Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who do you want here the most?

Samuel Eto'o
      (20.8%)
      David Villa
      (54.2%)
      Fernando Torres
      (4.2%)
      Thierry Henry
      (16.7%)
      Michael Owen
      (4.2%)

Who would you want to sign?

Read 5279 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Re: Who would you want to sign?
      Reply #23: May 01, 2007 04:17:51 pm
      I agree we should be aiming higher with new signings. I've said before we only need 2/3 world class players to add to the current squad but I think bent is worth a try if we miss our top targets, after all he has proven he can score in the premiership with a struggling team. How good could he be playing with top players
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #24: May 01, 2007 04:28:30 pm
      I agree we should be aiming higher with new signings. I've said before we only need 2/3 world class players to add to the current squad but I think bent is worth a try if we miss our top targets, after all he has proven he can score in the premiership with a struggling team. How good could he be playing with top players

Agree, but we need to get out of the mentality of 'if we miss our top targets'. Plain & simple, we've got the money now, we've gotta pay whatever the right player costs rather than settling for second best anymore. IMO Eto'o will be available for £15-20m, and I honestly believe despite the figures being thrown around, if someone put in a serious £25m offer for Villa, Valencia would sell.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Reply #25: May 01, 2007 04:34:09 pm
      Agree with you again eddie!!!!! With the finance available we should make sure we get our top targets but do you think rafa will overspend if needed to get those players? That is my only concern. I think he knows who he wants but has always been quite cautious in the transfer market.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #26: May 01, 2007 04:38:11 pm
      Don't think were going to get Villa(i hope I'm wrong)the price will be to high if he wants to come to the prem.
      Eto,o would come at a better price, but would still cost a lot.
      Cant see Rafa spending all his money on 1 or 2 players, think Rafa likes to see value for his money.
      Tevez i have been saying for a long time, is a top draw player, would love to see him at Liverpool.
      Bent not sure on him, dont know if he can go up a peg or two.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Reply #27: May 01, 2007 04:41:48 pm
      That's the point i'm making graham. Rafa in the past liked to get value for money but we are past that stage now. We need quality not quantity. Too many players this summer will slow down our start again. The squad along with the young players coming thruogh is the best we have had in a while and only needs 2/3 top class players to push for the title.
      gleno
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts |
      Reply #28: May 02, 2007 02:44:15 am
      where money matters i think it could be tevez who wins the race.
      although vila still might come through.
      with 8m +for bellamy plus US cash
      we should be challenging with the big boys this year.
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #29: May 02, 2007 11:06:31 am
      I think Eto'o or villa will spice up our attack.we need a target man in our setup
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #30: May 02, 2007 01:34:27 pm
      I think Eto'o or villa will spice up our attack.we need a target man in our setup

WTF? Is this a joke?

Crouch is a target man. Kuyt, to a lesser extent is a target man. Players like Didier Drogba, John Carew, they're target men. Villa & Eto'o certainly aren't. They are both players who like the ball played into the space between the defenders to run on to, skill players. In the case of Eto'o with a lot of power behind him as well, simply bulldozing the opponents in his path. With Villa, there's an extra dimension to his game, in that he can create something out of nothing, with the ball at his feet. What neither of them is though, is a target man. They're not very good at holding the ball up, they don't take a couple of defenders with them on set pieces, and they're not that talented with their heads, as well as their obvious lack of height.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #31: May 03, 2007 06:46:10 pm
      Lester76 is gonna love hearing me say this, but I'd probably go for Tevez. I've nevber questioned the lads ability, my concerns always been about his attitude, he never looked like he was trying, bit like Cisse when he was always whinging at his team mates. But the way he's performed for the last 6 weeks or so has really changed my opinion on him. He's shown grit & determination, basically all the things that were missing in the first half of the season. Fair play, maybe it's just taken the lad a while to settle over here, he didn't speak a word of English when he first came, but he's definately gone up in my estimation. Villa & Eto'o are still my first & second choices, but after that I probably would go for Tevez if we get priced out on the others.

