Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

General transfer discussion - January 2010

Read 87214 times
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: So who are we going to bring in January to solve the squad problem?
      Reply #46: Oct 22, 2009 11:34:51 am
      I wouldnt mind we go for Ronaldinho (he can cover up LM, CAM and even CF) and get rid of Voronin and Babel. I know Ronaldinho is unlikely. If not VDV will be a good choice.

I dont know if we should get a LB or not. Defensively our LB are not good enough. Maybe Taiwo on a cheap deal?

I really like Amauri from Juventus. But i dont think we can get him. Maybe John Carew then.

James Milner wouldnt be bad either. Get him then we can use Kuyt as CF or CF/RW back up.

Thats my thought. Of course its without the Yanks.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #47: Oct 22, 2009 11:41:23 am
      Bearing in mind we've got no money then it's not looking good is it.

I hope we offload Ryan Babel.  Not on a loan either - on a permanent deal.  How much would we get for him? £5M would be about right.

World class players very rarely move in the January window so it may have to wait till next summer to be honest. Even then - it will likely be another summer of selling players to buy.
      JerilKuruvila
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #48: Oct 22, 2009 11:52:58 am
      I will go for Taylor or Milner.
      Parker is also a cheap solution.
      JerilKuruvila
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #49: Oct 22, 2009 12:00:39 pm
      I wouldnt mind we go for Ronaldinho (he can cover up LM, CAM and even CF) and get rid of Voronin and Babel. I know Ronaldinho is unlikely. If not VDV will be a good choice.
      Ronaldinho ,you want ronaldinho. Oh mate, have u seen him on Real - Milan Match.
      He was loosing the ball, whenever he gets one.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #50: Oct 22, 2009 12:05:33 pm
      I wouldn't be too surprised if they try to sell Stevie G or Nando.

If Rafa's forced out that could be a very realistic possibility.

Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #51: Oct 22, 2009 12:06:55 pm
      Only few times tho. He would be back to his best if he played more games and lose some weight.
      JerilKuruvila
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #52: Oct 22, 2009 12:09:10 pm
      Only few times tho. He would be back to his best if he played more games and lose some weight.
      Exactly mate.
      But he requires some amount of Motivation.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #53: Oct 22, 2009 12:11:37 pm
      We need players who are experienced and determined.

I'd take a look at players like Van Der Vaart and Thierry Henry.
      Though I would very much love to see David Silva and David Villa here, I just don't think we can afford them with the two yanks in charge.

Other players I actually rate are James Milner, Scott Parker and Yoann Gourcuff but only Milner and Parker are well proven in the Premier League.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #54: Oct 22, 2009 12:14:49 pm
      Unless they already play CL football as well as international football why bother. We need some old heads Henry would be one but we could do with a few more.
      gareth_lfc_belfast
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #55: Oct 22, 2009 12:33:15 pm
      how can u bring in ppl when we dont have any cash when we sign a player krygiakos it shows there was no ambition to adding depth or money to buy it for that matter
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #56: Oct 22, 2009 12:36:43 pm
      how can u bring in ppl when we dont have any cash when we sign a player krygiakos it shows there was no ambition to adding depth or money to buy it for that matter

They will have to invest in January if our form continues, dropping out of the Champions League would have serious implications on their assets and they know it. I would not be surprised at all if they are sitting their as we type counting the cost of failure and how much they stand to loose.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #57: Oct 22, 2009 12:41:05 pm
      Fair shout with Babel I would be happy if we got 6mill for him.

