Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Yossi: Why Pepe is our Mr Motivator.

Read 1525 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Oct 30, 2009 02:12:01 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N166263091030-1035.htm

Yossi Benayoun today revealed how a pep talk from one of Liverpool's senior players helped the Reds overcome their dip in form and beat Manchester United.
      The Israeli was one of the star performers in last weekend's 2-0 victory - and he credits a team huddle orchestrated by goalkeeper Pepe Reina with giving him and his teammates extra confidence after four straight defeats.

"We spoke a lot to try and get the confidence," said the midfielder.

"Before the game Pepe decided in the moment to get everyone together. It wasn't something he had planned, he just wanted to give all the players some extra motivation. It worked."

Next up for Liverpool is a difficult trip to Craven Cottage on Saturday, a venue where Benayoun scored a last-minute goal to seal a crucial victory last term.

His strike had the travelling Kop singing 'We're gonna win the league' - a task which ultimately proved a bridge too far for the Reds. Even so, the 29-year-old still holds fond memories of that day back in April.

Now he's targeting a repeat performance.

"I hope we do it earlier this time!" said Benayoun.

"But if we are going to do that, we'll have to work as hard as we did against United. We knew we were under pressure but we spoke between ourselves and hoped our quality would come through.

"To be in the situation that we were after winning at Fulham last season, we have got to work hard. But if we keep playing as a team and showing our quality, we can keep giving something back to the supporters.

"We stepped up a level against United but that was only a return to the level we were playing at last season. I don't know whether it is a surprise to some people but maybe you can see why they think like that after we lost four games and played badly.

"We heard everyone saying we didn't have the confidence or quality to beat United or enough depth in the squad to win games of that importance. But hopefully we have shown everyone that is wrong. We still have lots of quality here.

"It was a must-win game last week. Losing four in a row is not a situation we are used to but to beat United as we did was the best way to recover. They are one of the best teams in Europe but we deserved the win.

"We knew we had to come back strong. The only way we could have won was by playing as a team, pressing from the first minute and working hard. We had the belief and we have quality players but we needed a win like this to get the confidence back.

"But we can't waste what we achieved last Sunday. We have got to make that win a turning point and believe that we can beat anyone. We've got to keep trying to play well but it won't be easy at Fulham."

Last season's corresponding fixture at the Cottage was arguably the highlight of a tremendous few months for Benayoun.

Such form has continued into 2009-10 and the winger is now established as a key figure in Rafa Benitez's team.

"I enjoyed the last four months of last season and felt I played well," he said. "But I'm playing more games now, I feel more confident.

"I'm just trying to do my best and improve in every game. When you play alongside good players, it's so much easier.

"That's why it's important to have a striker like Fernando. You know you can give him the ball in the area where he wants it and you know that he is going to finish well. I just hope Stevie is back alongside him soon, too. We'll be a better team then."

Well done Pepe ever the favourite of many players in the dressing room, lets see more of this and see if you can inspire the lads to League Glory.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: Yossi: Why Pepe is our Mr Motivator.
      Reply #1: Oct 30, 2009 02:14:45 pm
      I get more impressed with Reina every day. His ability, consistency and attitude are all bang on. One of our best bargains ever at £6m.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #2: Oct 30, 2009 02:18:02 pm
      Pepe seems like a character that you would love to work with. He's always thinking of the team, is passionate and very hard-working. One of the best goalies around as well.

Good stuff Yossi and Pepe.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #3: Oct 30, 2009 02:24:07 pm
      Pepe really is an inspiration!  Good to read such positive thoughts from Yossi too.  Well in Pepe and Yossi!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #4: Oct 30, 2009 02:58:40 pm
      Well...what can I say. We got a world class goalkeeper and a motivator as well. A bargain for 6 million.
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #5: Oct 30, 2009 03:13:47 pm
      Well done pepe an absolute bargin at 6m well done rafa for buying him
      g.adair
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #6: Oct 30, 2009 03:42:19 pm
      i think he'd make a great captain.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #7: Oct 30, 2009 04:03:39 pm
      Top guy he is, a real morale booster for the team.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #8: Oct 30, 2009 04:05:14 pm
      The way he ran the length of the pitch to congratulate N'Gog shows his passion for LFC you can't put a price on that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Oct 30, 2009 04:46:33 pm
      The way he ran the length of the pitch to congratulate N'Gog shows his passion for LFC you can't put a price on that.

Too true Stuey mate thats a real affirmation with the club and speaks volumes about how much that win over UTD actually meant to Pepe, he's a true honorary Scouser and he will certainly be remembered as a legend at this great club of ours.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 30, 2009 06:36:24 pm
      When one of your players show passion like that it then spreads through the team.We love to see passion like this and i think he would make a good captain for us if needed.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Oct 31, 2009 01:34:14 pm
      F**k Gerrard, give this guy the armband :D

I just cannot express how much i love him. Every time he does something, i think he cannot do more to impress me and then he does. Brilliant man.

Rafa's best signing, ever.

Quick Reply