Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Uni help needed!!

Read 5626 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Uni help needed!!
      Nov 10, 2009 11:09:45 pm
      I am trying to decide what uni to goto next year for studies. My application needs to be in soon so i was hoping someone could give me a bit of help. I am currently considering a course in University of Ulster, Liverpool John Moores, Liverpool Hope, Edge Hill, Bolton Uni and Manchester Uni. I have a few questions though. How close and how easy is it to get to the city centre of liverpool from Edge Hill? What is Edge Hill like as an area? Are Liverpool Hope and John Moores in Liverpool City Centre? And with regards to any of the Uni's, has anyone ever studied their or known someone who has that could could provide me waith a bit of advice i.e did they enjoy themselves, did they learn a lot, what did they think of the Uni etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011 01:32:03 am by redkenny »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Uni help!!
      Reply #1: Nov 10, 2009 11:12:15 pm
      With regards to John Moores - not entirely sure but I think that's very spread out. I think there's definately a part of the campus which is very near to the City Centre however.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #2: Nov 10, 2009 11:33:18 pm
      Most of JMU is in city centre. Liverpool Hope is about twenty minutes on a bus into the city centre. I used to work at Hope. Was sh*t then, but that was ten years ago. My ex still works there and she's fit as though! ;)
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #3: Nov 14, 2009 12:06:59 pm
      Most of JMU is in city centre. Liverpool Hope is about twenty minutes on a bus into the city centre. I used to work at Hope. Was sh*t then, but that was ten years ago. My ex still works there and she's fit as though! ;)

You'v probably just sold it to me ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Nov 14, 2009 03:02:24 pm
      LJMU is mostly in town. The main bits by the museums and is very accessible. That parts for a lot of the mainstream uni stuff. I know science and psychology is in that part. The other is higher up Brownlow Hill by the two cathedrals. That's reasonably accessible anyway. My mate done finance and he was up there.

There's another part of LJMU in Aigburth, which is a bit of a bus ride from Liverpool City centre. My Missus is doing Travel and Leisure Management and she's in that building. The sport and dance students ;) are there too.

Not entirely sure on Liverpool Hope. All of it is in Childwall, which is, as Gow said, about 20 minutes on the bus. Went to a couple of open days but fancied LJMU more, so I went there and did Forensics and Psychology.

My experience there was fantastic. Amazing facilities and plenty of opportunites.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #5: Nov 15, 2009 02:28:44 pm

There's another part of LJMU in Aigburth, which is a bit of a bus ride from Liverpool City centre. My Missus is doing Travel and Leisure Management and she's in that building. The sport and dance students ;) are there too.

Mate, thats probably the building i would be in if i went to LJMU. I want to do something like Community Youth Work and that would be in the same sector as Leisure and Tourism. And of course, i am liking the idea of the dance students ;D cheers CRK
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #6: Nov 15, 2009 03:54:08 pm
      My son is at LJM and is having the time of his life. Going on his experience i would thoroughly recommend it
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #7: Nov 16, 2009 10:10:49 pm
      Right guys, thought you should know, i have picked my courses and Uni's. I have applied for 1 course each in Liverpool Hope, Liverpool John Moores, University of Ulster, University of Manchester and Sunderland Uni. :) Thanks for all your help.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #8: Jan 24, 2010 06:27:28 pm
      Guys, I have an offer from Liverpool John Moores, Liverpool Hope and Manchester Uni. Waiting on word from Sunderland and I got rejected by University of Ulster, which I honeslty cannot believe. University of Ulster and Liverpool John Moores were my favourite choices but now with UU out of the way and having an offer from LJMU, I will be gracing the streets of Liverpool from next September onwards :). Does anyone play 5-a-side Football that I could possibly join? And does anyone play for a team that I could possibly join? ;D
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #9: Jan 24, 2010 07:50:26 pm
      I've applied for Spanish and Maths at :
      Chester
      Manchester
      Sheffield
      Lancaster

So far I've had an offer from Lancaster but had the Manchester one rejected.

Still unsure what my first choice is, I think going to a few open days to see what each one is like will decide for me.

Anyone got any experience from Lancaster, Chester or Sheffield Uni?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Jan 24, 2010 10:17:47 pm
      I go to Chester mate, but I do Marketing.

What would you like to know?
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #11: Jan 24, 2010 10:32:16 pm
      What's the Uni like?

Do you live there or travel there everyday. So do you know what accomodation is like?
      What are the people like etc, whats the town like/night life, stuff like that
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #12: Jan 24, 2010 10:33:43 pm
      Ross goes there, so it must be boring ;)

Chester is a nice place actually. You might even see someone off Hollyoaks there.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #13: Jan 24, 2010 10:40:23 pm
      Ross goes there, so it must be boring ;)

Chester is a nice place actually. You might even see someone off Hollyoaks there.

