Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who do you want here the most?

Samuel Eto'o
      (20.8%)
      David Villa
      (54.2%)
      Fernando Torres
      (4.2%)
      Thierry Henry
      (16.7%)
      Michael Owen
      (4.2%)

Who would you want to sign?

Read 5280 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Who would you want to sign?
      Apr 30, 2007 11:31:20 am
      Well there is the options...
      Personally I want to see David Villa here next season.
      Should be an interesting topic this!
      Discuss... :scarf:
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Who would you want to sign?
      Reply #1: Apr 30, 2007 11:45:54 am
      It would have to be Villa for me too.

Henry great as it would be, would never come. I know a lot has been made about certain comments he made regarding our club & supporters, and I do believe that if he had the chance to do it all again he would've come to us, but that's all water under the bridge now, he's loyal to the Arsenal fans, and whilst I do believe he'll move in the summer, it won't be to another premiership club.

I'm not sure who it was who said this about Torres, but it sums him up perfectly: 'He's a scorer of great goals, but he's not a great goalscorer'

With Robbie probably on his way in the summer, we need a finisher just as good to replace him. Initially, Torres' record of 68 goals in 159 games sems quite impressive, but you have to look at the way Atletico play. They play as a one man team, with everything going through to Torres, and therefore he has the lions share of the chances, very similar to the way Auxerre played with Cisse in their team. As with Cisse, I don't feel he would adapt too well to having to be part of a team, and the hard work & tracking back that Rafa wants from his strikers.

Villa on the other hand, would be a much better option IMO. The lad doesn't rely on being fed the ball all the time, he can create something out of nothing, with that little bit of magic. Also, I can't find any stats to back me up, but I'm sure his assist rate will be a lot higher than Torres. But what makes him so special, is that he can do this and still score goals, 104 in 211 appearances so far. When you take into account that he's only been with Valencia since 2005, and before that was playing for Real Zaragoza & Sporting de Gijon, that tally only serves to become even more impressive. Villa is a real rarity, a clinical finisher who actually has more to his game than just goals.

Eto'o would be my second choice if we do get priced out on Villa. I'd say he's a slightly better goalscorer, but has a little less to his all round game. Having said that, with personell around him like Kuyt & Crouch, hard working players who create a lot for others, he could just shine.

bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 30, 2007 11:49:53 am
      I would love for us to sign villa, but if the rumours are true and chavski bid 45m, liverpool will have no chance, we badly need a finisher.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Reply #3: Apr 30, 2007 11:52:34 am
      I feel eto'o would be a much better option than villa. What does anyone think about darren bent?
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Apr 30, 2007 11:57:48 am
      I feel eto'o would be a much better option than villa. What does anyone think about darren bent?

Eto'o is a great player. On the other hand Darren Bent would not be good enough for us.
      richbull76
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 30, 2007 12:07:12 pm
      I cant see us getting Villa due to chelsea outbidding us with a rediculas bid, unless he truely truely wants to play for us, and they are willing to let him go, which they have openly said he is going nowhere??

Personally,

Eto = sounds like he will be leaving barca at the end of the season
      Quesremo = He could be just what we are missing, just as good as ronaldo from what ive seen of him, which isnt loads i must say, but if youve not seen him, check him out on youtube.
      Alves = loves getting forward, looks a good player

these 3 will probably be around 50 m + the clearout we will have should raise the funds to get these 3, they really could make us into title chanlengers I.M.O  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Reply #6: Apr 30, 2007 12:09:38 pm
      Court bent has scored 29 in 65 games for a bottom half team while eto'o and villa, although top class strikers are unproven in the premier league. I just think bent would be a good addition if we miss out on the other two
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #7: Apr 30, 2007 01:12:42 pm
      I cant see us getting Villa due to chelsea outbidding us with a rediculas bid, unless he truely truely wants to play for us, and they are willing to let him go, which they have openly said he is going nowhere??

Personally,

Eto = sounds like he will be leaving barca at the end of the season
      Quesremo = He could be just what we are missing, just as good as ronaldo from what ive seen of him, which isnt loads I must say, but if youve not seen him, check him out on youtube.
      Alves = loves getting forward, looks a good player

these 3 will probably be around 50 m + the clearout we will have should raise the funds to get these 3, they really could make us into title chanlengers I.M.O  ;D

Chelsea do not have the funds like the previous 2 / 3 seasons, so I don't think they can spend on ridiculous figures as before.
      Also the topic is about which of the 4 players in Samuel Eto'o, David Villa, Fernando Torres and Thierry Henry would you want most, not who you would suggest.

