Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Could we cope with having to put a certain amount of homegrown players in?

Read 2204 times
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      Could we cope with having to put a certain amount of homegrown players in?
      Oct 31, 2009 08:35:30 pm
      over the last few years you hear more and more about each side one day having to have a certain amount of "homegrown" players in the match day squad. how do you think we would cope compared to the rest of the Premier League if say we had to have say 7 players?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Could we cope with having to put a certain amount of homegrown players in?
      Reply #1: Oct 31, 2009 08:38:49 pm
      Of course we can they can't be any worse than Voronin, Degen, Dossena etc can they.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      Reply #2: Oct 31, 2009 08:43:25 pm
      Of course we can they can't be any worse than Voronin, Degen, Dossena etc can they.

its sad to say that the days of playing well in the ressies will get you a first team place has gone really. i would like to have a rule to be honest. it would be great incentive for a young lad coming through knowing that he definitley has the chance to get in the matchday squad one day.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #3: Oct 31, 2009 08:46:13 pm
      its sad to say that the days of playing well in the ressies will get you a first team place has gone really. i would like to have a rule to be honest. it would be great incentive for a young lad coming through knowing that he definitley has the chance to get in the matchday squad one day.

What like Martin Kelly has.

I reckon he would of started today ahead of Degen had he not been injured.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #4: Oct 31, 2009 08:48:35 pm
      Kelly should be in before Degan
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 31, 2009 08:52:40 pm
      What like Martin Kelly has.

I reckon he would of started today ahead of Degen had he not been injured.

i think he wouldve as well. do u think tho that some youngsters are put off by our record in the last few years in using young players and have maybe gone to another big club? i like to think local young lads would join us but maybe english youngsters may join say Arsenal etc
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #6: Oct 31, 2009 08:54:50 pm
      i think he wouldve as well. do u think tho that some youngsters are put off by our record in the last few years in using young players and have maybe gone to another big club? i like to think local young lads would join us but maybe english youngsters may join say Arsenal etc

No, our academy for producing local talent was fu**ed before Rafa got here.

Everton having been getting more local talent than we have.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 31, 2009 08:57:49 pm
      I think he wouldve as well. do u think tho that some youngsters are put off by our record in the last few years in using young players and have maybe gone to another big club? I like to think local young lads would join us but maybe english youngsters may join say Arsenal etc

If I was decent at football (to a level where I could play for a academy side of a premier league team) Arsenal is one of the last clubs I would go to. I know they get a lot of youngsters playing in cup matches and everyone thinks it is the best club for young players. How many of Arsenals youngsters are English? Was it 3 against us? I'd much rather go to a club like West Ham. I'm afraid I wouldn't go to Liverpool though.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #8: Oct 31, 2009 08:59:40 pm
      If I was decent at football (to a level where I could play for a academy side of a premier league team) Arsenal is one of the last clubs I would go to. I know they get a lot of youngsters playing in cup matches and everyone thinks it is the best club for young players. How many of Arsenals youngsters are English? Was it 3 against us? I'd much rather go to a club like West Ham. I'm afraid I wouldn't go to Liverpool though.

Currently i've heard Bolton are supposed to be among the best for bringing on home-grown players, heard their academy is very-good and has a few ex-Liverpool academy coaches working there.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      Reply #9: Oct 31, 2009 09:00:02 pm
      No, our academy for producing local talent was fu**ed before Rafa got here.

Everton having been getting more local talent than we have.

i wasnt blaming rafa at all. you are right its been fu**ed for a few years. obviously i dont work at Liverpool but im imaginging they are concentrating heavily on young lads especially during this economical climate.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 31, 2009 09:02:12 pm
      Currently I've heard Bolton are supposed to be among the best for bringing on home-grown players, heard their academy is very-good and has a few ex-Liverpool academy coaches working there.

oh really, thats interesting. i cant believe how few players have come through in the last decade. has our "new" academy been a jinx???
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #11: Oct 31, 2009 09:18:41 pm
      oh really, thats interesting. i cant believe how few players have come through in the last decade. has our "new" academy been a jinx???

I know a lad who works at the academy, he was up at Bolton a month or so ago and was really impressed with their set-up, was even offered a job, but turned it down, love of the club and all that.

He's even admitted our academy at the moment is a bit up in the air and it's down to the fact we're F***ing skint!
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #12: Oct 31, 2009 10:01:25 pm
      The main problem with ' homegrown players ' as i see it the fact that schools do not actively encourage sports anymore so instead of the kids playing team football through their school life on a regular basis where 'scouts' can get a look at talent ,the scouts are mainly directed to the overseas countries that do encourage sports ,so in a nutshell ,it's the education systems for sports at fault for teams foreign player numbers ....just my opinion .
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      Reply #13: Oct 31, 2009 10:43:19 pm
      I know a lad who works at the academy, he was up at Bolton a month or so ago and was really impressed with their set-up, was even offered a job, but turned it down, love of the club and all that.

He's even admitted our academy at the moment is a bit up in the air and it's down to the fact we're f**king skint!

the thing that bothers me is that in last 10 years we seem to spend like £1m on a nineteen year old that doesnt make it and not invest that into the academy. im sure your friend knows where and what they need to spend money on more than i do. couldnt they maybe have a proper school there. as well as play football they could be educated there as well or do they fo that already?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #14: Oct 31, 2009 11:40:20 pm
      Won't the addition of Segura (the bloke coming from Barca) help us overhaul the academy? problem is it's a long=term commitment at a time when the owners can't commit long-term. I'd imagine that having a new head of the academy, especially one with the degree of success Segura has had, will reap rewards if youth is given a chance to play more often though.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Oct 31, 2009 11:55:11 pm
      If we have more talented young player come through. And give them more chance to shine. We would have a big enough squad to win the title. But it is easy to say but hard to do. Sometimes we are too scared to use young players. So far i only see Ngog and Insua. We could use more as sub.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #16: Nov 01, 2009 12:03:14 am
      No the fact is that because of economic reasons, todays Ressies are the make it or break it step up from the Academy.So that if you make the first team squad you have a chance of making it into the team,If not you hopefully have an enhanced sell-on value. to put it bluntly, the Ressies are a cash cow for the club, and have become part of the managers remit.Sad I know, but that's the mentality of the owners/administrators. in modern football.Sh*te isn't it where's the pride anymore?
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      Reply #17: Nov 01, 2009 12:10:39 am
      No the fact is that because of economic reasons, todays Ressies are the make it or break it step up from the Academy.So that if you make the first team squad you have a chance of making it into the team,If not you hopefully have an enhanced sell-on value. to put it bluntly, the Ressies are a cash cow for the club, and have become part of the managers remit.Sad I know, but that's the mentality of the owners/administrators. in modern football.Sh*te isn't it where's the pride anymore?

it is mate. i used to love keeping an eye out for the reserves and reading up on local lads so that when they came to 1st team squad i would know a little bit about them.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #18: Nov 01, 2009 12:21:32 am
      it is mate. I used to love keeping an eye out for the reserves and reading up on local lads so that when they came to 1st team squad I would know a little bit about them.
      Mate don't get me wrong,I watch all the Ressies games and I enjoy them, but I fear the step up knocks out the enthusiasm.

Quick Reply