. Birmingham & Wigan have not been the pushovers in the past they should have been.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #104: Oct 16, 2009 09:12:26 pm
      without G&T we could be down to a bare bones team, not too worried about the starting XI but the subs situation could be pretty bad. I'd go for this:.
                           REINA
      JOHNSON    CARRA SKTEL AURELIO

MASCH LUCAS
      BABEL                             RIERA
                           YOSSI
                             KUYT

Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #105: Oct 16, 2009 09:20:54 pm
      I think Jay Spearing deserves a chance considering Gerrard is injured
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #106: Oct 16, 2009 09:52:44 pm
      Im beginning to wonder if Rafa is playing mind games about Torres being out too! Just seen the pics of the lads training on the offal and Torres seems to be taking a full part in the session. Here's hoping anyway!!

It's ok being able to train, doesn't mean you are match fit though. Remember matches will be tougher because he will have to Sunderland defence always fouling him and if he isn't 100% then could do some serious damage. Also the matches they do in training take less out of you than what a competitive match would.

Hope you are right about the mind games though!
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #107: Oct 16, 2009 09:54:41 pm
      He may be fit for the lyon game
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 631 posts | 61 
      Reply #108: Oct 16, 2009 10:48:49 pm
      Couldn't agree with you more mate,but unlikely,unless he spoke spanish, but then he would be starting every game,i really rate him and he knows what this club is all about.

I think Jay Spearing deserves a chance considering Gerrard is injured
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #109: Oct 16, 2009 10:52:36 pm
      Saw this posted over on RAWK by Garsonite. Hope it's ok to post it here. Thought it was hilarious.

Liverpool pull out of Sunderland game

Merseysiders forced to concede defeat in Premier League encounter.

Rafael Benitez has pulled his Liverpool side out of their Premier League clash with Sunderland tomorrow as both players of his two-man team were ruled out with injury.

Following the International fixtures, Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard have both returned back to Melwood unfit to play in the game against Steve Bruce's side.

While Rafael Benitez curses his misfortune, Bruce is happy to claim his first big four scalp, even through default: "Obviously it would have been better to win fairly, but we're happy to take it anyway."

Benitez said at his press conference: "It is obviously very dissapointing. We won without a team against Manchester United at home last season, but as I've been told many times, you can't win without a team. We have no players, so I might as well sit at home and watch TV Burp."

Well done for posting that here mate. I'm scratching my head at some of the comments in this thread.

The game hasn't been played yet and already some are seemingly admitting defeat, or admitting a draw? The spirit isn't right.

I've predicted a draw in the prediction league. And I've already said in this thread that you will wonder where the goals will come from. Realistically, it's not a good sign when two of your key attacking players are out injured. No one can deny that.

The two players who spring to mind straight away for me are Yossi and Kuyt. That's where I think our most likely source of goals may come from tomorrow.

But! There's players there who need to step up to the mark and make it count. Without the safety cushion of Torres and Gerrard to rely on if things weren't going good, this can easily have a positive reaction.

It's all about who's arsed tomorrow. Especially where testing the keeper is concerned. If anyone turns up without the right attitude then it'll be bad. If we all turn up, up for it, then we'll have more of a chance to create and win.

I thought this was always gonna be a tough game whether Torres and Gerrard featured or not. They're no slugs, Sunderland. And with the added confidence not worrying about Gerrard and Torres may add to their attitude to the game, I wouldn't be surprised to see them have more of a go at us.

If that's the case, we'll have more space to exploit. We'll have to use it wisely and quickly. Shoot to kill.

We'll win tomorrow if we turn up for a game of football. And wear our shooting boots.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #110: Oct 16, 2009 11:05:22 pm
      Its possible, But if its an abdomen tear or bruise., you can play and kick,pass,run etc.  Its the the unseen elbows from Sundeland players. Its the sliding tackles and scramble around net during set pieces where an abdomen Injury comes into play. Maybe with a little "under armor", like the goalies wear around their hips and thighs. I know they make that sh*t that wraps the kidneys,ribs and stomach. He's a tough kid. Every match he has a black eye and busted face. He's tough.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #111: Oct 16, 2009 11:17:39 pm
      Just saw Nando and Torres will be out.

Before we hit the panick buttones Id like to see Agger come in Masch and Lucas in the middle, Riera on the left, Babel on the right, Yossi behind Kuyt up front!

Have faith lads!!!!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #112: Oct 16, 2009 11:30:22 pm
      I've gone for 2-0 to us.

COYRM!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #113: Oct 16, 2009 11:40:30 pm
      1-0, Kuyt.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #114: Oct 16, 2009 11:42:12 pm
      Martin Skrtel to do an agger on it and pop up with a screamer...

1-0 to us:)

Quick Reply