If we are looking at around a 10mill mark and we are all throwing names around I would throw Blazyckowski (Kuba) from Dortmund in to the hat, a pacey and skilffull right winger.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,870 posts | 6808 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #58: Oct 22, 2009 12:46:59 pm
      .....first we're going to have to bring in plenty of these

converted into stacks of these .
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #59: Oct 22, 2009 01:03:28 pm
      henry would be an inspired signing. his footballing brain and the fact that he would take the preassure off torres would transform our attack.

then go for van der vaart, the guy isn't playing much at real and want cl games, what could be simpler?

i doubt very much we will be given the fundings for silva (4 mil for doss and 10 mil for rieira? who'd pay that amount for shItters?)
      gareth_lfc_belfast
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #60: Oct 22, 2009 01:24:44 pm
      again the name david silva gets tossed around i think him and villa are just a figment or dream of every liverpool supporter for the last 2 years we have to be realistic villa about 30-40m and silva 15-20m

all our dud signings like dossena etc all that will not add up to either one thing thats needs ot be our saviour and thats the arab with the cash then and only then can we start talking world class names until that were gonna sign more dick players
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,969 posts | 5030 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #61: Oct 22, 2009 01:36:35 pm
      You can't win F**k all with kids said Hansen a few years back, Dunlop Liddle Shankly raises a very good point, If Rafa has faith in the kids he has at his disposal why not utilise them and nurture them into the playing style of his liking, Kelly was brilliant against Lyon which was very encouraging, There are certainly fans out there who watch the reserves regurlarly who can varify which players are ready for the step up, So why not use the likes of the young lads mentioned by DLS, There's one certain player i think is a must for LFC and that is David Silva IMO, Rafa could raise funds by selling off the dead wood such as Voronin, Babel, Dossena etc, How much he gets for them remains debatable but should raise around £20-£25m, The yanks would have to dig deep also and the £12m spouted is simply not good enough, I don't think bringing in has beens like Henry is the way forward, If he's not good enough for Barcelona what makes you think he's good enough for LFC, We need to create our own super stars and build a side that will challenge in all fronts, When Rafa took over wasn't his ideas  to do just that, And was'nt it the two F**k wits who said they would promise the finances to back it all up, Yeah right!, So whats happened since, Practically F**k all, No investment, No new stadium, No idea and no f***in clue what they are doing, There's only three months until the window opens, I think all will depend where we stand at that point, Who knows, Maybe the Prince would have come in by then, Maybe, God forbid we might have a new man in charge, We might be top of the league again who knows?    

YNWA      IRWT
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #62: Oct 22, 2009 01:58:17 pm
      I think we shall sign a striker with experience and knows the EPL well, a +30 years player won't cost us much. So if Henry is available, he is the man.
      Pacheco to the first team, Voronin+Dossena on sale.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #63: Oct 22, 2009 02:02:43 pm
      Pacheco looked very comfortable playing at that level lastnight and I am sure he should at least get on the bench.Personally I would find out who the negative influences are (and there are definitely some) and banish them to the furthest part of the training ground or better still ban them from the training ground.Its now a case of either you are with us or against us there is no place for anyone unless they are 110% committed to the cause.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #64: Oct 22, 2009 02:08:12 pm
      Would like Henry but don't think he'll like to join us. Simply out of respect for Arsenal, and being brutually honest he is at a better club than us.

Real have a lot of players they'll like to cut out, VDV's skilful and probably available on a cheap, would enquire about him.

Also I would like Jenas from Spurs. Don't know how much he cost but I have always rated him as a player. I think they play Huddlestone and Palacios in their starting XI no?

And also Milner from Villa. English player, could send in a good crosses always and provides competition for Kuyt. Kuyt has been far too comfortable.
      bmorelfc
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts |
      Reply #65: Oct 22, 2009 02:28:41 pm
      I have an off the wall option as an attacking mid fielder, Stuart Holden, he also has a EU passport and is young and has played in the EPL(Well he got his ass kicked by some Fans literally they didnt know he was one of theirs and they based his eye in) but since then he has been on fire, he is young, fast and has a good football sense and he would be very cheap, if you want an older option Landon Donavan
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #66: Oct 22, 2009 02:35:46 pm
      I'd keep Riera as we need to strengthen our depth, not make it as worse it is. But yeah, sell Dossena, Voronin, Babel for 12m (?) combined then bring up Pacheco and Kelly.