Ah ha!!! Thats right....everyone get onboard the 'Tevez For liverpool' bandwagon...right you lot...search your hearts and your posts and see how you all dismissed me and the Tevez campaign...and now slowly but surely you are all changing....EddieC...new found respect...a man who can admit when he is wrong and can embrace the new way foward.....you can all thank me later....(that rant was a bit like Tony Blair recruiting for the Sciencetologists)
      RedWilly

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #32: May 03, 2007 06:51:15 pm
      one big problem with Tevez.....He's uglier than both the neville brothers!!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #33: May 03, 2007 06:55:09 pm
      one big problem with Tevez.....He's uglier than both the neville brothers!!

Tevez & Kuyt upfront, all the ladies are gonna want to watch us aren't they!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34: May 03, 2007 07:07:14 pm
      imagine the fear in all the defenders eyes next season...thats 15 points in the bag right there...now if only we can bring back the QPR minger Gary Micklewhite we'll win the league....or Mike Duxbery...he was a looker
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #35: May 03, 2007 07:48:17 pm
      Villa/Torres/Eto'o cost far too much and don't come with a cast-iron gurantee of producing in the premier league

I thinkthe other Valencia striker Angulo is quality. He can really play and would seem more suited to the prem.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,365 posts | 4973 
      Reply #36: May 03, 2007 07:56:42 pm
      Villa/Torres/Eto'o cost far too much and don't come with a cast-iron gurantee of producing in the premier league

I thinkthe other Valencia striker Angulo is quality. He can really play and would seem more suited to the prem.

And you think angulo is guaranteed to produce in the prem? I'd much rather spend big on villa or eto'o than take a chance on angulo at least they are proven at the top level if not in england!!
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #37: May 03, 2007 09:53:11 pm
      i have to say Villa would be brilliant but i would go for Eto
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #38: May 04, 2007 01:29:03 pm
      SRSLFC...

From what I've seen (which is quite a bit) I do think Angulo is a great player and has more to his game than just finishing. Thought he showed more than Villa aginst Chelsea

Arsene Wenger thought so a couple of seasons ago when he tried to sign him as he wanted him to play along side Henry but refused and decided to stay with Valencia.

I may not have a great record for spotting premiership strikers but I reckon Wenger has.

The fact that a striker gets rumoured to be in the clubs interests in the press doesn't mean that we have to go along with it.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #39: May 04, 2007 03:45:22 pm
      SRSLFC...

From what I've seen (which is quite a bit) I do think Angulo is a great player and has more to his game than just finishing.

I'd agree with that, but the fact is we already have three strikers who have more to their game than finishing, four if you include Voronin, who I hope has more to him, cos his strike rate's appauling.

Fact is, an out & out finisher is what we need, and Villa or Eto'o fit the bill perfectly. I don't think Torres would be any good, refer to my posts on the previous page.
      tomarto
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts |
      Reply #40: May 04, 2007 03:48:23 pm
      kaka would be number  choice
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #41: May 04, 2007 03:52:15 pm

People might laugh at that, but he might be available in the summer. He's publicly said that if Milan don't qualify for next seasons CL he wants to leave. More likely he'll stay in Italy or go to Spain than come here though. You never know though, if we beat them again, he might have the attitude of if you can't beat them, join them?
      RedWilly

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #42: May 04, 2007 04:51:46 pm
      on skysports.com he said that if he ever left Milan then he would definately look at the Prem, and with the new owners backing, we could sign him altough i doubt it very much.
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #43: May 04, 2007 06:26:57 pm
      I pretty sure I saw the Kaka interview on tele and he went on to say that if he came to England then he'd love to play alongside Ronaldo :tosser:
      RedWilly

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #44: May 04, 2007 06:36:25 pm
      I pretty sure I saw the Kaka interview on tele and he went on to say that if he came to England then he'd love to play alongside Ronaldo :tosser:

No he said he would like to play alongside ronaldo at Milan, he never said at utd.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #45: May 04, 2007 07:39:13 pm
      No he said he would like to play alongside ronaldo at Milan, he never said at utd.

That's right! It was his fellow countryman he was refering to.
      Kaka, would be a ridiculously great signing! But I can't see that happening. Could it?

Quick Reply