Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Lyon 1 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Annoyance

Read 32849 times
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Re: Lyon 1 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Annoyance
      Reply #230: Nov 05, 2009 06:00:58 am
      And of course if we go on to qualify I'll be telling my mates this is our year, the double year.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #231: Nov 05, 2009 06:13:56 am
      Sorry to hear that mate,keep off the nectar and have a cup of cocoa or hot milk. We need you back on the D-topic as soon as.

Cheers mate, that's the plan warm fire and hot cups of tea and such. Hopefully by the weekend I'll be fit and fiddle again.
      And to use an American sports term, Im on the Drunk topics 'injured reserve' list, condition listed as day-to-day ;)

On the subject of the game, still haven't seen highlights but more reading, really seems everything is positive apart from the result. And with all our games marred by sh*te performances lately rather than luck, it is better to see. Now we just gotta step up that gear so that by the time the 90th minute comes around we are in front by enough that a goal from the other side is nothing more than consolation.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #232: Nov 05, 2009 06:17:07 am
      We still have a chance and I feel in my heart we will qualify,It'll be a nail biter but its what we do best when the chips are down.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #233: Nov 05, 2009 06:32:46 am
      yet again another defensive mistake cost us and we really should be 3 points better off in the group (winning last night and drawing at Anfield)
      unfortunately we seem to be making these silly mistakes a lot this season but also punished every time one happens.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #234: Nov 05, 2009 07:04:22 am
       It was a match we could of and should of won,the Lyon keeper played a blinder but we should of put 3 past him in the first half.I thought we had nailed the 3 points when Babel scored but sadly it was not to be.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #235: Nov 05, 2009 07:11:28 am
      Thank F**k i didn't watch this before my exam. I read up on it though and was F***ing devastated. I heard of Ryan's belter and thought finally, surely a win and Ryan Babel doing something but when it read GOAL: Lyon 1-1 Liverpool my heart sank.

Would most of taken a draw as the result before the match? Most probably, and that's the perspective we need when consoling this result. But lord almighty, please send us some luck!

Gutted, but defiant and still F***ing proud.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #236: Nov 05, 2009 07:19:41 am
      Would most of taken a draw as the result before the match? Most probably, and that's the perspective we need when consoling this result. But lord almighty, please send us some luck!

I don't think anyone would have taken the draw beforehand, its out of our hands now so from our perspective before it was must win.
      I'm disappointed to say that I think we're out now, I'll keep the hope but my head is telling me Fiorentina will get the draw at least against Lyon and we won't beat them 3-0.
      On the actual performance I'm quite pleased. So many injuries would affect any team in the world so for the lads to go out and perform so well makes you proud. We could have scored more than the one but just didn't take our chances and unfortunately it cost us.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #237: Nov 05, 2009 07:27:16 am
      I am confident that we can beat Fiorentina 3-0. Look back to Wednesday, 8 December, 2004. Liverpool vs Olympiakos. Almost identical situation. We can do it again.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #238: Nov 05, 2009 07:35:04 am
      I am confident that we can beat Fiorentina 3-0. Look back to Wednesday, 8 December, 2004. Liverpool vs Olympiakos. Almost identical situation. We can do it again.
      You are a good man Joey,I like your attitude.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #239: Nov 05, 2009 07:39:09 am
      I don't think anyone would have taken the draw beforehand, its out of our hands now so from our perspective before it was must win.
      I'm disappointed to say that I think we're out now, I'll keep the hope but my head is telling me Fiorentina will get the draw at least against Lyon and we won't beat them 3-0.
      On the actual performance I'm quite pleased. So many injuries would affect any team in the world so for the lads to go out and perform so well makes you proud. We could have scored more than the one but just didn't take our chances and unfortunately it cost us.

With so many out, to expect a win would be quite foolish, especially against a full strength Lyon.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #240: Nov 05, 2009 07:52:09 am
      With so many out, to expect a win would be quite foolish, especially against a full strength Lyon.

It's not that I was expecting a win, it was that we had to win. You couldn't possibly accept a draw beforehand, the group is out of our hands now and I think that is last thing anyone wanted.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #241: Nov 05, 2009 07:56:57 am
      It's not that I was expecting a win, it was that we had to win. You couldn't possibly accept a draw beforehand, the group is out of our hands now and I think that is last thing anyone wanted.

I agree with you.

Yes, on paper a draw doesn't look like a bad result considering our injuries, but it wasn't good enough to keep us in control of our destiny.