I think really we missed out on some bargains thanks to our budget which is upsetting. Huth, Tuncay, Kranjcar, Distin, Cana, etc. :(

A few players I think we should look at are: Chris Brunt, Bojan Krick (Loan), Javier Saviola, Luis Suarez, Mladen Petric, David Suazo. I'd take any of them tbh.

I'd even take Quaresma on loan like Chelsea did last season.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #67: Oct 22, 2009 02:39:34 pm
      There's only one player i want to see here in January. David Silva. We need an out and out winger, a winger who'll take people on and put quality balls into the box.

Have to agree with DLS, the youngsters must be given a chance. Kelly's performance against Lyon is proof of that, if any was needed. The team needs a psychological boost just now, and Kelly's passion and raw energy shone through against Lyon, sending a message to the senior players around him.

Babel, N'Gog, Voronin or Pacheco as back up for Torres? Pacheco every time for me, the other three have shown no desire to cement a place in the team when given chances.

Lucas or Spearing? I've had enough of people patting Lucas on the back for sub-standard performances, constantly sitting too deep, instead of in front of Mascherano and offering the offensive tenacity of a fieldmouse. A good player he is, but he is way too similar to Masch, way too defensive to play the link role. Spearing showed us what he's capable of against Madrid, i'll let the Sunderland perfomance go, as nobody really showed up that day, it was more a case of the players around him not responding. So, i'd say, give Spearing a go.

Now for the cruncher! Johnson or Kelly? Insua or Aurelio? Last season our defence was almost impenetrable, one of the main reasons i thought we'd walk this league this season. Carra,Skrtel,Aurelio and Arbeloa, coupled with Reina, made our defence a daunting prospect for anyone we played. We had authority, and some strikers gave up, even before they kicked a ball, such was our dominance. Arbeloa left and Aurelio got injured. Johnson was signed and everyone thought we'd improved the right back berth, after paying a phenomenal amount of money for his services.

Arbeloa didn't possess Johnson's attacking prowess, but F**k me, the lad knew how to defend. Yes, we have gained an attacking dimension with Johnson, but his defending at times this season has been shocking to say the least. It's as if he forgets he's a defender once he's in the opposition half. Insua has had a very good season so far, but i think Aurelio should be put in at left back now. Insua needs to curb his attacking instinct as it is affecting the teams defensive stability. The lad is still young and learning his trade. As for Kelly, he was a joy to watch against Lyon, solid, dependable, giving the defence that calming influence that Carra provides when he's on top of his game.

Our lack of creativity in the middle of the park is increasing the onus on us to attack from deep on the flanks, and that is having a detrimental effect on the team. I'm not going to criticise the zonal marking system as it wasn't a problem last season, so why is it this season?

Some players need a kick up the F***ing arse, and just because someone is the most expensive defender in the team, doesn't mean their 'un-droppable', does it? As other people have mentioned, back to F***ing basics. Let defenders defend, wingers take people on and cross the ball, defensive midfielders defend, offensive midfielders create chances and strikers convert the chances. Sounds easy doesn't it, well it was last season, so let's get back to where we were. Come on you Reds! Let's smash these Scum wankers on Sunday, send them back to Old Toilet in tears. And let Sunday be the start of the turning of the corner onto the long straight of Champions League glory and the Holy Grail that is number nineteen, we're all behind you. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #68: Oct 22, 2009 03:31:10 pm
      .....first we're going to have to bring in plenty of these

converted into stacks of these .
      How much do you want again?

but with our dumba**e owners it's lucky we could get this

Back to the topic, I think what Rafa must do first is to find a loan option. Find a striker who's good enough, loan him with the option to buy. Then start selling those deadwoods like Dossena, Babel, Voronin. I think with Dossena - 4 million, Babel - a good 10 million and Voronin - 3 million, we could get around 17 million and but a creative midfielder. Like I said before, we are lacking creativity to push us forward. VDV is a good option, Henry is a possibility but I suggest we just loan him, Lavezzi is a good buy but Silva is the icing on the cake for us.

Quick Reply