Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Silver lining to the injury crisis?

Read 2112 times
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Silver lining to the injury crisis?
      Jan 22, 2010 10:01:47 pm
      with Stevie, Nando and Benayoun out, does anyone think the other lads will be forced into a change of tactics and possibly shine through with some quality not seen under usual circumstances?

will we see players taking more assertive roles and producing results?

the spurs game definitely showed the world we have a team of more than two men (although they did put on a sh*t team, probably all that tax evasion business clouding harry's mind)

I know Stevie will be training at the weekend and I couldn't be happier but I think the players are being wasted

Stevie's distribution is priceless and he'll get into position for a shot on goal wherever he plays so why not play him in CM and have Aquilani or Kuyt behind Torres?

discuss
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Re: Silver lining to the injury crisis?
      Reply #1: Jan 23, 2010 06:12:33 am
      Spurs didn't put on a sh*t team. On paper their attack was much better than ours. We played badly but beat them through sheer will power.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Reply #2: Jan 23, 2010 06:26:11 am
      Spurs didn't put on a sh*t team. On paper their attack was much better than ours. We played badly but beat them through sheer will power.

We didn't play badly. Alot of players had a good game.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #3: Jan 23, 2010 07:49:53 am
      The two man team thing really pisses me off. Of course we are going to miss Steven and Nando, any team in the world would but did notice NONE of the press said after the game "liverpool won that without their two best players" whereas if we had lost the usual "two man team" sh*t would be flowing. Its just rubbish lazy journalism.

Anyway, in answer to your question...yes...there maybe a silver lining. Dirk and Reira stepped up to the level on Wednesday for me and Kyriagos has been a rock the last two games.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #4: Jan 23, 2010 07:50:36 am
      I think, or hope that Rafa could urge and inspire his usual periphial players to stand up and be accounted for when the two of our most talismatic players are out injured. Lets not forget the side pulled out performances before without the likes of Gerrard and Torres, notably against the Mancs last year and won.

I maintain the belief though that the side that beat Tottenham a few days back was lifted by the support of the crowd before and during the game. Had we'd seen Anfield on a quiet night, where tension, frustration and a sense of panic had been setting amongst the fans, then Tottenham would of probably won IMO.

Lets make no bones about it, out of the two sides Tottenham were the footballing side and moved the ball around better than we did, they were better in possession. Where as, we were better in passion and spirit and the fans played a massive part in that. I personally thought that our team did look very average especially on the ball; infact it has looked pretty average all season with Gerrard and Torres in the side. But for my liking there are a few too many average players in the team at the moment and we shouldn't be surprised with average performances. Kuyt and N'gog stood up and were accounted for which was good to see as neither IMO are players that inspire by quality, Kuyt more so. But against Spurs Kuyt found his shooting boots and N'gog for me changed us as a proposition when he came on, he definately looks better from the bench as an impact player.

We need to build on and start some momentum and confidence building, so regarding tactics and formations well, I wouldn't go chopping and changing around personel and tactics too much.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Jan 23, 2010 08:08:48 am
      I maintain the belief though that the side that beat Tottenham a few days back was lifted by the support of the crowd before and during the game. Had we'd seen Anfield on a quiet night, where tension, frustration and a sense of panic had been setting amongst the fans, then Tottenham would of probably won IMO.

So if we played sh*t, they would of won - duh. Well we didn't and they didn't so we deserved the win.

Lets make no bones about it, out of the two sides Tottenham were the footballing side and moved the ball around better than we did, they were better in possession. Where as, we were better in passion and spirit and the fans played a massive part in that. I personally thought that our team did look very average especially on the ball; infact it has looked pretty average all season with Gerrard and Torres in the side.

Quite harsh. They did absolutely nothing with the ball and their retention was poorer than ours. I don't recall once their 'hoof it to Crouchy' tactic worked. They created less than us, were out-thought largely and the immense pressure on the ball our men in red applied gave them nothing. I think i recall one opportunity to Modric i think it was on the stroke of half-time.

Rafa and the lads outclassed them and they had nothing in attack. We were brilliant in defence, combative in midfield and punishing in attack.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      Reply #6: Jan 23, 2010 08:41:31 am
      So if we played sh*t, they would of won - duh. Well we didn't and they didn't so we deserved the win.

Quite harsh. They did absolutely nothing with the ball and their retention was poorer than ours. I don't recall once their 'hoof it to Crouchy' tactic worked. They created less than us, were out-thought largely and the immense pressure on the ball our men in red applied gave them nothing. I think I recall one opportunity to Modric I think it was on the stroke of half-time.

Rafa and the lads outclassed them and they had nothing in attack. We were brilliant in defence, combative in midfield and punishing in attack.

Your all over me like a rash aren't you.

I said that out of the two teams Spurs played the better football and their passing was better thats my opinion. They had more ideas of using the ball better, yes they did play long passes to Crouch, different to Carra just hoofing it though.

We did press them well though, we worked better without the ball and Spurs did leave a lot of room inbetween their midfield and defence to exploit. Gerrard would of had a field day in there!

I didn't say we played s/hit did I?

Or is better I just say we're boss and played the best one touch football ever seen. Infact we gave Spurs a footballing lesson didn't we, we showed them how to use our creativity and tempo to control an easy game against s.hite opposition.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #7: Jan 23, 2010 08:52:49 am
      Well honestly, you said that in a way, just in a more eloquent way. You were basically saying that the win was all down to the crowd, and nothing to do with the players on the pitch. Crowd did have a say, yeah, but the players showed some balls out there and should get some credit. We outplayed Tottenham, simple. May not have been the most prettiest way, but we did.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      Reply #8: Jan 23, 2010 08:56:44 am
      I'm sorry for posting.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Jan 23, 2010 09:03:01 am
      Ah dont be petty, I was just saying the tone of your post seemed to say that we got lucky in a way, when we fully deserved the win. Thats all.