I'm happy with the way some of the players performed and fought, all things considered, but I'm not happy with the draw because it leaves us counting on others.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #242: Nov 05, 2009 08:24:09 am
       :mad: :mad: :mad:
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #243: Nov 05, 2009 08:34:36 am
      Leon didn't get a look in tonight, untill the centre halfs mistake at the end, When the gods are conspiring against you, you just have to get onto it to turn it round. I thought Agger was wrong not to attack the ball and Kyriakos should never have slid in,, but tonight Agger should learn a valuable lesson and considering he's only 23 years old he has time on his side. I don't like to have a go at anyone out there tonight the whole team played really well, they kept Leon for the most part quiet and that's no mean feat considering the Euro record at home.

You cannot fault any one tonight, from the manager down to the players everyone gave their all, the team completely outplayed Leon, on another day we would have had four. After the match finished I felt we had been mugged, Carra, in his interveiw looked down, now the team has to pick themselves up of the floor and take it out on Brum on Monday.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #244: Nov 05, 2009 08:35:14 am
       :-[ Disappointed. We ought to have got that win.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #245: Nov 05, 2009 08:42:15 am
      P.S. Here's a thought, if we do not qualify we lose out on about 10 mill, How much is a decent Centre back worth. 1-5 mill. By the owners thinking.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #246: Nov 05, 2009 08:51:07 am
      Well they can f**k right off.

The team we put out tonight was almost unrecognisable compared to our full strength line up, yet we did enough to beat a fully equipped Lyon side if it weren't for one stupid cock up in the 90th minute.

Hardly the manager's fault our two central defenders went to sleep at the most crucial point of the match.
      Well said Ayrton mate , the team he put out last night played very well for 90 mins against a very inform Lyon team in there own backyard !
      It was far from our best side but overall a good performance for a change !
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #247: Nov 05, 2009 08:54:54 am
      We find ourselves in a situation whereby we have to come back from behind, but this time it's out of our hands.

I do hope Lyon do us a favour. It's only being fair to us don't you think so? I hope they play to their fullest potential in that game.

As for us we've got to only worry about ourselves. Up next is Debrecen, we've got to whack them to get our goal difference up. And even then it's only in that glimmer of hope that Lyon do not give any leeway to Viola.

I'm still confident. It will take that extra bit of effort, but no one should doubt that is it over. Cause it ain't.
      maxpinay
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #248: Nov 05, 2009 08:55:30 am
      where's lady luck when you need her?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #249: Nov 05, 2009 08:56:45 am
      Looking after ManUre judging by their match on Tues
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #250: Nov 05, 2009 08:59:47 am
      We find ourselves in a situation whereby we have to come back from behind, but this time it's out of our hands.

I do hope Lyon do us a favour. It's only being fair to us don't you think so? I hope they play to their fullest potential in that game.

As for us we've got to only worry about ourselves. Up next is Debrecen, we've got to whack them to get our goal difference up. And even then it's only in that glimmer of hope that Lyon do not give any leeway to Viola.

I'm still confident. It will take that extra bit of effort, but no one should doubt that is it over. Cause it ain't.

It's hard to be confident though ROF because even if we do put that extra bit of effort in, we could still end up with the Champions League's ugly sister. And it doesn't matter if we beat Debrecen 20-0, the group's decided by results between teams. So if Lyon do give us a lifeline by getting a draw, we still need to hammer Fiorentina 3-0.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #251: Nov 05, 2009 09:01:17 am
      So we have to hope that Fiorentina loses to Lyon and any win against them will do. That's the easiest it can be.

or

We can do it Liverpool style. We thrashed both of them and get them results when it matters most.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #252: Nov 05, 2009 09:04:36 am
      It's hard to be confident though ROF because even if we do put that extra bit of effort in, we could still end up with the Champions League's ugly sister. And it doesn't matter if we beat Debrecen 20-0, the group's decided by results between teams. So if Lyon do give us a lifeline by getting a draw, we still need to hammer Fiorentina 3-0.

Yes I get your point. It lies out of our hands due to some slack defending thinking we've secured all 3 points, and then blew it and we only have ourselves to blame for that.

However we ain't out yet so we've got to keep the optimism going. There's no point in the lads going into the Debrecen game with an attitude that 'whatever we do now might just go in waste'.

I rather think that 'what result we get now might go a long way in securing us CL success!'

Quick Reply