Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Two hold or not two hold.....

Read 6801 times
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Re: Two hold or not two hold.....
      Reply #46: Nov 11, 2009 04:25:25 pm
      Get a grip.

Gerrard did a perfectly good job there two years ago.  Playing Gerrard in a position he has played in for a season for us and even for England is not the same as putting Torres left back now is it?

Agreed, look at the position Gerrard takes up for England, if hes on the right he's always going to cut it, it leaves room on the flank for Johnson.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #47: Nov 11, 2009 04:31:24 pm
      One holding midfielder and one slightly more forward and attacking means not having Masch andLucas in the side at the same time.When Gerrard came on it was like a light going on he is so more intelligent than his team mates and if Aquilani is on the same  wavelength then they will be able to play any formation  as long as they both start. Stevie plays on the left for England so his position is basically anywhere north of the back four although at present I wouldnt mind him doing a shift back there.
      Paul LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 260 posts | -1 
      Reply #48: Nov 11, 2009 05:37:05 pm
      Yes we lack a creative spark in midfield but there is a simple solution to this problem put Aquilani in instead of lucas when he's fit because Aquilani has the class to get forward and score goals and make those passes which enable the likes of Gerrard and Torres to get the goals to win us matches. Lucas has become a better player but he doesn't have that attacking/goal scoring side to him.
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #49: Nov 11, 2009 06:32:05 pm
      I say Lucas out on loan for next season, use Masch next to Aqui then when Masch has a hissy fit, we sell him for big bucks and bring back a more experienced and improved Lucas to replace him in the holding position.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #50: Nov 11, 2009 06:56:15 pm
      No doubt in training Rafa will try out various scenarios ,attacking / creative midfield and holding / defensive midfield, Aquilani is definitely attack minded and according to John Arne Riise is a major talent,so for me as soon as he is injury free he needs to be in the team getting match fit ,so i would start with Aquilani  ( who would allow Stevie G to roam and raid ) and Masch, Lucas has been having better games but needs to be more clinical around the goal area ,we have to believe Aquilani is the missing link for us to turn our season around
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #51: Nov 11, 2009 08:02:17 pm
      Our 2 holding midfielders are great on the ground, but totally sh*t in the air. It is kind of pointless to have 2 hold midfield who has the same weakness. Maybe when Aquilani is fit things will change a bit.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #52: Nov 11, 2009 09:27:30 pm
      Our 2 holding midfielders are great on the ground, but totally sh*t in the air. It is kind of pointless to have 2 hold midfield who has the same weakness. Maybe when Aquilani is fit things will change a bit.

Lucas actually isn't that bad in the air. He wins his fair share of headers in the box.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #53: Nov 11, 2009 11:11:22 pm
      I'll ask you this then: when Aquilani is match fit do we continue with the two holding or do we drop one to make way for the 'spark' that The Little Prince may bring?

This is just my opinion. And I could be wrong. But I'm guessing Mascherano's name may usually, possibly, be on the team sheet before Lucas'. Mascherano is fundamentally a holding midfielder and one of the worlds best at it.

Also, I thought Lucas was having a good game on Monday, but he was subbed for Aquilani. Would be interesting to know how often Lucas has been subbed tactically, when he's started the game. Especially since his form has improved.

We obviously haven't seen enough of Aquilani in a red shirt to form a strong opinion on him. But if what we've read is true about him adding a lot of flare or a spark in the midfield - plus the fact he's cost a lot of money, then he's more likely to get in ahead of either Mascherano or Lucas. Isn't he?

The only realistic way of having all three players on the pitch is by dropping Kuyt and having Gerrard on the right. But I can't see that happening. That doesn't mean it won't happen though.

It'll be interesting to see if that sub on Monday night speaks volumes.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #54: Nov 12, 2009 09:10:58 am

Newcastle were having nightmares of Lucas winning headers last season.

If Mascherano wins an aerial contest, that defender should be sacked :D
      fazza21
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 814 posts | 29 
      Reply #55: Nov 12, 2009 09:57:26 am
      I say Lucas out on loan for next season, use Masch next to Aqui then when Masch has a hissy fit, we sell him for big bucks and bring back a more experienced and improved Lucas to replace him in the holding position.

is that some sort of joke?

Unless mascherano is dying to leave and no longer wants to play for LFC, why sell him? He's the best holding midfielder in the world IMO, certainly the best in the premiership.

Even if you got 30 million for him, its pointless. The yanks would pocket half of it and you would never find anybody as good as him.

And sending lucas out on loan? I don't think LFC can afford to let anybody out on loan to be quite honest! Were short-staffed as it is.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #56: Nov 12, 2009 11:20:20 am
      This will be Rafas 1st choice team when all fit.

---------- Riena ------------------
      Johnson-Carra-Agger-Aurellio
      ------------ Masch ----------------
      - Kuyt-Gerrard-Aquilani-Riera
      ------------- Torres ---------------

He will rotate, skirtel for Agger, Riera&kuyt for yossi & Babel, and lucas for any of the 3 central guys.

But Im defo convinced he will drop the 2 holding guys in favour of 1!

Quick Reply