Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Tom Hicks: We will not sell any of our star players

Read 9850 times
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Re: Tom Hicks: We will not sell any of our star players
      Reply #69: Nov 12, 2009 12:54:52 am
      Having Hicks tell us no one will be sold, It's like asking a pirana not to bite you.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #70: Nov 12, 2009 01:01:24 am
      We havent anything to sell Hansel.

They are all in the garage mate, getting fixed.

Yould probably take your own Granny to Cash Converters if you had to.

God Bless America.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #71: Nov 12, 2009 01:38:42 am
      Rather than say "we will not sell any of our star players" 

I would sooner see him say    "we will be using some of the transfer budget to buy a significant player in January"
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #72: Nov 12, 2009 02:59:58 am
      "we will not sell any of our star players" says Mr Hicks
      I wonder if Real Madrid put say £20 million down for Rafa would he reject  that 

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #73: Nov 12, 2009 09:04:41 am
      The FA will never allow for players rights to be sold. The court case between Sheffield Utd and West Ham would re-open and we'd be back at square one.

Rafa said they rejected big bids for Fernando and he's the one i'd believe.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #74: Nov 12, 2009 01:06:30 pm
      When you going to be talking about what players we are going to sign you tw*t, we are Liverpool we don't sell our best players.
      luckofirish8
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 454 posts | 20 
      Reply #75: Nov 12, 2009 08:04:01 pm
      I'm new to football or "soccer" in my country, but I've decided to root for Liverpool.  Growing up I was never a big fan of the sport, like most American kids, I preferred football, basketball, or baseball.  However, recently I decided to set out and learn more about football.  I was looking for a team to root for and stumbled upon this website.  I decide that Liverpool was perfect, as they remind me of my favorite American football team...Notre Dame.  Two very proud teams with a history of great tradition and past success, but as of recently, have fallen on hard times.

While I'm sure I'll never be as big a Liverpool fans as all of you (and I may make some early enemies for saying this), but as for the idea of "THE LIVERPOOL WAY" it all sounds very well and good, but it truly means nothing.  My beloved Notre Dame had/has the same sense of entitlement or perception on our football fields.  Until both Notre Dame and Liverpool realize that what made their "way" was winning and doing it with class, others just perceive it to be arrogance.

If naming rights allow Liverpool to make whatever changes needed to take their rightful place a top the EPL, then isn't that "THE LIVERPOOL WAY"...The Reds will rise again, as I'm sure that one day my Fighting Irish will win a 13th National Championship in college football.  However, I know and understand it won't happen unless they adopt and change.  One poster stated THE OLD LIVERPOOL WAY could become THE NEW LIVERPOOL WAY.  You sir...are correct. In fact, it must.

I my just be another idiot w**ker like H&G, but today I became the newest Liverpool fan. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #76: Nov 12, 2009 08:15:36 pm
      Welcome mate.

Good Post.

Excellent choice of football club. We have something no other club has.

Tradition.

You ll Never Walk Alone.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #77: Nov 12, 2009 08:21:32 pm
      I'm new to football or "soccer" in my country, but I've decided to root for Liverpool.  Growing up I was never a big fan of the sport, like most American kids, I preferred football, basketball, or baseball.  However, recently I decided to set out and learn more about football.  I was looking for a team to root for and stumbled upon this website.  I decide that Liverpool was perfect, as they remind me of my favorite American football team...Notre Dame.  Two very proud teams with a history of great tradition and past success, but as of recently, have fallen on hard times.

While I'm sure I'll never be as big a Liverpool fans as all of you (and I may make some early enemies for saying this), but as for the idea of "THE LIVERPOOL WAY" it all sounds very well and good, but it truly means nothing.  My beloved Notre Dame had/has the same sense of entitlement or perception on our football fields.  Until both Notre Dame and Liverpool realize that what made their "way" was winning and doing it with class, others just perceive it to be arrogance.

If naming rights allow Liverpool to make whatever changes needed to take their rightful place a top the EPL, then isn't that "THE LIVERPOOL WAY"...The Reds will rise again, as I'm sure that one day my Fighting Irish will win a 13th National Championship in college football.  However, I know and understand it won't happen unless they adopt and change.  One poster stated THE OLD LIVERPOOL WAY could become THE NEW LIVERPOOL WAY.  You sir...are correct. In fact, it must.

I my just be another idiot w**ker like H&G, but today I became the newest Liverpool fan. 

Welcome luckofirish8.