EDIT: Anyways, nothing to do with the topic really. So we'll leave it at that shall we.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Jan 23, 2010 09:46:42 am

I said that out of the two teams Spurs played the better football and their passing was better thats my opinion. They had more ideas of using the ball better, yes they did play long passes to Crouch, different to Carra just hoofing it though.

We did press them well though, we worked better without the ball and Spurs did leave a lot of room inbetween their midfield and defence to exploit. Gerrard would of had a field day in there!

See I can agree with all that as that pretty much mirrors how I saw the game, where we beat Tottenham is we did not let them play the type of football they wanted to, make no bones about it, it was our work off the ball that battered Tottenham into submission not our slick passing game that led to us carving them open at every opportunity.

Now injuries have played a massive part in the situation we find ourselves in this season without a doubt, consistency is the key to any clubs to success, and with us not being able to send out an unchanged line up  for more than 2/3 games at the very most we have not been able to build any sort of momentum form or  consistency. So hopefully even though we have a number of players still out the players we do have at our disposal will stay injury free and find that fighting spirit inside themselves again and go put a little run together and find what we have been lacking all season.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #11: Jan 23, 2010 10:41:35 am
      There is a Silver Lining as I see it.

If we can stay in touch with fourth place with our current injury list then when our boys come back, we can really truck on, to May.

The Gaffa said we'd get a top- four place.
      Believe.

Reasons to be Cheerful.
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #12: Jan 23, 2010 10:56:39 am
      I believe that the win on wednesday has shown the pr*icks and doubters that we can win without nando, Stevie & Yossi.

Maybe Rafa has looked back to Istanbul at half time and delivered a similar speech at the halfway point in the season to kick us up the arse??

Siempre Es Posible, no?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #13: Jan 23, 2010 12:50:50 pm
      Yes they will, but they should do it all the time.

When Torres & Gerrard are playing sometimes the rest wait on something happening, if they start putting the same effort as the spurs game into all games we will climb the table, and win the Europa Cup!

Come on the REDS!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Jan 23, 2010 12:53:33 pm
      I'd love to see a "Silva" lining to our current injury crisis, now that would really make my year ;D
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #15: Jan 23, 2010 12:56:59 pm
      I'd love to see a "Silva" lining to our current injury crisis, now that would really make my year ;D

Same Here ;D ;D ;D
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #16: Jan 23, 2010 05:17:00 pm
      We enjoyed watching the match. They played as a team with something to prove. Well done to the crowd for their amazing support. Can we have it like that every match...if you aren't going to shout and sing and get behind the team...please give your ticket to someone who will.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,854 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #17: Jan 23, 2010 09:24:28 pm
      The performance against Spurs was one of determination and displayed the talents of Alberto Aquilani and Sotis Kyrgiakos,the big defended I thought had a good game defending everything in sight,Alberto tried to find the killer ball and distributed the ball well because Masch was like the team's minder putting the bite on everyone,so yes, for me it showed we can adapt without key players if we have to
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: Jan 24, 2010 12:51:44 am
      Your all over me like a rash aren't you.

I didn't say we played s/hit did I?

Or is better I just say we're boss and played the best one touch football ever seen. Infact we gave Spurs a footballing lesson didn't we, we showed them how to use our creativity and tempo to control an easy game against s.hite opposition.

Quit crying. Your one who pains about giving opinion so back your word and accept when people respond.

Anyway.

Your sort of being a hypocrite and two-faced in your opinion with theirs and our tactics. With their hoof ball, it's playing it to Crouchy via long passes, but Carra is 'hoofing' it. Same thing. They looked for someone to bring it down, as did Carra and co.

You didn't say we were sh*t, but you said take away all the factors to why we won, and Tottenham would of won. Well no sh*t, mate. Do that for every side that wins and they'll either lose/draw.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      Reply #19: Jan 24, 2010 07:59:27 am
      Quit crying. Your one who pains about giving opinion so back your word and accept when people respond.

Anyway.

Your sort of being a hypocrite and two-faced in your opinion with theirs and our tactics. With their hoof ball, it's playing it to Crouchy via long passes, but Carra is 'hoofing' it. Same thing. They looked for someone to bring it down, as did Carra and co.

You didn't say we were sh*t, but you said take away all the factors to why we won, and Tottenham would of won. Well no sh*t, mate. Do that for every side that wins and they'll either lose/draw.

You are a fecking idiot of a poster, its just a shame I can't send you bad karma as you and you silly little friends have been giving me via abuse.

Whoppers, you know as much about football as an AFL fan, typical....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #20: Jan 24, 2010 08:25:02 am
      You are a fecking idiot of a poster, its just a shame I can't send you bad karma as you and you silly little friends have been giving me via abuse.

Whoppers, you know as much about football as an AFL fan, typical....

I can't give out karma either, buddy.

And stop resorting to insults when you run out of things to say.

No one cares about your little issues, keep them to yourself and keep on topic.

The performance against Spurs was one of determination and displayed the talents of Alberto Aquilani and Sotis Kyrgiakos,the big defended I thought had a good game defending everything in sight,Alberto tried to find the killer ball and distributed the ball well because Masch was like the team's minder putting the bite on everyone,so yes, for me it showed we can adapt without key players if we have to

Agreed there mate. It was a game where both of them had a chance to show what they're about and did so, very well.

I think someone who has some fans thinking of shifting Gerrard to accommodate him (Aquilani) is doing something right and he's only going to get better.

Quick Reply