I would have to go for Villa, because he is a player who will run at and take on defenders. He is the sort of striker we have been missing.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #8: Apr 30, 2007 01:37:06 pm
      Henry for me he knows what the premiership is all about wouldnt need time to settle in bang bang goals galore.
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #9: Apr 30, 2007 01:53:14 pm
      It would have to be Villa for me too.

Henry great as it would be, would never come. I know a lot has been made about certain comments he made regarding our club & supporters, and I do believe that if he had the chance to do it all again he would've come to us, but that's all water under the bridge now, he's loyal to the Arsenal fans, and whilst I do believe he'll move in the summer, it won't be to another premiership club.

I'm not sure who it was who said this about Torres, but it sums him up perfectly: 'He's a scorer of great goals, but he's not a great goalscorer'

With Robbie probably on his way in the summer, we need a finisher just as good to replace him. Initially, Torres' record of 68 goals in 159 games sems quite impressive, but you have to look at the way Atletico play. They play as a one man team, with everything going through to Torres, and therefore he has the lions share of the chances, very similar to the way Auxerre played with Cisse in their team. As with Cisse, I don't feel he would adapt too well to having to be part of a team, and the hard work & tracking back that Rafa wants from his strikers.

Villa on the other hand, would be a much better option IMO. The lad doesn't rely on being fed the ball all the time, he can create something out of nothing, with that little bit of magic. Also, I can't find any stats to back me up, but I'm sure his assist rate will be a lot higher than Torres. But what makes him so special, is that he can do this and still score goals, 104 in 211 appearances so far. When you take into account that he's only been with Valencia since 2005, and before that was playing for Real Zaragoza & Sporting de Gijon, that tally only serves to become even more impressive. Villa is a real rarity, a clinical finisher who actually has more to his game than just goals.

Eto'o would be my second choice if we do get priced out on Villa. I'd say he's a slightly better goalscorer, but has a little less to his all round game. Having said that, with personell around him like Kuyt & Crouch, hard working players who create a lot for others, he could just shine.

I agree with you on Villa as he is awsome and he would be my number 1 choice but what your saying about torres is pretty harsh, La Liga is alot harder that the french first division for a start, and they are totally different players Torres does alot of work for atheltico as why do you think he's captin? Cisse was just play the ball through the middle Cisse would run onto it and shoot, Torres (as per world cup/La Liga) is much more suited to the prem and i think will be very good if he comes over here......

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #10: Apr 30, 2007 05:44:15 pm
      I agree with you on Villa as he is awsome and he would be my number 1 choice but what your saying about torres is pretty harsh, La Liga is alot harder that the french first division for a start, and they are totally different players Torres does alot of work for atheltico as why do you think he's captin? Cisse was just play the ball through the middle Cisse would run onto it and shoot, Torres (as per world cup/La Liga) is much more suited to the prem and I think will be very good if he comes over here......

Don't get me wrong, Torres is still a good player, but nowhere near the class of David Villa. As I said his goalscoring record looks impressive at first, but lets look a bit more in depth.

This season Torres has had 84 shots on goal, 50 on target for 10 goals. 3 of these goals were penalties though, so really that's 1 goal for every 7 shots on target, or 1 goal for every 12 shots.

Villa on the other hand, has had 78 shots on goal, 50 on target for 13 goals. 2 of these have been penalties, so that's one goal for every 4.5 shots on target, or 1 goal for every 7 shots, much better than Torres.

Additionally Villa has 10 assists this season compaed to Torres' 4
      Adam_lfcfan
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • A team of Carras...apart from up front!!
      Reply #11: Apr 30, 2007 10:00:52 pm
      either Eto'o or Torres. We will be priced out of signing Villa as Benitez wont want to splash all his money on 1 player
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Apr 30, 2007 10:32:38 pm
      either Eto'o or Torres. We will be priced out of signing Villa as Benitez wont want to splash all his money on 1 player

I can't believe some people. I produce stats that show Torres' shots to goals ratio is shocking, and in the very next post you reccomend we buy him? Do you actually read anything that's posted before you Adam?
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #13: May 01, 2007 12:58:11 am
      I can't believe some people. I produce stats that show Torres' shots to goals ratio is shocking, and in the very next post you reccomend we buy him? Do you actually read anything that's posted before you Adam?