Haha, one of my mates is on Hollyoaks! Well he's not my mate but was in my school year so i knew him. And now he's a big headed idiot :/

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Jan 25, 2010 06:07:23 pm
      What's the Uni like?

Do you live there or travel there everyday. So do you know what accomodation is like?
      What are the people like etc, whats the town like/night life, stuff like that

It's pretty small, but really nice.

I travel there but I have been in both private and halled accomodation and I was quite impressed by both actually considering other ones I've seen in the past.

Great thing is it's about 5 min walk away from the town centre which again I love.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #15: Jan 25, 2010 11:05:52 pm
      Thanks for the info ross :)

Hopefully i get to have a look around before i make my decision.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #16: Feb 15, 2010 01:06:49 am
      Was at Liverpool Hopes Applicants day in Liverpool on Saturday. Good Uni, really nice people but i didnt like the course, when i found out more info about it, that i applied for and i also thought it was a bit too far out of the city for my liking. However, such is the Irish interest in LJMU, they had an applicants day in Cookstown Co.Tyrone Northern Ireland last Saturday. I fell in love with the course i applied for and it is by far my top choice. I will be based in the campus that apparently is beside the Superlambannana. From what i know of it, it is about 10mins walk to the city centre and is opposite the library and the lecture halls. Hope to get over and see it soon enough. I am very very keen to goto LJMU so i guess i will be gracing the streets of Liverpool City very very soon.

I have been in Liverpool quite a lot over the years, whether it be for matches or something else. Each time, it has been a real pleasure being in the company of scousers. They, in many ways, are very similar to the Irish and i find it very easy to get on with them. My love of the City and its people was reconfirmed when i was over on Saturday. Liverpudlians are a credit to the city of Liverpool. I just get really excited for the next 4 years of fun that i will have in Liverpool :).
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Feb 15, 2010 01:24:49 am
      Liverpudlians are a credit to the city of Liverpool. I just get really excited for the next 4 years of fun that i will have in Liverpool :).

Glad to hear it mate.

Yeah, it's not even a ten minute walk into town, you're round the corner from Mathew St etc. That part of town you'll be living is the office district so there'll be loads of sexy girlies all suited up knocking about  ;)
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #18: Feb 15, 2010 01:40:28 am
      Glad to hear it mate.

Yeah, it's not even a ten minute walk into town, you're round the corner from Mathew St etc. That part of town you'll be living is the office district so there'll be loads of sexy girlies all suited up knocking about  ;)

Hahaha mate, i like your thinking  >:D. Like i have said in the past, i know my way about a good part of the city, but there is still quite a bit that i need to get to know. By the way, i want to make it clear, i wasn't surprised by how much i like Scousers, it just reconfirmed to me how helpful and nice the people are. Plus, some of them are hilarous. It will be nice to even possibly meet a couple of the members of the forum for a few drinks at different times of the years. Cheers everyone for the help :).
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #19: Feb 15, 2010 07:24:56 pm
      I got an offer from Chester, I need CCE in spanish maths and physics which should be easily achievable.
      There's an open day this week i think which i might go down to since it's half term and i might not get a chance to go to the others.
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #20: Feb 16, 2010 04:40:41 pm
      I got an offer from Chester, I need CCE in spanish maths and physics which should be easily achievable.
      There's an open day this week I think which I might go down to since it's half term and I might not get a chance to go to the others.

Well done mate. Good luck with the studies :).
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #21: Feb 16, 2010 04:50:07 pm
      Got to apply for universities at the end of this year. :|
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #22: Feb 16, 2010 04:54:19 pm
      Got to apply for universities at the end of this year. :|

Do you know what course you're going to apply for?

Got an interview end of this week which i am not ready for. :-\
      Semple
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #23: Feb 16, 2010 06:24:56 pm

Got an interview end of this week which I am not ready for. :-\

Congrats on getting the interview. Were is it for and what for? Just do some preperation and you will be grand. Best of luck for it.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #24: Feb 16, 2010 06:35:45 pm
      Good luck everyone with your applications etc. Hope you all get into where you want.

Very important that you're not pressured into anything though - give it a long good think unless you're already completely clear.

Seen so many people unhappy/dropping out with what they're doing over this past year.

And great stuff Alex, I'm at Chester! What course are you looking to do?
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #25: Feb 16, 2010 07:47:42 pm

Got an interview end of this week which i am not ready for. :-\

No idea, bit early for me I reckon.

