Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Proper 'Liverpool' players?

Read 1709 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Proper 'Liverpool' players?
      Nov 03, 2009 09:06:07 am
      I'm not sure if this has been done before but here goes.

The other day, I was talking with my Arsenal mate of mine and we were talking about players who look like the type of players fit enough to represent their current clubs. I think one of the important factors that contribute to a team with good level of chemistry and understanding would be the attitude of the person itself.

We know how Scouse Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher are due to the fact they were born in Liverpool, grew up here and are representing their local team. Even though at times they may not look like it, but Carra and Stevie will always put in that extra grit, determination, commitment and passion which money can't buy while on the field. We've also seen how much it means to them when we beat Man United and Everton. They never boast or brag. They don't think they are all that and they represent Liverpool FC the way it should be, the right way. We can also put Ian Rush and Danny Murphy in this category.

Then comes in players like King Kenny, Didi Hamann, Gary Mac, Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina, Yossi Benayoun, Dirk Kuyt, Daniel Agger and a certain Xabi Alonso and many more. Though they weren't born here, they are/were real class players and good people off the field. They would be categorised under honorary/adopted Scousers IMO. They have the same feelings for the club as our Stevie and Carra have but only difference is that they are from other countries. Yet, they too, represent Liverpool, the right way as it has been well shown by Torres and Reina.

Just like them, Rafa does it the Liverpool way. He never(rarely/hardly) brags and he knows when we are second best and then strives to improve every game.  Even after having some great results, he won't say things like 'We played like champions' but instead says 'We have to improve on bla,bla,bla, yada,yada,yada'.

On the other hand, I don't put players like Ryan Babel and Andriy Voronin under that category. I'm not too sure why but I just feel that they don't have that in them. Also, it just doesn't look right if we have a player like Dimitar Berbatov, Didier Drogba or Michael Ballack. IMO, they are too cocky and the Drogba and Ballack suits perfectly in Chelsea ( must be because of their former manager, Jose Mourinho). Also, players like Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie, Samir Nasri and Theo Walcott look picture-perfect in Arsenal.

So, what do you guys think?
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2009 07:49:31 pm by JD »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Re: Liverpool in them.
      Reply #1: Nov 03, 2009 09:37:44 am
      Some of the players you mention ie Van Persie,Drogba et al do have a mercenary trait to them the same applies to Babel and Veronin and over a period of time the situation only becomes more exaggerated as they are required to display some extra passion and motivation that is not available. The predominating factor here has got to be character and honesty and the likes of Dalglish, Benayoun,Agger etc have them in abundance and their performance and commitment are directly related to these passions.
      You mention Danny Murphy in your list of non scousers which surprised me I was aways convinced he was one of us, I believe Ian Rush's parents were scousers or his father was and he only lived down the road in welsh Wales so I guess he could be naturalised scouse.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #2: Nov 03, 2009 10:01:10 am
      You mention Danny Murphy in your list of non scousers which surprised me I was aways convinced he was one of us, I believe Ian Rush's parents were scousers or his father was and he only lived down the road in welsh Wales so I guess he could be naturalised scouse.

Yeah, actually, I only mentioned Torres, Reina and Alonso. I added the other names later on so you know...

but I'll modify the post :D
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #3: Nov 03, 2009 10:08:56 am
      Don't forget the scouse accent of Jan Molby. Oh and Terry Mac eh? :aaliverpoolwz0:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Nov 03, 2009 10:24:43 am
      I honestly think that this is one of the qualities that Rafa looks for when buying players instead of chasing superstars. Although we all have our wish lists of big name players and bemoan the fact that we're on a limited budget, I think Rafa is genuinely wary of targeting big names unless they have a good work ethic and battling qualities when things are against them.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #5: Nov 03, 2009 10:36:52 am
      IMO babel & voronin are similar to Collymore in the fact that they only give effort when they want, and some think they are bigger than the Club, which in that case they can GTFO of Anfield.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #6: Nov 03, 2009 10:41:03 am
      I'm not sure Voronin's trouble is down to effort, I just don't think he's good enough  :-\
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #7: Nov 03, 2009 10:50:32 am
      Yeah, actually, I only mentioned Torres, Reina and Alonso. I added the other names later on so you know...

but I'll modify the post :D
      No need mate it was only a very technical point  ;)
      IMO babel & voronin are similar to Collymore in the fact that they only give effort when they want, and some think they are bigger than the Club, which in that case they can GTFO of Anfield.
      Mercenary covers it mate,all they're in there for is the wedge.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #8: Nov 03, 2009 10:56:09 am

I'm not sure Voronin's trouble is down to effort, I just don't think he's good enough  :-\

Could'nt agree more.There's no doubt he can leg it with the best (engine wise)BUT lacks class/ability.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #9: Nov 03, 2009 02:03:05 pm
      Apart from what you said about ballack (because i think he is class) I agree with what your saying. We need to buy players who fit into the squad and have our style. I think a liverpool player doesn't have to be world class, but must show some great skill when needed, must always work hard, play with passion and always think about the team. Voronin and babel don't seem to provide that.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #10: Nov 03, 2009 02:21:11 pm
      Players who will put in 100% on the field, and keep out the papers off it. All footballers have an ego, but as long as it's kept in check I don't have a problem with it.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #11: Nov 03, 2009 06:50:49 pm
      There are definitely Liverpool players, in the type of person sense rather than footballing skill and style.