Your opinion is welcome here. It's good to get the view of an outsider of the sport, never mind the club. There is a certain way that Liverpool does things. However it generally accepted that a few of the things we need to do nowadays will go against the general consensus of the club itself.

I think the majority of our fans are now so sick of not having a new stadium on the way, they don't care what it's going to be called as long was we get it. Had the work started a few seasons ago then I think there would be a lot more opposition to selling off the naming rights, especially as we had just got some new owners who we thought had brought a few quid with them.

But when you say the 'Liverpool Way' truly means nothing, I think you're only seeing a small part of it. It's alright to read about the way our club is ran and like how it sounds, but it's altogether a lot bigger than anyone can describe to you. It's not just about what the club does financially. It is a lot more than a simple appearance and presence. It's truly a modern following, almost religious, in comparison with other football, or 'soccer' (hate that word) clubs. It is not owned by any one, or indeed two in our case, people. This club is owned by the fans. For many many years now, the majority of decisions have been made for the fans, which is in a stark contrast to many other clubs in this country and indeed the world.

You could say we are selling our soul by selling the rights to the name of our new stadium. It's debatable whether there's much left to sell to the Devil now these two pr*cks at the top have been in and ran amok. But the end of it all, the ground will still be called Stanley Park, or whatever.
      luckofirish8
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 454 posts | 20 
      Reply #78: Nov 12, 2009 09:00:35 pm
      Thanks guys (or mates).  By the way, no need to call it "soccer" on my behalf.  It's football to you, I'll adjust.  Frankly, I'm not sure why we call our football...football.

CRK, you are correct in that I'll never completely understand what the "Liverpool Way" is, and to say it means nothing was probably to general of a statement.  In that particular circumstance, IMO it means nothing.  Again though, I'm new to this, and probably should not have opened my mouth.  My intention wasn't to make it sound as if the "Liverpool way" should be completely forgotten or done away with.  Lord knows, I would rather have Notre Dame lose the right way, as oppose to them winning every game the wrong way.  Part of that is knowing that when you do win the right way, it's even more gratifying knowing you were able to accomplish it that way. 

As stated before, the main reason I decide to root for Liverpool was because of the similarities between Liverpool and Notre Dame.  The other being that I knew the only way I would truly learn more about the sport was to develop a passion (to follow) for a specific team.

While not exactly the same, the "University of Notre Dame Football Way" isn't all that different from what you described above (as Liverpool).  In fact, I would say a lot of the same principals apply. I would never ask anyone to look into the history of Notre Dame football (as no one asked me to look around here), but the two are insanely similar.

It's also no surprise to me that two Americans (I want call us yanks, because I'm from the South) are running this ship into the ground.

Anyways, I'll go back to trolling the forum and trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #79: Nov 12, 2009 09:33:54 pm
      Hey.
      2 great posts and congratulations on not just plumping for the team at the top of the table or the one with the most merchandise on display.

I would never ask anyone to look into the history of Notre Dame football (as no one asked me to look around here)
      I think I will though.
      tear
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #80: Nov 13, 2009 03:35:40 am
      but suppose if we dont qualify for cl will hey sell fs and sg
      and btw should we consider their saying on this to be to be the bottom line
      and are you all afraid that we are the next leeds united?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #81: Nov 13, 2009 09:41:27 am
      Never sacrifice the Liverpool way ever... Mate I'll take yo back to the great man himself Shankly, Now Shankly was a visionary that set the precedent for other mangers to follow shanks was playing the 70's game in the 60's, the 80's game in the 70's what Shankly and Liverpool did other clubs tried to replicate on the back of his success.

Liverpool are now playing catch up in that department we in the very early 90's when we were at the pinacle of our success should have taken advantage of our global name and marketed Liverpool FC as a global brand. This is a department where we fell behind Manchester United and its taken 18 years for the likes of some one like Purslow and Ayres to realise the potential of Liverpool as a global Marketing tool.

Clubs like Arsenal, Man City, Bolton to name but a few have got New stadiums Tottenham are about to start building theirs. Do you want to wait another 18 years for a new stadium as we did for the club to be marketed properly ? I know I don't and I know one thing for certain Bill Shankly wouldn't have been happy with the club he launched onto 2 and a half decades of unrivalled success, standing in the shadows and playing catch up to inferior clubs.

The Liverpool way is to set the precedents for others to follow... The Shankly way

Exactimo.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #82: Nov 13, 2009 07:23:21 pm
      good posts luckofirish8  and welcome  to the world of football

Quick Reply