What are you looking at doing and where?
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #26: Feb 16, 2010 08:06:25 pm

And great stuff Alex, I'm at Chester! What course are you looking to do?

I'm doing Maths combined with Spanish. Still unsure what i'd like to do as a career so i think maths with a language sort of keeps my options open a little.

I've thought about working in Spain for a bit in the future and on the course i get to do that in one of the years (i think the third), so that'd be something to look forward too aswell. I've got a bunch of mates there from the spanish exchange, it'd be good to see them again too :)

Have you enjoyed it there so far Ross?
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #27: Feb 17, 2010 09:39:55 am
      Congrats on getting the interview. Were is it for and what for? Just do some preperation and you will be grand. Best of luck for it.

No idea, bit early for me I reckon.

What are you looking at doing and where?

Its at Hertfordshire uni for Diagnostic Radiography. I've already had an interview for it at St George's Uni so i feel prepared but i'm still quite nervous. St George's is where i'm planning to go though, they've already made me an offer.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #28: Feb 24, 2011 01:31:41 am
      Bump.

A fellow red needs our help. She's looking for what LFC means to the fans. Just post in here what LFC means to you and she can take our views.

YNWA
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Uni help needed!!
      Reply #29: Feb 25, 2011 11:23:11 pm
      Thanks everyone.  :f_whistle:
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #30: Feb 26, 2011 01:23:48 am
      Redkenny, you know just as well as us that words can't describe what LFC means to us. ;) I wouldn't know where to start.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #31: Feb 26, 2011 03:10:09 am
      Very true mate.

But I thought LFC Reds would be willing to help a fellow red out when in need.

No one needs to start anywhere with LFC - it's an ongoing journey.  ;)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #32: Feb 26, 2011 09:11:24 pm
      Ken, I'm sure there's a thread already for what Liverpool FC means to the Fans, maybe that will help your mate hun.

I'll have a dig around.  ;)

Edit:  This any good hun?

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=18998.0
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #33: Feb 26, 2011 09:20:58 pm
      Hadn't seen this until now! Sorry mate.

To me, it is hard to explain in words. But simply put i guess - it's my way of life. It aint just a game, it's a religion. It defines how my mood is for a week depending on how a game goes, what a player or the manager says, or what kinda goal gets scored. I aint a religious person at all as far as 'traditional' religion goes - but im guessing that my love for Liverpool could be compared to how a bible basher feels about Jesus or whatever. Im nuts about it, i will defend its pride to the death, and if anyone dare tell me i spend too much time obsessing over it then they better watch out! :D I'm sure if i put more time into it i could express it better.. best i could think of right now though.

In short, i would say that first line sums it up though. It is indeed my way of life, my religion, and what defines me.

I have a quick question on uni as well - how important do people think it is to go to a decently recognized school in academic circles as far as getting a job in the future? Like going to a cheap school in comparison to one that may cost double, but is a good school with a name people know in those kind of circles? I'm just researching schools at the moment and wanna know what people think. Any guys/gals from the USA as well would be greatly appreciated! :)
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #34: Feb 26, 2011 10:37:29 pm
      I think it doesn't matter what school you go to as far as getting a job in the future. As long as the school teaches you the knowledge you need for that field, I believe you can get the job no matter what school you go to. There are so many schools in the USA with a lot of the same fields of studies, so it really doesn't matter which one you go to. Sometimes you get the best education from a smaller school rather than a popular one that everyone knows about. I would make the decision based on class sizes and what you expect to get out of being there.

I hope this helps a little bit.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #35: Feb 26, 2011 10:44:42 pm
      Thanks :) My thing is that Laura wants to move to NYC for her drama and try and crack broadway. And though I would like to, im not sure if I really like the idea of going to Uni there. It's a big city, and im from small towns. I have grown to like it here in Oregon for being a decent sized place but not too big that I feel out of place. I feel very comfortable getting around now, im settled, and enjoying studying here, so I kinda would like to continue at the University of Oregon once im done with the two years at community college. Laura had picked out a city university in NYC as a cheap option but I just aint comfortable with it, then NYU is even more expensive than UofO and then thats not even including the hugely more expensive living in New York.

Basically I would love to stay here until im done with college then go to New York. So I dunno how hard I should push Laura with the idea, cos I know its her dream to go there. Not that im against the idea at all, just not sure I wanna go there yet since another big move would just mean I have to start all over again as far as getting settled, and I already made the move to the country only 18 months ago. I really like the feel of the UofO and the lifestyle, so the idea of going to Uni there is exciting to me.

Tough decision! :D
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #36: Feb 26, 2011 11:17:02 pm
      That is a tough decision. Good Luck with everything.

Quick Reply