Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Ipod Help

Read 2099 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Ipod Help
      May 01, 2009 07:03:55 pm
      I have an Ipod Classic 120gb

The computer that I use to sync my Ipod is currently broke, I'm not sure whether it will be okay after repair or not but I'm looking for another method of syncing because there are so many songs that I want to add.

The other computer available to me is my brother's laptop which has Itunes. However, he uses it to sync his Ipod Shuffle. I was wondering whether it is possible for me to use his Itunes on his laptop to sync and charge my Ipod? I have heard that if you try to connect your Ipod to another computer/Itunes it will wipe the Ipod clean and obviously I don't want this to happen.

Can anybody help me out please?
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Re: Ipod Help
      Reply #1: May 01, 2009 07:11:01 pm
      It depends on the settings of your ipod.
      You should be able to plug it into his laptop to charge it without having to do anything else.
      If itunes opens when you plug it in it may ask if you want to sync it with his itunes so just say no.

Your ipod should still appear in his itunes and if you change the sync setting from automatic to manual you can just plug it into his itunes, drag songs onto your ipod and disconnect without losing any of the current music you have on your ipod.

The main thing is that if you connect to itunes don't allow your ipod to sync automatically as that's what will cause it to wipe off your music.
      Just make sure the settings in itunes for your ipod is set to sync manually. There will also be an option in there somewhere to only open itunes when you want to and not to open automatically when it detects an ipod connected. It's handy for charging your ipod without having any pop ups from itunes that you mightn't understand.

Hope i helped :) Any more questions or if any of that was unclear i'll add more :)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: May 01, 2009 07:18:29 pm
      Thankyou very much mate that helps a lot!

I'm just worried though that if I connected my Ipod it would indeed sync automatically, is there any way of making sure this doesn't happen?
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #3: May 01, 2009 07:24:21 pm
      It wouldn't sync automatically without asking your permission. If you plugged it in and a message popped up warning you that it may sync automatically, don't press ok, just unplug it. But you should just be able to say no and then change to sync manually under the setting in itunes once itunes has detected your ipod.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: May 01, 2009 07:37:23 pm
      I'm a bit cautious of doing it to be honest in case anything goes wrong, I couldn't be doing without any songs on my Ipod for a while not to mention how annoying it would be!

I think I'll see how close the main computer is to being fixed and if it's close then I'll wait it out. If not, then I think I will indeed use my brothers laptop to sync.

Thanks for all your help mate.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #5: May 01, 2009 07:48:55 pm
      Btw do you have all your music from your ipod on cd or are they all downloads? If they are cd you can load them onto your brothers laptop. If they are downloads from itunes you can sign into your itunes account on his laptop and download them to his itunes.
      If they are downloads from limewire, torrents etc and they are only saved to your hard drive on your old pc then i'd say the safest option is to wait for your pc to be fixed and then backup your ipod. :)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: May 01, 2009 07:51:49 pm
      In that case, I best wait ;).

Hahaha, although most of my music does come from CD's and proper Itunes downloads.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      Reply #7: May 01, 2009 07:53:08 pm
      Yeah, mines a mixture of itunes downloads, CD's and errr  :f_whistle: other downloads  :f_whistle:
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #8: Jan 21, 2010 05:48:30 pm
      I got an ipod touch for christmas in america where everything worked fine. Got back in England and the internet won't work it sayds i'm connected but if I go on an app that needs internet it tells me that I can't connect to it as there is an invalid argument.

Quick Reply