I was going to accually complement your use of stats when I was in college before. Teacher came in so I had to log out!
      Anyway I think people are looking to the cheaper option. If we cannot sign Villa for less than 40 million I think other people are looking at Torres as a last resort.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: May 01, 2007 10:50:39 am
      I was going to accually complement your use of stats when I was in college before. Teacher came in so I had to log out!
      Anyway I think people are looking to the cheaper option. If we cannot sign Villa for less than 40 million I think other people are looking at Torres as a last resort.

Gotta admit Court, I had a few last night, and looking at my post now I was a bit harsh on the lad. If we want the cheaper option it'd have to be Eto'o for me, I'll get back shortly with stats to back it up.
      Davejh65
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #15: May 01, 2007 11:39:42 am
      Chelski May have a need for another striker very soon, with shev throwing the toys out, and they definitely won't get £31m for the guy when he goes, so part of the question must be, who will they go for?

we don't want a bidding war with them, but we do need a class finisher (shevchenco for £10m ?) no seriously, Villa is the man but we may not have the £££ to get him, also United will maybe offloading Saha and will be in the market for a top No. 9  going to be very interesting in the Summer and I think, very expensive (the Spanish clubs will be rubbing their hands already me thinks!?!)

DH
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: May 01, 2007 12:37:31 pm
      Ok, got the Eto'o stats now, and I have to admit, my head's been seriously turned.

I haven't used this season's stats as he's been injured for half of it, but last season he played 34, scoring 26, all from open play. In doing this he took 110 shots, 70 of them on target. Adding to my belief that he's got less of an all round game though, he only got 2 assists.

So in table form, so it's easy to digest, we have:

Name       Games     Goals    Assists    Pens    Shots   On Target   Goals/Game   Goals/Shot   Goals/On Target

Villa            30          13        10          2        78          50              0.37            0.14                0.22           
      Eto'o          34          26        2           0        110         70              0.76            0.23                0.37

Torres        31          10         4           3        84          50              0.22            0.08                0.14

For the purposes of scoring ratios, I haven't included penalties, as they don't give a true reflection.

I feel the table quite clearly shows that if you want an out & out goalscorer Eto'o would be your man, although he did have a freakishly good season last year, so I wouldn't expect a return like that year in year out. If your after a man with a bit more to his game than goals, but still a potent threat, it would have to be Villa. And if you want an overated upstart who believes his own hype, Torres is your man. Trust me, this guy would be a bigger waste of money thn either Cisse or Diouf were.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2007 01:26:18 pm by EddieC »
      Davejh65
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #17: May 01, 2007 01:13:58 pm
      Top info Motty..  I mean Eddie

DH
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Reply #18: May 01, 2007 02:26:41 pm
      Interesting stuff eddie I didn't realise torres ratio was so poor, definatly not living up to the hype! If we don't get eto'o or villa who would you go for?
      Cy
      Reply #19: May 01, 2007 02:31:20 pm
      If we would have the choice in what is proposed in the poll, it can't be anybody else then Henry, the lad is pure class, his finishing deadly, he knows the premiership like the back of his hand, probably the faster player on Hearth.

Seriously talking now, I would like Eto'o to sign for us, his pace is impressive and african player seemed to adapt quicker then spanish one in the premiership and he would be cheaper then Villa.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: May 01, 2007 04:05:32 pm
      Interesting stuff eddie I didn't realise torres ratio was so poor, definatly not living up to the hype! If we don't get eto'o or villa who would you go for?

Lester76 is gonna love hearing me say this, but I'd probably go for Tevez. I've nevber questioned the lads ability, my concerns always been about his attitude, he never looked like he was trying, bit like Cisse when he was always whinging at his team mates. But the way he's performed for the last 6 weeks or so has really changed my opinion on him. He's shown grit & determination, basically all the things that were missing in the first half of the season. Fair play, maybe it's just taken the lad a while to settle over here, he didn't speak a word of English when he first came, but he's definately gone up in my estimation. Villa & Eto'o are still my first & second choices, but after that I probably would go for Tevez if we get priced out on the others.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Reply #21: May 01, 2007 04:07:49 pm
      Agree with tevez he looks quality any time i've seen him. But would he score enough ? What do you think of darren bent or dean ashton if we miss out on eto'o or villa?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: May 01, 2007 04:11:44 pm
      Agree with tevez he looks quality any time I've seen him. But would he score enough ? What do you think of darren bent or dean ashton if we miss out on eto'o or villa?

Ashton plays a hold up role similar to Crouch, but isn't as good at it IMO. I would look at Bent if he was available for sensible money, but think we can be aiming higher. He's better than Bellamy but not as good as Eto'o or Villa.

Quick Reply