Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Steve McMahon's take on the United game

Read 1167 times
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Steve McMahon's take on the United game
      Oct 30, 2009 02:59:10 pm
      Momentum and consistency are key

Friday 30th October 2009

Chelsea were not the biggest winners last weekend, it was Liverpool.

Carlo Ancelotti's side may have reclaimed top spot in the league but Liverpool grabbed a morale-boosting win over arch-rivals Manchester United.

Liverpool really needed to win that game. If they hadn't, they would have been out of the title race. I think the season starts here for the Anfield side.

Everything went right for Liverpool. They pressured, they worked hard and they deserved to win. It's not just about Fernando Torres, Yossi Benayoun or Jamie Carragher, everyone played well for Liverpool.

They played five across the field with Benayoun in the Steven Gerrard role. Although I can see Benayoun moving to the left-hand side once Gerrard returns from injury, that's not a slight on Benayoun. He deserves to be in the first-team on merit and be a key player for Liverpool.

United, as a whole, were very poor at Anfield. There was a number of reasons why United struggled.

Firstly, Ryan Giggs has not played on the left-hand side for a long, long time and I think he can't play there any more.

Secondly, They have lost that little bit of spark even though Wayne Rooney came back into the first team. Rooney just couldn't do anything about it. Liverpool were too dominant and they isolated Rooney well. United didn't play well but it was down to Liverpool who didn't allow them to play at all.

Thirdly, they missed Darren Fletcher and I think he is an important component in United's first eleven. Park Ji-Sung also did not play. I think they are important players for United in the big games. With all the flair players in the United team, you really need hard-working footballers in there to help balance the team.

And lastly, I'm never convinced by a midfield consisting of Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick. They never looked comfortable together. I think they are too similar in the way that they sit in front of the back four and dictate play from there.

I also think referee Andre Marriner did fairly well in this game. He was right in not sending off Jamie Carragher. The ball was going away from the penalty area and Michael Owen was also going away from goal. It was never a red card offence. I also think the ref did well to reject Manchester United's claim for a penalty when Carragher clearly got the ball first. I don't think it was a penalty at all. It was a fantastic tackle on Carrick. It doesn't matter if another player was in the way. If you have got the ball, it's a good tackle.

I don't think it was right for Sir Alex Ferguson to blame the referee. As I often mentioned in my columns, Ferguson tend to blame everybody except himself and his team. There was nothing wrong with the referee's decisions. They were again excuses.

United can't complain about the referee because he should have given Nemanja Vidic a straight red card rather than a second yellow card. He's lucky he's just got a one match ban instead of three. Ferguson wasn't complaining about that, was he? And looking at how Rio Ferdinand is struggling defensively, they need Vidic even more to help shore up the defence.

Torres' opening goal was crucial for Liverpool as it gave them a lead to defend and forced United to come out more. People say Torres' goal is perhaps the most important goal scored for Liverpool this season. I don't think so. It will only be crucial if Liverpool build on this victory. This is only three points. If you beat Stoke it's only three points. It's the same with United or any other club.

The thing about Liverpool is they have got to keep it going, what's the point of beating Manchester United if you then go to Fulham next week and lose?

It will be a tough, tough game at Craven Cottage. Hand on heart, I believe Liverpool can build on this if, and only if, they play with the same kind of commitment and intensity defending and going forward as they did against United.

I also think Manchester United will bounce back certainly against Blackburn at home. If it was a tougher game, then they might have a problem, but Blackburn are decimated by injuries and illnesses, so I don't think United will have any problems getting back to winning ways.
      http://www.espnstar.com/opinion/columnists/column/item56309/

Pretty much puts the game into perspective. And once again demostrates how sore United fans can be, going around blaming everyone except themselves.

And I would like to add, it wasn't that United was poor. It was that Liverpool outclassed them, all over the park. :D
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Re: Steve McMahon's take on the United game
      Reply #1: Oct 30, 2009 03:04:07 pm
      True so true.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #2: Oct 30, 2009 03:09:20 pm
      F**king right when he pointed out about Fergie! Everyone is wrong except himself and the s**te scums. Good read as well!
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #3: Oct 30, 2009 07:20:36 pm
      Good read that and totally true,always got to point the finger at somebody.He doesn't complain when the officials add more time on and they go on a score.

I also agree it was more us that outclassed them than anything else
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #4: Oct 30, 2009 08:40:13 pm
      Good read that and totally true,always got to point the finger at somebody.He doesn't complain when the officials add more time on and they go on a score.

I also agree it was more us that outclassed them than anything else
      Yeah I hate it when newspapers and newschannels say United lost because they were rubbish. They lost because Liverpool didn't let them play at all, it had nothing to do with United playing badly, we were just too good for them.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5: Oct 31, 2009 10:48:59 am
      Good read that
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #6: Oct 31, 2009 01:33:51 pm
      Good article, Macca.

Quick Reply