You couldn't imagine the likes of Ibrahimovic, Cristiano Ronaldo or Drogba playing for Liverpool. I wouldn't deny that they are amazing players. But their manner definitely wouldn't fit the 'Liverpool way.'

At the same time, you see players who hold their clubs values at heart. Torres loved Atletico but felt he had given his all for them and moved here. He now holds our values and traditions at heart and is very much a player in the Liverpool mould.

Although they are more or less unattainable, I could certainly imagine the likes of Lionel Messi in a Liverpool shirt. Although it'd take the budget of a medium sized country, I could see him joining us over, say, Chelsea. In fact I would bet my life that he would opt for us over them if it were to come down to it.

Excellent topic though. The titles a little confusing mind but an excellent observation.   
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Re: Proper 'Liverpool' players?
      Reply #12: Nov 03, 2009 08:58:44 pm
      I agree, I was also thinking about Lionel Messi , not knowing you have mentioned it  ??? I read your whole post but the Messi bit  ??? ???.

You could say that players like Luis Garcia, Peter Crouch, John Arne Riise and Robbie Keane fit into the 'Liverpool' type of players as well. I just can't picture a player like Wayne Rooney in here.
      maxpinay
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Nov 04, 2009 01:12:00 am
      Amen to the post. true Liverpool players really do have that certain "can't be bought" attitude...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #14: Nov 04, 2009 01:34:12 am

Echo that.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #15: Nov 04, 2009 01:47:34 am
      Agree with everything that's been said.

Rafa is an adopted Scouser IMO, and he buys players based on the type of people they are, not just the skills they attribute. Unlike Mourinho, Rafa wouldn't buy players who are brats like Drogba, Eto'o, etc.

What made Liverpool such a class club was the fact we have always been respectful. I think of the current crop of non-scouse players, Reina is the most passionate Liverpool player who always gives it his all, unlike some.
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Reply #16: Nov 04, 2009 01:49:26 am
      Martin Kelly proper player in the making ! In our squad at the moment the only proper players we have are Carragher,Reina,Gerrard,Torres,and Kuyt while 15-20 years ago the whole squad would give their left testicle to make the people happy.

When you look at the likes of Babel,Voronin,to name a couple strooling around like they couldnt be bothered just pisses me off :mad:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #17: Nov 04, 2009 07:53:18 am
      Martin Kelly proper player in the making ! In our squad at the moment the only proper players we have are Carragher,Reina,Gerrard,Torres,and Kuyt....

I'd add Beneyoun and Skrtel to that. I heard that Yossi had a little whine to his agent lest year that he wasn't playing enough but now he's been given a chance, he keeps running and running, trying to find away through the opposition. Skrtel must know that he is behind Agger because as soon as Agger is fit, he comes into the side yet Skrtel keeps battling away regardless of his limitations as a player.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #18: Nov 04, 2009 07:57:22 am
      Out of current crop Id say, Reina, Torres & Kuyt are the stand outs, along with Carra & Gerrard obviously. Yossi is there as well, the wee man always puts in a shift.

Dagger & Skrtel if they stick around for another year or 2, both got their hearts in the right place.

You will probably find most of the young lads coming through as well, if they make it will stay for a long time, Spearing, Kelly & Insua etc..
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2009 11:31:28 am by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected Spelling »
      Redmen
      • Forum Ian St John

• 429 posts | 61 
      Reply #19: Nov 04, 2009 08:04:32 am
      Great topic. These players mentioned all have a great relationship with the fans which wouldnt be the case with the more arrogant players like Drogba, Ronaldo, that ugly sh*te Rooney and Adebayors etc.....

Another reason why our club is a class above any other.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #20: Nov 04, 2009 08:38:00 am
      I wouldn't normally defend ManUre players but I wouldn't include Rooney in that lot. We all know he's a Blue but he gives his all in every game he plays for the Mancs.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #21: Nov 04, 2009 08:58:04 am
      I guess we can say that Ronaldo, Rooney, and G.Neville are Man United type of players.

It's pretty important to have players that are suited for the club in terms of attitude because they will carry the image of the club around as seen in Sami Hyypia and Didi Hamann especially. Even after leaving the club, they have never let the club left them and are still doing it 'the Liverpool way'.

Even the younger lads like Stephen Darby, Martin Kelly and Jay Spearing look like they'll be falling into that category.

Quick Reply